April 25, 2024, 04:43:32 AM

Author Topic: NO BEARING ON BEIJING - Officials play down poor World Champs  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NO BEARING ON BEIJING - Officials play down poor World Champs
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:09:23 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161197814

NO BEARING ON BEIJING

Officials play down poor World Champs

Kwame Laurence

Monday, September 3rd 2007

At the six editions of theIAAF World Championships in Athletics held between 1995 and 2005, Trinidad and Tobago appeared on the medal table five times. That impressive five-of-six record, however, dropped to five-of-seven following the 11th edition of the global meet, here in Osaka, Japan.

The last time T&T missed out on World Championship precious metal, ahead of Osaka 2007, was in 1999 in Seville, Spain, injury to Ato Boldon probably robbing the country of a perfect six-from-six record in the 95-05 decade.

T&T's Osaka team was also weakened by injury, sprinter Darrel Brown and jumper Rhonda Watkins both missing out.

Team manager Dexter Voisin told the Express that the medal-less World Championship performance is not an accurate reflection of the country's prospects at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

"Based on the absence of these two athletes, and probably others, this cannot be used as an indicator to 2008 Beijing."

National Amateur Athletic Association (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette concurred.

"It's long ways before we could make a prediction, but based on the performances here-in the absence of Darrel and Rhonda-I think Trinidad and Tobago look well for Beijing."

Marc Burns was the best of the T&T athletes on show at the 2007 World Championships, the 24-year-old sprinter shrugging off a less-than-impressive build-up to the meet to advance all the way to the men's 100 metres final. Burns was eighth in the championship race in 10.29 seconds.

Ato Modibo also did well, reaching the semi-final round of the men's 400m. His 45.12 seconds clocking in thesemis was the 28-year-old quarter-miler's fastest run in more than two years.

On Saturday, Modibo teamed up with 18-year-old Jovon Toppin, Jarrin Solomon, 21, and Renny Quow, 20, for a three minutes, 02.92 seconds clocking in the second of two men's 4x400m qualifying heats. T&T finished fifth, and did not advance to yesterday's final. Toppin and Solomon, though, made memorable World Championship debuts.

"We saw some grit," said a satisfied Voisin, "especially with the youngsters. It's not theresult we had hoped for, but it was a good showing.

"The overall performance of the team," the manager continued, "is nothing to boast about. However, we knew that the team is a very young team. In the men's 4x1, our experienced athletes didn't come together to qualify. That would have been one of our medal hopes."

At the 2005 World Championships, in Helsinki, Finland, T&T claimed silver in the men's sprint relay.

"We're working with the Government and the Sports Company," Serrette explained, "to get the kind of funding for the relay pools to have them in training probably earlier, and with a better preparation plan than the individualism thing that is happening. They need to give some consideration where country is concerned with the relays. I thought we would have done well in the 4x1. We have a good crop of sprinters.

"We have to go back to the drawing board," the president continued, "and have better planning with respect to Beijing. We have a crop of young athletes. You saw young Jovon Toppin holding his own in the mile relay. It says something."

As expected, United States struck gold in yesterday's men's 4x400m final, LaShawn Merritt, Angelo Taylor, Darold Williamson and back-to-back one-lap champion Jeremy Wariner combining for a 2:55.56 clocking. Bahamas earned silver in 2:59.18, while Poland secured bronze in 3:00.05.

The mile relay championship race brought the curtain down on Osaka 2007, the Americans emerging as the top team with 14 gold medals, four silver and eight bronze. Kenya (five gold, three silver, five bronze) and Russia (four gold, nine silver, three bronze) were second and third, respectively.

Jamaica finished eighth on the medal table. In addition to Veronica Campbell's women's 100m gold, the northern Caribbean nation claimed six silver medals and three bronze.

And thanks to Donald Thomas' men's high jump gold and the silver medals earned by the men's 4x400m team and Derrick Atkins in the men's 100m, Bahamas copped ninth spot.

Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NO BEARING ON BEIJING - Officials play down poor World Champs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:10:19 AM »
Officials covering their butts after mismanaging the whole TT athletic scene.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 05:33:23 AM »
The most true thing I have learned about us, in my almost 34 years:

You can almost never fool a Trini, but Trinis are experts at fooling themselves.

Yes, Darrel and Rhonda are the reason we got no medals this year.  But doh study dat".

By logic, if those two are hurt next year (Brown was hurt last olympics when he was 4 years younger!).......then.......

:-[

BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:46:07 PM »
The most true thing I have learned about us, in my almost 34 years:

You can almost never fool a Trini, but Trinis are experts at fooling themselves.

Yes, Darrel and Rhonda are the reason we got no medals this year.  But doh study dat".

By logic, if those two are hurt next year (Brown was hurt last olympics when he was 4 years younger!).......then.......

:-[

I feel it for you, you must be so frustrated.

However, I long ago gave you the best strategy for getting TNT to get their butt in gear!! You should have done a year's stint coaching in Jamaica then I think TnT would have been forced to react, even if solely based on the ingrained rivalry. Trust me, they would have forcibly brought you back home in a jiffy! LoL

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »
No I would have been labeled at sellout traitor who was never really "Trini enough" anyhow (with his Yankee upbringing), and it would still be the way it is now.

Watch the difference in how a real media responds to utter futility.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200709031080.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:40:15 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
What do they expect without a proper training programme and improper support. The government needs to get a brain!!![/font] And do some serious thinking. And I have a suggestion y don't u Ato come and train people at the new institue of Sport at UTT. We have got some young fiery talent I've already mention Kernisha Spann and Michelle Lee Ahye. We MUST have many many many more waiting to be discovered they need to hold some training trials or have some sport academy or something like the 'ASPIRE' programme in Qatar. To make the youngsters come out. Or have something like MVP training with u Ato being the head with links like John Smith (the great). That is how Jamica has got so many athletes. look how small Jamaica is but is still competeing with the top nations. And then after every crap performance the government like:'um how did we perform in this appauling manner i think i know but im not sure u know'. CRAP man. 

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
No I would have been labeled at sellout traitor who was never really "Trini enough" anyhow (with his Yankee upbringing), and it would still be the way it is now.

I guess you cant win anyway you turn. Sigh

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »

I guess you cant win anyway you turn. Sigh

You know what though willi? There are some here who see the forest for the trees and understand when a man is so fed up of trying to get through to these numbskulls that he ends up going to greener pastures. A prime example of a wake up call for Trinis was Jamaica's qualification for France. There were some sour ones, whom I suspect are responsible for Mosiah and others next door who see Trinis in general as Jamaican haters, but for some it was the best thing that could have happened to our football. Too many times we chose to live on past glories and close calls because until then,  no one of comparable stature in the sport came close to acheiving what we had done. Dominance at  regional level though is not enough. Looking at Jamaica's medal total at these recently concluded World Champs, I suspect that someone among your ranks has realized that. We have reached the position in track were we have so much potential and no execution, at least not while in a Red White and Black uniform. So many collegiate stars and only one World Champs finalist, in any event, including relays.

Ato going to coach the Saudi programme coupled with a dismal Worlds and Pan Am makes for excellent timing. Someone with some semblamce of a brain has already said "we doin shit". It's just a matter of planning for Beijing now as best as we can... already behind the ball.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:42:18 AM by Tallman »
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 04:31:32 PM »
What do they expect without a proper training programme and improper support. The government needs to get a brain!!![/font] And do some serious thinking. And I have a suggestion y don't u Ato come and train people at the new institue of Sport at UTT. We have got some young fiery talent I've already mention Kernisha Spann and Michelle Lee Ahye. We MUST have many many many more waiting to be discovered they need to hold some training trials or have some sport academy or something like the 'ASPIRE' programme in Qatar. To make the youngsters come out. Or have something like MVP training with u Ato being the head with links like John Smith (the great). That is how Jamica has got so many athletes. look how small Jamaica is but is still competeing with the top nations. And then after every crap performance the government like:'um how did we perform in this appauling manner i think i know but im not sure u know'. CRAP man. 

Is not a government ting in my opinion.  Is a lack of T&F culture mainly.

Back in the day with Southern Games, we had way more of a T&F culture than we do now.  Now whatever we achieve is relatively remarkable given the lack of media overage, and the general apathy shown towards the sport by the general public.

But this isn't just true of T&F...I would venture to say it's true of many sports in T&T.  We livin in a completely different age and without that constant reinforcement by the technological tools, sports in T&T fight a losing battle.

Intercol has a culture in T&T and even that has dwindled from not so long ago.  That's one of the few sports in T&T I can think of that has somewhat retained that culture.  Compare it to T&F in jamaica and it's chalk and cheese.  Champs in jamaica is national news. 

Let's take a test....who are the current T&T national men's and women's 100 metres champions?  Without googling, who can give accurate responses in the blue riband event of T&F?

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »
To be honest I and all couldn't tell u but i know in Jamaica is Asafa and Veronica, respectively....its not a gov't thing per se its not in their hands, but lawd look at Bahamas!

It's cultural!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »
Darrel and Sasha Springer and I knew that without out looking up, but seriously we don't have a track culture here. I have watched a bunch of videos from the JA high school champs this year and the stadium was jam pack. Look like ah intercol final with everybody face paint up in the school colours and chanting all kinda ting.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 10:29:38 AM »
I guess it is a cultural ting afta all. So we''l just have to sit here and see what the future holds

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
Sitting and seeing is exactly why we are where we are now....I am so ashamed I can't take it again.  What a joke....we not even #2 in the damn Caribbean in track and field....

Meanwhile, these complete ignoramuses who have not the slightest clue as to what it takes to put out world class athletes in track and field are talking about oh it wasn't so bad....really? 1 final, zero medals?

HELLO Jamaica left their #1 world ranked female sprinter from last year at HOME so the "oh this one was hurt" is a piss poor excuse....look let me stop before I really start to get on, oui.

Like u say, I go sit and see. (MORE of the SAME)
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »
Sitting and seeing is exactly why we are where we are now....I am so ashamed I can't take it again.  What a joke....we not even #2 in the damn Caribbean in track and field....

Meanwhile, these complete ignoramuses who have not the slightest clue as to what it takes to put out world class athletes in track and field are talking about oh it wasn't so bad....really? 1 final, zero medals?

HELLO Jamaica left their #1 world ranked female sprinter from last year at HOME so the "oh this one was hurt" is a piss poor excuse....look let me stop before I really start to get on, oui.

Like u say, I go sit and see. (MORE of the SAME)

Yeah it is clear that TNT T&F admin is full of it.

I feel your collective pain and wish I could help. The squandering of talent is not right. There needs to be a coup in the Admin of the sport. That almost happened in jamaica about 8 years ago. A group (Franno included) made up of younger business people tried to win the elections. Their undoing was a lack of humility and they were braggging and declaring victory even before votes were cast. A pity as JAAA would be a professionally run body now, instead of a good semi-Pro outfit.

Perhaps someone like Ato who has credibilty could lead this in the future...when the time is ripe. A wipeout in the next Olys may just be the opportunity!

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 03:00:03 PM »
That's exactly wat i waz tryin to emphasize wen using my last comment. That's d way we're sounding like we doe care so  der's no point it's jus craziness and one ting dat suprised me is da we're not even Number 2 in the CARIBBEAN.  >:(

1]; } ?>