April 23, 2024, 04:05:32 PM

Author Topic: T&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1.  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1.
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:38:01 AM »
All-daCosta Cup team continues Jamaica's reign.
By: Anthony Foster (Freelance Writer).
[/size]

The All-daCosta Cup team continued Jamaica's dominance over Trinidad and Tobago despite sharing the spoils against an All-schools team from the twin-island republic at Jamalco Sports Club yesterday.
In the match, which ended 1-1, Glenmuir and national Under-17 player James Thomas opened the scoring in the 23rd minute for the All-daCosta Cup team. Trinidad and Tobago equalised from the penalty spot through Elijah Manners in the 82nd minute. The All-Manning Cup boys on Monday ran away 2-1 winners and the combined results kept the Jamaican schoolboys undefeated since the reintroduction of the series in 2003.

Unsettled

In a very slow opening 20 minutes, a period which saw both teams looking unsettled, not even one shot was on target.
And it wasn't any surprise when Thomas failed to score from within the six-yard box. Though finding himself unmarked in the six-yard box, his weak shot was deflected.
However, he made up for the mistake 12 minutes later. Still, despite the brilliance of his shot, the half ended with few exciting moments.
The second half started at a much faster pace but, despite the excitement, All-daCosta Cup captain Ashton Bennett made a mess of a brilliant pass he received from midfield, firing wide of the target from inside the box.
From then on, Trinidad and Tobago took over the game and made several surges to goal but, like their opponents, they too watched all their shots ending up high or wide.
They, however, got one on target but Jerome Williams' well-directed shot was well saved.
Williams, again, three minutes later, had another shot pushed wide by the keeper.
Trinidad and Tobago's second-half dominance finally paid off in the 82nd minute when Ricardo Allen handled the ball inside the box, resulting in a penalty which saw Manners make no mistake from the spot.

Missed at close range

In the dying moments of the game, substitute Damarli Samuels should have scored the winner for the All-daCosta Cup team but he headed wide from inside the six-yard box. A minute later, teammate Draion McNain also missed from close range.
Jeffrey Hewitt, coach of the All-daCosta Cup team, said he was satisfied with the team's performance, because "we only had a couple of hours to prepare.
"We got together last night - so I think we did exceptionally well," he said.
Shawn Cooper, coach of the Trinidad and Tobago team, said it was an easy game for his boys while adding that it was unfortunate that they were returning home without the cup.
"We dominated the entire game," Cooper said. "In the first half, they had one shot, we had more ball possession but, against the run of play, they scored.
"We took over the entire game second half."
Cooper also said the All-Manning Cup team played better than its rural counterparts.
T&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1.
By: Jamaica Observer.
[/size]

Jamaica's school boy footballers continued their dominance over their Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) countersparts as they won the two-leg Friendship Football Cup for the fourth straight year.
The home team took the tie 3-2 on aggregate following yesterday's 1-1 tie in the return leg between the All-daCosta Cup team and the T&T All-Schools team at Jamalco in Clarendon.
National age-group representative James Thomas scored first for the All-daCosta team in the 22nd minute as the Jamaicans led 1-0 at half-time.
However, Elijah Manner netted the equaliser in the 82nd minute for the T&T All Schools team.
Yestersay's result followed Monday's 2-1 victory by the All-Manning aggregation at Winchester Park in Kingston.
Jamaica have now won the trophy on all four occasions since the inception of the competition in 2003. The visitors are due to depart this afternoon at 5:00.

Horace Maxwell (right) of the All-daCosta Cup team climbs high as he tries to control the ball ahead of a Trinidad and Tobago All-Schools opponent during yesterday's match at the Jamalco Sports Club in Clarendon. The match ended 1-1. - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 05:19:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T.&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:38:52 AM »
T.&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1 should this not be the other way around cuase i read a report about how we dominated??/
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
Re: T.&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:41:23 AM »
T.&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1 should this not be the other way around cuase i read a report about how we dominated??/
You should even by a good margin against a team that had just come together less than 24 hours before. So think about what would have happened if the DaCosta All-Stars had longer to prepare. ;D
Possibly a 4-1 victory for the Jamaican schoolboys. ;) 
jjbrown

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T All-Schools hold All-daCosta squad 1-1.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:04:05 AM »
You should even by a good margin against a team that had just come together less than 24 hours before. So think about what would have happened if the DaCosta All-Stars had longer to prepare. ;D

Did they only find out about the game in the last 48hrs? I'm pretty sure they didnt so that isnt our fault that your guys didnt train before. They know this competition is held every year.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »

Did they only find out about the game in the last 48hrs? I'm pretty sure they didnt so that isnt our fault that your guys didnt train before. They know this competition is held every year.

What the comotion for now? It looked like the T&T all schools team got better with each game...good for them.  I would have loved to see a combined Jamaica schools team take on the combined T&T school team over two legs. That would provide a better measure of the strength of schoolboy football on both islands...although I suspect that schoolboy football in Jamaica has the  edge over T&T (based on results in the past 4 years)

Schoolboy football in Jamaica is big..I suspect its even more popular than our top flight football league (CPPL)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »

I dont know how the selection is done in JA  but this is what is said on schoolsoccernet!

By Swood @ Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:52 AM
OK just to clear the air on a couple of questions...please note I am giving the explanations and not necessarily in total agreement with them.

1) The All Star team was selected based on nationwide (including Tobago) screening at different venues over the last month. Players HAD to attend at least one to have a chance to be selected.

2) Jamal Gay and Daniel Joseph were not selected because they did not attend any of the screenings despite the constant requests from Coach Shawn Cooper. The reasons for them not attending is another topic of discussion.

3) Only players from teams in the CHAMPIONSHIP division were allowed to participate in screenings. Hence no CIC players nor any other Senior Division players were eligible. There were also quite a few Senior Division players in teams other than CIC that looked good...so it's not only CIC that was affected.

On a personal note...This arguably is not the strongest possible team from the league, however the boys are going to face tough opposition in Jamaica when they play the winners of the Manning and Da Costa competitions...the very least we should do IMHO is support the players that have been selected regardless of school, zone or personal opinions.

Schoolsoccernet will provide the usual coverage of the games as they happen in Jamaica.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>