April 17, 2024, 09:13:45 PM

Author Topic: Olympic footballers put four past Tobago Utd.  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Olympic footballers put four past Tobago Utd.
« on: July 18, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »
Olympic footballers put four past Tobago Utd.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympic football squad, warmed up for the beginning of their qualifying campaign next month with a 4-1 win over Pro League club Tobago United in a training affair at the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Tuesday.
The team, comprising several home-based professional players, dominated large parts of the proceedings taking an unreachable 3-0 half time lead before getting another seven minutes from time before Tobago United pulled one back just before the end.
National senior team midfielder Keon Daniel and Tobago’s Devon Leacock marshaled the T&T midfield and both got their names on the scoresheet.
US-based striker Stefan St Louis had a goal ruled off side before Daniel struck in the 11th minute with a free kick from 20 yards out. Leacock nailed a rebound in the 33rd after a Shane Calderon effort was partially stopped.
St Louis then made up for his earlier cancellation when he impressed all with well taken goal in the 45th minute. He controlled with his chest before volleying into the far post from just inside the penalty box for a 3-0 lead.
Caledonia AIA’s Carlyle Mitchell then got the fourth item after rebound from a shot by Joe Public’s Silas Spann. Striker Christopher Sam had four chances on goal but had nothing to show for his persistence.
Team coach Michael McComie commended his team for picking up their  intensity in the encounter.
“We are trying to work on cohesiveness and trying to change up the system a bit to suit our style of play,”McComie told TTFF Media after the game. “It was pleasing to see the way they picked up their pace in the game… regaining possession at a better rate as well.
“Right now our aim is to keep the shape for longer periods. We are training twice per day and varying the sessions. We put some load on the players in the morning and then played the game in the evening and they responded well which is a good sign.”
“I was impressed with the work rate and the players’ willingness to carry out instructions and try to execute their roles on the field. Tobago United is a much stronger outfit than last season and to see our team out do them in terms of possession was a good sight,” McComie added. There were some thumbs up for Leacock, Daniel, St Louis, W Connection’s Calderon who skippered the team in the game, and substitutes Kevin Rouse and Simeon Augustus of United Petrotrin.
He has head coach Wim Rijsbergen assisting him in preparing the team for its CFU leg of qualifiers in Suriname next month. Rijsbergen also accompanied the Under 17s on its recent two-match tour of Peru. Assistant Jan Van Deinsen is currently back in Holland because of a back injury. T&T faces Suriname, Netherlands Antilles and Guyana in their first phase of the competition from August 31-September 4.
The team is based at Tobago Island Suites and will tackle a Tobago Combined outfit at 4pm at the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Thursday.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:36:07 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic footballers put four past Tobago Utd.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:56:23 PM »
Nice to see Wim getting involved in the youth setup.  That is critical for the next generation of Soca Warriors.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »
Thanks for the report Shaun.

This is a nice team, maybe McComie should include Randanfar Abu Bakar on this team and if we make it to the final stage there is many more foreign players eligible for selection like Javed Mohammed, Matthew Bartholomew, Robbie Findley, Ricky Shakes, Edson Elcock, Andre Charles and Aaron Downing.

Andre Boucaud and Christopher Birchall (blacklisted) might be eligible for selection too. ? We could really put together a strong Olympic side here.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:11:22 PM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:13:39 PM »
We done late so pleezeeeeeeeeeeee explain to me why we playin te worst team in the Proleague. I guess I eh have tosay praise God it eh WASA Loud steupssssssssssssssss
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:25:01 PM »
We done late so pleezeeeeeeeeeeee explain to me why we playin te worst team in the Proleague. I guess I eh have tosay praise God it eh WASA Loud steupssssssssssssssss

lol...this is good practice for Tobago, wha u feel it is?  ;D
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
Thanks Midnight I was mislead to believe that we are preparing for Olympic qualification.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »
I agree with Weary1969,
                                    This Olimpic should be playing some tough matches before qualifications. As a matter of fact, this team should be playing in the current Panam games. There they would have gotten good practice. Unfortunately they were not even prepared properly for the Panam games qualification. It seems to be the same for the Olimpics. If Birchal, Kenwyne Jones and Boucaud are young enough, they should be on the squad.

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:06:59 PM »
I see them training and i think that they are doing like the qualification is a walk in the park,maybe against the other caribbean teams but T& T should look further down the road to the bigger opponents in central and north america.The training is of a very low and unprofessional standard, very unimaginative and if they continue like that we have no Bejing to see.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
I saw the antics of the coach sat so I eh expect that they look unprofessional. Sheep doh make goat

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »
I see them training and i think that they are doing like the qualification is a walk in the park,maybe against the other caribbean teams but T& T should look further down the road to the bigger opponents in central and north america.The training is of a very low and unprofessional standard, very unimaginative and if they continue like that we have no Bejing to see.

Which country places an EMPHASIS on U23 football?  Few, if any do.

One might answer Argentina or Nigeria etc because they've won in the past....but I disagree.  They send a team and perhaps they win the competition....but there's no real development at the U23 level.  People resources done scarce as it is so what they do is focus their efforts at the U15, U17, U20 and Senior level.  That's where the real development happens.  That's where the real resources are allocated.  U23 is a marketing exercise based on representation at the Olympics, a grand world stage for the biggest sport of them all.   It's why they had to allow overaged players in the Olympics more for marketing than anything else.

It would be "nice" to see T&T at the Olympics but in the overall scheme of things, those players eligible for U23 level should have already been developed for the National Senior team and working their way to gaining selection there.  I can't see TTFF throwing scarce resources at an Olympic team when it have a U 17 team goin to Korea and a Senior team WCQ to come plus developin a U15 squad.

Then again....this IS the TTFF.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »
any confirmation of this game today? wasnt it supposed to be a game tomorrow against de super league team?

and shawn how yuh could write a report if yuh wasnt there but then again thats your wock

fellers it had 18 people in de stands :rotfl:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
Palos,
         I disagree with you padnah. The OG is a stepping stone to the WC. In many instances many Olimpic players ended up playing in the WC. Platini, Romario, Roger Miller, etc to name a few. Olimpics is a big tournament and a tough one. How come Brazil never won it. The problem with Olimpic football is that it has to share the spotlight with all other sports. If you in America, 55% of the games shown on TV is gymnastics and 000.1 % football. Some of the guys on the current senior squad should be with the OG team. I think they should spend the resources on the the team. Olimpic football is big money. Football get the most crowd. Don't dis Olimpic football.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
Fuentes pay 1 ah the 18 to write d story for him

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »
Palos,
         I disagree with you padnah. The OG is a stepping stone to the WC. In many instances many Olimpic players ended up playing in the WC. Platini, Romario, Roger Miller, etc to name a few. Olimpics is a big tournament and a tough one. How come Brazil never won it. The problem with Olimpic football is that it has to share the spotlight with all other sports. If you in America, 55% of the games shown on TV is gymnastics and 000.1 % football. Some of the guys on the current senior squad should be with the OG team. I think they should spend the resources on the the team. Olimpic football is big money. Football get the most crowd. Don't dis Olimpic football.

We go agree to disagree on dis one.

Respeck.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
I have to agree with Palos here. Players eligible for the olympics are for the most part already developed, and on senior teams. The Olympics is not a stepping stone to the WC, the WC is the WC. National teams don't prepare as aggressively for the Olympics, they usuassly put there best U-23 together a few weeks before qualifers, and send them on, without any major hoopla etc. They particpate in the Olympics because of the history of the Event.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 07:34:27 PM »
I cool!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 09:58:42 PM »
They need to make th eOlympic football competition like basketball so all your stars could turn upand it gobe a mini WC. That go be sweet

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »
FIFA don't want that. They don't want to share the money with the IOC. Their WC must be primacy. They want all the money. That is why they broke from the IOC in the first place and hosted the 1st WC in Uraguay. Uraguay had won the previous OG and was the de facto world champions in football.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:14 PM »
Nice to see Wim getting involved in the youth setup.  That is critical for the next generation of Soca Warriors.

Wim is really the man (and mind) behind all of our men's national teams.  The appointed coaches (Michael McComie, Anton Corneal, and whoever is in charge of our U-20 team, etc) are just there to learn how to be a coach.  They might be leading the teams out onto the fields and making all the media appearances, post match comments, etc, but is really Wim who is the man that running these teams.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 11:29:43 AM »
any confirmation of this game today? wasnt it supposed to be a game tomorrow against de super league team?

and shawn how yuh could write a report if yuh wasnt there but then again thats your wock

fellers it had 18 people in de stands :rotfl:
The game yesterday had the same scoreline - 4 - 1. Don't have the scorers.
Live large and prosper!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
U-23s impress coach McComie
By JOEL BAILEY Friday, July 27 2007

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s Under-23 assistant football team coach Michael McComie is impressed with the form of the squad as they prepare for the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Olympic qualifying series.

The Trinidad and Tobago team will meet Guyana, Netherlands Antilles and hosts Suriname from August 31 to September 4 for a spot in the CONCACAF qualifying phase.

McComie is currently acting as the coach in the absence of Dutch-born Jan Van Deinsen who is recovering from back surgery in his native Netherlands.

The TT squad were involved in a training camp in the sister isle Tobago last week.

“Generally, the camp was good. We got a lot more out of the camp in Tobago with the Under-23 players than we thought we would have,” said the 35-year-old McComie. “Much credit must go to the players because the effort of the players was magnificent.”

Noting that he regularly interacts with Van Deinsen concerning the team, McComie noted, “the technical staff was absolutely surprised in terms of how the players adapted themselves.

“It’s young players and they’re eager to learn and they’re very disciplined, so that made it easier for us,” McComie added. “But, having said that, the work in terms of the pattern of play and the formation that we want to is different (from their) clubs.”

McComie, who is also serving as interim coach of 2006 Pro League champions Joe Public, stressed that it is hard to mould the team with only one-day-per-week training sessions.

“At the camp, we were able to do two sessions a day,” he said. “Even the days that we played a match, especially the Tuesday match (a 4-1 victory over Tobago United), we overloaded them in the morning, purposely to see their reaction in the evening and the players responded well.”

The former goalkeeper, who played for Trinidad and Tobago from the youth ranks to the senior team, was high in praise for the physiotherapists Wayne Lawson and Ashton Mills.

“I think the players came back much stronger and much more knowledgeable in terms of the way in which we want the Under- 23 team to play,” he said. “The speed of the game was good and the ball possession was much more improved than how we played previously.

“So we’re just hoping that we can take that and build on that with the players,” McComie added. “We’ve had team meetings and the players understand that it’s a short space of time and we need to make every training session count.” With regards to the improvements within the team, McComie highlighted possession of the ball, moving the ball and trying to keep the shape.

“When we played, the possession was okay but eventually they would lose the shape, especially coming down to the end of the first half and midway through the second half,” he continued.

“Training once a week really does not help that. In that aspect, it was fantastic, we worked on stuff in the mornings and then, in the games in the evenings, we’ll see them trying to execute,” added the easy-going coach.

“In terms of possession of the ball, it was fantastic. And then we had the time now to set up because when we lose the ball, we actually have a plan to win the ball back.

“The players took to that very well, they understood and they applied themselves,” said McComie.

The players are currently engaging in training sessions twice a week, before they embark on another camp next month. “When we take games now, we’ll try to play tougher opponents to make sure that they understand and how to execute against faster opponents and stronger opponents,” ended McComie.

Warrior For Life !!

1]; } ?>