March 29, 2024, 09:43:53 AM

Author Topic: Shaka Hislop signs up with ESPN.  (Read 15335 times)

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Shaka Hislop signs up with ESPN.
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »
Shaka Hislop signs up with ESPN.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Former National team goalkeeper Shaka Hislop has joined the broadcast teams of ESPN Soccernet Press Pass and SportsCenter program strands.
ESPN today announced the deal officially which will see the former outstanding Premiership goalie providing expert comment and analysis to both programs on a regular basis. In total, Hislop played almost 400 games in his career, the vast majority in the Premier League.
He played for West Ham in two separate spells and also played under Manager Harry Redknapp twice. He retired from football, aged 38, in August last year, after spending a season with Dallas FC in the MLS.
Hislop was one of a only a few players who, because of his dual nationality, played for England before going on to represent and captain his native Trinidad and Tobago, including at the 2006 FIFA World Cup. During the tournament he aided England’s progress through the group stages by keeping a brilliant clean sheet against their major group rivals Sweden.
“I am excited to be joining ESPN, the undisputed leader in sports broadcasting. Given my career at club and international level I think it is a great move for me and a fantastic opportunity and I am looking forward to it. After 15 years in the game as a player you are sometimes tempted to think you have seen it all. I think there are a lot of things I can bring to the viewers with my playing experience and I look forward to sharing that with others.”
A release from ESPN stated that Hislop’s commentary will appear on Africa, Middle East, the Caribbean and the Pacific Rim versions of SportsCenter and Press Pass. They will also be available in the UK on ESPNsoccernet.com. Both programs are produced in ESPN’s headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut, where the latest in digital technology and new media distribution occurs.
Hislop was previously likely to take up an offer from a Trinidad University but negotiations there stalled last year and Hislop was lured over by the network giants.
"It really wasn't too hard a decision to make eventually," Hislop told TTFF Media. "It is something I've always thought about and it gives me the chance to stay close to the game. With the playing side coming to an end I always knew I would have to head over into something else whether it be in the coaching or management aspect or in this case in the promotional side of the sport and I'm really looking forward to it," he added.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:30:17 PM by Flex »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Shaka Hislop On soccernet
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
you gotta click on "Press pass recaps FA cup 3rd round" under the video window.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Shaka Hislop signs up with ESPN.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
News above updated... (09-Jan-2008).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:38:23 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

... to paraphrase one anonymous forumite.  Better Shaka did go work for SkySports  ::)

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:53:56 PM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

... to paraphrase one anonymous forumite.  Better Shaka did go work for SkySports  ::)

Why yuh eh hush yuh cOnt ,yuh talking f**kery as usual.

''ESPN is ah shit outfit''  ??? .....Yuh eh see yuh is ah f**king DUNCE.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:01:26 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:09:21 AM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

Nothing else, nobody would ever confuse you for ah intellect...you probably think sarcasm is some kinda new STD festering in yuh crotch.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 12:14:54 AM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

Nothing else, nobody would ever confuse you for ah intellect...you probably think sarcasm is some kinda new STD festering in yuh crotch.

well ah see all yuh at it again  ;D

Keep us entertained....

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:22:10 AM »
I see de peace and goodwill season over and done with. Back to normal folks.  :rotfl:
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
Well this is a lovely morning :o
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 05:29:16 AM »
Hear nah, ah luv dis here forum.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:18:20 AM »

??? ??? ???
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »
Shaka is a natural. Good stuff

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 07:50:54 AM »
so, he sitting down and discussing football with Tommy Smits and Derrick Rae??

Més que un club.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »
Check Shaka HERE discussing the FA Cup

If de video to de right of de screen doh load, yuh could click on de link jes below it dat says "Press Pass Recaps FA Cup Third Round"

Shaka did well...not much to do or say but what he did was done well.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

??? ??? ???

That was a response to another post that was deleted.
To see his first appearance on the show go to espnsoccernet.com and on the video window on the right look for "PressPass recaps FA cup third round"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
Check Shaka HERE discussing the FA Cup

If de video to de right of de screen doh load, yuh could click on de link jes below it dat says "Press Pass Recaps FA Cup Third Round"

Shaka did well...not much to do or say but what he did was done well.
To see his first appearance on the show go to espnsoccernet.com and on the video window on the right look for "PressPass recaps FA cup third round"

Or you could just click here...
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp/index?id=3184404
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:41:46 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

Sarcasm my ass !!! good try buh hard luck,yuh reputation on dis board speaks for itself, so ah jackass statement like dat,from you,is all in line wid you talking outta turn and bumping yuh f**king ass as usual,so doh cry sarcarsm now.   

And as usual yuh wondering wha 'festering' in ah next man 'crotch' ...wham yuh cyar leave man and dey private parts on this forum alone,is like yuh reachin out for some body tuh take de bait and buss way yuh shit kit ....yuh sounding like ah lil f**king HEN on de forum only tackling man.....Steupsss
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

Sarcasm my ass !!! good try buh hard luck,yuh reputation on dis board speaks for itself, so ah jackass statement like dat,from you,is all in line wid you talking outta turn and bumping yuh f**king ass as usual,so doh cry sarcarsm now.   

And as usual yuh wondering wha 'festering' in ah next man 'crotch' ...wham yuh cyar leave man and dey private parts on this forum alone,is like yuh reachin out for some body tuh take de bait and buss way yuh shit kit ....yuh sounding like ah lil f**king HEN on de forum only tackling man.....Steupsss

....remember the days of vibes it up?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

My "reputation on dis board"...reputation with who ah ignorant asshead like you who could barely string together two coherent thoughts to make ah sentence? lol  Fella I really eh have time no more fuh de online back and forth thing, so if you want to gallery and rail up yuhself dai'z you.  For the more intelligent forumites who used to see me rate ESPN's sports coverage, I sure they got my meaning just fine...understandable that you didn't, I doh really speak dunce otherwise ah woulda help yuh out.

...as fuh this 'HEN' talk and tackling man, I could only laugh...seeing that I talk about you having ah STD make yuh jump and take de convo tuh talk ah busting way man shit kit, yuh might want to be careful about how yuh reveal yuh latent lifestyle dey.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
ESPN is ah shit outfit

Sound like clear sarcasm to me boss. At the very least, the  ::) should be the give away man.

Peace

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

Sound like clear sarcasm to me boss. At the very least, the  ::) should be the give away man.

Peace

Lawd look filho tryin to slow down two runaway train headed for ah massive head-on

Come orf de tracks filho, dem train and dem go bonks yuh dong.....den it go only be kicker left to bring logic and calm...dais not enuff, allyuh workin as ah team for years
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:58:18 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »

Peace

Lawd look filho tryin to slow down two runaway train headed for ah massive head-on

Come orf de tracks filho, dem train and dem go bonks yuh dong.....den it go only be kicker left to bring logic and calm...dais not enuff, allyuh workin as ah team for years
Good one Dutty
Filho feel he ent easy, stanin day waving he red flag on de track....... :D :D
dat only going an rile dem up more ;D ;D ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:17 PM »

Peace

Heheh..is de PA sytem ah use boss. I ent going nowhere near de tracks.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »

Peace

Heheh..is de PA sytem ah use boss. I ent going nowhere near de tracks.

Is only one train on dat track hoss, so yuh safe.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »

Now tell me how my name reach in dat?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 06:31:02 AM »
Chat with Shaka Hislop.

On Friday there's the chance for you to join ESPN's newest pundit, Shaka Hislop, for a live WebChat. Shaka this week joined the ESPNsoccernet Press Pass team alongside Derek Rae, Tommy Smyth and Janusz Michallik.
A hugely experienced goalkeeper who spent more than 10 years in the Premier League, Shaka was first spotted when playing for Howard University in the United States before moving to England with Reading.
Impressive performances for the Royals - he was twice voted Player of the Year - led to a move to Newcastle United in 1996. He spent three years at Newcastle before moving to London - where he was born - to West Ham United for the first of two spells.
Hislop's performances for the Hammers led to international recognition with Trinidad & Tobago, eventually winning 26 caps and playing at the 2006 World Cup.
After leaving West Ham he played for Portsmouth for three years before returning to Upton Park for one more season. He finished his career where it started, in the United States, with MLS side FC Dallas and retired in August 2007.
Shaka will be stopping on Friday, January 11 at 4pm GMT (11am ET). Feel free to send your questions now and we'll save them for his arrival.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 09:52:18 AM »
Lol .....

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 10:14:44 AM »
richard garcia Trinidad and tobago: Shaka you are one of the greatest trinidadians footballers. Do you think you will go into coaching?

Shaka Hislop: (11:13 AM ET ) I may coach the ESPN XI! Lol!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »
Dave: why is Jack Warner who is the FIFA VP, CONCACAF and CFU President not recognising the FPATT?

Shaka Hislop: (11:28 AM ET ) He is now. He has recently been quoted as saying "TTFF are looking forward to a very productive 2008 working alongside FPATT for the good of the T&T game". A sterling endorsement and a step in the right direction for all of us Trinbagonians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David(Trinidad and Tobago): Hey shaka just wanted to congratulate you on your new job. I still consider you to be among one of the best goalkeepers to play in the premiership. Right up there with Schmeical Snr and Cech. Keep doing your thing man and i wish you all the best in your new job. Nobody will forget the day that sweden learned where trinidad and tobago is due to your magnificant effort.

Shaka Hislop: (11:29 AM ET ) Thanks alot. That certainly was a great day for all of us in red, black and white! And even for a few of those wearing yellow! Hahaha!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Nobie: incrediblee@gmail.com Hey Shaka, like you I was born in England to Trini parents and grew up on the island. We actually just moved from McKinney, where it looks like you still have a place, and now live in DC and have friends at Howard. How has your family handled the constant locale transitions and do you know where you'll be next? Does the pundit position require you to be anywhere in particular?

Shaka Hislop: (11:32 AM ET ) It's been very tough on my family having to move every couple of years. I'll have to move to Connecticut in the near future, where I'm hoping to finally put down some roots, finally.

Anthony Myers (Monrovia, Liberia): What was it like defying the likes of Ljunberg, Ibrahimovic and Larsson in the 0-0 draw with Sweden? Did you feel that you had something to prove, say TnT is small yet you were their equal by virtue of your common European experience?

Shaka Hislop: (11:33 AM ET ) I don't we felt we had anything to prove. We went there to do our country proud, first and foremost. And to enjoy the atmosphere and the experience along the way...which we couldn't have done if we lost every game 6-0. :-)

Mike (Baltimore): Is Nic Anelka really worth almost $30 million transfer?

Shaka Hislop: (11:36 AM ET ) US$30M is not alot of money for a world class striker anymore. That's how much Spurs paid for Darren Bent. Is he better than Anelka?

Nigel Myers: Miami, FL: How does this new job affect your role as interim President of FPATT (Football Players Association of Trinidad & Tobago)?

Shaka Hislop: (11:38 AM ET ) Time will tell I guess. We do have alot of VERY capable people involved in the organization though, so it certainly is in good hands. ESPN has also been very accommodating with my schedule.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »
Celmer (Deerfield Beach, Florida: Do you indulge in smoking the natural herb?

Shaka Hislop: (11:49 AM ET ) No.

1]; } ?>