April 25, 2024, 12:32:54 AM

Author Topic: Harbour View beat Joe Public to win CFU Club title. (R).  (Read 10366 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Harbour View beat Joe Public to win CFU Club title. (R).
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:10:43 AM »
Harbour View clinch Club Championship.
By: Joel Bailey (Newsday).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Kerry Baptiste put the “Eastern Lions” Joe Public ahead, in the 16th minute, before Harbour View of Jamaica replied in the 21st and 23rd to win the CFU Club Championship yesterday. The victory guarantees Harbour View a place in the 2008 CONCACAF Champions’ Cup.
Both teams kept the same line-ups from their semi-final matches, which were contested on Wednesday. Yesterday’s final was at the Marvin Lee Stadium at Macoya. Baptiste put the hosts in front when he got in front of defender Ricardo Smith and tucked his left-footed effort past the left hand of goalkeeper Dwayne Miller after Kendall Jagdeosingh’s cross rolled across the face of goal. The Jamaicans responded with a pair of quick-fire goals to tilt the balance clearly in their favour, both featuring the trio of Jermaine Hue, Kavin Bryan and Fabian Taylor.
On the edge of the penalty box, Hue teed up Bryan who, in turn, spotted an unmarked Fabian Taylor inside the box and the forward, in one motion, turned and drilled his right-footer past the motionless Joe Public goalkeeper Alejandro Figueroa.
Hue shrugged off a lame challenge from Joe Public midfielder Silas Spann and spotted Bryan who, with only Figueroa to beat, slipped the ball to his strike partner Fabian Taylor to poke home. Nelson came agonisingly close to tying the scores when, with two defenders on him, his right-footed effort trickled past a bemused Miller and cannoned off the uprights.
Harbour View captain Christopher Harvey was sent off by referee Roberto Moreno of Panama in the 56th minute for his second bookable offence, but Joe Public never capitalised on the numerical advantage.
In the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup, Harbour View will join defending title-holders Pachuca CF of Mexico, DC United of the United States, CD Motagua of Honduras, Costa Rica’s Deportivo Saprissa and a club apiece from Mexico, the US and Central America.

CFU Champions’ Cup Finals
Wednesday, November 16
Marvin Lee Stadium

Harbour View FC 2 (Fabien Taylor 21st, Kevin Bryan 23rd) v Joe Public 1 (Kerry Baptiste 16th).

Joe Public: - Alejandro Figueroa; Dale Saunders (capt), Keyeno Thomas, Seon Power; Silas Spann, Lyndon Andrews (Carlos Gonzales 81st), Kendall Jadgeosingh, Kerry Noray (Kendall Davis 86th), Devon Caseman (Gregory Richardson 33rd), Kerry Baptiste; Roen Nelson.

Harbour View: - Dwayne Miller; Jermaine Taylor, Christopher Harvey (capt), Oneil Smith, Ricardo Smith; Donald Stewart, Richard Edwards, Jermaine Hue (Gregg Taylor 88th), Loxley Thomas; Fabian Taylor, Kavin Bryan (Clifton Waugh 58th).
Harbour View win CFU Club title.
T&T Express Reports.
[/size]

Jamaican club Harbour View captured the 2007 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Club Championship yesterday evening with a 2-1 win over home team bmobile Joe Public at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya. Harbour View now advance as the sole Caribbean representatives at the 2008 CONCACAF Club Championships.
Public scored first through the irrepressible Kerry Baptiste in the 16th minute but two minutes of magic from veteran Jamaican midfielder Jermaine Hue decided the contest. Hue created Harbour's spectacular equaliser for striker Fabien Taylor in the 21st minute and both men combined again for a Kevin Bryan finish in the 23rd minute.
Harbour View were reduced to 10 men ten minutes after the interval, while Baptiste and Public's Jamaican-born striker Roen Nelson both hit the post. But the Jamaicans were resolute and CONCACAF president and Public owner Jack Warner was forced to part with the CFU trophy after the final whistle.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:13:29 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Harbour View beat Joe Public to win CFU Club title. (R).
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:26:18 AM »
Good luck all the way harbour view,represent the caribbean well...........

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:29:04 AM »
And this is the last edition of the Club Champions Cup.

Next year: the CONCACAF Champions League. ;D
jjbrown

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:35:57 AM »

Congrats, HV. Good luck in the next round. (u c? I won't lie to myself when i am left in the dust and pretend to support...cuba ;D ;D ;D).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 07:39:18 AM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 07:37:14 AM »
merely curious jamaica2099, what si your age range?

from some of your psots I would hazard a guess somewhere i the 16-24 range?

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »
merely curious jamaica2099, what si your age range?

from some of your psots I would hazard a guess somewhere i the 16-24 range?
Miss by a year. I'm 25.
jjbrown

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »
Well done Harbour View!  CONGRATS!!!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 10:04:20 AM »
McComie fuhget he tugs home yesterday or what?

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 11:09:43 AM »
I heard that Jerry Hue totally destroyed Joe Public defense, making them look like 3 yr olds. Boy I tell you, Hue is the best midfielder in the Caribbean(I said in, not from so dont shit up unnuhself bout Latapy please) right now without a doubt but gets alot of fight out here. I'm sure if he was Trini you would cherish him. He would start every game for your national side. This dude never got his fair shot for JA. I dont know how a player can play well for his country and still get left out, like the time he destroy Trinidad defense in the Carib Cup. Cant ask for more from a player like that.
Smoke and Fly

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
Good Job Jamrock ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
Hue? Best in the caribbean?
I think some haitian and cubans will have their own opinion to add to this, I saw some very good displays from midfielders last copa caribe when haiti won.

Hue is decent, but he aint up to Yorke, who at 36 is still very effective.
A player like Chris Birchall will give hime the fight of his life in the middle of the park, giving him no room whatsoever.
And if its just Hue's ability to play attacking football, I dont think yu can mention his name in the same sentence as Carlos Edwards.
Some might argue that a fit Otis Seaton who had a wonderful WC qualifying campaign and decent world cup is still the best midfielder based in the caribbean right now.

I have seen Jermaine Hue play quite a bit, he is not as magical as Whitmore, nor as technically good as Andy Williams.
I would rate him on par with a Kerwyn Jemmott, who like Hue, has suffered from what many percieve as bias when it comes to national colours.
Jemmot is obviously very gifted, just like Hue, but they lack that extra something that makes them really stand out on a bigger stage.
I hope he comes good, cause Ja will need him for the qualifiers.

Congrats to Harbour View, job very well done. A needed boost for Captain Burrelli. Hope they represent the region well.

They have proved yet again, that like international ball, there is very very little between trinidad and jamaican teams...
As meh jamaican pardna was saying yesterday, jamaica could get licks from every single team in asia, and rank all below 200 and be 100 million in debt...if they play Trinidad, you can bet yuh bottom dollar, they will beat us.
And until we start back beating them consistently at senior level, there is not much argument I could give him on that topic.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 12:24:50 PM »
I think some haitian and cubans will have their own opinion to add to this, I saw some very good displays from midfielders last copa caribe when haiti won.

A player like Chris Birchall will give hime the fight of his life in the middle of the park, giving him no room whatsoever.
And if its just Hue's ability to play attacking football, I dont think yu can mention his name in the same sentence as Carlos Edwards.
Some might argue that a fit Otis Seaton who had a wonderful WC qualifying campaign and decent world cup is still the best midfielder based in the caribbean right now.

I have seen Jermaine Hue play quite a bit, he is not as magical as Whitmore, nor as technically good as Andy Williams.
I would rate him on par with a Kerwyn Jemmott, who like Hue, has suffered from what many percieve as bias when it comes to national colours.
Jemmot is obviously very gifted, just like Hue, but they lack that extra something that makes them really stand out on a bigger stage.

Congrats to Harbour View, job very well done. A needed boost for Captain Burrelli. Hope they represent the region well.

They have proved yet again, that like international ball, there is very very little between trinidad and jamaican teams...
As meh jamaican pardna was saying yesterday, jamaica could get licks from every single team in asia, and rank all below 200 and be 100 million in debt...if they play Trinidad, you can bet yuh bottom dollar, they will beat us.
And until we start back beating them consistently at senior level, there is not much argument I could give him on that topic.

Notice I said IN in the caribbean, no need to talk about Yorke or Edwards. They dont play for a Caribbean club riight now. I would never say he is as magical as Whitmore was, no one in the caribbean other than Latapy can compare to Whitmore in his prime. Otis WHO? Where is he? He plays football?

The last part of your post is spot on. No matter how bad we are doing, whenever we play Trinidad, it brings out the best in us. If Cayman Islands beat us today, we'll beat Trinidad tomorrow.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 12:37:12 PM »

I wouldnt go as far as say Hue is the best midfielder in the caribbean, I would say he is definately one of the better ones in the area of ball handling/passing. His downfall has always been his work-rate, and that is perhaps the most critical area when you are a midfielder. On his day, he is as good as a Valderrama(IMO), but when he is off, he is just an ordinary player.  Former Brazilain and Jamaica coach Lazaroni stated that Hue was as good as any top-rated midfielder that he has coached, in terms of his ball handling skills, but commented that the player was lazy.

My personal pick for best midfielder in teh caribben - Whitmore! I know Latapy was a boss (saw him play in his days at PMU), but whitmore holds special place in my heart. And his two world cup finals goals counts for something too.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
Congrats to Harbour View and the Jamrock posse. No excuses. Alyuh always show up against us sinc ei watching football. Good luck against the Central Americans/Mexicans/Americans
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »

any news on how this new format will be structured?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »
I heard that Jerry Hue totally destroyed Joe Public defense, making them look like 3 yr olds. Boy I tell you, Hue is the best midfielder in the Caribbean(I said in, not from so dont shit up unnuhself bout Latapy please) right now without a doubt but gets alot of fight out here. I'm sure if he was Trini you would cherish him. He would start every game for your national side. This dude never got his fair shot for JA. I dont know how a player can play well for his country and still get left out, like the time he destroy Trinidad defense in the Carib Cup. Cant ask for more from a player like that.

and how did he play against jabloteh?btw ... he played against lyndon andrews drawkia kerry norway power ah bunch ah washed up players

Yes paw its a wonder what w conncetion can do to a player giv thanks to trinidad indeed....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
check some discussion here
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622368
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 07:31:55 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
Congrats Harbour View.....what MacCormie not gonna have his boys run over to the bench to assault they coach  this time?...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
Congratulations to all he JA fans.  Now go and represent us Caribbean folk well.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »

and how did he play against jabloteh?btw ... he played against lyndon andrews drawkia kerry norway power ah bunch ah washed up players

Yes paw its a wonder what w conncetion can do to a player giv thanks to trinidad indeed....

He played against Spann and destroyed him to set up the first goal. Aint you the one that put Spann on a pedestal, always stating that Hue isnt half as good as him. Wha u affi say bout the comparison now?
Smoke and Fly

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »

He played against Spann and destroyed him to set up the first goal. Aint you the one that put Spann on a pedestal, always stating that Hue isnt half as good as him. Wha u affi say bout the comparison now?

that is silas spann silvio spann younger brother
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
check some discussion here
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622368

interesting this new format could give our local players more exposure .

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=4025

The CONCACAF Executive Committee met in New York City, USA, for the second and last time in 2007 today.

The Executive Committee received reports of recent, current and upcoming CONCACAF events including a review of the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup™. That tournament, the first to involve 12 CONCACAF teams, was confirmed as being the most successful Gold Cup to date with record TV ratings and the highest total attendances in Gold Cup history.

The Committee also congratulated Canada on hosting a successful FIFA Under-20 World Cup. With a total attendance of 1.19 million (over 52 games) Canada narrowly beat the record for the best-attended FIFA U-20 World Cup set by another CONCACAF country, Mexico in 1983, which had 1.15 million fans attending (albeit over fewer games, 32).

Among the most important items under consideration was a detailed proposal from the CONCACAF Secretariat to end the existing club championship, the CONCACAF Champions Cup™, and introduce a new Champions League-style annual event. The proposed new competition, which will see 24 teams participating, received the approval of the Executive Committee and will commence in August 2008 with the first CONCACAF Champions League winner to be crowned in May of 2009. Therefore, the current CONCACAF Champions Cup™ will cease to exist after its next edition, taking place from February-May 2008, has concluded. Further details on the new competition, including qualification procedures, format and game calendar will be revealed at a launch event to be held on a date to be announced in due course.

CONACAF’s Executive Committee approved Guatemala as the host of the CONCACAF Futsal Championship in 2008 and also confirmed that, in April 2008, Mexico will host the Women’s qualification event for the Olympic Games, Beijing 2008. As has already been announced, USA will host the men’s qualification event, the CONCACAF U23 Championship, in March 2008.

In other matters the Executive Committee credited the referee development work currently being conducted in Central America while acknowledging that steps need to be put in place at the national association level to help ensure referees surpass FIFA fitness standards when called-upon to officiate at international events. The committee also highlighted the need to address the continued development of teams and players at the youth level throughout the Confederation.

The Committee received reports from the various administrative departments of CONCACAF including a proposal to revamp CONCACAF’s Committee structure. The Executive Committee also agreed to write to member associations inviting proposals to host the 2009 CONCACAF Congress and acknowledged that both Honduras and Panama had already expressed interest in hosting the event.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
do you all really need me here ???..please....hear nah....Hue..Whitmore....being mentioned in the same breath as "The master magician"......and allyuh sitting there taking that..????
wha de mudder c#nt I hearing here
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
do you all really need me here ???..please....hear nah....Hue..Whitmore....being mentioned in the same breath as "The master magician"......and allyuh sitting there taking that..????

:rotfl:  ...........................   :thinking: ...................................  :rotfl:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »

BM is not that we taking that nah....yuh eh know yuh cyar reason with mad people?
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »
BM is not that we taking that nah....yuh eh know yuh cyar reason with mad people?
This just in!!! ah video of Lionpaw :devil:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »

How did you know that was me?
Smoke and Fly

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »
How did you know that was me?
;D ;D
Good Job against El Savador

Bless man. Time for Trinidad to get the ball rolling too. I really miss seeing our full strength teams go at each other and Jamaica winning as usual.
Smoke and Fly

1]; } ?>