April 26, 2024, 12:42:52 AM

Author Topic: Marvin’s mental rehab has him making bigger saves.  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Marvin’s mental rehab has him making bigger saves.
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Marvin’s mental rehab has him making bigger saves.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago Senior Team goalkeeper Marvin Phillip is attributing a new environment and proper advice for his change in attitude towards becoming a constantly improving player both at the professional and international level.
Phillip was rock solid in goal for T&T in Wednesday’s 0-0 draw with El Salvador, one particular save being a reflex push over bar from point blank range late in the second half which ensured T&T came away with something from the encounter.
Phillip has had disciplinary issues in the past, most notably being a ban for violent and improper conduct and abusive language towards a referee in a Pro League game on October 3, 2004. The 23-year-old was banned for 20 months but the sideline was subsequently reduced after the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation reviewed the facts and circumstances of the occurrence.
Phillip, T&T’s starting goalie at the FIFA Under 17 World Championship in 2001 had before that switched from striker to goalkeeper after being asked to be a last minute replacement in goal for Ecclesville FC. Now he’s one of T&T’s goal guards at the senior international level. He’s also an ex player with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, Starworld Strikers, Defence Force and North East Stars.
But he hasn’t been a regular starter though for the senior team, being number two to Jan Michael Williams, a player who was second to him at the youth level. But Phillip, formerly of Tabaquite Composite, Presentation College, San Fernando and Princes Town Senior Comprehensive is determined to keep his place on the national team and that could present healthy competition for the position in goal for the senior team.
He feels that the environment at new club W Connection has played a part towards his mental growth. And of course he is thankful to TTFF and Senior Team goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice for his assistance.
“Being out for a little while, being second to Jan Michael, I was pretty pleased with this performance and if I continue this way… I think there will be better things to come. Overall we worked hard towards it on Wednesday. Even in the sessions in Trinidad, the coach was always hard on our backs (saying) we need to work harder and play at a high intensity.
“Basically the environment I am in now... they are helping me towards (that change), telling me I have a bright future ahead of me and I need to cool down my temperament. About a year ago I was also in some temperamental classes which helped me. The W Connection environment is good and I’m very comfortable there and that has me (towards) behaving this way now.”
And when things get tough again, Phillip is prepared for it. “That’s why I was in the classes so I know how to deal with the situations now,” Phillips said.
“My main ambition is to stay on the national team and get a contract outside. Once I keep on working hard… nothing is impossible. I have been working with Michael Maurice since Under 17 days and the coaching from him has been very good and I want to continue working with him to improve my technique,” Phillip ended.
W Connection president David John Williams said his club was pleased with Phillip’s progress. “We have addressed his situation. He has a future in the game and he came into a no-nonsense environment that cares about the players. He sees himself in a more responsible manner now after the win in the FCB Cup and that has helped him to make a positive turn. If he’s not picked… he is told why and is beginning to understand things better now. He knows clearly too that the coach (Stuart Charles Fevrier) is a no-nonsense coach. We welcomed him into an environment that is strict but also cares about the player,” Williams noted.

Goalie Marvin Phillip interview after draw with El Salvador, click here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:12:14 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin’s mental rehab has him making bigger saves.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
Buh wha kinda commesse I seeing here....how de TTFF could step in and reduce a sanction handed down by the Pro League??  Can you imagine the USSF stepping in and telling MLS that Ricardo Clark ban is too much?

Only in Trinidad TTFF...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:10:52 PM »
D TTFF is d best y all yuh shock
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:33:07 PM »
Buh wha kinda commesse I seeing here....how de TTFF could step in and reduce a sanction handed down by the Pro League??  Can you imagine the USSF stepping in and telling MLS that Ricardo Clark ban is too much?

Only in Trinidad TTFF...
dat is why so many people does be starting threads about our very good friend Jackula......de shit NEVER stops.......incredible really
and believe you me, when his value drops, or he demands fair treatment, Jackula will drop him just like MANY who have gorn before him.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:38:04 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »

Only in Trinidad TTFF...
dat is why so many people does be starting threads about our very good friend Jackula......de shit NEVER stops.......incredible really
and believe you me, when his value drops, or he demands fair treatment, Jackula will drop him just like MANY who have gorn before him.

Somebody who knows about this should enlighten us all on the protocol of such matters.........maybe the ttff was well within their jurisdiction and possibly acting as an appellate body in overseeing this matter.  The initial punishment handed down to him I found was rather excessive in the first place and, word is, that the referee involved wasn't exactly the most innocent person in the incident.  Considering his age at the time and his great potential, I think the ttff's decision to intercede was a fair one and his steps towards anger management, whether self-initiated or not, shows maturity on his part and a step in the right direction and I am very happy for the young boy.  I watched him play a couple of games while I was home and I was very impressed with his play.  Somebody on the forum had pointed out to me an issue with his consistency and I can leave room for that, but the boy can really save!  Reminds me alot of Ross Russell. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:21:35 PM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 11:21:46 PM »

Only in Trinidad TTFF...

Doh get me wrong eh...if de sanction was too much then it was too much...but there's something not too right about that situation.  Maybe TTFF and the PFL have some special agreement, but fuhget MLS...look at England for a second.  Can you imagine Chelsea suspending Drogba, and the English Football Association stepping in and telling Chelsea what to do?  Is that not overstepping their bounds?  Is that not the job of the Premier League to deal with their clubs?  Let's say it's the EPL who suspend Ronaldo for three games at the start of the season.  Can you fathom, in your wildest dreams the FA telling the Premier League that "nah dred, that too stiff...we cutting it to one".  That is  how ludicrous this is.  Yet another analogy...USA Basketbally telling de NBA they cyah suspend ah man, or they reducing he suspension, lol.  That's the nebulous jokey state of affairs that is football in Trinidad and Tobago.  Well yes boy...if ah didn't know before ah know now.

FPATT wasting they time talking tuh de Pro League yes...dem need to go straight tuh de head jefe and dem and cut out de middle man.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 12:44:52 AM »

Only in Trinidad TTFF...
   Somebody who knows about this should enlighten us all on the protocol of such matters.........maybe the ttff was well within their jurisdiction and possibly acting as an appellate body in overseeing this matter.  The initial punishment handed down to him I found was rather excessive in the first place and, word is, that the referee involved wasn't exactly the most innocent person in the incident.  Considering his age at the time and his great potential, I think the ttff's decision to intercede was a fair one and his steps towards anger management, whether self-initiated or not, shows maturity on his part and a step in the right direction and I am very happy for the young boy.  I watched him play a couple of games while I was home and I was very impressed with his play.  Somebody on the forum had pointed out to me an issue with his consistency and I can leave room for that, but the boy can really save!  Reminds me alot of Ross Russell. 
yeah, I think I get what ya selling eh
Maybe there is an appeal process that he decided to persue but it was not put forward as such in the article. If that is the case and the appeal committee deicided that his ban was too harsh, then I would have to take back my dis of meh good boi Jackula. ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »

Maybe there is an appeal process that he decided to persue but it was not put forward as such in the article. If that is the case and the appeal committee deicided that his ban was too harsh, then I would have to take back my dis of meh good boi Jackula. ;)

Whole point though is that disciplinary matters involving the Pro League shouldn't be subject to review by the TTFF.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 05:12:28 PM »
Whole point though is that disciplinary matters involving the Pro League shouldn't be subject to review by the TTFF.
OK, I think I get your point....let me see here
if there is an appel committee it should be handled by the Pro league and NOT the TTFF...
is that what ya saying?
If so, I agree that the TTFF may be over stepping their authority.
Unless the Pro League and TTFF had a prior arrangement...I ent kno at all, just thinking out loud here.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 05:16:08 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 06:02:32 PM »
OK, I think I get your point....let me see here
if there is an appel committee it should be handled by the Pro league and NOT the TTFF...
is that what ya saying?
If so, I agree that the TTFF may be over stepping their authority.
Unless the Pro League and TTFF had a prior arrangement...I ent kno at all, just thinking out loud here.

That is precisely what I'm saying...that any appeals are a matter for the Pro League to decide, they are a separate entity unto themselves.  I don't think it's a case of the TTFF overstepping their bounds...I'm sure there is some sort of linear relationship between them and the Pro League, just commenting that that is highly unusual.  Not often you find the country's governing body for the sport being involved in the affairs of their professional leagues.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
While you guys may have a point, at least in the end a good player gets another chance to continue his career, so lets look at the bright side of things.

This time the TTFF used their authority in a good way and I just hope Marvin learn from his mistakes, because he may not get another chance like this. His attitude was dutty once....

The TTFF is the police, court and judge of all football in T&T.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »
i eh gettin into whether TTFF shudda ease de ban or even have de jurisdiction to do it..However I jus real glad for Marvin that he has recognized that his attitude needed work and his temper. Since school he had a problem with that an i real glad for mih boy that he making strides in a positive direction
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>