April 25, 2024, 09:14:08 AM

Author Topic: FC Dallas, Hislop reach agreement.  (Read 7769 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FC Dallas, Hislop reach agreement.
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:08:28 AM »
FC Dallas, Hislop reach agreement.
By: Gabriel Cabarrouy (Dallas News).

An agreement between FC Dallas and Shaka Hislop will allow the backup goaltender to retire early. Hislop has been out the last month with back spasms. He last dressed for FC Dallas' SuperLiga opener against Chivas of Guadalajara on July 24, but he did not play.
"He is not going to be able to contribute the way we need him for the rest of the season," FC Dallas coach Steve Morrow said. "He is close to recovering, but in talking with him, our trainers and a couple of doctors, we think it could be an ongoing problem."
Hislop, who played for Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 World Cup, said he wouldn't comment on the agreement until it's finalized. The league is expected to approve the deal soon.
The terms of the settlement were not revealed. The move will open a roster spot and clear salary cap space for FC Dallas.
Hislop, 38, was scheduled to earn $220,800 in base salary this year. He was the team's second-highest paid player behind striker Carlos Ruiz, who earns $325,000 a year.
 Dallas goalkeeper Ray Burse Jr., a developmental player, could be moved into Hislop's spot on the senior roster. Burse, 22, was the starting goalie in the last three regular-season matches. He has a 2-1-0 record and has allowed three goals.
"He deserves that chance," Morrow said. "I like to reward players who are working hard and doing great things for the team."
Morrow must also decide whether to sign a third goalkeeper or keep Boris Pardo from the league's pool for the remainder of the season.
Hislop signed a guaranteed contract with FC Dallas in July 2006. He allowed 19 goals in 10 matches with the team. Before coming to Dallas, Hislop played 14 years in England's Premier League.
"He has been a great goalkeeper, playing in England for many years, and had a great career," Morrow said. "He probably didn't finish here the way he wanted to."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:12:59 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FC Dallas, Hislop reach agreement.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »
Now he have time to organise a take-over of the TTFF.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:28:58 AM »
Good call, Shaka should join Jabloteh now.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »
You serious?? Yuh eh see de man back eh good?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »
I not putting too much stock into this statement.

From the time I see the headline I knew it wasn't a good thing, from the standpoint of him playing again.  Shaka wasn't playing and it's clear that Ray Burse is a kid with a tremendous upside.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay with Dallas and begin his coaching career since I  think that's where his mind is right now.  It would be a great situation for Dallas, to get a world-class and World Cup goalie to mentor their young goalie...and a decent situation for Shaka as well, he won't have to uproot his family anytime soon.

We'll see.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
Just in time for Labor day and Miami carnival boss. Ah sure he done buy he ticket already. Dat bench in Dallas wasn't cutting it at all
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 02:13:30 AM »
Time to run FPATT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Reaction from FC Dallas fans
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:11:03 AM »
1. Comment by FCDALLAS96 on August 22, 2007 6:26 am
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2. Comment by marco4 on August 22, 2007 6:28 am
Good luck to Shaka in his future endeavors, certainly, but this is a good day for FCD for no other reason than finally losing that cap hit.

Buzz… Is there any sort of financial payout involved when a player retires, or has he collected his last paycheck?

3. Comment by Rhys on August 22, 2007 6:34 am
The worst personnel decision this organization has made is finally gone. And how much did this cost us? How much did FCD have to shell out to get him just to go away? Maybe now we’ll find out just exactly who was behind the most ridiculous signing and contract in the history of Major League Soccer.

4. Comment by hank on August 22, 2007 6:47 am
Congratulations on great, great career Shaka. People made a big deal about his salary which is pretty laughable since it’s proably 1/10 of his rate throughout his career in much higher leagues. He came in and did his best, he is a true professional.

If blame is to be assigned on this one please forward all comments to CC in PR and Hitch at PHP for okaying the deal.

I assume a deal was struck but I wouldn’t think it saved any money on the cap since there is no beenfit to Hislop to walk away for nothing. He only had to keep rehabing for 2-3 more months and collect a 100% of his contract. MLS ‘rules’ are very strange so who really knows.

5. Comment by Buzz Carrick on August 22, 2007 6:49 am
marco, usually when they retire that’s about it in terms of money. But sometimes there can be a clause or something in the contract. I would not be shocked in this case if there was not some kind of agreement in terms of money or some benefit post retirement. It may be very hard to find out.

Rhys, again hard to find out if they had to pay him to get him to retire. Since he was guaranteed contract I imagine they did.

As for who signed him… Clarke was the coach and Hitch/HSG approved the deal. *shrugs* now sure what else there is to say about it.

6. Comment by hank on August 22, 2007 6:49 am
Hopefully, the cap goes way up as rumored so we don’t have to talk about such small amounts of money (250K) as being such a big deal.

7. Comment by yt61 on August 22, 2007 7:18 am
thanks for helping us out of a tight spot. good luck in the future Shaka.

8. Comment by Flagler96 on August 22, 2007 7:28 am
People made a big deal about His-fault’s salary because he became the highest paid goalkeeper in the league and took up an S.I. spot all while never being able to win the starting job (even while his good buddy was the head coach.) Hislop can’t be the only player who is making 1/10 of what they’ve made in earlier parts of their career. I’m sure Ricchetti and Sala are making a pittance of what they’ve made in their past, but at least they’ve contributed something in the short time they’ve been here. I also find it hard to believe that His-fault was making more than his rumored $300,000+ here as a third-string keeper in the EPL. No other club could possibly be that stupid.

9. Comment by Ed on August 22, 2007 7:41 am
Best of luck to Shaka in the future. He is a really nice guy and I am sorry to see fans like FCDALLAS put him down. While his FC Dallas career wasn’t how anyone would have liked it to be, he did have a very good career overall.

10. Comment by Nathan on August 22, 2007 7:43 am
Shaka is a super nice guy and has had a terrific career. I wish him all the best for his future.

It’s a shame that some people have sought to take out some of their frustrations on him. Just like everyone else in this world, he wants to do what’s best for him and his family and while his 200+k salary is a lot for Dallas and a lot for an MLS goalkeeper, it’s probably not close to what Shaka was making with West Ham.

As was mentioned earlier by Hank, the blame for this whole fiasco lies squarely in the lap of Clarke and Hitch. I would like to think that this was a major factor in Clarke’s dismissal… but Hitch must have given his rubber stamp to this, so he’s got just as much skin in this.

Move on…

11. Comment by mudpoet on August 22, 2007 7:53 am
I think it’s time to stop bashing the FO and definitely time to stop bashing Shaka. It’s over now…let’s just move on. SH had a great career and I hold no ill will toward him. CC screwed up and Hitch shouldn’t have approved it, but at least it’s over and done with. We can move on to signing a DP.

The best part of this to me, though, is that Burse gets what he deserves: a bump to the SR roster and increased salary. Congrats Ray-J!!

No let’s move on to signing that DP…

12. Comment by Sara on August 22, 2007 8:06 am
The guy who married my mom was “supposedly” a great guy but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t happy to see him leave just the same :grin:!

13. Comment by Cai on August 22, 2007 8:58 am
I completely agree w/ mudpoet. As we get our injured players back and healthy, I believe this team can accomplish great things this year. Let’s all get behing them. Attend the games, be loud, bring friends!

14. Comment by Parrish on August 22, 2007 9:04 am
The signing of Shaka was a bold decision that didn’t pan out. I don’t blame the FO for making a move to bring a world-class player into the fold. The fact of it is that there were a lot of options and opportunities related to the Hislop acquisition, but Dario awesomed them out of the realm of possibility. That being said, I’m not sure I can forgive the fella for what happened in Houston during the 2006 USOC.

15. Comment by Paul on August 22, 2007 9:18 am
I blame Hitchcock for allowing a large contract with no out clause and making the Hislop the most expensive GK in the league when that wasn’t our weakness last year. I blame Clarke for whatever “special perk” he and Knight received for the deal. And I resent Hislop for treating MLS like a retirment plan and not caring enough about the team to even feign interest as a coach during the past 6 weeks.

16. Comment by twotone on August 22, 2007 12:57 pm
I think the GK coach Alan Knight can share some of the blame with CC and Hitch…..since they had connections via England back in the day.

17. Comment by eddie j on August 22, 2007 2:51 pm
waste of money and time. the guy has a great game or two at the past world cup after a seemingly un-noticed career and dallas took the bait. i wonder if shaka and dallas came up with some deal to make him “retire” rather than dallas “dropping” him

18. Comment by G on August 22, 2007 2:57 pm
I agree, quit bashing. I was excited when we signed him due to his world cup. I never heard anything bad about him and it seemed like he played hard, he just was getting old. Good move for the team and we really haven’ suffered because of him. We still have one of the best records in the league. Booyakasha.

19. Comment by Skeeter on August 22, 2007 2:59 pm
As a Hammers fan I always had a soft spot for Shaka, but I am very happy at todays news. Is Shaka now the full time GK coach? Why would Burse get the senior roster spot and not Pitch?
Didn’t Pitch get moved to the DV roster and have to take a pay cut when Pablo joined the team? Pitch has played an important role this season and it seems like the right thing to do would be to move him back to the varsity list.

20. Comment by BOFA on August 22, 2007 3:11 pm
Burse probalby go the spot due to MLS rules stating youmust have two GK’s on full roster? (I think I read that somewhere)

21. Comment by Skeeter on August 22, 2007 5:17 pm
I just had a horrifying thought. :shock:
Casey Keller hasn’t found a team yet, has he?
Buzz, Please tell me that there’s no chance we could see Keller as out DP.

22. Comment by Left Coast on August 22, 2007 5:17 pm
His-Slop! That was a funny one.

23. Comment by Buzz Carrick on August 22, 2007 5:37 pm
Keller would stun me. FCD has a great keeper in Dario and a very nice backup in Burse. Keeper is not really a trouble spot.

24. Comment by Right Coast on August 22, 2007 5:46 pm
I was always partial to Shaky His-Fault myself.

25. Comment by tater on August 22, 2007 6:09 pm
In Shaka’s defense, I’ll say he never let in four goals in seventeen minutes.
Dario ain’t that special.
Burse may save our season.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:10:45 AM »

As bitter and unfair as some of the comments may seem, I think we would have had the same thoughts, if say for example you're a die hard superstar rangers fan and they spent a substantial portion of our budget on a player who then left on the grounds of retirement
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
Hold yuh head high Shaka! HIGH! Den again yuh done know.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 10:36:17 AM »

As bitter and unfair as some of the comments may seem, I think we would have had the same thoughts, if say for example you're a die hard superstar rangers fan and they spent a substantial portion of our budget on a player who then left on the grounds of retirement

Still, as some of the posts are pointing out, is it really Shaka's fault. He is a professional baller, he had an option to stay at the Hammers for another year as the backup, that was confirmed by Pardew when Shaka left. For whatever reason he obiviously thought the Dallas deal was better, can you blame him (though I can't believe it was for the cash, no way he was earning such a small sum at the Hammers, thats like £3k a week!! not a premiership salary by a long shot)! He was a professional footballer at the time, it was his job to play football. It's the fault of the Dallas management for giving a 37 year old an offer, not Shaka for accepting it! Shaka is a genuine guy and clearly did'nt think it would pan out as it did.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »
Congrats on a great career Shaka.  And thanks for the memories, especially the blinder of a game against Sweden.

With regards to the naysayers, as the Doc used to say, "Let the jackass bray." 

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
I not putting too much stock into this statement.

From the time I see the headline I knew it wasn't a good thing, from the standpoint of him playing again.  Shaka wasn't playing and it's clear that Ray Burse is a kid with a tremendous upside.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay with Dallas and begin his coaching career since I  think that's where his mind is right now.  It would be a great situation for Dallas, to get a world-class and World Cup goalie to mentor their young goalie...and a decent situation for Shaka as well, he won't have to uproot his family anytime soon.

We'll see.

I seem to remember reading something about him assuming some coaching duties before this came about. I don't know what the status of that is now. I notice it wasn't mentioned in this piece.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
Exactly what were they down on Shaka about anyways, did he have a bad game or series of games?  The guy was hardly ever on the field!

Anyways, he should have stayed in the EPL...but whatever, he gets to have his quarter mil and ride off into the sunset.

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 04:47:52 AM »
Exactly what were they down on Shaka about anyways, did he have a bad game or series of games?  The guy was hardly ever on the field!

Anyways, he should have stayed in the EPL...but whatever, he gets to have his quarter mil and ride off into the sunset.

Similar situation as Kelvin Jack at Gillingham. They sign him, give him a medical, then he gets injured. Gillingham had no reserve keeper and had to rely on loaners all season. Kelvin was forced to come back too soon and his injury worsened. Then the management blame Kelvin because they are under pressure. The fans turn against the player because they haven't seen him perform well. The whole relationship sours and neither player, management or fans are happy. Gillingham have now signed two more keepers and it looks like Kello is out of favour through no fault of his own.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 08:52:57 AM »

I think it was salary vs performance. They had a decent keeper and the coach goes and signs someone else for big(in their eyes) money and he can't even replace the current keeper. They feel the money should have gone towards shoring up some other holes in their lineup and that they were being taken advantage of by Shaka. Mind you, as you can see in Tallman's post, some of them rightly point the finger at management.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 09:22:31 AM »
goodbye shaka.

welcome denilson.

FC Dallas lands Brazil's Denilson

Deal is finalized with midfielder after two months of negotiations

03:54 AM CDT on Friday, August 24, 2007
By GABRIEL CABARROUY / Al Día gcabarrouy@aldiatx.com

After months of negotiations, FC Dallas has acquired a Brazilian superstar.

Denilson de Oliveras, who played on the 2002 World Cup championship team, signed with FC Dallas on Thursday as the team's designated player.

The 29-year-old midfielder arrived in Dallas on Wednesday and finalized his deal Thursday. A news conference has been scheduled for Monday.

"Adding a player like Denilson will improve us further and give us a boost as we go into the final stretch of the season," FC Dallas coach Steve Morrow said.

The terms of the deal were not revealed.

Denilson will start playing as soon as he receives his work visa. By that time, FC Dallas will have to make a roster move to open up one of four senior international spots.

Either Argentinean midfielder Pablo Ricchetti, Canadian defender Adrian Serioux, Brazilian midfielder Marcelo Saragosa or Guatemalan striker Carlos Ruiz will have to be traded.

FC Dallas has been negotiating with Denilson for the last two months.

He visited Pizza Hut Park last month, but negotiations stalled a couple of weeks ago because of differences in the structure of the contract.

"It is something that took many days, but in the end came out well, as we had planned," Denilson said in a statement. "I'm anxious to get started playing, and to join a team that is in a good position in the league."

FC Dallas (11-7-3) is in second place in the Western Conference, one point behind first-place Houston.

AP
Denilson de Oliveras scored nine goals in 60 games for Brazil. "I hope that through my work I will be able to contribute to this team and have success in this league," Denilson said.

The Brazilian made his professional debut with Sao Paulo at the age of 17 in 1994. Four years later, Spanish Real Betis paid $36 million for his transfer fee, the largest amount at that time.

After seven years in the Spanish league, Denilson moved to Bordeaux and later to Saudi Arabia, where he last played.

Denilson had been a regular member of the Brazilian national team since the late 1990s, scoring nine goals in 60 matches. He received the Golden Ball award for being the best player in the 1997 FIFA Confederations Cup.

He also helped Brazil finish second in the 1998 World Cup .

"Signing a player of Denilson's caliber is another step in our organization's commitment to winning championships for our fans," FC Dallas General Manager Michael Hitchcock said.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »
Thanks for the answers Kent and Mose  :beermug:

1]; } ?>