April 26, 2024, 06:23:49 AM

Author Topic: The search is on for new T&T football stars.  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The search is on for new T&T football stars.
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:01:04 PM »
The search is on for new T&T football stars.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

“To find a new Latas”

That could well be one of the hopes in the back of the minds of the senior heads around or involved in Trinidad and Tobago football these days as the countyr’s national under 17 footballers prepare to take on the world from Monday.
As the days leading up to the kick off continue, there has been much talk in the media here in Korea about the current stars in world football who have passed through the Under 17 ranks.
From Ronaldo to Adriano, Diego and Carlos Teves from 2001 in Trinidad, Luis Figo and USA’s Landon Donovon, they have all played in past FIFA Under 17 tournaments and the world now is waiting to see who will evolve from the Korea finals.. For the first time in 22 years, this tournament will have 24 nations competing, putting it on par with the Under 20 World Cup which is FIFA second biggest world event.
While T&T’s own Dwight Yorke played at the Under 20 Finals in Portugal in 1991, the name Kenwyne Jones can also be in the same category with him having played at the 2001 Under 17 finals in TT. But in a casual conversation on the team bus yesterday, the topic was about the search for another someone like another Yorke or Russell Latapy to come into the national ranks again and the timing is right with T&T’s participation on the world stage from next week.
Former national goalie Ross Russell reminisced about his days on the national team with Yorke and Latapy and he particularly referred to Latapy’s presence,a commanding one which earned the love, admiration and more importantly the respect of the people, particularly his teammates. At the moment, Sunderland’s Carlos Edwards is the new and possibly only marquee player in the making with Jones not far behind but they are both around the mid 20 age range. With each of the players around now at the Under 17 level, if two or three were to make it to higher heights from this, they will be around 22 or 23 years of age by the time the 2014 World Cup comes around.
Like “Latas” said in a recent interview… “Sometimes you don’t miss stuff until you are  away from it and you go back into it. So there was a lot of stuff that I really enjoyed at the World Cup because I knew to myself it was going to be the last time that I was going to experience this as a player. So yes I miss being with my friends. I missed the atmosphere of being in the dressing room for games, for training. I also missed the hype of a build up to big games and I miss seeing Trinidad buzzing before a football game especially when we go on to get a good result.”
And those things said are the same that the masses back home will miss with Latapy’s exit from the T&T team. And someone able to have that sort of presence is sorely needed as the country looks ahead to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups. At the moment, under 17 skipper Leston Paul is leading the race to becoming such a player. The team possesses a captain who has demonstrated strong maturity for his age and he has been able to control the emotions of the boys thus far, his style of communication both on and off the pitch has been impressive and his conversations with Corneal and Wim Rijsbergen suggests that he is definitely a trooper in the making for T&T football.
Then there’s forward Marcus Joseph and forward turn central defender Daniel Cyrus who have both come on strongly in the last few weeks as well as talented midfielder/striker Kevin Molino and striker Stephen Knox also making impressions. And already midfielder Sean De Silva has been offered a scholarship to attend Charleston College before a ball has even been kicked in Korea and agents in Holland have also been enquiring about some others in the T&T squad. And the experience Paul others will gain from this tourney could only serve as an extra boost.

Shaun Fuentes in Cheonan, August 17, 2007. See captions at end of photos.

Striker Marcus Joseph
Skipper Leston Paul
Winger Aaron Maund
Ross Russell does an exercise with goalie Glenroy Samuel
Sheldon Bateau watches Jean Luc Rochford
Corneal speaks to his players
The Warm up
Tactical training
The match balls
Rijsbergen urges on Stefan Campbell and Akeem Adams
Corneal watches the play
Robert Primus and Sean De Silva in the heat
Striker Daniel Joseph gets ready
Aubrey David closes in on Primus
Rijsbergen shouts at Kevin Molino and Micah Lewis
Jack Warner addresses the team at its hotel on Friday
Warner meets captain Paul
Warner meets De Silva and listens to Corneal
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:06:02 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: The search is on for new T&T football stars.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »
Pictures look good up until the last five.

Like them boys get blight there.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »
Leh we hope they treat them a lil better than the present stars
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:30:43 PM »
Let me translate the Look on dem yung boy face.
The look on their face means "Ok Mr Jackula, doh Kcuf all ah we like you did to the rest of the TnT Heroes of the past, ok man"
I just hope none of these fellas get shafted like others have been, eh
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »
Ah see Wim like he ress dung some serious coaching...

It is really good that we have the oppurtunity to use the Sr coach for the U17's...
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 07:18:53 PM »
In all seriousness, from the pictures I've seen that place not looking too different from Trinidad.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 07:27:11 PM »
Times like this is when Fuentes really earns his keep  :beermug:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:52:41 PM »
Let me translate the Look on dem yung boy face.
The look on their face means "Ok Mr Jackula, doh Kcuf all ah we like you did to the rest of the TnT Heroes of the past, ok man"
I just hope none of these fellas get shafted like others have been, eh

WC I hear yuh with dat

I realize this is about the U-17's and now is the time for their chance in the spotlight but I doh like the vibe in certain parts of this article.

It pushing the mindset into public consciousness that this batch of youths will be the new stars for T&T on the international level...replacing Yorke and Latas.

Cue the skipping of a whole generation: Samuel, Jones, Scotland, Birchall. These men should be the "new T&T football stars", on the senior level at least. But that is prob the TTFF plan all along ent. These U-17's are young and have a long ways to go still.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 10:03:51 PM »
Thanks Shawn  ;D ,now we know who is who  :beermug:
Leston Paul look like young TMac .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:08:04 PM by Quagmire »

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 05:16:05 AM »
My cousin's brother Marcus Joseph is in the squad. His father is Leric ''lobo'' Joseph.
Look out for Marcus Joseph, he is a big player.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 07:14:19 AM »
"There is only one Russell Latapy"

Good luck to the u-17's....tnt tnt tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
My cousin's brother Marcus Joseph is in the squad. His father is Leric ''lobo'' Joseph.
Look out for Marcus Joseph, he is a big player.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

i heard a lot of good stuff about marcus, another player to look out for akeem adams, might be the solution to our left back problems in the future.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 12:48:16 PM »
Tell dem BM nevah to b see again
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>