April 27, 2024, 01:24:04 PM

Author Topic: Growing up Gay in Jamaica  (Read 19287 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Growing up Gay in Jamaica
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »

Sad commentary on on humans treat each other for no real reason other than hatred and bigotry.

Not too long ago, people thought it was acceptable to enslave others.  The face of hatred and bigotry changes as time moves forward.

Just my humble opinion ... that all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20644162/site/newsweek/

Web Exclusive, By Patrick Falby
Newsweek International
Updated: 12:49 p.m. ET Sept 8, 2007

Sept. 8, 2007 - Gay rights may be spreading in many countries, but not in Jamaica. Violence against gay men is high, and police often look the other way, say activists. When Brian Williamson, Jamaica’s leading gay rights activist, was murdered in June 2004, a crowd gathered outside the crime scene to celebrate. NEWSWEEK’s Patrick Falby spoke with Devon, a 30-year-old homosexual who was granted asylum in the United States three years ago, about growing up gay in Jamaica. Devon, who lives in New York and attends a Seventh-day Adventist church, didn’t want his last name used for fear of being thrown out of the congregation. Excerpts:

Falby: What’s it like being a homosexual in Jamaica?
Devon: Wow. Terrible. Ridiculous. I have not been accepted by my family. My sister kicked me out of her house, and I was dis-fellowshipped by my church. At church I was an usher, and I used to sing in the choir.

When did you realize you were a homosexual?
When I was born; ever since then I’ve felt that way. I used to wear my mother’s shoes on the road sometimes, and my family used to kick me with the shoes and tell me to not put them on. Because I had four sisters I played girls’ games like bandy shandy. I even used to play cricket with the girls. They used to say that I’m not a man, that I’m a woman because I play women’s games. They used to call me “battyman,” which means gay in Jamaica. I tried to keep a low profile, though, because people used to get beaten for being gay.

How did people find out?
A friend of mine came over to the house to give me guidance one day when I was 18, and one of my sisters saw him. From there on my sister said that she didn’t want me near her because I’m whatever and whatever. When my sister went to work, I used to make sure her kids were properly dressed, bathed, had something to eat, got them off to school and picked them up. I was her helper. When she said that about me it was surprising. My brother, when he found out, he told me he was going to kill me because he didn’t want somebody in the family like me. I couldn’t really believe my own family would do that, until it happened to me. I was surprised because back home I used to do anything they asked. If they called me and told me they needed anything and I had it, I’d give it to them.

You are no longer in contact with your family?
Once in a blue moon I’ll call them to say hi, and when there was a hurricane I called to find out if everyone was okay. I mostly talk to my niece and nephew, because they’re small kids and you cannot hold anything against a child. I also call my mom. She doesn’t approve of [being gay], but you know a mother will always be a mother no matter what. She will always show me a good face, but behind it she’s maybe not with me. Now that I’m in America, she might figure that I have money to send to Jamaica or something.

How were other homosexuals and lesbians treated?
Horrible. Terrible. I used to have a roommate, and when I left to come here she was killed at our place. Some men beat and cut up her and her lover.

Why is homophobia is so strong in Jamaica?
People are not tolerant with the lifestyle. Even married men, they go hide and they do their stuff, and at the end of the day they go back with their wives. If it was more accepted, people would be free and do things that they wanted. It’s also because people tend to lean on the church’s side, and say it’s not accepted by God and stuff like that. In church, when I hear them talk about it, I put up blind ears, like I don’t hear what they say. Even now, because I still go to a Seventh-day Adventist church here [in New York]. When they talk about it, I put up blind ears about it. [In Jamaica] and here [in New York], because of the church lifestyle, nobody’s going to come out.

How did you end up applying for asylum in the United States?

I just decided I really couldn’t take it anymore in Jamaica. So I went to the embassy and applied for a visiting visa and I decided I’m not going back, I’m going to apply for asylum. And here I am.

I’m not going to work now, but I’m going to college at the present, and I’m in the process of looking for jobs. I’ve been in America for three years. I also volunteer for Gay Men’s Health Crisis, a nonprofit organization in New York.

Do you think you’ll ever return to Jamaica?
The only way I’ll ever want to go back is if something changes so that people can live their lives and be free. They need to put something in place to protect people who are living this lifestyle in Jamaica. They have nothing in place; the police beat them, the members of the community beat them. And I hope and pray that [the new prime minister] can put something in place so that people like me, who lived the lifestyle in Jamaica, can live their lives.
© 2007 Newsweek, Inc.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Growing up Gay in Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:43:50 PM »
what about growing up straight in Barbados.lol :D :D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:09:33 PM »
what about growing up straight in Barbados.lol :D :D

i tried to read your post with a straight face but was unsuccessful  :D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:33:50 PM »
on a side note  ;)
allya saw the show on CNN after that Politician was caught in the bathroom in the airport?
they had a Psychologisy/Psychiatrist who was saying that the reason that all these Republicans are being caught in comprimising situations is as he said he believes that they ARE actually GAY themselves and even though their are married they secretly persue their lifestyle, they critisize others as they want to show that they are politically opposed to that type of behaviour.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:37:44 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:53:49 PM »
<awaiting for ah Jammie to enter dis thread>

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:56:11 PM by Emelda Ella Louise »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
<awaiting for ah Jammie to enter dis thread>
geh dem ah chance
day have to rip up some raw meat and listen to some putdong raggga music first :devil:

maybe dat is how a person thinks after eating questionable ackee
"Great care must be exercised in using this Jamaican ackee fruit, since both immature and over mature Jamaican ackee fruits may be toxic. "
http://www.getjamaica.com/About%20Jamaican%20Ackee.asp
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:21:39 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 10:43:55 PM »
I surprised their ain't much post about this topic, there was a thread similar to this not to long ago, it had people on here saying that it's a new time we live in and basically people should accept this kind of people in our community,and I was a little shocked to hear it but hey everybody entitled to their opinion. I certainly don't condone killing homosexuals but at the same time I don't condone their lifestyle, I mean God create man and women not man and man or woman and woman for the biblical people. If yuh believe in Science then yuh should know when yuh put ah co** in ah pum pum and break, chances are yuh will create life, that can't happen when yuh in ah man batty. That is just pure slackness. Who want to post against my comments feel free, just know nothing yuh say to me will justify the homosexual lifestyle.

I have ah question, my wife and I was talking recently, when she asked me if my son turn out to be gay would I disown him, I actually had to think about that, I said to her I will take him to Trinidad and beat the gay out of him  jokingly, I never really answered her question, I guess I don't know what I'll do.What would you do?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:02:32 AM by triniairman »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 11:35:36 PM »
I have ah question, my wife and I was talking recently, when she asked me if my son turn out to be gay would I disown him, I actually had to think about that, I said to her I will take him to Trinidad and beat the gay out of him  jokingly, I never really answered her question, I guess I don't know what I'll do.What would you do?

I would love him as my son to the best of my ability... and let the good Lord figure out what to do with him in the afterlife.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:10:32 AM »
Do you all think it's easier for parents to accept (or at least deal with) a gay daughter than a gay son?

"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 06:09:41 AM »
on a side note  ;)
allya saw the show on CNN after that Politician was caught in the bathroom in the airport?
they had a Psychologisy/Psychiatrist who was saying that the reason that all these Republicans are being caught in comprimising situations is as he said he believes that they ARE actually GAY themselves and even though their are married they secretly persue their lifestyle, they critisize others as they want to show that they are politically opposed to that type of behaviour.

look at all the 'scandals' involving gay politicians or evangelicals ..  anecdotally, those who protest the most turn out to be closet gays.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 06:21:52 AM »

In Trinidad and Tobago homosexuality is still against the law !!!!
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 06:42:46 AM »
on a side note  ;)

look at all the 'scandals' involving gay politicians or evangelicals ..  anecdotally, those who protest the most turn out to be closet gays.
DAT is Ed Zachery what that psychologist/psychiatrist was saying on CNN.

So, be careful If though doth protest too much, as YOU TOO (not you two over there) could be a closet Homosexual...not Pecan eeda ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 07:06:57 AM »
ah see somebody thrown ein talk bout against dey laws...

You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour

And dem is dey laws of dey holy book ? doh care which version ya read ?

But it HAPPENS every blasted day and allyuh learn to accept it because ITS PART OF LIFE?  ent?

Homosexuality.....so bloody what ?
Dey interfering with how you read ya bible and how you lead your life ?
Dey interfering wid how you and your god does converse or lack thereof ?

Ah would undestand if one make some sexual advances at ya and ya get blasted vex, but who are you to judge dem and dey lifestyle.....judge your own.

meh 3 cents

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 07:32:18 AM »
on a side note  ;)

So, be careful If though doth protest too much, as YOU TOO (not you two over there) could be a closet Homosexual...not Pecan eeda ;)

25 years of marriage, 22 chirren later (well actually 3 .. is Dutty who spreading all kinda rumour that i have 22 chirren) ..... i remember de day when I chose the straight lifestyle, when I consciously decided that I was going to be straight, yeh, right, uh hmm ..  .  Like dem gay ppl in JA,  I wonder if dey remember when dey chose to be gay? and decided to reject de straight lifestyle when dey know that gays get killed in JA ... yeh right ...

My date was June 9th, 1969 or 69/06/09 :-\

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
on a side note  ;)

Yep...saw all de commess bout it on TV.  He resign now.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 07:34:18 AM »
on a side note  ;)

Yep...saw all de commess bout it on TV.  He resign now.

but he is now trying to withdraw his guilty plea ..  :rotfl:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 07:35:13 AM »

I wouldn't treat my chile any differently than de way I treat any other gay person in my life.  Who you sleep wid is not business ah mine unless is me yuh sleeping wid.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »
on a side note  ;)

25 years of marriage, 22 chirren later (well actually 3 .. is Dutty who spreading all kinda rumour that i have 22 chirren) ..... i remember de day when I chose the straight lifestyle, when I consciously decided that I was going to be straight, yeh, right, uh hmm ..  .  Like dem gay ppl in JA,  I wonder if dey remember when dey chose to be gay? and decided to reject de straight lifestyle when dey know that gays get killed in JA ... yeh right ...

P...ah tink you and me choose de same ting on de same day!!  ;D

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 07:41:18 AM »
on a side note  ;)

P...ah tink you and me choose de same ting on de same day!!  ;D

is dat so?  i was living in Glenco at dat time.  Where were you?  too bad we didden meet den :D

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 07:41:44 AM »
Do you all think it's easier for parents to accept (or at least deal with) a gay daughter than a gay son?

For a open minded parent - I don't think it matters.
dunno :-\

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »

As a straight polygamist I would rather my children were straight.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 07:46:10 AM »

eeda dat is Wim fault, right :devil: :rotfl: :devil: :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 07:46:27 AM »

how about your wives? :angel:

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 07:48:51 AM »

female homosexuality seems to be easier to accept that male homosexuality ..  doh ask me why

but i suspect most straight parents would rather have straight children simply because it is easier to deal with given the climate in todays society

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
leave de bullers alone!

Allyuhfeel ah man go wake up, say ahhhh today is ah good day tuh take ah man?

steups, dem fellas and gyals born jes so.

now ah not saying dat dey eh have some man who does jes do ah slackness eh, but dem bulers....born so!

how come dey have gay sheep, gay camels etc.?

steups.

is ah genetic malfunction.

LEAVE DE BULLERS ALONE...allyuh could learn from de way I does mostly ignore TI

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 07:57:49 AM »

how about your wives? :angel:

All contented whilst I'm still working  ;D ;D

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 08:00:28 AM »
leave de bullers alone!

now ah not saying dat dey eh have some man who does jes do ah slackness eh, but dem bulers....born so!

steups.

Ah was trying to be classy but when it get down to it .

Yuh know the street in Woodbrook call Buller St ? Ah still cyar see mihself living on it ?

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »
leave de bullers alone!

steups.

pssst! chicken-curry is my bitch (MINES!)

"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »
leave de bullers alone!

steups.

pssst! chicken-curry is my bitch (MINES!)

Keeping in line with de topic and tone  why alllyuh JUS DOH PARRY HIM share. YUH GREEDY Mal..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:43 AM »
leave de bullers alone!

steups.

Ah was trying to be classy but when it get down to it .

Yuh know the street in Woodbrook call Buller St ? Ah still cyar see mihself living on it ?

juss de other day i drive pass dat street and wondered why it wassen in St. James?

1]; } ?>