April 18, 2024, 10:25:49 PM

Author Topic: Jones the calypso incarnation of Porterfield's Trinidad legacy  (Read 4115 times)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones the calypso incarnation of Porterfield's Trinidad legacy
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:02:33 PM »
http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2970841.ece

The Independent & The Independent on Sunday
16 September 2007 18:49

Sunderland 2 Reading 1: Jones the calypso incarnation of Porterfield's Trinidad legacy
By Simon Rushworth
Published: 17 September 2007
His goal was, perhaps, the most significant in Sunderland's history but few people remember Ian Porterfield's muted celebration seconds after he inflicted the decisive blow on a Leeds team destined for defeat in the 1973 FA Cup final. An awkward smile, a half-hearted leap and a handful of manly hugs from delighted team-mates marked a defining moment for the quintessential underdog.

Back then, backflips were for dolphins or international gymnasts. Second Division footballers boasted no bling, modest incomes and a modicum of self-restraint – even when scoring the winning goal at Wembley. However, extravagance is an essential trait in the make-up of the modern-day professional and when the Sunderland forward Kenwyne Jones marked his home debut with a splendid goal, the response was a gravity-defying back somersault which brought a passionate crowd to its feet.

On the day Wearside gathered to celebrate Porterfield's life – the former Black Cats midfielder had lost his long battle against cancer earlier in the week – nothing less than victory would have provided a suitable tribute. Jones understood and his fine 29th-minute goal always ensured joy would overshadow a deep sense of loss.

"I knew of Ian Porterfield, not as a Sunderland player, but as my country's national team manager," said the Trinidad & Tobago forward. "It was sad to hear he succumbed to his illness, although I know he had been suffering for a while. I think he will probably be in a better place now."

How Porterfield would have loved the way Jones revelled in his role as the Stadium of Light's new calypso king. During his time in Port of Spain, the Scot laid the foundations which would see Trinidad & Tobago qualify for last summer's World Cup finals for the first time. Jones, 22, is at the forefront of an exciting generation benefiting from Porterfield's legacy.

Exciting and, according to his manager, Roy Keane, reckless. "I swear I didn't see the celebration, but it's very dangerous," said the former Manchester United midfielder. "I had to bring Kenwyne off with a slight knock at the end and maybe that's how he damaged his leg."

After breaking a four-game losing streak, even Keane could not claim to be disappointed, despite the Reading forward Dave Kitson pinching a late consolation for the Royals five minutes from time. The Sunderland midfielder Ross Wallace had doubled the home team's advantage two minutes after half-time and, with Jones running riot, the result never looked in doubt.

"It is a concern that we are in the bottom three," admitted the Reading manager, Steve Coppell. "It is a little bit oppressive. But we have to be big enough to accept the challenge and get ourselves out of it."

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones the calypso incarnation of Porterfield's Trinidad legacy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:15:34 PM »
Exciting and, according to his manager, Roy Keane, reckless. "I swear I didn't see the celebration, but it's very dangerous," said the former Manchester United midfielder. "I had to bring Kenwyne off with a slight knock at the end and maybe that's how he damaged his leg."

I don't think we will be seeing those flips from KJ for a while, managers have been stopping players from doing such flips for their safety, as far as I heard,  even Fergie stopped Nani from doing it.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 08:41:44 PM »
De managers and dem have ah point, about de flip being dangerous. Tuh be honest, ah love de lil drama and thing, de celebration is only fuh a few seconds any way. De damn player buss he ass tuh score he goal, let de man do ah lil celebration nah. So long as de celebration is not disrespecting another human being, ah fuh it. Then again in my time, ah never see ah T&T player do back flips fuh celebration, may be de older heads on de forum, dey might be able tuh educate meh , as far as any old school T&T players dat dit back flips. However, wid dat said, as much as ah want tuh see de back flip from KJ, his safety and fitness is more important tuh him, Sunderland and T&T. So KJ, if yuh boss sit down wid yuh in ah professional manner and tell yuh stop, ah guess is fuh yuh your own good, yuh will have tuh stop de back flip boss  :(. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:03:41 AM »
yuh know wallace get ah card 4 his celebration and mi eh c much comment about it...........ah have ah small jones compilation courtesy skkins and he doesnt celebrate every goal with a back flip.all the same it may be dangerous buh ah think ah man unknowingly jumping on yuh back is morre dangerous
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:30:00 AM »
How Porterfield would have loved the way Jones revelled in his role as the Stadium of Light's new calypso king. During his time in Port of Spain, the Scot laid the foundations which would see Trinidad & Tobago qualify for last summer's World Cup finals for the first time. Jones, 22, is at the forefront of an exciting generation benefiting from Porterfield's legacy.

Now dem is de kinda tings does get me vex.  Ok...yes...Porters dead and is never appropriate to say unkind things about people who pass on.  Matter of fact, people go out of their way to be extra nice, sometimes to the point of fantasy.  But to say that Porters somehow was responsible for laying the foundations for our World Cup qualification is not just blatantly untrue, but insulting.  These people couldn't just leave well enough alone and pay a deserved tribute to the man. They had to go and invent something that he never did amd make it seem as fact. 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:00:31 AM »

Now dem is de kinda tings does get me vex.  Ok...yes...Porters dead and is never appropriate to say unkind things about people who pass on.  Matter of fact, people go out of their way to be extra nice, sometimes to the point of fantasy.  But to say that Porters somehow was responsible for laying the foundations for our World Cup qualification is not just blatantly untrue, but insulting.  These people couldn't just leave well enough alone and pay a deserved tribute to the man. They had to go and invent something that he never did amd make it seem as fact. 

You know I was thinking the same thing.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:04:08 AM »

I was glad you addressed this, as i was going to point out the exact same thing.

As for the flips, it could very well be dangerous, but only if you do a Bodo Zenden re: the 3rd place game of the 1998 World Cup   ;D
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:26:50 AM »
As for the flips, it could very well be dangerous, but only if you do a Bodo Zenden re: the 3rd place game of the 1998 World Cup   ;D

Yuh know....maybe is because Kenwyne is a Trini and we obviously interested in his career etc....but I doh recall any such outcry when Obafemi Martins does do he own.  Matter of fact, when he do he own, the commentators dem always in awe and any "outcry" is normally a positive one.  Ah know Martins Nigerian and me eh know if is de same player, but I remember in WC 2002....dem commentators was salivatin hopin a certain Nigerian player would score jes so dey could see he back flip dem.  Tink he used to do sumting like 6 in a row.

I could see how managers would be nervous about the potential injury to their "asset", but it kinda laughable dat man sayin de backflip might be de reason why a player have a knock when fuh de 80 mis before, he was runnin whole game and man peltin blade de whole time at he foot.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:46:02 AM »
yeah and he doubtful b4 d game start 2
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:28:33 AM »
De managers and dem have ah point, about de flip being dangerous. Tuh be honest, ah love de lil drama and thing, de celebration is only fuh a few seconds any way. De damn player buss he ass tuh score he goal, let de man do ah lil celebration nah. So long as de celebration is not disrespecting another human being, ah fuh it. Then again in my time, ah never see ah T&T player do back flips fuh celebration, may be de older heads on de forum, dey might be able tuh educate meh , as far as any old school T&T players dat dit back flips. However, wid dat said, as much as ah want tuh see de back flip from KJ, his safety and fitness is more important tuh him, Sunderland and T&T. So KJ, if yuh boss sit down wid yuh in ah professional manner and tell yuh stop, ah guess is fuh yuh your own good, yuh will have tuh stop de back flip boss :(. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Marvin Faustin use to do some flip before he make ah long throw......and he never damage he ankle

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
It's a reasonable concern, but because most players do it in the heat of the moment it's more likely than not to come off. Ah feel a man eh go try to do something superhuman that he eh try privately before.

Offline dreintel

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 09:09:43 AM »
anybody got the link for jones goal?

Offline stonez!

• ballers.com.com
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 10:19:45 AM »
if allyuh would recall that back flip is ah jones trademark...remember he uncle Philbert Jones used to do that when he score for T&t.........but the manager say it dangerous,,,,is dem paying d dutty pounds..........

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline stonez!

• ballers.com.com
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »
if allyuh could recall that back flip is a jones tradition,,,,remember he uncle used to do that when score for T&T,,,,,,,,but if the manager say it to dangerous,,,wel wat he go do ,, is dem paying d pounds to say so.....no fight!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
De managers and dem have ah point, about de flip being dangerous. Tuh be honest, ah love de lil drama and thing, de celebration is only fuh a few seconds any way. De damn player buss he ass tuh score he goal, let de man do ah lil celebration nah. So long as de celebration is not disrespecting another human being, ah fuh it. Then again in my time, ah never see ah T&T player do back flips fuh celebration, may be de older heads on de forum, dey might be able tuh educate meh , as far as any old school T&T players dat dit back flips. However, wid dat said, as much as ah want tuh see de back flip from KJ, his safety and fitness is more important tuh him, Sunderland and T&T. So KJ, if yuh boss sit down wid yuh in ah professional manner and tell yuh stop, ah guess is fuh yuh your own good, yuh will have tuh stop de back flip boss :(. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Marvin Faustin use to do some flip before he make ah long throw......and he never damage he ankle
Front flip into a long throw is far different from a handspring into a back flip...there's a higher degree of skill necessary and an accompanying higher probability of injury.

That said, I think the injury thing is overplayed.  There's this American baseball player, Ozzie Smith who's in the HOF now...his trade mark was the same running handspring into a backflip.  Did it every game of his 20-year plus career and never got hurt because of it.  Gopaul luck ent Seepaul luck...but many others have the same celebration and I've never personally heard of anyone hurting themselves.  To the less athletically proficient it may seem dangerous...but i doubt it actually is.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »

Front flip into a long throw is far different from a handspring into a back flip...there's a higher degree of skill necessary and an accompanying higher probability of injury.

That said, I think the injury thing is overplayed.  There's this American baseball player, Ozzie Smith who's in the HOF now...his trade mark was the same running handspring into a backflip.  Did it every game of his 20-year plus career and never got hurt because of it.  Gopaul luck ent Seepaul luck...but many others have the same celebration and I've never personally heard of anyone hurting themselves.  To the less athletically proficient it may seem dangerous...but i doubt it actually is.

Actually, I think it was last season or the season before that Lomana Lua Lua hurt himself by celebrating doing flips and was out for a few weeks..

But that is a rare occurrence..

At the end of the day, you also play football to please the fans, and if thats what pumps them up and gets them behind you i say give them what they want.. Unless of course you're an amateur trying ah ting....

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »

Yuh know....maybe is because Kenwyne is a Trini and we obviously interested in his career etc....but I doh recall any such outcry when Obafemi Martins does do he own.  Matter of fact, when he do he own, the commentators dem always in awe and any "outcry" is normally a positive one.  Ah know Martins Nigerian and me eh know if is de same player, but I remember in WC 2002....dem commentators was salivatin hopin a certain Nigerian player would score jes so dey could see he back flip dem.  Tink he used to do sumting like 6 in a row.

Think was Julius Agahowa...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »
When yuh study men injure theyself reaching for remote, picking up they chile and all other kind ah no brainer things, I ent really see what the fuss is about  ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>