April 23, 2024, 12:19:10 AM

Author Topic: Govt kicks $3.75m in T&T Pro League.  (Read 10517 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Govt kicks $3.75m in T&T Pro League.
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:03:35 PM »
Govt kicks $3.75m in T&T Pro League.
By: Nigel Simon (Guardian).
[/size]

The T&T Pro League through its chief executive officer Dexter Skeene, was presented with a cheque for $3.75 million to cover its prize distribution for the 2007 season as well as its administrative cost and day to day operations by Roger Boynes, the Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, yesterday. The presentation was made at the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, head office Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain.
In handing over the cheque, Boynes stated that the monetary support would contribute significantly to establishing the league on sound financial footing for the future and it is expected that absolute support for the Pro League by the Government will continue to decrease as the league becomes more self-sustaining and viable.
The $3.75 million to the T&T Pro League by Government brings its total financial support to the local professional league from 2003 to 2007, to $11.208 million. Boynes then heaped praises on Skeene and his organisation and stated, “T&T Pro League continues to operate a successful professional football league with support from the Government, as well as corporate sponsors.”
“The Pro League plays a vital role in the employment of over 2,500 persons in varying capacities, with high risk youth among them while the league has also provided socio-economic benefits to the communities in which the teams operate by encouraging young people to engage in social activities,” he added.
“In keeping with the plans of the Government Boynes said the T&T Pro League is an endorsement of the their vision for T&T in its efforts to accelerate the sports tourism sector by inviting international teams to visit this country and welcoming non-T&T nationals as players within the league.
With regards to the development of youth the minister lauded the T&T Pro League who he said is a major promoter of youth competitions, since each of the clubs must field three youth teams in the Under-15, Under-17 and Under-13 age groups.
He said that based on the youth league’s organised by the Pro League it was no surprise that the national Under-17 team that played at the Fifa Under-17 World Cup in Korea, in August comprised players from these participating clubs.
“The youth competitions serve as a foundation for the development of football and the pursuit of excellence.”
The Minister of Sport also noted the important role of the local professional league to the national football team.
“It was very evident during the recent Concacaf Gold Cup in the USA as the national team for that competition comprised of players exclusively from the T&T Pro League, which augurs well for the league’s reputation. In closing Boynes applauded the league for understanding its importance to T&T and emphasised that Government will continue to give support.
A gleeful Skeene noted that yesterday was a very important day for football and particularly the youth.
Skeene, a former national player himself firstly thanked God, and then the Government for its support for the last four years and for understanding its vision.
“Because of the T&T Pro League many youths now have the opportunity to earn a living through football continuously at a professional level which will help T&T in the future as it seeks to continuously qualify for World Cups, both at junior and senior levels,” he said.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:25:39 AM by Flex »

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Govt. gives PFL money
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »
Congrats to the people of T&T. This is a fantastic day for sport as it is long overdue. Hope allyuh see Boynes and company has been contributing to Footbal sometime now. That lying mudda..... Jack saying how the government eh lift a finger to help Football. Let the truth continuously be told. And all dem bad mouth who does be talking down Boynes. Wha allyuh have tuh say now?
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
Congrats to the people of T&T. This is a fantastic day for sport as it is long overdue. Hope allyuh see Boynes and company has been contributing to Footbal sometime now. That lying mudda..... Jack saying how the government eh lift a finger to help Football. Let the truth continuously be told. And all dem bad mouth who does be talking down Boynes. Wha allyuh have tuh say now?
Steups........ This just encouraging the giant socially welfare programme that is the pro-league to continue on its path of never ending social dependency. I could only hope that the Ministry of Sport write that cheque giving out taxpayers money easy so, with a big long contract attached demanding to see people in the stands. But of course not. I mean, true the league appears to be better organized than what we have had before, but, please......it is a colossal failure by any stretch of the imagination. What is the point of feeding it more taxpayers dollars when it seems neither inclined nor motivated to improve? Shit man, de damn league cannot even make its own coaches attend forums on the improvement of the local game.

What have we accomplished due to the pro-league that we have not done in years prior without the league?

Boynes head still in he ass. Which communities he talking about that the pro-league encouraging young people to engage in social activities? Steups... That league is so far removed from community affiliation and support they might as well be playing Jai-lai fuss the "communities" disinterested.

The "pro-league" serves the "pro-league's" own private interests and certainly does not deserve public funds.

Only in TnT.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:09:52 PM »
So conveniently presented around election time. But better late than never and beggars will never be refusers. It would be wonderful if the PFl were to stand on its own feet instead of depending on the tax-payers dole to stay afloat. But what else is there for them to do. The corporations not eager to splash money and there is  great apathy to club football in TT today. To many invisible fans.  I can boast that when Coops and I played for "a bun and a sweet drink" we use to have much more people at most games that this current PFL. Don't get me wrong it is a well organized league. Dexter is doing a good job.
    I am still trying to figure why Jabloteh and AIA must play in Malabar when they should be playing either in Aranguez or by Fernandes, which is closer to their homebase  We in this forum will go to the end of the earth to support the PFL. But the ordinary football fan  is not going to go thru the hassle to go Arima to see his neighboorhood team play. Long ago, they would have, not today.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:52:41 PM »
D gov't give money to d ProLeague every yr and it is reduced as the aim is for them to b independent. D budget just pass and the release now avialable. Only a set a critics who eh have a clue what goin on
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:53:54 PM »
These administrators need to be more enterprising.  There is money in Trinidad, but they need to be more creative in their marketing efforts.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »
Nothing wrong with receiving gov't $$ if they demonstrate it can be used to employ people or even to expand revenues to further add taxes to gov't coffers. Men apprehensive because it does usually get tief, but its not the TTFF they giving money to. The  pro-league is the closest thing we have in T&T to a functioning football administration, who knows maybe part of the money may be going toward consolidating a fan base or income in poorer areas.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

TrinInfinite

Re: Govt kicks $3.75m in T&T Pro League.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 07:22:22 AM »
iz election time.... where was boynes b4? ??? all of a sudden instant injection into football lol :rotfl: its good the pfl getting the money, very happy 4 dem, but the timing is questionable, another political tatic for the election...

God is de BOSS....

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 07:26:09 AM »
iz election time.... where was boynes b4? ??? all of a sudden instant injection into football lol :rotfl: its good the pfl getting the money, very happy 4 dem, but the timing is questionable, another political tatic for the election...

God is de BOSS....
Explain this part
The $3.75 million to the T&T Pro League by Government brings its total financial support to the local professional league from 2003 to 2007, to $11.208 million.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 07:27:59 AM »

God is de BOSS....

Government really should not be involved in schemes such as Professional sport, that have a capacity to fund themselves. Unless they stipulated the funds to be spent on the youth development part of their programs.
It would be nice to see $$$ being spent on Primary school football (for example).
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 07:31:01 AM »
Realistically the pro league should get money from each club and each club should get money from the foreign sale of their players.

The league will need to define the financial model.

It does not seem that we can get money from gate receipts or advertizing so it will be down to corperate sponsorship and Govt funding to fill the gap.

But the big push really needs to be development of players for sale to foreign.

This was why every effort should have been made to help the Jabloteh players get the work permit.

It is Good that the Govt put some money because this is the same youths that does turn bandit when they have nothing to do. To keep them busy is the main objective

The pro League will allow them to keep their dreams alive.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 07:48:37 AM »
Steups........ This just encouraging the giant socially welfare programme that is the pro-league to continue on its path of never ending social dependency. I could only hope that the Ministry of Sport write that cheque giving out taxpayers money easy so, with a big long contract attached demanding to see people in the stands. But of course not. I mean, true the league appears to be better organized than what we have had before, but, please......it is a colossal failure by any stretch of the imagination. What is the point of feeding it more taxpayers dollars when it seems neither inclined nor motivated to improve? Shit man, de damn league cannot even make its own coaches attend forums on the improvement of the local game.

What have we accomplished due to the pro-league that we have not done in years prior without the league?

Boynes head still in he ass. Which communities he talking about that the pro-league encouraging young people to engage in social activities? Steups... That league is so far removed from community affiliation and support they might as well be playing Jai-lai fuss the "communities" disinterested.

The "pro-league" serves the "pro-league's" own private interests and certainly does not deserve public funds.

Only in TnT.
“The Pro League plays a vital role in the employment of over 2,500 persons in varying capacities, with high risk youth among them while the league has also provided socio-economic benefits to the communities in which the teams operate by encouraging young people to engage in social activities,” he added.
With regards to the development of youth the minister lauded the T&T Pro League who he said is a major promoter of youth competitions, since each of the clubs must field three youth teams in the Under-15, Under-17 and Under-13 age groups.
He said that based on the youth league’s organised by the Pro League it was no surprise that the national Under-17 team that played at the Fifa Under-17 World Cup in Korea, in August comprised players from these participating clubs.

God is de BOSS....
Explain this part
The $3.75 million to the T&T Pro League by Government brings its total financial support to the local professional league from 2003 to 2007, to $11.208 million.

plus
A gleeful Skeene noted that yesterday was a very important day for football and particularly the youth.
Skeene, a former national player himself firstly thanked God, and then the Government for its support for the last four years and for understanding its vision

So conveniently presented around election time. ...true, but when would b the right time.....But better late than never and beggars will never be refusers. It would be wonderful if the PFl were to stand on its own feet instead of depending on the tax-payers dole to stay afloat...How can they when few ppl attend, how can they attract sponsers when ppl rarely go..stand how?.. But what else is there for them to do. The corporations not eager to splash money...why ?.. and there is great apathy to club football in TT today....why ?... To many invisible fans. I can boast that when Coops and I played for "a bun and a sweet drink" we use to have much more people at most games that this current PFL....why?..I propose that todays Trinis' like the rest of the world, seek and demand other forms of entertainment, mostly high tech or participation, not observational, added to this the security issues within the country at late hours, and transporting and security of family etc..etc... Don't get me wrong it is a well organized league. Dexter is doing a good job....So why not encourage and promote...an who in a better position to promote if not the ppl (i.e. govenment).or yuh saying if things move back to the community level, and dey give the players ah "Louie cheese and mauby", ppl go start going to games again.....jus teasin yuh  :D
 I am still trying to figure why Jabloteh and AIA must play in Malabar when they should be playing either in Aranguez or by Fernandes, which is closer to their homebase We in this forum will go to the end of the earth to support the PFL. But the ordinary football fan is not going to go thru the hassle to go Arima to see his neighboorhood team play. Long ago, they would have, not today.....I agree, buh why they gone that route ?

add: Observer, what does primary school football need, that it doesn't get...well probably besides better coaching, evn though that can be said of all levels..money or Government may not be able to help there.. I understand that a primary school league does exist and functions adequately, but from what i'm told parents can't or don't showup to see their kids play...not always the parents fault...work etc...but the time involved..it is still done by few dedicated ppl, but there is some govt spnhip...buh ah only going on hearsay...could anyone here substantiate or refute ?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:57:28 AM by maxg »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
Well my understanding is that Primary school football does not really operate and was a thing of the past. Maybe I am mis-informed. As for parents showing up. If it operated like in my time games would be during working hours. No parents showed up then either , I just thought it was because I was shit hahahahah
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 08:13:58 AM »
Waay.....Wha people not gettin boy......
THE PRO-LEAGUE LIKE ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL SPORT IS A BUSINESS!!!

FOR ANY BUSINESS TO SURVIVE IT MUST HAVE CUSTOMERS!!!!

IN SPORT THE CUSTOMERS FIRST AND FOREMOST ARE THE SPECTATORS!!!

THE PRO-LEAGUE HAS NO SPECTATORS!!

THE PRO-LEAGUE DOES NOT MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO ATTRACT CUSTOMERS!!! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PRORITY FOR THIS. THIS SHOULD BE THE DRIVING FOCUS OF THE PRO-LEAGUE. AT THIS POINT, THIS SHOULD BE EVEN BEFORE YOUTH EVELOPMENT!!! THE MANAGEMENT OF THE PRO-LEAGUE IS MISGUIDED. THEY ARE RETARDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE LOCAL GAME.

THE PROLEAGUE WILL GO NOWHERE WITHOUT COMMUNITY SUPPORT/SPECTATORS/VIEWERS!!!

THEY WILL FOREVER BE WELFARE DEPENDENT WITHOUT FOCUS ON THE FANS!!!

That is, unless the focus is to sell players overseas. Then I can understand what they are doing.

Two islands are better than one.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 09:02:29 AM »
Well my understanding is that Primary school football does not really operate and was a thing of the past. Maybe I am mis-informed. As for parents showing up. If it operated like in my time games would be during working hours. No parents showed up then either , I just thought it was because I was shit hahahahah
http://www.socawarriors.net/TTFF%20Press%20News..htm

I thought this was an on going programme

Government $560,000 for football programme.

By Nigel Simon.
11-Sept-2003
- The Stern John Football Skills Award Programme will benefit from a $560,000 injection from the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs which will be distributed evenly over a four-year period at $140,000.
This was announced by Roger Boynes, Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs, at the launch of the programme at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, yesterday.
It is being run in conjunction with the Ministry of Education and the Stern John Organising Committee, headed by chairman Mary Siu Butt.
Boynes noted the main reason for supporting the programme was because it dealt directly with development of young people at the primary school level, which was also part of the local football federation and his Ministry’s programme to develop football.
He said: “A structured approach from the ground level of primary schools football is so badly lacking in the country and this programme will be of maximum benefit to all parts of the country.”
The programme is geared towards school children, both boys and girls between the ages of 9-11, and will involve 80 primary schools, 10 each from the eight educational districts in Trinidad and Tobago.
Phase one of the course, which runs from September 19-26, will deal specifically with the training of schools teachers by the 13 qualified coaches from the Defence Force and Petrotrin combined.
The coaches are former national footballers Clayton Morris, Dexter Lee, Hudson Charles, Kerry Jameson, Dexter Francis, Dexter Skeene, Philbert Jones and Brian Williams.
Other coaches involved are James Balfour, former national Under-17 coach Dion la Foucade, Irwin Thomas, Kendal Crawford and Richard Fraser.
The second part of the programme deals with the actual application of coaching skills acquired by the teachers to the training of the young players.
This will be followed by a support coaching guidance for schools by qualified coaches; a regional skills tournament April 26-May 9, 2004, while the regional quarter-finals, semis and national play-offs are scheduled for May 10.
During the programme, the young footballers will undergo theory and pratical training, which includes, passing, dribbling, shooting, heading and juggling.
In her address, chairman of the Organising Committee Mary Siu Butt said the idea was conceived two years ago as a result of Stern’s desire to make a contribution towards the youths and to enhance the development of football at youth level in a structured and systematic manner.
She added: “It will provide the youths with the avenue and opportunity to usher in a new perspective of the game, to focus on the development of basic skills and technique over a concentrated period of time.
“We are happy that the programme also will be in alignment with the vision and objectives of the local football federation and will provide it with sound recruits for the national Under-14 teams.”
Senator Hazel Manning, Minister of Education, hoped the programme would be allowed to expand to all 488 primary schools in the country in the future.
She added: “The Ministry appreciates the effort of Stern John and the Organising Committee who have embarked on this project and designed a package to be implemented.”
Other members of the Organising Committee are Anthony Creed, Muhammed Isa, Theophilus Trimm, Neville Chance, Joycelyn Williams, John Poon King, Victor Hunte and Judy Mc Sween.

what ah not getting is because a Pro-football League might be a viable business entity in England, does not mean it is a viable Business entity in Canada, USA or T&T..
analogy time
3 square meals ah day in NA...an 3 square meals ah day in, say the Congo, may not consist of the same ingredients or even be close in calories...but it serves the diffrent  individuals through the day..and in may cases the individual with the least to eat, even works harder, physically and mentally to acquire said meal...

"THE PRO-LEAGUE DOES NOT MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO ATTRACT CUSTOMERS!!! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PRORITY FOR THIS. THIS SHOULD BE THE DRIVING FOCUS OF THE PRO-LEAGUE. AT THIS POINT, THIS SHOULD BE EVEN BEFORE YOUTH EVELOPMENT!!! THE MANAGEMENT OF THE PRO-LEAGUE IS MISGUIDED. THEY ARE RETARDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE LOCAL GAME."

Ah don't see how you could be making this statement..Cause, I was under the impression, they have been making efforts, I could be wrong...
Let's say the Pro-league folds, clubs disband, youths discarded..cause they have no spectators...are you saying it would better serve development of the local game ? And more ppl would come out to games ?...Careful wha yuh ask for ?
I would like to elaborate some more, buh ah at wuk

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 09:52:07 AM »
in Trinidad the Govt will have to give money.

The private sector is not strong enough.

The Govt is a major source of the economy in other parts of the world private sector are very independant in Trinidad everything is connected in some way to the Govt.

The Govt will need to sponsor sport in general if Sport is to survive in trinidad.

there is no Home Depot or NBC to sponsor the Olympic programs so the Govt has to dedicate funding to sports if they want it to succeed.

Our Olympic program is a shame the Govt should be putting millions into it
to improve national pride
reduce crime
and better the entire nation.

Sports has to be funded heavily in Trinidad by the Govt.

The benefits are endless!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 09:59:17 AM »
D gov't give money to d ProLeague every yr and it is reduced as the aim is for them to b independent. D budget just pass and the release now avialable. Only a set a critics who eh have a clue what goin on

I hear what yo sayin' but I ent tink that weaning the pro-league money would be a successful trategy.  It kinda remind me of the situation of the US occupatoin of Iraq, how to deal with funds and another organization you want to succeed, and become self sufficient, but not cripple.  I ent see a really good suggestion yet..and I ent have one myself...keep dem comn' though, hopefully we goh find one.
A man say security is the reason men ent leaving dey home late in the evening to go watch football.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »

I hear what yo sayin' but I ent tink that weaning the pro-league money would be a successful trategy.  It kinda remind me of the situation of the US occupatoin of Iraq, how to deal with funds and another organization you want to succeed, and become self sufficient, but not cripple.  I ent see a really good suggestion yet..and I ent have one myself...keep dem comn' though, hopefully we goh find one.
A man say security is the reason men ent leaving dey home late in the evening to go watch football.

I mentioned security, but please don't take it out of context, other than grasping at straws trying to determine a reason.....I am in no position to even have an idea why ppl not going to watch Pro league football..
such as if a person has a suggestion, to presume that is the end all...
Yet I do believe, and have stated this for many years, that our football, as well as other recreational endeavours, is affected by a negative change in our society , and 'I' feel that is where we could first look to find our solutions...but that is'nt a suggestion of solution or even a totally knowlegable or fact based observation( been away too long)...just a personal feeling, and yuh shouldn't  base running a country or solving certain problems on such things...doh some ppl who have some knowledge,the Power and financial means might give the impression that is their modus operandi (sp).. :(

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
Nice replies guys but what i would like to say is any money for Football in T&T is better than no money regardless of where it comes from and it was given,JW always boast about he is the only one that supports our Football financially and we all know that's not true,our Football needs money if it is to improve,people will come out to see Football if the Football is good,i've always said there would be pros and cons to those stadiums being built,these are sites that should have been modernised PSA,Arima Velodrome,Mahaica Oval,Skinner Park and the Queens Park Oval,don't matter what changes the modern game have made there are certain things we have to be careful off,things that are implemented in those foreign leagues will not work at home because the cost to see a game over there can't be implemented here.

The Pro League seems to be the future of T&T Football and i figure they are trying to be as independent as possible from JW,they are trying to do as much as possible without being hurt by him/TTFF,government is the next best bet so why not accept their offers,government has always been involved they built four stadiums,the things we need in Football today can't happen over night,it's a matter of time and patience which some of us don't.

Some body mention clubs will make money by selling players,this is something i don't quite understand because if we are always selling our best players what's here for people see,who are the stars to attract the crowd,could that be one of our problems i'm sure if KJ in the stadium tomorrow it full,imagine government spending that kind of money to develop our Leagues/Players for foreign clubs to benefit,if we don't understand people can't identify with players any more,it creates a problem.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:20:19 AM by Coop's »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »
govt putting money where dey mouth is, i see we getting new swimming and cycling complex too lol :beermug:  :)  ;D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
Waay.....Wha people not gettin boy......
THE PRO-LEAGUE LIKE ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL SPORT IS A BUSINESS!!!

FOR ANY BUSINESS TO SURVIVE IT MUST HAVE CUSTOMERS!!!!

IN SPORT THE CUSTOMERS FIRST AND FOREMOST ARE THE SPECTATORS!!!

THE PRO-LEAGUE HAS NO SPECTATORS!!

THE PRO-LEAGUE DOES NOT MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO ATTRACT CUSTOMERS!!! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PRORITY FOR THIS. THIS SHOULD BE THE DRIVING FOCUS OF THE PRO-LEAGUE. AT THIS POINT, THIS SHOULD BE EVEN BEFORE YOUTH EVELOPMENT!!! THE MANAGEMENT OF THE PRO-LEAGUE IS MISGUIDED. THEY ARE RETARDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE LOCAL GAME.

THE PROLEAGUE WILL GO NOWHERE WITHOUT COMMUNITY SUPPORT/SPECTATORS/VIEWERS!!!

THEY WILL FOREVER BE WELFARE DEPENDENT WITHOUT FOCUS ON THE FANS!!!

That is, unless the focus is to sell players overseas. Then I can understand what they are doing.

Right you are, the Pro League is a business.  Many foreign multi-nationals are provided incentives to set up shop in Trinidad and Tobago (just as they are elsewhere) and among those incentives are tax breaks and other legislative/bureaucratic concessions to help alleviate the process of doing business in Trinidad.  If we can provide incentives to foreign companies why can't the government similarly provide assistance to a domestic entity that is doing much more than trying to make money?  

The development of the pro league is intrinsically tied to the development of football in Trinidad.  Yes there needs to be more of a premium placed on developing youth football, but after you groom them what next?  Sending them to kick ball in the US doesn't seem to be working (how many ex-US Scholars are currently in the National pool?) so clearly it's the professional pool that needs to be deepened.  This means that short of sending promising players abroad (which is possible, but improbable for all) then you need to provide them an opportunity to continue to develop professionally in TnT.  Which brings us full-circle to the PFL.  Money goes a long way, and under Skeene the league has taken huge strides in it's development.  This is every bit a social investment as it is a 'handout' to the PFL.  

The government gets criticized when it helps and criticized when it doesn't help.  As the saying goes, you really can't win for losing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:18:10 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 11:49:12 AM »
I think football in T&T is the victim of the globalisation of football.

With the greatest respect, why go to watch Tobago Utd vs Defence Force when you will not see anything near to Arsenal vs Liverpool, who you can watch on tv?

As for KJ, would he be an international superstar if he played his football for Joe Public? Of course not. People in Trini would be saying "Kenwyne who?"

For a player to reach his pinnacle in football, he needs to be playing overseas at this time, much like Britains best players in the 60's & 70's.

The ProLeague needs to develop from the ground up. It needs a 5 year plan to improve attendances and actively encourage overseas players.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »
 Election time...its that simple...all the time they int doinng nothing...now all of a sudden...steuuuuuups....Good for the PFL though

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
Election time...its that simple...all the time they int doinng nothing...now all of a sudden...steuuuuuups....Good for the PFL though
It is evident you can't read...it musta been 'election time' every year for each of the past four years.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
Like allyuh points B&S and FPATT & Coops...
FPATT, How yuh mean ground up ? Ah know it would take ah lil time to elaborate, buh whenever. if yuh could kind of give we (dem) ah lil hypothetical detail of this concept,would appreciate. I am aware of what ground up means, just application to T&T. Is only because ah really not sure where is ground as far as T&t (EDIT:pro league) is concerned.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:21:21 PM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 12:26:16 PM »
All yuh so hate d gov't dat when dey do good dey cyah be congratulated ox i say yuh campaigning 4 jack yuh come back here with yuh nonesense
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

TrinInfinite

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »

God is de BOSS....
Explain this part

that makes it look even worse on the govt, 1/3 of the money spent on the pro league in the last 4 years, has come right before election.. schupssssssss, you telling me fellahs like monteil in control of 100 mill and the pro league only get 11 mill over 4 years? ??? the govt didnt do $hit for the pfl, imagine only 11 mill given in 4 years and 1/3 has been given b4 one of the most crucial general elections in history... try again breddah..

God is de BOSS.....

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »

God is de BOSS....
Explain this part

that makes it look even worse on the govt, 1/3 of the money spent on the pro league in the last 4 years, has come right before election.. schupssssssss, you telling me fellahs like monteil in control of 100 mill and the pro league only get 11 mill over 4 years? ??? the govt didnt do $hit for the pfl, imagine only 11 mill given in 4 years and 1/3 has been given b4 one of the most crucial general elections in history... try again breddah..

God is de BOSS.....

Absolutely retarded
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »

Agreed.
Yet Pro League teams NEVER disclose the amount received from a player sold.  But the taxpayers have to ante up every year  ??? makes no sense
Hart for president

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »

Agreed.
Yet Pro League teams NEVER disclose the amount received from a player sold.  But the taxpayers have to ante up every year  ??? makes no sense
Some ah allyuh either being deliberately obtuse...or allyuh hopelessly clueless as to what's really happening.  When Kenwyne was sold by Southampton to Sunderland, did the Championship see any of that money?  No.  That money went straight into Southampton's coffers.

The Pro League doesn't hold any player contracts, it owns the rights to no player.  When a player is 'sold' to a foreign  club in TnT that money goes directly to the player's local club...not to the Pro League.  The other teams in the Pro League don't benefit from that player being sold...other than other foreign clubs perhaps now watching the entire league closely for more talent.  No money is shared out to the league nor the other clubs.  Clubs like Northeast All Stars who ent selling no players, is it right for them to continue to ketch ass with dwindling crowd support, playing on rec league grounds shared by schoolchildren while the Jabloteh and W-Connections continue to prosper financially?  Or should there be money for all...including struggling clubs?  Taxpayers have to ante up because it's a social investment in Trinidad football...even if some ah allyuh remain too shortsighted to see that.

1]; } ?>