April 19, 2024, 03:52:17 PM

Author Topic: John-Williams: Football in T&T needs radical changes.  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
John-Williams: Football in T&T needs radical changes.
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »
John-Williams: Football in T&T needs radical changes.
By: Randy Bando (ttproleague).
[/size]

W Connection President David John-Williams has expressed heavy criticism with the way Trinidad and Tobago football has evolved over the recent years.
Speaking at the TT Pro League symposium “Towards a National Philosophy for football in Trinidad and Tobago” on Sunday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, John-Williams said that fundamental changes has to be made.
“Radical changes has to happen in Trinidad and Tobago football from a competitive nature, a technical nature, a social standpoint and we have to understand that although football has become a business, never forget the importance of winning trophies,” said the W Connection owner.
John-Williams who covered the topic “The role of football in Trinidad and Tobago” was quick to point out that hierarchy members of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation wasn’t present at the symposium geared at the betterment of local football.
He explained “When we see no hierarchy members of the federation here, it leaves a lot to be desired. I know that I’m going to be knocked for this but I have noting against the federation.”
Present members of the TTFF were Technical Director Lincoln Phillips and U-17 Head Coach Anton Corneal who both gave presentations, also present was national Senior Team Coach Wim Rijsbergen.
John-Williams explained that we are entering an era where sporting success would be measured by financial profits and to do this, he said that it is very important in T&T to continually improve competitions, to increase the interest and to provide accessibility of those competitions.
W Connection have been the most successful club thus far in Trinidad and Tobago professional football history but John-Williams says that T&T can learn a lot from the foreign Leagues on their proper structuring of competitions.
He made arguments that T&T doesn’t even have a proper published football program alerting the dates and venues of various Leagues.
“It’s not about the TT Pro League alone,” he said. “It’s not about the Super League. We have seen the Pro League taking a step in the right direction inviting Super League teams in the Toyota Classic competition but that alone is not going to help.”
He went on to demonstrate the incompetence of the TTFF and the FA Trophy title which they run.
He said, “All around the world FA competitions are for all teams. Here in T&T we have just ten teams in our professional league (TT Pro League), the top teams in the country but we are told that two teams cannot make it.”
“We are looking at Stokley Vale FC of the Zonal League making it into an FA ahead of Pro League clubs Police FC and North East Stars. Something definitely has to be wrong, so the whole football and competitiveness has to change if we want our football to go anywhere.”
Touching on the social aspect John-Williams we lacked support for our so-called most loved game both financially and socially.
“Socially we identify with the national game but not the club football, but people must understand that there is no national football without club football. We have a number of national companies but our game is not supported. We are a society that always tends to jump on board only when we are close to achieving something.”
He also made the statement that maybe there is too much controversy in T&T football and that’s why co-operate T&T is not supporting.
“Even in our finest hour we have not been able to improve our football. We have not benefited from our glory days (2006 World Cup, 2007 U-17 World Championship).”
Lastly, John Williams slapped the technical aspect of the game saying, “There is no rocket science in football.”
“Eight years from now our U-15s would be senior team players, eight years from now our U-15s would be U-23 players and we need proper development programs in place.”
He said that he is certain that our U-15s whom recently completed the CFU tournament haven’t had one training session since the tournament prompting a jolted response by national Senior Team Coach Rijsbergen who said, “It can only be done with a budget.”
John-Williams concluded that T&T was fortunate enough to be part of World Cup 2006 in Germany but failed considerably on building on that success.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:57:31 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: John-Williams: Football in T&T needs radical changes.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
Well I am shocked, David John Williams have de balls to go up against the all mighty TTFF, WOW..... second time this year, he really shocked me as I know he was under they jacket once...

Glad for him and I hope everyone support him on this... sooner or later everyone will turn against the fruitless TTFF.

They are killing our football and sucking it dry to so when Jack retire (a wish) he will leave the federation bankrupt and T&T football in a deeper hole.

Now expect Wim and Corneal to not pick any W Connection players. First Jabloteh now W Connection the 2 best teams in T&T.

Once you voice your opinion you are doom..... I tell yuh, are we a democratic country or what. And this happening in our government parties too. Dictatorship !!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:26:35 AM »
The only man Jack Warner gets nervous for is Andrew Jennings other than that he not budging...

But good one by Mr. Williams.

Respect....

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:43:11 AM »
Everyone makes grand statements about T&T football need to change, Their are rarely any ideas or efforts in terms of plan on how what type of change, how to change and how it will be funded.  I am sure that eveyone interested individual knows that we need change ...

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:00:29 AM »
Everyone makes grand statements about T&T football need to change, Their are rarely any ideas or efforts in terms of plan on how what type of change, how to change and how it will be funded.  I am sure that eveyone interested individual knows that we need change ...

Excellent post.
But doh doubt John Williams ability if he is given a chance.
John Williams (along with his brothers) took his father's little construction company and made it into a multimillion corporation inTT.
He started off by supplying labor to the Japs when Iscott was building back in '78 and I remember the first tractor he bought (a John Deere farmol) how proud he was and this was only to pull tools around, shit he used to drive it from Point Lisas to San Fernando !!
This man is somebody to be reckoned with and I hope he get fed up enough to make a move on TTFF
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:02:42 AM »
David John Williams taking sense here, but I still think Shaka Hislop would do better as head of the TTFF with Lincoln Phillips on his side and maybe Williams assisting in some way, Williams attitude has change a a lot, it seems he getting more serious about football now and finally getting a voice against the TTFF.

:applause:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:06:13 AM by Flex »

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »
WOW....THAT RIGHT JOHN....YOU TELL THEM...CAUSE IT SEEM THEY ARE ALL DUMB f**k? T&T FOOTBALL LEFT BEHIND............

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »
The most fundamental change in the TT football has to be current constitution. The clubs have  to be able to vote. As it is right now, only the zone association can vote. There are six zones, North, East, Eastern counties, Central, South andTobago.  Only the heads of these association can vote.  Tell me, how in the world can there be any fundamental change in the TTFF if on these six mooks giving the votes for Camps and Jack.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:25 PM »
The most fundamental change in the TT football has to be current constitution. The clubs have  to be able to vote. As it is right now, only the zone association can vote. There are six zones, North, East, Eastern counties, Central, South andTobago.  Only the heads of these association can vote.  Tell me, how in the world can there be any fundamental change in the TTFF if on these six mooks giving the votes for Camps and Jack.

well change the zonal heads they must have elections also
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>