April 20, 2024, 12:22:13 AM

Author Topic: Senior Corneal says T&T in Korea was like watching a movie with emotions.  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Senior Corneal says T&T in Korea.
...was like watching a movie with emotions.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidadian FIFA Technical Study Group member Alvin Corneal, currently on duty at the FIFA Under 17 World Championship witnessed two of Trinidad and Tobago’s  matches against Ghana and Colombia over the past week and he believes that the period definitely served in paving a better road for the future of the local game.
Corneal, a former national coach and player said that while predictions and assumptions have been made both before and after T&T’s appearance on the second world stage within just over a year, the fact remains that most would have been correct.
“Some will call it a rude awakening for our young footballers. Others will refer to it as a disappointing appearance to the FIFA World U17 tournament. There are those who will claim that they knew the results before the matches were played. Funnily enough, everyone was correct in making their own assessments of our national U17s in Seoul, Korea,” Corneal stated.
However he pointed out that watching the young “Soca Warriors” in action in Korea was almost like watching a movie “with emotion involved”.
“It’s  not unusual to expect the best from the team we support, providing that we are aware of what is considered the best for T&T in this arena, where the big guns of the Football world, seem as uncertain as ourselves as to what they can expect from their own youngsters.
“Sitting and watching the matches for a ‘trini’ supporter was not just like watching a movie, but there was emotion involved among those who saw this stage as a huge one in the lives of these teenagers. We saw Ghana score three goals in forty minutes and pondered as to what kind of scoreline will the end result be. It ended 4-1, a relief for the fans who felt that it would be much more. Many even missed the recognition of the small nation of T&T holding the two time winners to a 1-1 in the second half and earning 51 percent of the possession.
T&T also had more possession, 54 to 46 percent in the 5-0 loss to Germany.
“If we accepted Ghana s absolute physical superiority and ball dominance in the first half, it would have been equally as fair to admire the courage and determination of the new kids on the block, T&T, who would have come away with valuable lessons from the exercise.
“Columbia was five times  better on goals to the Young Soca Warriors, who went to the half time whistle trailing by one goal. To a realist, that would have bothered the Columbians, who were aiming to win the group and move to the round of sixteen.
Maybe our emotions took a beating when we succumbed to a second goal in the 60th minute and dropped our heads in despair, losing the gist of this essential exercise of learning for the future and allowing a mistake to be ineffective to the mindset of the player.”
A head coach at one point and now seeing his son at the helm, the senior Corneal knows well that the aftermath will be just as difficult as the period during the actual action.
“Even for the Coaching staff, the experience is vital, whether its about the hot climate, the vast time change, the selection of age group teams in the context of how the choice of players should be chosen in the original stages. A statistical review of comparisons of age, is interesting. Having looked at the more advanced countries involved in the tournament and speaking with many of the coaches, there is a serious lesson from which we should address in the future. All of Argentina, Brasil, Germany, USA, Belgium, England, Ghana, Nigeria Japan, Korea, Spain Costa Rica and Colombia, selected their players based upon their birth date being in the 1990 year. In this way, they had full fledge seventeen year olds, or close to seventeen. Trinidad and Tobago had five players born in 1991.

He then asked the question.

“What does it say ? It says that maturity, physical capability would not have been comparative to the others. There was an age disparity of some twenty three months, through no fault of our own or the organisers. The big countries have more of a population from which to choose and could afford to allow the younger players to wait their turn. We cannot. Our secondary school players vary from 13 to 18 in the school competition, and we do not take heed.

Now it’s time sit, stand and run a review.

“Well, reality has hit us and now we must sit and review our development for the future. These young players appears to us to be extremely talented, when we compare them with those among whom they compete locally. World Cup is vastly different and there is every reason why we should take another look at our approach.
“Criticise if its going to bring you comfort, cry if it will end your pain, but please do not allow the lessons to be missed amidst the results  of a tournament . The road to a better future for our Football is ahead, probably with more ammunition for the preparatory process,” Corneal concluded.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I thought he woulda cut and paste he comments from d Gold Cup
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I know they woulda talk about T&T having more ball possession than Germany.  By the first half was 60% to 40% in T&T favour, but all the possession we had was just with the defenders knocking the ball between deyself, no forward movement whatsoever.  When the Germans get fed waiting for the ball to come forward, they would put the defenders under some pressure and then is boom kick up de field,where we forwards cyah get the ball and the Germans get it back, and pressure in we arse again.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I thought he woulda cut and paste he comments from d Gold Cup

To tell you the truth man...I really fed up with hearing the ol' development excuses over and over again.  After every frigging tournament all the coaches does do is pick a couple excuses from the approved list, that is the list where the general public cyah really fault the coach or the players and accept the reasons for failure.
Is a young side
The side is still developing
Conditions were against us from the start.
Not enough time to prepare
The paste of the game outside in too fast for our players
They have a larger crop of players to choose from.

Ah sure allyuh could add to the list.  Ah must admit though...Corneal strike a new one...the big teams choose players just at the right age.  There was an age disparity of some 23 months. ::)

Maybe the WI team could use that one in the future.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
"... he pointed out that watching the young “Soca Warriors” in action in Korea was ALMOST like watching a movie “with emotion involved”.

does the word almost make a difference?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Trinidadian FIFA Technical Study Group member Alvin Corneal, currently on duty at the FIFA Under 17 World Championship witnessed two of Trinidad and Tobago’s  matches against Ghana and Colombia over the past week and he believes that the period definitely served in paving a better road for the future of the local game.

This futire that everybody in the football hierarchy does be talking about when it coming? In my lifetime?

I eh even read the rest of the article fuss I fed up of hearing bout this future.

When the future go reach, look Zidane son getting on for Real Under 9. Dem taking steps towards the future wha we doing.........getting 4 and 5 goals in a tournament and men on the forum ball we play good.

I really want to know what football dem was watching yes.

Més que un club.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
so corneal real into horror movies.....jus kidding

disgruntled ah borrowing that pic of the barca 4
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

yeah man you big yuh self

look wha the future holds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcY_FEzGIs

Més que un club.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Why Alvin doh go and f00ck Anton..... 2 asshole who feel they know everything...... and take McComie and Gorden with allyuh....

Poor coaching, poor preparations and players un-fit....... 3 main problems in Korea.... PERIOD !!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

This futire that everybody in the football hierarchy does be talking about when it coming? In my lifetime?

I eh even read the rest of the article fuss I fed up of hearing bout this future.

When the future go reach, look Zidane son getting on for Real Under 9. Dem taking steps towards the future wha we doing.........getting 4 and 5 goals in a tournament and men on the forum ball we play good.

I really want to know what football dem was watching yes.

Easy dey gruntled hosssss ;D Think about it. When have our Under 17s ever qualified for a WC? Never. So let's take it one step at a time. I understand people's disappointment, but please never forget that these boys actually qualified for a WC. So let's see if we build on that..time will tell if it is real progress or just a flash in the pan.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Ah....no...chupsss..wha....he....Corneal....chupsssss....

*sigh* same shit, different day.......ah give up...... ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:29:46 AM by brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
same sh-t different corneal, just wondering when he talks about the future if he means his grandson coaching the future national teams....

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile

yeah man you big yuh self

look wha the future holds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcY_FEzGIs

What.....no head butt!!!??
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Senior Corneal says T&T in Korea was like watching a movie with emotions.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
Who remember this article.

Dion La foucade fires back.
By Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Sacked Trinidad and Tobago national under-17 coach Dion La Foucade yesterday slammed Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) technical advisor Alvin Corneal’s assertion that he was not ready for the job.
Corneal, a FIFA technical study member and former standout national player and coach, told the Daily Express on Friday that La Foucade was too inexperienced to handle the position previously held by Nigerian Adegboye Onigbinde and Brazilian Rene Simoes.
However, La Foucade insisted that Corneal's comments were totally unfounded as he attempted to prove his capabilities with documentary evidence.
“I have no problem with (new U-17 coach) Ron La Forest,” said La Foucade. “I wish him the best in his post but I feel I have the same if not more experience than Ron.”
"I can coach adults too. To make it seem that all Dion La Foucade does is sit down in Goodwood Park and work with four-year-olds is ridiculous."
La Foucade listed his qualifications which included an English FA full badge, a FIFA badge, a United States Soccer Federation (USSF) B’ license, a Caribbean Football Union (CFU) level one certificate and an advanced diploma from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.
He is also recognised by the Brazilian Football Academy and was named Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs 1998 Coach of the Year.
La Foucade pointed to a pile of recommendations as well from the likes of FIFA goalkeeping coach Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips, CONCACAF technical director Marcos Falopa, ex-TTFA president Peter O' Connor, Portsmouth goalkeeper Shaka Hislop and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner.
The paper trail—which begun in 1988—spoke in glowing terms of La Foucade as a “progressive young coach”, “keen student of the game” and “a natural born leader”.
For all the theoretical accolades, though, there was an undeniable lack of practical experience barring a short stint as assistant national under-17 coach to Michael Grayson and the deceased Arthur "Jap" Brown.
But La Foucade retorted that the recommendations of such learned football officials and players must count for something and argued, once he was hired in the first place, he deserved a chance.
The former St Anthony’s College player was fired on Thursday in his first training session after whittling his squad from 40 to 25 players and two days before his official practise match against Brazil.
One player who did not meet La Foucade’s standards was 16-year-old St George’s College defender Jamal Warner, son of the former T&TFF special advisor, and La Foucade again hinted that his exclusion may have played a part in his sacking.
“Everybody has to read between the lines,” he said. “I won’t spell out what happened."
Warner, who hired La Foucade in the first place, was present at the T&TFF meeting in which he was removed on Thursday and his son, Jamal, was re-instated into the team the following day.
Warner was a second half substitute on Saturday as the national under-17 team beat Barbados 3-1 at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.
La Foucade, who claimed to have been hurt by the dismissal, said that local coaches must become more unified and supportive of each other to be taken seriously by the T&TFF.
Still, La Foucade said that he would consider the position of national under-15 coach if it is offered to him.
“I will only accept the (U-15) post if things are done properly and I am shown the highest level of respect,” he said. “If I am given a proper contract and the chance to develop players and not just used as a short term measure.”

Flex Archive - 30th-Sept-2002
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 09:56:25 AM »
I vaguely remember this. Sam did they ever even give an "official" reason for them firing him?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
The TTFF dont give reasons. They just act on paulse...

1]; } ?>