April 25, 2024, 08:05:03 AM

Author Topic: ‘Strike Squad’ support for ‘Warriors’ before USA clash.  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
‘Strike Squad’ support for ‘Warriors’ before USA clash.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Upon their departure for Connecticut on Friday for next Wednesday’s 2006 CONCACAF World Cup qualifier against the United States, this country’s Senior footballers will be off with some encouraging words from a couple players who were instrumental in setting up a point when the two countries clashed in a World Cup Qualifier in 1989.
Hutson Charles, the 88th minute goalscorer and captain Clayton Morris both played the 90 minutes in a performance in May, 1989 which propelled the “Strike Squad” into a formidable position for the remainder of the 1990 “Road to Italy” campaign.
At present, Dwight Yorke, who entered the ’89 match in the 69th minute,  is the only member of the “Strike Squad” era still on the team and he arrives in Connecticut on Sunday to join the rest of the team. On the technical staff is goalkeeper Michael Maurice.
Charles, an assistant coach with the current T&T Under 15 team, said that Yorke and current company must be prepared to work hard and stick to their game plan against Bruce Arena’s men.
“The guys now have to remember that it’s eleven versus eleven out there on Wednesday. They have got to stick  to their game plan. Since the first game against the USA (in February) I have seen improvement particularly since the new coach arrived on the scene. It’s always difficult playing USA in their own country, but aside from the Gold Cup, what I have seen of this team in recent times, I think we can get a result out there. Once we play to a plan and remain prepared to work extremely hard.”
“Barber” as he is affectionately referred to up to today, recalled his goal and the build up to the USA match in ’89.
“We were nervous going into the game because we had no kind of success against the Americans. As a team, we used to come together aside from with the coaches and talk about what we wanted to achieve. I could remember the psychologist at the time, Miss Shirley Rudd-Ottley doing some sessions with us and it involved calling the shirt numbers. When they called the number 8 which was my number, everyone shouted out ‘Rahhh’ and that turned out to be a pre match hype for us. And later she told me that I would have a big part to play in this game.  Even though we were nervous,  once the game started we were able to get into it. We had a setback when they scored early but we always had that never say attitude and that was proven with my goal with two minutes to go. I think the joy we felt with that goal and getting the point really set the pace for the rest of the campaign.
“It was a moment I in particular will never forget. I can remember Captain Morris  playing the ball wide for Brian (Williams) at the right back position. He looked up and saw me and then something which we always did in training followed. He played the ball to me on the right and I dummied it and just spun around knowing that Marlon (Morris) was behind. The brave chap that he is, he dived and headed it onto my path and it was a one on one with the ‘keeper and that was it. The goal came and we got the point,” Charles reminisced.
Morris is optimistic of T&T’s chances on Wednesday.
“We went to America and came back with a point which really give us that boost for the rest of the campaign. I think we can at least salvage a point. Which will bring a lot of confidence both for the nation and players.
“I always look try to go back to basics when you got a positive result. Once they can reflect on that enthusiasm they had in the build up to the Panama game it will auger well for that game. America is competing with the top ten in the world, so we just can’t say that we can go out there and work hard and expect a good result. The game will not be an easy one but football is about opportunities and taking them when they come. I loved the way the team operated against Panama and Mexico and once we work hard and play smart then our chances are good in this one,” Morris said.
As the team heads out at 2pm on Friday, there was better news for Carlos Edwards who came through a 90-minute run for Luton Town’s Reserves on Wednesday against Dunstable Town. Heading out of Trinidad on Friday along with Leo Beenhakker and his technical staff  will be players Densill Theobald, Aurtis Whitley, Cyd Gray and Atiba Charles. They will be joined by Scott Sealy, Brent Sancho and Avery John on Saturday with the rest coming in on Sunday plus Marvin Andrews on Monday.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 03:39:27 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Strike Squad’ support for ‘Warriors’ before USA clash.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 04:06:36 PM »
what; somebody reading the postings: ah see they have  the men and them connecting with former Strike Squad members and back  then they had a sports psychologist with the Team!!!!

Jack why yuh change up all that from the Strike Squad days?

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Strike Squad’ support for ‘Warriors’ before USA clash.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 04:50:59 PM »
what; somebody reading the postings: ah see they have  the men and them connecting with former Strike Squad members and back  then they had a sports psychologist with the Team!!!!

Jack why yuh change up all that from the Strike Squad days?

Yuh know i  was thinkin the same damn thing

1]; } ?>