April 18, 2024, 10:30:18 PM

Author Topic: has Roy Keane lost his mind bidding £9 million for a goalkeeper??  (Read 4198 times)

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
if it was Petr Cech or Edwin Van de Sar or someone of that ilk than far enough, but this fella hasn't proven himself at the highest level yet and £9million is crazy money imo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=469177&in_page_id=1779

Record-breaking £9m offer from Keane
By BRIAN MARJORIBANKS - More by this author »

Last updated at 09:19am on 18th July 2007

Craig Gordon is poised to become the most expensive player in Scottish football history - after Hearts accepted an incredible £9million bid from Sunderland for their goalkeeper.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane returned with a final take-it-or-leave it package after having an offer of £8.5m for the 24-year-old Scotland international rejected last week.

Tynecastle interim boss Stevie Frail had previously admitted Hearts were resigned to losing their captain and last night they accepted the improved bid.

Should Premiership newcomers Sunderland be successful in luring 23-times capped Gordon to the Stadium of Light, it would smash the record fee paid by a British club for a keeper, topping the £7.8m forked out by Manchester United to land French World Cup star Fabien Barthez in 2000 and the £7m Chelsea shelled out to sign Petr Cech three years ago.

Keane is convinced the 6ft 4in keeper has the talent and imposing physical presence to make a major impact in the English Premiership.

But his improved offer of £9m - believed to include add-ons on top of a basic downpayment of £5m - is still a stunning amount, given the top price for a British keeper was the £6m Arsene Wenger paid for Richard Wright from Ipswich Town back in 2001.

The fee involved also means Gordon will eclipse Rangers and Scotland captain Barry Ferguson as the most expensive Scottish player of all time.

Ferguson cost Blackburn Rovers £7.5m when Graeme Souness lured the player south from Ibrox in 2003.

Keane knows the player from his own short spell in the SPL with Celtic and he has already been willing to trust in talent proved up north, having signed Ross Wallace and Russell Anderson from Celtic and Aberdeen respectively.

The Sunderland boss landed his fifth player of the summer yesterday with the £1.5m capture of Norwich midfielder Dickson Etuhu, taking his spending past the £15m mark.

Should he land Gordon and finally find joy in his long-running pursuit of Wigan full- back Leighton Baines, then Sunderland will have spent an unprecedented £30m since gaining promotion.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:34:30 AM by JayTheWrecker »
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: has Roy Keane lost his mind bidding £9 million for a goalkeeper??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:53:38 AM »
I think Keane knows what he's doing....I think he believes  he can get the best out of these men ...its a helluva a thing when men respect a man so much that they will play out of their skin for him...yuh cyah buy that kinda respect or that kinda leadership....watch sunderland take the premiership by storm.......yo think is any coincidence carlos and kieran richardson sit out the friendly match?..He knows his wingers and where he is gonna mount his attacks.....I'm excited

Offline pompey_researcher

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:42:42 AM »
Craig Gordon is a hell of keeper and a hell of a prospect as well.

£9m if he fulfils his potential could be a steal

Offline Consultant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:49:03 AM »
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Pomp-Res here. Having seen CG play before - he's a very adept and talented goal keeper. He's been around for ages and the big two in Scotland (Celtic and Rangers) have tried their hardest to have him sign on the dotted line.

Looks like he waited for the right move. I think that CG will do well, whether or not he's worth the 9M price tag is somewhat debatable. Sunderland are looking a good side now - I can't wait to see them later in the year, I think Keano will ensure they stay afloat of the relegation 3....

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:04:42 AM »
I'm amazed that JayTheWrecker is living right there in the British Isles and can say that Craig Gordon is unproven......WOW! Jay, yuh doh watch scottish football or wha? Haven't you seen some of the performances this young fella has put on for Hearts and for Scotland.  This young boy has more than proven himself boss.  Trust that.  If a scottish second division side could get him for that money it would be a bargain. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 05:07:43 AM »
as a matter of interest, check these videos
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:05:10 AM »
The Sunderland Echo is reporting that news of the £9m bid is false:

Sunderland will not increase their offer for Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

The Black Cats have already tabled a £5million-plus offer, but reports that there has been an increased bid rising to £9million have been dismissed by boss Roy Keane.

Though the Wearsiders retain an interest in Gordon, they have decided to cool the pursuit and leave Hearts to decide whether or not to accept what Sunderland are willing to pay.

Would be fantastic if they could get him  :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:21:36 AM »
Good young keeper, who can make the stpe up, if you ask me.  But teams don't even pay that for established international keepers, so I'm wondering what keene sees in the lad, or whether he is just downright desperate to land a keeper.  I really think it's the latter.  They should probably do some more scouting, but season's near, so Hearts are playing a good game by holding out for their asking price.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 10:39:23 AM »
Good young keeper, who can make the stpe up, if you ask me.  But teams don't even pay that for established international keepers, so I'm wondering what keene sees in the lad, or whether he is just downright desperate to land a keeper.  I really think it's the latter.  They should probably do some more scouting, but season's near, so Hearts are playing a good game by holding out for their asking price.

Tenor, if you see this young boy play, you wouldn't wonder what Keane sees in him.  The boy is the real deal, and a solid goalkeeper. Juventus paid a record-breaking  32,000,000 pounds to Parma for Buffon.......is 9,000,000 not too much for Gordon.  The question i have is: why is it that 'keepers are generally not paid like like everybody else?  They are just as important as every other player in the team, and what does it really take to to be "an established international 'keeper" when you have unquestionable talent?  Buffon, Casillas, Carlos Kameni and Igor Akinfeev have all represented their respictive countries' senior teams as teenagers. Their talent is what mattered.  Roy Keane is willing to pay for Gordon's talent. 

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
Yuh feel Keane is a dunce ??? The man know exactly what he doing...I expect Keane to bring de best out of him...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »
I guess they should put the water boy in the goal. Why can't a goalkeeper earn 15 million? They perform as well as any other player and a lot of time more than.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »
remember peter schmeichel,  sir alex buy he for nothin and he turn out d be one of d best in d world, some managers have a eye for talent.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 06:09:26 PM »
Jay want him to pay 50 000 for Ince
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 06:30:20 PM »
i think Man Utd was looking at Gordon also....come on Jay....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
Real good investment in Gordon...$5 million for a 24 yr old keeper with lots of potential could look like a bargain in a few years

besides Sunderland have a setta money for getting promoted

have money, will buy

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline DAFJ14

• Tactical Maestro
  • New Warrior
  • Step to it right
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »
I know Arsenal tracked this guy for 2 years or something and pulled out because of the asking price. The kid's good, no doubt but fact is he doesn't have the experience to justify a 9milprice tag. No champ league, never won SPL, that price is based on form and potential which isn't worth it when you can get a  Scott Carson for less.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
I know Arsenal tracked this guy for 2 years or something and pulled out because of the asking price. The kid's good, no doubt but fact is he doesn't have the experience to justify a 9milprice tag. No champ league, never won SPL, that price is based on form and potential which isn't worth it when you can get a  Scott Carson for less.

The price of a player IS supposed to be based on form and potential, which this goalkeeper has and thus, why Roy Keane is willing to pay that kind of money for him.......and it's still not too much (the man is the NUMBER ONE  'keeper for Scotland, for christ sakes, what more does he need for credibility?) Had Buffon won anything with Parma before Juventus paid 32,000,000 Pounds for him?  Please remember that football is ultimately a "team" sport, and whether or not any one individual may have won any particular title with one team or another has a whole lot more to do with a whole lot of factors beyond that player. It does not determine a player's worth on the free market.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 03:40:31 PM »
Gordon agrees £9m Sunderland move

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon has been training with Sunderland this week
Scotland goalkeeper Craig Gordon has agreed terms with Sunderland and a £9m transfer from Hearts will be completed on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

The 24-year-old had been expected to hold talks with Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill before making his choice.

But Gordon has agreed a five-year contract to join Roy Keane's side after undergoing a medical at the club.

It is understood that Sunderland will pay an initial £7m, plus £2m in future payments dependent on appearances.

Gordon had spent two days training with Sunderland after a fee was agreed with Hearts.

The Edinburgh club's captain was expected at Villa Park, but Keane appears to have persuaded him that his future lies at the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland had a £5m offer rejected in July, but chairman Niall Quinn had stressed on Tuesday that they were determined to get their man.

It just shows how good the youth policy is when one person moves for £9m

Hearts assistant manager Stephen Frail

"This is Roy Keane's department really, but we are trying hard," he said.

"If it takes a bit longer, so be it. We are not going to lose our nerve now. There are lots of bits and pieces going on behind the scenes.

"My message to our fans is that we haven't jumped in when an agent has rung us with a fashionable player.

"A lot of things have to fall right for someone to come to play at Sunderland."

Sunderland have also made a bid for Tottenham striker Mido after previously failing to sign the likes of Leighton Baines from Wigan and Preston striker David Nugent.

English interest in Gordon had been rekindled after Hearts majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov last week indicated he would be willing to sell if the goalkeeper said he wanted to leave.

And Villa boss O'Neill had hinted that he had rekindled his interest after Hearts had reduced their "exorbitant" demands.

O'Neill is keen to sign a goalkeeper with Thomas Sorensen, who has one year left on his deal, set to miss the start of the season with a hamstring injury.

BBC Sport understands that Manchester City boss Sven Goran-Eriksson was also considering entering the bidding - but it now appears that Sunderland have secured Gordon's services.

Steve Banks was in goal for Hearts in Monday's Edinburgh derby defeat by Hibernian as Gordon headed south.

And assistant manager Stephen Frail was sure that the Scotland goalkeeper had played his last game for the Tynecastle club.

"My feeling is that he has," he told BBC Sport. "If a bid has been accepted, it's just about personal terms.

"It's very sad and comes on the back of us losing our goalkeeping coach, Jim Stewart, so it's a difficult time.

"But it just shows how good the youth policy is when one person moves for £9m."

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
So up until now Hearts had Gordon, Banks in goal.

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »
A Good GoalKeeper is better than a striker that scores 25 goals in a season.  At the end of the day, a keeper with clean sheets means Sunderland staying up in the league.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:10 PM »
that is probably the best buy Sunderland made this pre season
but then again maybe they coulda try and loan a keeper instead  :-\
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
keane shoulda use some of that $$ on gettin a better striker or defender

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Keane hails 'hard deal' for Gordon
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »
Keane hails 'hard deal' for Gordon
By: RTE Sport

Wednesday, 8 August 2007 16:52

Roy Keane has hailed the arrival of Craig Gordon at Sunderland - although he concedes the goalkeeper is touch and go to make his debut on Saturday.

Gordon's arrival from Hearts is set to be officially confirmed later today, with just finishing touches to the paperwork holding up the deal.

International clearance for the transfer must be received before it is finalised and confirmed by either club, with the Scottish Football Association due to convey that to their counterparts at the FA in London.

The Scotland international, who has already passed a medical and agreed terms on a five-year contract, is poised to become the most expensive goalkeeper in British football history.

The current record stands at the £7.8million Manchester United paid to Monaco in 2000 for Fabien Barthez.

Sunderland are due to pay Hearts an initial £7million, with add-ons taking the fee up to £9million if the conditions are met.

Keane, though, is just delighted to finally land his man after beating off competition from other clubs, with the 24-year-old becoming the seventh new face to join the Black Cats this summer.

The Sunderland manager said: 'I rate him very highly. I think he's a top goalkeeper.

'I believe he has a lot to go. I think he can only get better, and this is the right club for him because we've good goalkeeping staff here.

'So we're delighted, and hopefully it will be finalised later today.

'It's been a hard deal. (Chief executive) Peter Walker has worked extremely hard, and now we're almost over the finishing line.'

Aston Villa had been expected to hold talks with Gordon today, but the soon-to-be former Hearts captain was convinced Sunderland were the right club for him following talks with Keane.

Gordon becomes the club's number one, and is in line to face Tottenham in the Barclays Premier League curtain-raiser at the Stadium of Light on Saturday providing he overcomes a shoulder injury.

Keane added: 'We've two other good goalkeepers, which adds competition, and you can't beat competition for places.

'The number one jersey was available, and obviously Craig is going to wear that.

'But we'll see how it goes over the next few days because I think he has had a slight shoulder problem, so it's touch and go.'

Defender Greg Halford and midfielder Carlos Edwards are also struggling to be fit.

Halford, a £2.5million buy from Reading in June, is more doubtful as he sustained a slight hamstring strain in training yesterday, while Trinidad and Tobago international Edwards has a hip injury.

Keane said: 'We hope Carlos will be all right. He joined in training yesterday and we'll gauge it over the next one or two days.

'Greg has a slight hamstring strain, so it will be touch and go for him.

'But overall the injury problems are not too bad. I look at the situation at other clubs and I think we've been very lucky.'

1]; } ?>