Sports > Football

Stern: We have the experience to make it again.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ngozi:
I think our conditioning will be the determining factor the only squad Ive seen play 90 mins soccer since the strikesquad was the soca warriors and they were fit that is the key....the US is always fitter than us and they beat us when we get tired and our concentration lags if we're depending on local players fitness levels and hoping for or foreigners to come back fit we're going out at the semi finals level....and again i maintain WIM is shit.......and I stand by that......rigidly

TrinInfinite:

--- Quote from: Oz on November 29, 2007, 09:25:31 AM ---I don't agree wid that TI.  There is NO substitute for real world experience.  A "half-squad" will most likely consist of players with little or no experience on the international stage.  Everything from the plane flight to the feeling of being in a new environment plays a role in the psyche of an individual player.  Come WCQ time it would be nice to know that whatever squad is selected, they ALL would have had some experience playing against foreign teams both at home and abroad.  Bottom line is... the build up to the game and the big stage should be "been there, done that".  That is what Stern is referring to when he says "We have the experience to make it again." 

Personally, I don't really mind losing an occasional friendly.  As long as we can see some evidence of progress.  Life is NEVER about how or where you start off, its where you finish, and how high yuh could hold yuh head that counts.  The last WCQ campaign was evidence enough for that.  Let's get the mistakes out of the way early o'clock... and for heaven's sake lets get this whole "blacklist" S#!T out of the way early also.  The important thing is to find the right blend of hungry players to represent T&T.  Veterans hungry for chance to make it better this time around, and youngsters hungry to make a name for themselves.

All of us would have our "what ifs" regarding WC2006.  Imagine the amount ah "what ifs" running through Carlos, Stern, Tallest, Brent, Cornell, Latas and...yes.. even Hardest head regarding the last WC.  What if Hardest was even training with the squad prior to the Ash Wednesday game vs the USA.  I say mucho preparation.  The more the merrier.  Let us not underestimate anyone, not even the Cayman Islands.  Let's try to minimize surprises and "what ifs".

--- End quote ---

i hear yuh breddah.... but to me we have been playing with over 5 diff teams, not our strongest single team.... when we can get all of our players on the same page, then it is vital to have a friendly, cayman islands aint no big team, we could have sent our locals to play dem and win, without worrying.... after that leg then we should worry, if we get our strongest team for cayman or we know we will have the full squad, then of course, lets get some friendlies goin, other than that i not worried a bit..

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED TT TEAMS THAT WILL EVER PLAY....GOD WILLING

God is de BOSS...

maxg:

--- Quote from: Ngozi on November 29, 2007, 10:33:40 AM ---I think our conditioning will be the determining factor the only squad Ive seen play 90 mins soccer since the strikesquad was the soca warriors and they were fit that is the key....the US is always fitter than us and they beat us when we get tired and our concentration lags if we're depending on local players fitness levels and hoping for or foreigners to come back fit we're going out at the semi finals level....and again i maintain WIM is shit.......and I stand by that......rigidly

--- End quote ---

Why do you think so, or is it just their style/program - emphasis more on running, marking..etc..rather than technical skill, that allows them to seem more fit than our players ? I think their whole program is geared to run at 80 % max for 110 mins...and not focus on wheter the pass (shot or beat..etc.) was good or not, buh how one react to it....size of fight in the dog...Unfortunately, it works for them..I don't think it is so much a matter of fitness, as comfort, with thatkind/level of game.... Ideally, any coach would love to have, any of our stars, and dem able to do their do at 50 % more speed, and 20 more minutes...but to play how we play, even train, with the heat at home..it's not easy...Some might say, well, Brazil have heat too...Though maybe not as much as us....nb: ah remember only 1 Brazilian playing at 100 mph, and even then only for30-40 mins (Jaizinho)..Very difficult to even learn to play at such pace..buh ah tell, meh, 1st couple years here, with high school final happenning in snowfall, ah learn to speedup and move a lot, very fast.. :D
Consequently, as ah arm-chair coach, I wouldn't play the same strategy, maybe not even pick the same team to play against the US, as I would against Mexico...Unfortunately, real coaches disagree..

dinho:

--- Quote from: TrinInfinite on November 29, 2007, 11:46:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: Oz on November 29, 2007, 09:25:31 AM ---I don't agree wid that TI.  There is NO substitute for real world experience.  A "half-squad" will most likely consist of players with little or no experience on the international stage.  Everything from the plane flight to the feeling of being in a new environment plays a role in the psyche of an individual player.  Come WCQ time it would be nice to know that whatever squad is selected, they ALL would have had some experience playing against foreign teams both at home and abroad.  Bottom line is... the build up to the game and the big stage should be "been there, done that".  That is what Stern is referring to when he says "We have the experience to make it again." 

Personally, I don't really mind losing an occasional friendly.  As long as we can see some evidence of progress.  Life is NEVER about how or where you start off, its where you finish, and how high yuh could hold yuh head that counts.  The last WCQ campaign was evidence enough for that.  Let's get the mistakes out of the way early o'clock... and for heaven's sake lets get this whole "blacklist" S#!T out of the way early also.  The important thing is to find the right blend of hungry players to represent T&T.  Veterans hungry for chance to make it better this time around, and youngsters hungry to make a name for themselves.

All of us would have our "what ifs" regarding WC2006.  Imagine the amount ah "what ifs" running through Carlos, Stern, Tallest, Brent, Cornell, Latas and...yes.. even Hardest head regarding the last WC.  What if Hardest was even training with the squad prior to the Ash Wednesday game vs the USA.  I say mucho preparation.  The more the merrier.  Let us not underestimate anyone, not even the Cayman Islands.  Let's try to minimize surprises and "what ifs".

--- End quote ---

i hear yuh breddah.... but to me we have been playing with over 5 diff teams, not our strongest single team.... when we can get all of our players on the same page, then it is vital to have a friendly, cayman islands aint no big team, we could have sent our locals to play dem and win, without worrying.... after that leg then we should worry, if we get our strongest team for cayman or we know we will have the full squad, then of course, lets get some friendlies goin, other than that i not worried a bit..

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED TT TEAMS THAT WILL EVER PLAY....GOD WILLING

God is de BOSS...

--- End quote ---

so TI, if this was true, then why all our other concacaf opponents wasting all that time with their extensive preparation programs gathering their pool of players, playing a setta friendlies and working on finalizing their teams for the qualifiers?

they should just do like us and pelt dey strongest, most talented men together in time for game and tell them show up for de match?! because according to your logic, the most talented team will win...

u stay there and doh worry yes...

Tallman:

--- Quote from: TrinInfinite on November 29, 2007, 08:11:35 AM ---more prep is needed but not for caymans and bermuda.... we dont need much prep there... after that game we should start worrying.... jmho reason being we dont have our full team 2gether so why assemble a half squad for intl friendlies?

--- End quote ---

1. We have played Bermuda seven times and blow dem out twice (4-0 and 5-0). We draw with dem twice and dey beat we (Strike Squad) once. De other games were 1-0 affairs.
2. We lorse tuh Antigua in 2005
3. Remember when we had tuh scrape past St. Vincent in 2004?

We need tuh approach each game with discipline. We cyar discount nobody.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version