May 19, 2024, 04:01:25 AM

Author Topic: Inverness ready to cope with Latapy threat.  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Inverness ready to cope with Latapy threat.
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:03:38 AM »
Inverness ready to cope with Latapy threat.
By: North Scotland.
[/size]

Russell Latapy is the man Caley Thistle must stop as they bid for their third consecutive victory. Inverness manager Craig Brewster believes the creative influence of the veteran playmaker has been the key to Falkirk's game.
The 39-year-old midfielder - one of the few playing contemporaries of the Caley Thistle player-manager - has already netted twice for the Bairns in league action this season and will be a threat.
Brewster said: "It has been highlighted often enough that Russell still has what it takes. If he plays, Falkirk play. He is such an influential figure for them and I think John Hughes recognises that.
"We won't assign him a man-marker. If you do that against him the balance of your team goes because he is clever and would drag you all over the place. We just have to be aware of where he is on the field and the closest man will have to pick him up.
"Michael Higdon is a big, traditional centre forward, but whoever we come up against we will just have to deal with them. It is up to us to dictate to the opposition how we play."
Brewster may miss the game after injuring a shoulder against Gretna.
Meanwhile, Darren Dods believes Falkirk's Russell Latapy is a shining example to every player entering their 30s - but has vowed to ensure the Bairns midfielder does not enjoy a CIS Insurance Cup swansong.
The 39-year-old has proven age is no barrier to success in the top flight and his longevity in the game has won plenty of admirers.
Dods, who turned 32 earlier this year, is the elder statesman of Dundee United's dressing-room but the fitness fanatic defender still has plenty of years ahead of him.
He will line up against Latapy in Tuesday night's third-round tie and will be doing everything he can to deny him a crack at some silverware.
Dods said: "Russell is the man who makes Falkirk tick and he's the one in midfield you've got to get to grips with because, if you don't, he's capable of doing a lot of damage.
"He's getting on a bit now but he just keeps coming up with the goods.
"When he dropped back into the First Division a few years ago folk said that would be it for him but he's proved them wrong and all credit to him.
"He's a good example to us older guys because if you have the desire to play on well into your 30s and can stay fit then there's nothing to stop you.
"Falkirk are a great passing side and are excellent at home.
"We've beaten them at Tannadice already this season but it was a really tight game so I don't expect this one to be any different."
He added: "I played in the League Cup final back in 1999 when I was with St Johnstone.
"That was eight years ago so I've waited a long time for it to come around again and I hope this season will be it.
"But we're not looking any further ahead than the Falkirk game because it's going to be really tough.
"Cup runs are great for the confidence and if you can get through a few rounds the place starts buzzing."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Inverness ready to cope with Latapy threat.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:18:30 PM »
"We won't assign him a man-marker. If you do that against him the balance of your team goes because he is clever and would drag you all over the place. We just have to be aware of where he is on the field and the closest man will have to pick him up.

Now thats the Latas I know.....  :devil:
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Inverness ready to cope with Latapy threat.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:27:14 PM »
This game took place last weekend...Caley beat Falkirk 4-2

1]; } ?>