March 28, 2024, 05:49:07 AM

Author Topic: Bill O Riley story  (Read 1014 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Bill O Riley story
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
Radio and TV commentator Bill O'Reilly said Wednesday that reaction to his comments he made about a black-owned Harlem restaurant are part of a smear campagn that has "fabricated a racial controversy where none exists."

O'Reilly told The Associated Press, "If you listened to the full hour, it was a criticism of racism on the part of white Americans who are ignorant of the fact that there is no difference between white and black anymore."

Related Stories
Bill O'Reilly: TV's Angriest ManExcerpt: Who's Looking Out For You?Excerpt: 'Those Who Trespass'An Excerpt From 'Culture Warrior'What Makes an Iconic Image?'Anarchy' and 'Bull!' on 'O'Reilly Factor'Top U.S. stories
Have You Seen This Little Girl?Big Brother's New Toy: Surveillance in Chicago May Be Most Advanced in U.S.More Blacks, Latinos in Prison Than Dorms
"Circumstances may be different in their lives, but we're all Americans," he said. "Anyone who would be offended by that conversation would have to be looking to be offended."

This wasn't the first time a comment by Bill O'Reilly attracted a firestorm.

The talk show host's seemingly flattering comments about a famous black-run restaurant in Harlem illustrate his ignorance of black culture, some black leaders and scholars say.

"I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City," said O'Reilly on the Sept. 19 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show.

"There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who [was] screaming,'M-Fer was, I want more iced tea," he told National Public Radio's Juan Williams. "[It] was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all."

Sylvia's has been serving soul food in Harlem since 1962. Its founders, Sylvia and Herbert Woods, are fixtures in the black community. For decades, the restaurant has been a regular campaign stop for presidential candidates.

The last time a radio talk show host uttered racially charged comments, he was fired.

CBS took shock jock Don Imus off the air after an uproar in the spring when he called the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who had shared that dinner in Harlem with O'Reilly, said at the time of Imus' firing, "We cannot afford a precedent established that the airways can commercialize and mainstream sexism and racism."

Sharpton said on his own radio show today that O'Reilly's remarks were "disturbing and surprising," but not as important as a public discussion on the Jena 6," a reference to the charges against six Louisiana teens who are charged with beating a white student.

"I'm not defending him," said Sharpton, "but I'm not going to OD on O'Reilly."

Fox News Channel's Bill Shine told Newsday the flap is "… nothing more then left-wing outlets stirring up false racism accusations for ratings."

O'Reilly is not necessarily a racist, according to law professor Anita L. Allen, of the University of Pennsylvania, who has studied and written on race relations. Rather, she told ABC News, he is ignorant, the product of a still-segregated country where black and whites seldom socialize.

'We Do Use Table Napkins'
Allen, who is black, said O'Reilly "doesn't realize dinner can be a civilized affair and we do use table napkins."

"It's 50 years later and we're still overcoming the days when blacks couldn't sit at a lunch counter at Woolworth's," said Allen. "More of us live in the white world, but many white people still avoid contact with black people in the ordinary habits of swimming, eating, dancing and listening to music."

Allen said she is always surprised when she invites students to her home and learns that it's the first time they have ever dined with a black person. "We are not all screaming and singing rap music," she said. "It really is sort of pathetic."

O'Reilly Said Media Reaction 'Fabricated Racial Controversy'
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Bill O Riley story
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:11 PM »
Personally speaking Bill ORielly has to be the most ignorant human being I ever heard in my life on this earth.

Zu i haven't read your post, but this man don't have my respect at all....not to say he wants it eh, but I refuse to read or listen to him period.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Bill O Riley story
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:30:58 PM »
i saw a guy at mcdonald's the other day ordering - at first i thought he was robbing the place because he was getting on so aggresive. pointing at things that he wanted "gimme that." "pick that up."  maybe that's what o'reilly was thinking about. say what you want about him, there are ALOT of yanks out there just like him.

1]; } ?>