May 29, 2024, 06:03:01 AM

Author Topic: Kelvin Jack turns down chance to cancel Gillingham contract.  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kelvin Jack turns down chance to cancel Gillingham contract.
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »
Gills duo turn down chance to leave.
By Luke Cawdell (Kent Messenger)

Steve Lomas and Kelvin Jack have both turned down the chance to have their contracts at Gillingham cancelled.
Gills manager Mark Stimson is desperate to offload some of his players, so he can rebuild, but admits he's finding it tough to oust those he doesn't need.
Stimson said: "Deals that have been given out before I came here were too long with too much money and we've got a problem now.
"We've got players who are sitting on two-year contracts who are not going to shift unless you pay them serious amounts of money."
Lomas, who has failed to produce following his highly-acclaimed transfer in the summer, is one player Stimson feels is surplus to requirements.
He said: "In this modern day you have to be able to get around the pitch. Steve Lomas has been a fantastic football player. He played over 40 times for his country but I feel at the moment his legs are not what I'm looking for.
"We've tried to speak to him on a few occasions to try and do a settlement but he's not entertaining that at the moment.
"That's disappointing because we haven't gone light on it, we've been really on the mark where you would expect to get paid off, but we have to get on with it."
Stimson is also trying to tempt Trinidad international Kelvin Jack into leaving.
"As a professional footballer you have to be strong in the mind," said Stimson.
"We're talking about an international player. How much do you want to play? How much do you want to train? He's another one who I think we've put a reasonable offer over to and has refused it.
"Why? Are some people happy pulling their money? I think so.
"For all that Kelvin's done in the game - and he's done better than me - it's certainly now got to be time for him to move on. He's not going to get a chance here.
"He's on fantastic money and that might be the unfortunate part for Gillingham Football Club."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:11:49 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Kelvin Jack turns down chance to cancel Gillingham contract
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »
they does ask yuh to quit too???
lawdahmercy
I wasnt going no where unless another team was lined up for me
if thing so bad take a paycut yuhself, i go take a small one too

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
Clearly Jack has no other options and that's why he's staying where he's not wanted. No wonder he's willing to appeal the case against his agent.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »
I feel I should put the record straight here.

Kelvin has been fit and available since the beginning of the season. His team mates have told me he is absoloutely on fire in training. The reason he has not been selected is that the Gillingham chairman felt that Kelvin did not disclose that he was carrying an injury when he signed for Gillingham.

Whether or not tht is true, surely it is up to the club to check the fitness of a player before signing?

Kelvin is keen to play first team football at Gillingham or elsewhere. It is true, however, that the other Gillingham keeper, Royce, is playing well at the moment. But Kelvin has been told that even if Royce is injured, he still won't be selected.

Finally, and I speak from personal knowledge, Kelvin's contract is around average for a league one player, and, given his International experience, should be much higher. I know of a league 2 goalkeeper with less than 5 caps for a lesser nation than T&T who earns 50% more than Kelvin.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

Kelvin has been fit and available since the beginning of the season. His team mates have told me he is absoloutely on fire in training. The reason he has not been selected is that the Gillingham chairman felt that Kelvin did not disclose that he was carrying an injury when he signed for Gillingham.

Whether or not tht is true, surely it is up to the club to check the fitness of a player before signing?

FPATT, I couldn't agree more.  So is the player's responsibility to tell the team he injured?  Is dem damn fault and they don't want to acknowledge it.  Every team does a physical on their players.  Plus, if I am correct, I do believe this injury had been a one he had before (FPATT correct me if I am incorrect).  They get the man at a good rate and now b/c the man hurt doh want to pay him, that eh right.  And we all think professional football easy!!  Hang in there Kelvin and fight them.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
Whether or not that is true, surely it is up to the club to check the fitness of a player before signing?
buh wha de arse wrong wid dat Chairman
did he just say that his club was negligent  ::) in signing Kelvin, if so, HE SHOULD RESIGN....ELOHSSA
he should be runnin fowl not ah Football Club...steeeeuuuups
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »

FPATT, I couldn't agree more.  So is the player's responsibility to tell the team he injured?  Is dem damn fault and they don't want to acknowledge it.  Every team does a physical on their players.  Plus, if I am correct, I do believe this injury had been a one he had before (FPATT correct me if I am incorrect).  They get the man at a good rate and now b/c the man hurt doh want to pay him, that eh right.  And we all think professional football easy!!  Hang in there Kelvin and fight them.

Yes, mate. It was the injury that kept him out of the World Cup matches. Even then, he started the season. When he had to pull out because of the injury, Gillingham had no reserve keeper. Because they had to loan keepers, they rushed him back, which worsened the injury again.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Because they had to loan keepers, they rushed him back, which worsened the injury again.
so wait FPATT could I ask a chupid question here
If Kelvin was injured could he not say "No, I am NOT Playing till I get better" ?
I confused here
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
Stay strong Kelvin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
Same Gills chairman who had a problem with Sancho?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »
Because they had to loan keepers, they rushed him back, which worsened the injury again.
If Kelvin was injured could he not say "No, I am NOT Playing till I get better" ?
I confused here

WC, a player can refuse to play if he has the support of the physio to confirm his lack of fitness. One of my friends at Notts Forest was injured, but although he felt ready to return, the physio said he was still two weeks away from match fitness. At his previous club, who had a much smaller squad, he would have been rushed back.

With Kelvin, he was put under pressure to return early,as there was no reserve keeper at Gillingham. Also, Kelvin did not want to let the club down and, of course, wanted to play as much as possible. At bigger clubs, the decision is made for you, whereas at smaller clubs they would play you in a plaster cast if they were short on players.

Thats why I wonder if Carlos will play for T&T next month. If I was Roy Keane, I wouldn't want him rushing back and travelling to Trini for a friendly. His place in the team is secure. I would much rather he eased his way back into Sunderland. That way, he should be at his best come the qualifiers.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
I confused here

WC, a player can refuse to play if he has the support of the physio to confirm his lack of fitness. One of my friends at Notts Forest was injured, but although he felt ready to return, the physio said he was still two weeks away from match fitness. At his previous club, who had a much smaller squad, he would have been rushed back.

With Kelvin, he was put under pressure to return early,as there was no reserve keeper at Gillingham. Also, Kelvin did not want to let the club down and, of course, wanted to play as much as possible. At bigger clubs, the decision is made for you, whereas at smaller clubs they would play you in a plaster cast if they were short on players.

Thats why I wonder if Carlos will play for T&T next month. If I was Roy Keane, I wouldn't want him rushing back and travelling to Trini for a friendly. His place in the team is secure. I would much rather he eased his way back into Sunderland. That way, he should be at his best come the qualifiers.

I agree with you on Carlos and the injuries issue.  Shoot, professional teams put their players under intense pressure to perform. Coaches are under intense pressure to produce results and you want you best team on the pitch which is why this type of nonsense happens.  It's easy for us to say we not playing but like in Kelvin's position he lost both ways or are losing both ways.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 03:59:50 PM »
Clearly Jack has no other options and that's why he's staying where he's not wanted. No wonder he's willing to appeal won the case against his agent.

Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »
Clearly Jack has no other options and that's why he's staying where he's not wanted. No wonder he's willing to appeal won the case against his agent.

I was waiting for you to update us on that...can you expound or was this settled with a 'gag' order?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »

I believe that Kelvin and his lawyer will be making a statement in the near future.

I was waiting for you to update us on that...can you expound or was this settled with a 'gag' order?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kelvin Jack turns down chance to cancel Gillingham contract.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »
Carlos should not play until absolutely fit. He was injured twice. He should put this friendly on hold until he has a couple PFL games under his belt. Sunderland is his bread and butter at this moment.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Kelvin Jack turns down chance to cancel Gillingham contract.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »
Carlos should not play until absolutely fit. He was injured twice. He should put this friendly on hold until he has a couple PFL games under his belt.

PFL? He back playing with defence force or what?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>