April 24, 2024, 08:18:28 PM

Author Topic: UK-Based goalie makes Britain's University team.  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
UK-Based goalie makes Britain's University team.
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
UK-Based goalie makes Britain's University team.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Former Trinidad and Tobago National Under 20 and Under 17 goalkeeper Andre Charles has been included in Great Britain’s World University Games team and is hoping it opens up doors for him to enter the professional ranks.
Charles represented this country at the Under 17 World qualifiers in Bermuda in 2002 and then subsequently was with the team during the 2004 Under 20 qualifiers.
The 21-year-old custodian has been attached to Southampton Solent University and is now keen to take up football full time on a professional level. And he has some feeling of that arena having had a trial with Chelsea and a training stint with West Ham United.
He has also played with English non-League sides AFC Totton, Salisbury City and (Lymington &) New Milton while studying in Hampshire.
He holds a dual passport, having moved to England at the age of four after being born in Point Fortin, Trinidad and is pumped up over his selection in Graeme Dell's 20-strong squad for next month's (August's) World University Games in Bangkok, Thailand, where Britain have been drawn in Pool D with Morocco, Mexico and Kazakhstan.
"I'm hoping there will be some scouts watching in Bangkok. I'd like to turn professional but you've got to be realistic about it. I'll have to wait and see what happens,” Charles told The Echo newspaper this week.
Current T&T Olympic team coach Michael McComie, who was the assistant coach of the T&T Under 17 team in 2002, is aware of the youngster’s movements and said the team could possibly consider him for upcoming Olympic qualifying matches.
Charles is hoping to make an impression at the University games and wear the T&T shirt again soon.
“I’m keeping busy and hopefully I can do enough to warrant another pick for Trinidad and Tobago in the future,” Charles added to TTFF Media.
Meanwhile, MLS striker Robbie Findley says he will closely consider his options which ever comes knocking as he decides on an international future with either United States or Trinidad and Tobago.
Findley moved from LA Galaxy to Real Salt Lake last month and scored a double in his club’s first win over DC United couple weekends back. The 22-year-old has dual citizenship.
“It's tough," Findley said. "I kind of want to keep my options open. I haven't closed the door on playing for either of them,” he added on the matter of choice. He has already been part of a T&T training camp in the past while at college in the US.

Andre Charles
TT youth player targets UK pro deal.
By: Wendy Gee (Newsday).

Former Southampton Solent University student Andre Foster is hoping his inclusion in Great Britain’s World University Games football squad will get him a route into the professional ranks.
The 21-year-old, 6ft 4in goalkeeper is keen to go full-time after completing a degree in football studies in Southampton.
And, handily, there are few bigger shop windows than the globally known Universiade’ - the third largest multi-sport event on the planet behind the summer Olympics and the Asian Games.
Foster, who played for ex-Saint Jon Gittens’ Team Solent student side while at university, has had a trial in the past with Premiership giants Chelsea and also joined in a training session with West Ham.
He had brief spells with local non-League sides AFC Totton, Salisbury City and (Lymington &) New Milton while studying in Hampshire.
He also played 39 games for Burgess Hill Town last season in the Isthmian League Division 1 South.
Born in Trinidad, Foster has represented Trinidad and Tobago at under-17 and under-20 level, including the World Youth Cup qualifiers, and is hoping for a call-up to their under-23 squad for the forthcoming Olympic qualifiers.
But he holds a dual passport, having moved to England at the age of four, and is chuffed to be included in Graeme Dell’s 20-strong squad for next month’s (August’s) World University Games in Bangkok, Thailand, where Britain have been drawn in Pool D with Morocco, Mexico and Kazakhstan.
Now back home awaiting his exam results in Southend, Essex, Foster has no immediate plans for next season, but said: “I’m hoping there will be some scouts watching in Bangkok.
“I’d like to turn professional but you’ve got to be realistic about it. I’ll have to wait and see what happens.”
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:48:52 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UK-Based goalie makes Britain's University team.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:42:19 PM »
best of luck to both
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>