February 23, 2019, 05:46:55 AM

Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 50323 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
MLS Thread
« on: December 02, 2007, 08:34:28 PM »

Construction to begin on Red Bull Park
by Frank Giase/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday November 28, 2007, 3:33 PM

Construction on Red Bull Park in Harrison, delayed more than a year due to cleanup and design issues, will begin next week, team executives told The Star-Ledger today.

The move comes less than two weeks after Red Bull bought out AEG's 50 percent stake in the Major League Soccer facility.

Red Bulls managing director Marc de Grandpre said the construction timeline is 18 to 20 months, with a target date to open in the summer of 2009.

The final design has been modified to become a soccer-specific facility, which will seat 25,189. The plans with AEG included a concert stage built into one end of the stadium and a cantilevered roof that would have covered the majority of the crowd. The Red Bull version eliminates the stage, reduces the number of luxury suites from 50 to 30 and features a translucent polycarbonate and aluminum roof that will cover every seat.

Red Bull Park will remain the centerpiece of a $1 billion Harrison development project that will include office space, retail outlets, parking decks and housing across the Passaic River from Newark.

The other projects are still in place and have nothing to do with the stadium redesign, de Grandpre said.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Red Bull Park breaks ground next week
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
huh? them eh break ground yet???? all this time i thinking them building it....wheyyyy
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:29:27 AM »
Good news that it is actually going to start building. Was happy to hear about the stadium over a year ago...then heard all the drama that came after. Think it's a good idea Red Bull gonna own d stadium 100% now, so there will b no conflict of interest cuz I know AEG wanted concert stage n all that (maybe somebody in Toronto or LA might have an opinion on whether d concerts r good or bad).

As for d design I like the roof, and d fact it covers all d seats. Hope they have some kinda heating in there too though cuz it gets reeeaaaaaaal cold in Giants stadium so hope Red Bull Park is better. In primary school I use to wish I was in Europe so I could go to d games every week and have a team to support (those in Europe who actually go to d games I envy u). I make do with what I have so Red Bull Park is big news to me cuz 2008 will b my 3rd yr as a Red Bull season ticket holder (no MLS jokes  :D ), I jus think 11-12 thousand ppl in  75,000 Giants stadium kills d whole atmosphere so d smaller setting will make things sooo much better. bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:16:13 AM »
Good news that it is actually going to start building. Was happy to hear about the stadium over a year ago...then heard all the drama that came after. Think it's a good idea Red Bull gonna own d stadium 100% now, so there will b no conflict of interest cuz I know AEG wanted concert stage n all that (maybe somebody in Toronto or LA might have an opinion on whether d concerts r good or bad).

As for d design I like the roof, and d fact it covers all d seats. Hope they have some kinda heating in there too though cuz it gets reeeaaaaaaal cold in Giants stadium so hope Red Bull Park is better. In primary school I use to wish I was in Europe so I could go to d games every week and have a team to support (those in Europe who actually go to d games I envy u). I make do with what I have so Red Bull Park is big news to me cuz 2008 will b my 3rd yr as a Red Bull season ticket holder (no MLS jokes  :D ), I jus think 11-12 thousand ppl in  75,000 Giants stadium kills d whole atmosphere so d smaller setting will make things sooo much better. bless

The concert stage thing is a move to maximize revenue, particularly during the off-season.

I have some other info for you...check yuh PM.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS to Add two new teams in 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
In addition to the new team in Seattle (2009) and Philadelphia (2010)... MLS is looking to add two more teams for the 2011 season:

"Expansion was a popular topic of discussion, particularly in Toronto where TFC's success has created speculation that other Canadian cities may be contenders for a new MLS club. Garber said that Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver are on a short list that also includes Atlanta, Las Vegas, Miami, Portland, St. Louis and possibly a second New York team.

Garber dismissed concerns that the MLS owners would be more apt to favor U.S. expansion teams than Canadian ones.

'I think that's a quintessentially Canadian way of thinking that Canadians won't be able to compete.' Garber joked. 'We don't have a market reacting quite the way we've experienced in Toronto; that's a pretty good leg up on many other cities.'

The commissioner said that the new Seattle team has already sold close to 16,000 season tickets in anticipation of their 2009 debut, and the Philadelphia club coming in 2010 have close to 5,000 season tickets sold. These two teams will raise the league's total to 16, and Garber said the short-term goal is add expansion clubs in two of the aforementioned group of contending cities and then re-evaluate the situation. He said he hoped to have more details on new teams by MLS Cup in November."

See Article

In an ideal world this would mean more opportunities for caribbean footballers...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:42:04 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: MLS to Add two new teams in 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »
I heard they are highly in favour of a Portland (most likely) or Vancouver team to keep the NorthWest Rivalry going with Seattle who is already making a big impact, which they think would draw bigger crowds and attention. Rivalries (apparently) are a big part of American sporting culture  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »

Watch for one, possibly two more Canadian teams by 2011.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »
Vancouver shootin dey own self in de foot by lapsin on de new Stadium.

Ting is...the problem isn't the usual issue of taxpayers protesting having to shell out $ for the stadium.  The owner of the Whitecaps is financing the entire project.  No Federal or Provincial money asked for or required.  Jes stupid Vancouver politics.  First it was the residents saying they're concerned about soccer hooliganism in the downtown area (yet they have no problem with hockey despite the ONLY incidence of fan sporting violence in Vancouver's history took place when they rioted in downtown Vancouver when their team lost in the Stanley Cup).  Then is de Railway doh want to part with land they have no need for insisting that they MIGHT develop it in 50 years.

Dese peeps doh know dey ass from dey elbow.  Typical.  No wonder Vancouver is a loser sporting and entertainment city.  Too bad, because it's a beautiful spot.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

Vancouver will be in, and I'm betting Montreal as well.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
Vancouver shootin dey own self in de foot by lapsin on de new Stadium.

Ting is...the problem isn't the usual issue of taxpayers protesting having to shell out $ for the stadium.  The owner of the Whitecaps is financing the entire project.  No Federal or Provincial money asked for or required.  Jes stupid Vancouver politics.  First it was the residents saying they're concerned about soccer hooliganism in the downtown area (yet they have no problem with hockey despite the ONLY incidence of fan sporting violence in Vancouver's history took place when they rioted in downtown Vancouver when their team lost in the Stanley Cup).  Then is de Railway doh want to part with land they have no need for insisting that they MIGHT develop it in 50 years.

Dese peeps doh know dey ass from dey elbow.  Typical.  No wonder Vancouver is a loser sporting and entertainment city.  Too bad, because it's a beautiful spot.

They better not sleep... I don't think the league would grant a franchise to a team that doesn't have a plan to move into a soccer-only stadium w/in a couple years.  The league has tried to piggy-back on the existing sporting infrastructure but they long ago realized thru efforts in Columbus, and much later Chicago and Houston... that soccer-only stadiums provide the degree of intimacy and the type of environment that generates passion among fans.  It's actually laid out right here which direction the league is movin in on this issue:

"Get all MLS teams playing in team-owned and operated soccer-only stadiums that are integrated into their communities: Garber said that by 2010, 12 of the league's 16 teams will be in soccer-specific stadiums, including Real Salt Lake's new home opening next season, New York in late 2009, Philadelphia in 2010 and new stadium projects underway in San Jose and Kansas City. "

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »

I don't see both Canadian cities getting franchises before Portland or another US city.  Vancouver I can see... Montreal may have to wait.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:39:11 PM »
If the MLS know what good for dem, dey should take heed and stay away from Miami and Las Vegas. Especially Miami.....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »
If the MLS know what good for dem, dey should take heed and stay away from Miami and Las Vegas. Especially Miami.....

Strange too... you'd think SoFla would be a prime market.  I think they just need to package and market the product the right way.  Take heed of the demographics and focus their efforts accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:25:22 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »

I don't see both Canadian cities getting franchises before Portland or another US city.  Vancouver I can see... Montreal may have to wait.

Why Vancouver over Montreal? We already have the stadium, and just won a three team playoff with Vancouver and Toronto to see who represents Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 01:40:56 AM »

Why Vancouver over Montreal? We already have the stadium, and just won a three team playoff with Vancouver and Toronto to see who represents Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Could be sheer ignorance on my part Mose... maybe I'm not appreciating the level of support for and the appeal of the sport among the Québécois, but to me there is more groundswell support for soccer in B.C.  Vancouver is a hotbed of soccer activity in Canada, the sports' roots are well-entrenched there, and a team there would seem a perfect and natural rivalry for the expansion FC Seattle squad.  I'm sure a similar argument can be made relative to a Montreal team and TFC... I just think that in terms of a primacy, Vancouver will come first... with Montreal being a logical target later on.  I could be wrong.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 02:15:41 AM »
cant believe that Miami doesnt have a team I also thought that would be a prime place for a football team.
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »

Strange too... you'd think SoFla would be a prime market.  I think they just need to package and market the product the right way.  Take heed of the demographics and focus their efforts accordingly.

All of the pro teams in Miami fail to draw crowds. The Heat don't consistently sell out, the Dolphins, shyt even when Dan Marino was rippin up de place dey never used to sell out. Even de damn Marlins win ah world series and couldn't pay people to come and see dem play.
No matter how much yuh market yuh team,SoFla have too many other distractions for people to concern dey self bout sports. Sad but true and  de evidence speaks for itself.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
I always thought Rochester would eventually get a team. They have attendance to rival an MLS team, a new stadium, and manage to win the US open cup as an a-league team in the MLS era
Of course, they also buss and get the stadium seized by the city, but they have a new owner with apparently deep pockets.
Might just be a function of market size and a sweet spot.

As for Miami, some places just don't do sports for whatever reason, too much other things to compete for your cash and time, too far to drive, the place hot like hell and you want man to sit outside....
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
All of the pro teams in Miami fail to draw crowds. The Heat don't consistently sell out, the Dolphins, shyt even when Dan Marino was rippin up de place dey never used to sell out. Even de damn Marlins win ah world series and couldn't pay people to come and see dem play.
No matter how much yuh market yuh team,SoFla have too many other distractions for people to concern dey self bout sports. Sad but true and  de evidence speaks for itself.

I was real surprised when the Fusion folded back in the day.  I don't know the area to say what people's tastes are like, but I'm thinking that Miami itself doesn't really have the type of crowd that would support a football team... them transplanted Cubans eh care about no football.  I was thinking given the size of the WI community north of Miami, if they situated it closer to Ft. Lauderdale where man doh have to drive 45 mins to get to the stadium then it might have a shot.  But then you have to turn around and market the team to the community with targeted advertisement, just as DC United did with all dem Central Americans in the DC Metro area.  Outside ah dem you'd swear DC United never had ah chance, de way the team went after dem.

Bitter... I dunno if yuh was being serious, but I doh think it too hot to go check out ah night game down there man.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:57:39 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

Could be sheer ignorance on my part Mose... maybe I'm not appreciating the level of support for and the appeal of the sport among the Québécois, but to me there is more groundswell support for soccer in B.C.  Vancouver is a hotbed of soccer activity in Canada, the sports' roots are well-entrenched there, and a team there would seem a perfect and natural rivalry for the expansion FC Seattle squad.  I'm sure a similar argument can be made relative to a Montreal team and TFC... I just think that in terms of a primacy, Vancouver will come first... with Montreal being a logical target later on.  I could be wrong.
I hear you. However, Montreal is actually very well supported. I'd actually say it is probably one of the best supported teams in the USL, if not the best. Actually one of the reasons we have the new stadium is that the old one was regularly overcrowded. The support is there and the team has always had strong ties to the community.

Vancouver's problem might be, as Palos said, the lack of a stadium. Funding may also be an issue for both teams. Apparently it cost TFC $10mil to join MLS when they did. Not bad, but that fee is projected to rise to at least $40mil by the time Montreal and/or Vancouver are up. I understand the Montreal owners are looking for a partner. Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

Whatever happens though. I'd like to see all 3 teams in the MLS.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Bitter... I dunno if yuh was being serious, but I doh think it too hot to go check out ah night game down there man.
Ah tink Bitter been living in de cold too long! ;D

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

I hear you. However, Montreal is actually very well supported. I'd actually say it is probably one of the best supported teams in the USL, if not the best. Actually one of the reasons we have the new stadium is that the old one was regularly overcrowded. The support is there and the team has always had strong ties to the community.

Vancouver's problem might be, as Palos said, the lack of a stadium. Funding may also be an issue for both teams. Apparently it cost TFC $10mil to join MLS when they did. Not bad, but that fee is projected to rise to at least $40mil by the time Montreal and/or Vancouver are up. I understand the Montreal owners are looking for a partner. Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

I can tell you now, that Vancouver has no funding problem...as a matter ah fact they have the money and ready and willing to build a new stadium, but as Palos rightly said, politics is keeping them back at the moment. I think Steve Nash is on the team who is funding the new franchise. Vancouver is ready, they jus waiting for the green light.

Big Up!.
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »

I can tell you now, that Vancouver has no funding problem...as a matter ah fact they have the money and ready and willing to build a new stadium, but as Palos rightly said, politics is keeping them back at the moment. I think Steve Nash is on the team who is funding the new franchise. Vancouver is ready, they jus waiting for the green light.

Big Up!.
My bad. Cool! :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »
Ah tink Bitter been living in de cold too long! ;D

Man, I just telling you excuses ppl could use. And not all games is night games.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
Vancouver unless I'm mistaken are having some funding difficulties.

As far as I know, Vancouver has no funding issues.  Jes dotish resident and politician issues.

As for crowd support, TFC first, then Montreal, then Vancouver.  The only pro sport Vancouver truly cares about is hockey.  Otherwise, save for a few pockets of die hards, everybody else too wrapped up in biking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, camping, complaining, and huggin trees.

As I said, as far as pro sports and entertainment goes, it's a loser town.  NBA Basketball was doomed to fail from de time in dey inaugural season, dey select Bryant "Big Country" Reeves with the #1 pick in de draft & left town as soon as it could. 

They never had or could sustain a MLB team.

BC Lions have the same popularity as polo

And to top it off, the only pro team they care about SUCKS, has never won a Stanley Cup, and missed the playoffs this past season.

It have de best climate in Canada doh and some a de best scenery in de world.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:26:13 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 01:21:14 AM »
Vancouver need to get rid of all dem drug addicts and homeless people in East Hastings first....

Clean up dat whole downtown core if dem serious about making dat downtown football franchise a success....

dat iz d  worst city in North America and it receive ah winter olympics with the worse drug epidemic in the middle of the city...it is a catastrophy.....

dem politicians too damn dotish... >:(
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »

One advantage both Montreal and Vancouver have, are existing teams with rich histories:

The Whitecaps have been around for roughly 35 years, and are the oldest professional club in North America.  They have a billionaire owner and now Steve Nash NBA MVP, (who has been a Whitecaps fan since he was 6 yrs old) is on board. 
MLS have already approved their plans to move into a renovated BC Place.  Back in the day of Empire Stadium, the Whitecaps used to draw crowds of over 20,000.  They are former champions in the NASL, CSL and now USL First Division.   They also beat TFC at BMO Field, and tied them in Vancouver, in Voyageurs Cup action.  Not to mention beating the LA Galaxy in Edmonton in front of over 30,000. 

The Montreal Impact just opened their new soccer specific stadium, Stade Saputo.  It's a beautiful 13,000 seat stadium, and the pitch is said to rival anything in the world (unlike TFC's BMO Field, which has FieldTurf). Plans are already in place to expand to 20,000 seats.  Montreal are former USL First Division champions, and seven time Voyageurs Cup winners, beating TFC at BMO Field this year to claim the Canadian championship.  Montreal in USL regularly out draws MLS clubs.  They are also owned by the Saputo family, which are worth billions and are the fifth richest Canadians.

Any new club (including Ottawa) starting from scratch can't touch any of this.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:34:07 AM by Winnipeg Fury »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »
It have de best climate in Canada doh and some a de best scenery in de world.
I eh know about dat nah. Too much flicking rain fuh me.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whitecaps joining MLS in 2011
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
It's official: Whitecaps joining MLS in 2011

By Ian Walker, Vancouver SunMarch 18, 2009

It's a good news Wednesday for Vancouver Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi, as he talks about the franchise joining Major League Soccer (MLS) for the 2011 season.
Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, Vancouver Sun

The Vancouver Whitecaps will join Major League Soccer for the 2011 season, it was confirmed today, in what may be the worst-kept secret in Lower Mainland sports circles.

MLS commissioner Don Garber made the announcement at a posh and packed press conference at the Westin Bayshore. Garber praised the team's ownership group for convincing MLS that Vancouver was a viable market for its 17th franchise.

"It's a very passionate soccer market and an ownership group that gets the game," said Garber. "Our goal is to become one of the world's best soccer leagues. The addition of Vancouver will help us get to that point."

Current Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot is heading the Vancouver ownership group. Joining him are NBA star Steve Nash, San Francisco Giants co-owner Jeff Mallett and Boston Celtics co-owner Steve Luczo. The group paid US$35 million for the franchise, down from the $40 million price tag MLS was originally asking, but more than the $30 million the Seattle Sounders paid two years ago. Seattle makes its MLS debut on Thursday in the league's opener agianst the New York Red Bulls at Qwest Field.

Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi cautioned there is a chance the team name could change once it joins MLS, but not if he gets his way.

"The Whitecaps name has a lot of equity," said Lenarduzzi. "There is a lot of things we need to make decisions on. There may be people out there that think it may need to be something other than that."

Vancouver will have the second MLS team in Canada following the successful launch of Toronto FC in 2007. Toronto FC has sold out every home game, capped season tickets at 16,000, and has a season-ticket waiting list of over 14,000.

The Vancouver expansion team will play at a renovated BC Place Stadium., which is set to undergo $365 million worth of improvements, including a retractable roof.

Kerfoot is the owner of Vancouver Whitecaps FC and former CEO of Crystal Decisions Software. Luczo is president, CEO, and chairman of the board for Seagate Technology and part owner of the NBA's Boston Celtics. Mallett is part owner of Major League Baseball's San Francisco Giants and is the former president and COO of Yahoo! Nash — a guard for the NBAs Phoenix Suns — is a two-time NBA MVP, and along with Mallett, is an investor in women's professional soccer.

iwalker@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/official+Whitecaps+joining+2011/1402528/story.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:31:01 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »
Quakes unveiled another stadium design this week.
features according to the hype 'shortest site lines in MLS', a scoreboard bar (underneath the double sided HD screen at the open end. see 0:33 in the video) Also a general admission berm at that end for 5,000 person standing room (or picnics when it's not filled to capacity, lol) 15,000 seats.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QtArMxFcKhE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QtArMxFcKhE</a>