April 23, 2024, 05:12:49 AM

Author Topic: T&T U-17s get first win on Korean soil.  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T U-17s get first win on Korean soil.
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:23 PM »
T&T U-17s get first win on Korean soil.
By: Shaun Fuentes. (TTFF).
[/size]

Some clinical finishing and sturdy work in the defense and midfield saw Trinidad and Tobago to its first win on Korean soil as the National Under 17 footballers scored a 4-1 victory over Cheonan semi-professional outfit Kyung Shin Junsun on a sunny Wednesday afternoon.
With the temperature rising to around 33 degrees celcius after the rain the previous day, Anton Corneal’s team also lifted its game with goals by US-born striker Aaron Maund (40th minute), Leston Paul (45th minute) substitutes Marcus Joseph (77th minute) and Ryan O’Neil (79th minute) sealed up the win for the visitors at the IT training pitch.
The game had been arranged the previous day and Corneal was eager to see his charges run out in World Cup territory following their two earlier games in Arnhem Holland. And Paul and his teammates didn’t disappoint, holding up the ball for long periods, keeping it steady at the back and forcing their opponents on the backfoot with some quick charges at different points of the game.
“I thought we had a good chance to play the game on a nice surface against a senior team with a few decent players. We got some goals and we still missed a couple more chances. We used this an opportunity to keep our fitness. It really was our last dress rehearsal before Monday’s game and it wasn’t a bad outing,” Corneal told TTFF Media after the win.
“We did some extra work at the end of the game because it’s one of our final days when we could really pushed them physically. We will work on set plays, defensive corners and free kicks on the offensive as well over the next few days,” Corneal added. “Maybe we could sleep a little bit better tonight but you can never tell because Monday’s a big day for all of us.”
Kevin Molino had T&T’s first crack at goal in the 7th minute when he powerfully hit over bar from just outside the penalty box after receiving a return ball from busy right winger Micah Lewis. Soon after Paul also missed the target but the Koreans settled down and created chances of their own. Midfielder Kang Yong-Ki tested Glenroy Samuel from 25 yards out in the 10th minute and striker Yoon Yeo-kuk, easily their most dangerous player on the pitch, saw his right footed free kick from 20 yards out cannon off the upright in the 20th minute.
Molino was guilty of giving up possession with bad service near the half line and the Koreans broke quickly. Fortunately for T&T, Yoon Suk-Ki had his effort cleaned up by an alert Samuel.
T&T then got its opening item five minutes before the break when Joseph played one inside from the right and a lurking Maunde got up well to volley past goalie Kang Dong-il at shoulder height on his near post.
Soon after a quick play out by goalkeeper Samuel saw T&T gunning up the right flank with Joseph moving in before squaring for Paul who clinically side footed home for a 2-0 T&T lead. Stephen Knox almost got a third moments later but he tried the chip the advancing goalie rather than try to go around him.
Corneal introduced Sean De Silva, Sheldon Bateau and Ryan O’Neil at the start of the second half as T&T eventually ended the game with only three of its starting players on the field – Knox, Lewis and Paul.
On 50 minutes, Paul got up well to head Lewis’ right side ball but the goalie held on. Seo Jung-Soo pulled a goal back for the Cheonan club when he hit past Samuel’s right after T&T were caught napping at the back allowing the player to make inroads on the left of the box.
De Silva then hit straight at the ‘keeper and on 63 minutes T&T bombarded the Junsun goal. First Knox’s close range shot was topped by the goalie and then Paul’s follow up crashed against the upright after De Silva switched the play to Jean Luc Rochford for his right side serve.
Soon after substitute Joseph’s shot was stopped and De Silva’s follow up lacked precision. Minutes later De Silva turned provider, playing Joseph through and he wasted no time before hitting low and hard past Dong-il. O’Neil then completed the four with a neat strike, slotting home from just inside the box after being picked out by an overlapping Paul. De Silva almost added a fifth near the end but his drive struck the cross bar and his follow up attempt then came back off the upright.
The result left coach Corneal somewhat pleased but still cautious as TT look ahead to Monday’s game against Ghana in the FIFA Under 17 World Championship. The Colombians arrived in Cheonan at 1am on Wednesday and had one session later on in the day while Ghana didn’t only have two sessions on the day but also had their part of the hotel on the ground level at high noise level with drumming and loud chanting close to dinner time.
The parents of the 21 players are carded to arrive in Seoul on Thursday and the team will have two further sessions and will also review a DVD of Thursday’s game. The advice of Corneal and Wim Rijsbergen has been to play smart and up to this point, Paul and his charges have made a very strong attempt at doing so going into Monday’s opener.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-17s get first win on Korean soil.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:55:45 PM »
Nice work so far...
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »
 Good start guys keep the momentum going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
We need a game against an African opposition. We fooling we self with a semi-professional team.

Good luck T&T !!!!!!!!!!!

Ghana will we "running" very hard...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:03:21 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »
Underdogs

While the podiums at the last two tournaments have had familiar looks to them (Brazil, Spain and Argentina at Finland 2003; Mexico, Brazil and Netherlands at Peru 2005), the FIFA U-17 World Cup has traditionally provided a setting for minnows to defy their modest footballing statuses. This has certainly been applicable to African teams, from a penalty shootout denying Guinea a place in the deciding match at the inaugural finals to Burkina Faso stepping out of the shadows of their esteemed neighbours to finish third in 2001.

Their Asian counterparts have also upset the odds over the years. Oman beat Germany 3-0 and Nigeria 2-1 in transit to the last four in 1995; Qatar made it to the semi-finals at Italy 1991, before successive penalty shootout losses to Ghana and Argentina left them outside the medals, and tiny Bahrain topped their group and then eliminated Brazil en route to a fourth-place finish at Scotland 1989, which was won by rank outsiders Saudi Arabia.

For their part, Australia came agonisingly close to provoking an even greater surprise in neighbouring New Zealand in 1999. After winning a pool which featured Brazil and Germany, the Joeys lost 8-7 on penalties to the Seleção.

Regardless, their contribution to a series of unexpected runs to the last four of the FIFA U-17 World Cup will have raised hopes among Korea 2007's outsiders that anything is possible.

FIFA.COM
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
???
We need a game against an African opposition. We fooling we self with a semi-professional team.

what part of korea you gonna get african opposition  ???

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:10:13 PM »
what part of korea you gonna get african opposition ???

Dummy - So no African teams made it to Korea then ?? Boy, I does wonder about some of the posters here sometimes.....

Our senior team did it in Germany....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:11:17 PM by Flex »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »
what part of korea you gonna get african opposition ???

Dummy - So no African teams made it to Korea then ?? Boy, I does wonder about some of the posters here sometimes.....

Our senior team did it in Germany....

I think is question was concerning this moment in the game. it is too late to organise that type of game.

Think about it ::)
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 01:15:50 PM »
Question.....even though is a semi-pro team....is a Under 17....or a actual semi-pro team with players over  17?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »
ok - i know san fernando might seem big to you but in reality it real small comepared to korea. so let me refraise...are there are more than one african team in cheonan??? secondly, corneal working more on tactics and confidence..trying to get his team technically ready....thirdly it was a pickup game organised the day before...so who talking up in dey arse....and concerning posters here you looking to be critical are you are NO coach...steuups....the nerve of some men yes, play a little small goal and feel they is beenhakker
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:22:27 PM by duscam »

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
ok - i know san fernando might seem big to you but in reality it real small comepared to korea. so let me refraise...are there are more than one african team in cheonan??? secondly, corneal working more on tactics and confidence..trying to get his team technically ready....thirdly it was a pickup game organised the day before...so who is the dummy now? dummy.

Dumm dumm gimme gum gum.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »
detention  4 d two ah allyuh  :rotfl:
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
is only 2 victories so far,doh lewwe get carried away,de real dance startin soon.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 03:31:50 PM »
ok - i know san fernando might seem big to you but in reality it real small comepared to korea. so let me refraise...are there are more than one african team in cheonan??? secondly, corneal working more on tactics and confidence..trying to get his team technically ready....thirdly it was a pickup game organised the day before...so who is the dummy now? dummy.

Dumm dumm gimme gum gum.

How yuh liking VA? Yuh settle in?

33 degrees hot...they should be used to it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:34:11 PM by dcs »

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
Great morale booster, but don't let the boys get over confident, there is big difference between club and country.

We are in Korea to do a job, Stay focus and don't get taken up in all the hype.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 05:18:39 PM »
Raise yuh head Trini, nobody could look down on you. Let them make that mistake, is goal in deh hole.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »
The ship done sail with an African team. The TTFF should have had the guys go to Canada and play some African team dat was dey 4 the under 20 that would a b nice competition
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:35 PM »

What assness you talking...did you pay attention to what you say there?  You have a team of 17-year old amateur yutes playing a semi-PROFESSIONAL team and you saying they wasting their time?

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 08:15:53 AM »

Dumm dumm gimme gum gum.

How yuh liking VA? Yuh settle in?

33 degrees hot...they should be used to it.

Man it nice here. Bought me a nice home in Fredericksburg. Settled in the job and waiting for my house stuff to come in from Germany. Had to get the cable hooked up to watch American football and soccer when Trini's playing.

Thanks for asking.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 08:18:18 AM »

What assness you talking...did you pay attention to what you say there?  You have a team of 17-year old amateur yutes playing a semi-PROFESSIONAL team and you saying they wasting their time?

Please explain it to him he might be very slow  ::)
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 08:33:47 AM »

Please explain it to him he might be very slow  ::)
and today has started in fine form with lash passing like ah full PTSC bus
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:49:50 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »
COACH....wha system Anton use dey boy ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 01:41:21 PM »
COACH....wha system Anton use dey boy ???

Allyuh well fork up yuh know... :rotfl:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>