April 19, 2024, 04:54:27 PM

Author Topic: Alone in Korea.  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Alone in Korea.
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
Alone in Korea.
By: Peter O’Connor (Newsday).

I wonder if our Young Warriors are aware of how alone they really are in South Korea?

Do they know that our television is not even bringing their games to us “live” and that there is no radio coverage of our matches at all? TV-6, which advertised that it was bringing, “live” the matches of the FIFA Under-17 World Championships, blithely, and as far as I am aware, without advance notice, decided to pre-empt the TT versus Ghana match for Morning Edition, and show the match, delayed, at 8.45am instead. Well, for all of us who had made arrangements to stay at home to watch, and support our boys, this was a shock!

Unless you were not working, or had nothing to do with your life, it meant that you were going to miss the live telecast. I left home very angry, deciding that I would have to settle for radio commentary instead. To my utter disbelief, I discovered that there is no live commentary of the Trinidad and Tobago Under-17 matches at the World Championships. As far as TT radio is concerned, we are not even in Korea. Have we no shame at all? Here we are, in our Independence month, 45 years as a sovereign and independent nation, and our Youth Team has qualified to play in the World Championships, and not a single member of the local media — print, radio or television — is there to report for us.

As one local commentator remarked — and at least he did express disappointment that there was no local media in Korea: “We have to settle for the syrupy reports of the TTFF Media Officer.” Well thank God for Shaun Fuentes, and if you find him too “syrupy” maybe you can trot down to the ongoing Caribbean Football Union Under-15 Championships, currently being played at venues throughout Trinidad and Tobago, and dig up something a little less syrupy to write about. And while on that topic, I can say that 105.1FM is carrying the TT Under-15 matches live when we play.

However, they still interrupt the live action to bring a series of ads twice in each half! So if you missed hearing a goal scored, just thank the product being advertised, and remember not to purchase it in the future.

Why is it that the electronic media and the advertising industry — two entities which are at the cutting edge of the future — continue to remain so utterly backward when it comes to sports broadcasting? Well, back to the games: I am yet to see the TT vs Ghana match because the re-run was at 10.35 pm, just right for youngsters who wish to support their older brothers! I got the result late on Monday morning by going to the FIFA website, and I did see the highlights on the news. Yes, we were disappointed, and yes our defence was too square in the first half. Four goals are a lot, but we have to keep our faith and we have to build upon our experience.

At least TV-6 brought the Colombia game live, but I could not watch it, and suffered from the fact that there was no radio commentary. Guess what? St Kitts has live television coverage of our matches. This is the e-mail I received from St Kitts: “I watched most of the 1st half and at 1-nil down thought we looked good (keeper was saving well). Checked later and saw that we lost 5-0. A bit disappointing after what I thought was a good 1st half showing.” Thanks, son, I just got the score and I too was disappointed. However, I take heart that we managed to “look good” for a while. We now await the attacks.

But what would the people of TT like the Federation to do? The local comments after the Ghana match were scathing as usual: “We barely qualified, TTFF led us to believe we would be competitive, so far we have not been, therefore why are we there?” So tell us, TT, should we withdraw from all international competition?

Should we quit? Is that what you want us to tell these brave young men who carried our flag halfway around the world? And why have we not been as competitive as you would have liked — you who never went to see them as Under-15s and Under-16s?

In a subsequent column I will give you the preparation schedules of the other teams in our group, and I will give you our warm-up schedule. And when you ask why we are not as prepared as them, I will ask you for your support in our next campaign, so that we can be just like them. Will you be there for your sons?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:53:43 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Alone in Korea
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:58:16 PM »
On the one hand, Mr O'Connor is preaching gospel.  Everything he says is true.

There is a whole lot however, he NEGLECTED TO SAY.

Like for instance....

1 - People might just be a little fed up with the shenanigans of a supposed Federation that is for all intents and purposes run according to the whims and fancies of it's "SPECIAL ADVISOR"
2 - People might be a little skeptical to throw their whole hearted and emotional support behind players who could be easily black listed for a triviality as not being perceived to pay the proper respect to said "SPECIAL ADVISOR"
3 - Media, Corporate T&T, and the population at large might just not have the emotional capital to invest in our players knowing that nothing fundamentally has changed with the administration of the sport and all we really doin is spinnin top in mud and bumpin we gum which appears to be our specialty.

Mr O'Connor....we are largely a nation of sporting bandwagonnists.  What you see here on this site and who you see at the various grounds supporting PFL teams, Minor League football etc are the real hard core football lovers.  We're a pretty substantial minority.  Therefore by definition, yes....there are a whole lot of people who don't care.  That's a fact.

The one's who suffer are invariably the one's who have the dubious honour of  representing ALL OF US, the passionate and apathetic alike, on the field of play and be ridiculed off of it if results don't live up to unrealistic expectations.  Some even get seriously injured in the line of duty and are left largely to fend for themselves.

The one fundamental entity that has to change....and change for the better to ensure accountability and transparence from every one of it's members is the body that is charged with administering football in Trinidad & Tobago.  And that doesn't only apply to football.  We have a crisis of administration in general and sporting administration in particular in our twin island state.  We send players and coaches to academies and courses the world over, but we have no such facility for the guardians of the game(s) itself.

Until these fundamental issues are addressed and dealt with effectively, you will continue to pen articles like these ad infinitum.  Next time u sharin licks though, please try and do so evenly.  Doh jes blame de media although yes, they are culpable.  Try and understand & report why they would be apathetic to our team being in Korea.

Thanx.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:25:29 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:  Brilliant, brilliant post. I feel shame for O'Connor and almost shame to add my 2cents.

In a subsequent column I will give you the preparation schedules of the other teams in our group, and I will give you our warm-up schedule. And when you ask why we are not as prepared as them, I will ask you for your support in our next campaign, so that we can be just like them. Will you be there for your sons?

I wish Mr. O'Connor would please explashiate on how public support will make the federation alter its preparation schedules in the next campaign. Is he

suggesting that if I watch our u-17s play Harvard FC the TTFF would have lined up that mini tournament with Brazil and Haiti  they promised instead of

Joe Public or Crab Connection?  In more responsible nations this abyssmal and consistent failure to secure support from a jaded public AND funding from the

business sector for such events would be cause for RESIGNATION of the administration members charged with those duties. The public was not apathetic

in the days of the Strike Squad, Defence Force and Trintoc, North/south clash. What happened and who is to blame for that?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 05:51:33 PM »
i remember how pissing vex i get with tv6 for not bringing d ghana game, i could off cuss dem  >:(
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 05:54:10 PM »
The way Peter O'Connor talking, you might almost think he know something about running TT Football.

Although some of his comments might be on taret, it hard to swallow coming from this source.

JW's number one Lap Dog back in the 80s, as he and his colleagues showed how little they knew of running football, that led to the best footballers not representing us for something like three years.

STTEEUUPPSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:33:44 PM »
criticism will come and the fellaz try hard, but I thnk fifa should consider either taking tha final spot away from us at this level or having a play off for it with s / america or europe.  I think holland would have performed better than T&T.  patriotism aside.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:15:58 AM »
criticism will come and the fellaz try hard, but I thnk fifa should consider either taking tha final spot away from us at this level or having a play off for it with s / america or europe.  I think holland would have performed better than T&T.  patriotism aside.

In fact Fifa shouldn't have qualification. The should just invite the top teams who they think will perform best. The bad teams? hard luck, get good and you might get an invite.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:59 AM »
decent article by peter... excellent follow up flex... thorough and concise...

this shit has to stop.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Alone in Korea.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 09:45:20 AM »

Once again, Concacaf deserved its 5 spots. Mexico were champions in the last edition, and both the US and Costa Rica were consistently qualified for the knockout stages which only had 16 teams. From the time they expanded it to 24, 4 teams was a given, and 5 was justified.

Anybody who follow qualification know we weren't suppose to qualify. Mexico make the mistake of coming third in a 4 team group and that's the end of it. Is just like Africa in the 06 World Cup. No one in their right mind wouldn't agree that Africa have 5 quality teams at senior level. The fact is, that when they gave them the 5 spots, they weren't banking on togo and angola to qualify.

Not to take away the merit from either the Under 17s or the togolese/Angolans seniors but a qualifying competition should be ideally crafted to send your best representatives to the finals.

To begin with, I'm not sure how we ended up having two final groups of unequal size. The ideal thing would have been to have 5 teams in each group and let the two third placers duke it out, or to have 2 groups of 4.

Finally what we finished with was a pretty poor placing and we'll probably lose a spot if we don't host the next tournament. That said, anything can happen in the unlikely but not impossible scenario that Costa Rica or the US end up winning it.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 10:19:36 AM »
That's really bad.
Whether or not Jamaica is in a major football tournament we see the majority of the games live with a few games delayed. And that is dependent on the schedule.
And now with our two local sports stations CVM-TV PLUS and TVJ Sports Network things have improved.
jjbrown

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »

In fact Fifa shouldn't have qualification. The should just invite the top teams who they think will perform best. The bad teams? hard luck, get good and you might get an invite.

Bitter, you are missing the point of what the World Cup is about.

It is not the top 32 teams.  It is the top teams from each region.  Some regions are naturally weaker than others.  But guess what?  That is what makes for upsets and exciting matchups such as Cameroon 1-Argentina 0 (1990), South Korea 2-Italy 1 (2002), Senegal 1-France 0 (2002), and even Sweden 0- Trinidad and Tobago 0 in 2006.

It is only by playing against top competition that the minnows (which we certainly are at this point) will improve.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »

It is not the top 32 teams.  It is the top teams from each region.  Some regions are naturally weaker than others.  But guess what?  That is what makes for upsets and exciting matchups such as Cameroon 1-Argentina 0 (1990), South Korea 2-Italy 1 (2002), Senegal 1-France 0 (2002), and even Sweden 0- Trinidad and Tobago 0 in 2006.

It is only by playing against top competition that the minnows (which we certainly are at this point) will improve.

ah thought he was being sarcastic...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:50 AM »

It is not the top 32 teams.  It is the top teams from each region.  Some regions are naturally weaker than others.  But guess what?  That is what makes for upsets and exciting matchups such as Cameroon 1-Argentina 0 (1990), South Korea 2-Italy 1 (2002), Senegal 1-France 0 (2002), and even Sweden 0- Trinidad and Tobago 0 in 2006.

ah thought he was being sarcastic...

if so my bad. 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 02:23:24 PM »
Peter O'Connor now want to b part of d solution after he was part a major part of d problem for yrs. Loud steupssssssss. Why would any sponsor but money for d 300 die hards who on dis site to get up at an ungodly hr to see the Jnr Soca Warriors.

Is business dem fellas in not a charity they running
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>