April 24, 2024, 12:57:33 AM

Author Topic: Which Stadiums in South Africa have the Ability to Host World Cup games?  (Read 3369 times)

TrinInfinite

I don't know much about the football venues in south africa, but I am curious to know which cities have World Class stadia, for example I know maybe Cape Town and Jo'Berg may have them but where else?

I also thinking that a trip to South Africa will require at least a month vacation, I don't want to go Africa for a lil 2 weeks, that to me is a waste, especially if your going the motherland...

Also it is wise you go with a group, Jo'Berg is serious when it comes to murder and crime in general. Things I was also thinking about is the public transportation and whether you need to rent a car, or is there a train system, subway system available to take you from city to city. Definately something the fans should look into well in advance because I do think we are going the World Cup... JMHO

God is de BOSS....

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Which Stadiums in South Africa have the Ability to Host World Cup games?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:58:43 AM »
I don't know much about the football venues in south africa, but I am curious to know which cities have World Class stadia, for example I know maybe Cape Town and Jo'Berg may have them but where else?

I also thinking that a trip to South Africa will require at least a month vacation, I don't want to go Africa for a lil 2 weeks, that to me is a waste, especially if your going the motherland...

Also it is wise you go with a group, Jo'Berg is serious when it comes to murder and crime in general. Things I was also thinking about is the public transportation and whether you need to rent a car, or is there a train system, subway system available to take you from city to city. Definately something the fans should look into well in advance because I do think we are going the World Cup... JMHO

God is de BOSS....

South Africa have everything in terms of structure, places like Durham & Cape Town are very modern.
Violent Crime is a real, real, real concern . Speaking with some tennis players last week who were in Durham, they got robbed right outside their hotel & one member got stabbed.
Plenty to see, so Renting a car is easy and great to get around, but doh make ah wrong turn. Car jacking rampant, in most cases ending in death. Hopefully the SA Government & police have a plan.

Don't mean to sound this way, but there exist a certain reality at present in SA. So plan well.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
Johannesburg - Soccer City

Soccer City is the jewel in South Africa's crown, built in 1987 and with a capacity of 94,700 (excluding Media and VIP's) it is sure to offer a great atmosphere for the lucky few that get tickets and hopefully as the stadium to be used for the first game, provide an excellent springboard for a magnificent tournament.

For 2010, the upper tier will be extended around the stadium, an encircling roof will be constructed, new changing room facilities will be developed and new floodlights will be installed.

Johannesburg - Ellis Park

Ellis Park was constructed in 1982 as a modern, integrated stadium offering outstanding sight lines from every seat. The Stadium stands within a world class sporting precinct, barely 15 minutes' walk from the Johannesburg City Centre, and offers outstanding office, security and medical features.

For 2010, new upper tiers will be constructed behind each of the goals, at the north and south ends of the venue, increasing the net capacity by 10,149 seats to a total 60,000.

Ellis Park will host one quarter final match.

Cape Town

Cape Town is building a new stadium for the 2010 World Cup in the suburb of Greenpoint, 500 metres from the Atlantic Ocean with Table Mountain as a backdrop.

Upon completion, the stadium should seat 70,000.

Durban - Senzangakhona stadium

Durban will boast the new Senzangakhona stadium, unveiled on June 15th 2006 at Durban's ICC by KwaZulu-Natal's Premier Sbu Ndebele and eThekwini Mayor Councillor Obed Mlaba.

The stadium will be built on the site of the existing King's Park stadium and has been designed as a first-class multi-purpose sporting facility with a seating capacity of 70,000.

The stadium is named after one of the founding fathers of the Zulu nation, King Senzangakhona.

Nelspruit - Mbombela Stadium

Construction of the new Mbombela Stadium on open land just eight kilometres north of Nelspruit will confirm the recently rising fortunes of this far north-eastern corner of South Africa.

The Mbombela Stadium has been designed to ensure it enjoys a prosperous life beyond the tournament as an adaptable, relevant multi-sport, entertainment and exhibition venue.

The stadium will be specifically constructed to ensure that it meets all FIFA Requirements and presents a compact and attractive venue for both first and second round matches with a capacity of just over 40,000.

Rustenburg - Royal Bafokeng Sports

Only minor renovations will be required to bring the Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace into line with requirements for a stadium able to host first and second round matches at the 2010 World Cup. The stadium will have a capacity of just over 40,000.

For 2010, essentially cosmetic measures such as installation of new electronic scoreboards and upgrading of the floodlights and public address system will render the Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace ready to welcome the football supporters of the world.

Pretoria - Loftus Versfeld stadium

The main west stand of the Loftus Versfeld stadium was completely rebuilt in 1977, and the other three stands have been rebuilt since, creating an impressive arena, that rises steeply on all sides and incorporates some of the country's finest facilities for corporate hospitality.

Minimal upgrading will be required for the stadium to qualify as a venue for first and second round matches, but the floodlights, sound system and scoreboards will all be improved. The stadium has a capacity of 45,000 and this will probably rise to 50,000 for the World Cup.

Polokwane - Peter Mokaba Stadium

The roof over the existing west stand of the Peter Mokaba Stadium will be removed and replaced by a roof that covers the entire western stand of the new Stadium.

An additional 20 rows of seating will be built around the entire stadium to increase capacity to 40,000.

In addition to the structural work, the Peter Mokaba stadium will be provided with first rate equipment, including an electronic scoreboard in the northern stand, new floodlights, a modern sound system and a fire detection and protection system.

Port Elizabeth - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

The Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium will have a capacity of 49,500 and will be a multi purpose facility launched at the World Cup in 2010.

Bloemfontein - Free State Stadium

In advance of 2010, a second tier will be added to the main grandstand of the Free State Stadium on the western side of the ground, increasing the net capacity beyond the 40,000-mark required for venues to stage first and second round matches.

Additionally, new turnstiles will be erected, the floodlights will be upgraded, electronic scoreboards will be installed and the sound system will be revamped to the required standards.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
 :applause: :applause:
good job day Jah Gol
Tanks
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »
good job day Jah Gol
Tanks
google is my friend

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

T&T welcomes back...the King

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:25:53 PM »
real nice stadiums  :beermug: bess stadiums :beermug: but the crime is real bad, u need 2 plan well...

God is de BOSS...

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
real nice stadiums  :beermug: bess stadiums :beermug: but the crime is real bad, u need 2 plan well...

God is de BOSS...

Crime is extremely serious, I think the SA Gov't would come up with some plans to control it though (I hope), the negative fallout could be disastrous if they give Africa an even worse image than they already have.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
good job day Jah Gol
Tanks
google is my friend

I doh know why man does ask for ting before they look it up...  ::)
But I jus Bitter...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »
Even before they were awarded the WC, S. African has had pretty good and well maintained facilities. I always thought they had the best in all of Africa. Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia have good facilities also, but not as numerious as SA.

1]; } ?>