April 24, 2024, 11:38:45 PM

Author Topic: Govt's home repair subsidy helping many  (Read 1643 times)

truetrini

Govt's home repair subsidy helping many
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:24:53 AM »
Govt's home repair subsidy helping many
-Carolyn Kissoon

Saturday, March 22nd 2008

Pensioner Davidson Joseph was living in a house with a leaking roof and an outdoor bathroom. He wanted to improve his living conditions, but had no means of doing so.

Villagers donated some galvanised sheets and even offered to do the job at no cost. But Joseph did not have the money to buy more material.

"My son saw an application form for a subsidy from government to repair houses. He told me about it but I was reluctant because in order to get money you have to match the amount. My son filled out the form for me and the inspectors came and saw the work. They valued the material and my son came up with the rest of money to match the $15,000. Less than three weeks later the money was in my account to start the work," he said.

Joseph, who lives in Pleasantville, said he has replaced his roof, built an indoor bathroom and did some work on his wooden flooring. "I am thankful for the help. Now I can live comfortable in my home," said 75-year-old Joseph.

He is among 1,600 homeowners who have already received money through the Ministry of Planning, Housing and the Environment's Home Improvement Subsidy.

About $20 million has already been paid out to homeowners for repairs to their houses in the past three years, the Express learned.

Beverly Samuel, coordinator of the HIS said the programme which began in 2005 was being funded by the Inter-American Development Bank and the money was non-refunable.

Samuel said the applicant is required to match the amount of money needed. "For example if they want $15,000, they have to show that they can match that amount either in cash, material or sweat equity," she said.

Samuel said a homeowner can qualify for a maximum of $20,000. "We would have had more people coming in for subsidies but sometimes they cannot match the amount," she said.

Samuel said to qualify for the subsidy the homeowner must be able to show that the household income did not exceed $7,000. She said income derived from social welfare would not be counted. "But old age pension, National Insurance payments and salaries will be used," she said.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Govt's home repair subsidy helping many
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:05:53 AM »
what you tink TT? I tink the motive is noble, and if not abused would be a great proactive move by the gov't...but I could see how this sort of thing could be open to plenty corruption (but that doesn't mean that they should just sit and do nuttin).   god job Gov't!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
Corruption is part of d Trini psyche because we lack checks and balances. All if need is a lil M&E and u will c how tings go change
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
so, is the money given out before the work is done or after?
if after then that is better
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:24:12 PM »
b4 d peeps eh have no money dat is y dey want d subsidy
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
b4 d peeps eh have no money dat is y dey want d subsidy
cool, unstan....
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>