April 19, 2024, 07:21:03 PM

Author Topic: 2008 australian open  (Read 6898 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2008 australian open
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »
serena lookin to defend her title and also earn a 9th title.while meh boi federer will be in smashin form.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 australian open
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
I heard that he isn't feeling too well? 
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »
She look big!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:40 PM »
I heard that he isn't feeling too well? 
fear not.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
Federer, Djokovic roll at Aussie OpenAssociated Press
Updated: January 15, 2008, 12:59 PM EST 10 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Top-ranked Roger Federer showed no lasting effects from a nasty stomach bug, routing Diego Hartfield of Argentina 6-0, 6-3, 6-0 Tuesday to open his quest of a third consecutive Australian Open title.

The illness forced Federer to pull out of last week's exhibition tournament at Kooyong, interrupting his preparations as he seeks to pull within one of Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam championships.
"I'm very happy to be back playing," Federer said. "I'm not sick very often so it was a bit of a scare."

Playing a match on the new blue Plexicushion surface in Rod Laver Arena for the first time, he looked just a tad rusty in the first game, with Hartfield getting his only break-point opportunity.

The Swiss star, dressed in all black, quickly found his form and began ripping winners from all over the court, quashing any suggestions that he might be vulnerable for an early upset.

On a perfect night for tennis, Federer was often perfect, running off the first nine games and the last seven. He finished off the match with his 11th ace. With 38 winners and just 14 unforced errors — none in the third set — he compiled twice as many points as Hartfield, 84-42.

"I was playing well in practice, moving well, serving well," Federer said. "I knew that, with the full crowd, I'll play even better. And with the adrenaline rush, you push yourself even more.

"So I knew I'll come out here tonight and probably play pretty good, you know. But the result was that extreme, I didn't expect that. But I'm really happy about it. Wish it was like this every night."

Hartfield was left in awe.

"I had to play perfect to have a chance to make it tight," he said. "I was trying to play my tennis, believe I can win. Right at the beginning, I can see I had no chance. He did everything so good.

"I can't imagine how it's possible to beat him if he plays like this."

The tournament experienced its first crowd violence problem as Greece's Konstantinos Economidis played last year's losing finalist, seventh-seeded Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.

Tournament officials said play was interrupted for five minutes while police sprayed three people with pepper spray. Five were evicted.

Gonzalez won in straight sets.

Third-ranked Novak Djokovic showed he has recovered from the exhaustion at the end of last year, when he played 87 matches, more than any other men's player. He looked refreshed, sharp and hungry again as he beat Benjamin Becker 6-0, 6-2, 7-6 (5).

His brief offseason consisted of ... nothing.

"I tried not to do anything. That's a real rest," said Djokovic, seeded third after coming in at No. 16 last year.

After the match, the television commentator implored Djokovic to do one of his impressions of another player — specifically Maria Sharapova — that have generated huge attention on Youtube.

At first, he resisted — "I don't want to offend anybody," he said — before doing a good impersonation, right down to the Russian player's tendency to brush strands of her long blonde hair back over her ears.

No. 10 David Nalbandian, who beat Federer and Rafael Nadal at consecutive tournaments to win the Madrid and Paris titles, recovered from back spasms that forced him out of the Kooyong exhibition to oust Australian Robert Smeets.

Former U.S. Open and Wimbledon winner Lleyton Hewitt started his 12th bid to become the first homegrown winner of the national championship since 1976 by downing Steve Darcis of Belgium.

No. 12 James Blake beat Nicolas Massu, and Marcos Baghdatis, who lost the 2006 final, defeated 2002 champion Thomas Johansson.

Marat Safin, who lost the 2002 final but made amends with the title here in 2005, next faces Baghdatis after overcoming Latvia's Ernests Gulbis.

Fifth-ranked David Ferrer ousted Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France, but No. 17 Ivan Ljubicic lost to Robin Haase of the Netherlands.

France's 35-year-old Fabrice Santoro broke Andre Agassi's record for most Grand Slam appearances in the Open era when he beat American John Isner in straight sets to kick off his 62nd major, including 38 in a row.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
Good to see Fedex still in there and looking good it seems.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:27:24 AM »
Sharapova stops Davenport, Henin advancesAssociated Press
Updated: January 16, 2008, 6:23 AM EST 4 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Fifth-ranked Maria Sharapova put an end to new mom Lindsey Davenport's strong comeback, taking a 6-1, 6-3 victory Wednesday to reach the Australian Open third round.

The eagerly awaited match pitted Davenport, who was 19-1 with three titles since returning to the tour, against a former Grand Slam winner for the first time since she took maternity leave to give birth to son Jagger last June.

"From the day I found out, I started working for this game," Sharapova said of the draw. "I approached it like it's a final."

Locked in and sharp from the start, Sharapova yielded only six points in the first five games, keeping Davenport constantly on the run. Nothing much was going right for Davenport, who saw her serves come back for winners and passing shots zip past when she ventured to the net.

The crowd, which had started roughly divided in their support of the two players, with a sprinkling of American flags scattered around packed Rod Laver Arena, largely shifted to underdog Davenport and cheered loudly when she finally held for her first game to pull to 5-1.

"I wish I could've given them a little more to cheer for," Davenport said. "Obviously I wanted to play a little better than I did in the beginning, but she was really aggressive on me.

"She was head and shoulders better than I was. I felt like I never really hit the ball that well, and I'm in trouble when I'm not hitting the ball well."

Sharapova held to finish off the set in 26 minutes with a crisp backhand cross-court winner.

In the second set, Davenport started showing flashes of the skills that carried her to three Grand Slam titles and the No. 1 ranking. She fended off triple-break point while serving at 3-3 before Sharapova cashed a fourth with a sharply angled backhand service return winner.

Sharapova, who never gave up more than two points in her eight service games, held, then broke Davenport for the fifth time when the American netted a forehand on Sharapova's second match point.

"Obviously I'm disappointed with the way this match went and this tournament went, but I have to look big picture at this point in my career, and so far it's gone pretty well the last few months," Davenport said. "I still feel like I'm the luckiest girl in the world."

Sharapova, who lost last year's final to Serena Williams, finished with 26 winners to just 12 unforced errors.

Williams and top-ranked Justine Henin scored straight-set victories earlier that weren't as easy as the scores indicated to move a step closer to a possible semifinal showdown.

Williams was the aggressor in a 6-3, 6-1 win over Meng Yuan, hitting so hard on virtually every shot that she seemed to be trying to reduce the ball to bits of fluff.

"My game was definitely a good game to play someone like her," said Williams, who prefers to match her power against anyone else's. "I really enjoy the battle. I was able to practice my groundstroke game a lot."

Pushing her record at Melbourne Park to 25-1 since 2003, Williams ran off the last four games, breaking Yuan with a backhand crosscourt passing shot on match point that the Chinese player let drop, only to see it clip the line.

Henin looked to be on her way to an easy victory over Russia's Olga Poutchkova, running through the first set in 22 minutes while committing just five unforced errors.

But the hard-hitting Poutchkova began picking up her game, and Henin appeared to be bothered by the gusty winds that made every service toss an adventure, complicated on one side by a bright midday sun.

Henin had five double-faults in her first two service games of the second set, contributing to nine break points for Poutchkova. Henin had 20 unforced errors to nine winners in the set, but was clearly happy to have survived.

"I played a very good first set, then I lost some intensity," said Henin, who skipped Melbourne last year because she was going through a divorce and had to default in the 2006 final because of a stomach illness.

No. 18 Amelie Mauresmo, who won when Henin pulled out of the 2006 final, needed 10 match points to beat Yaroslava Shvedova of Russia. Also advancing were third-seeded Jelena Jankovic, No. 11 Elena Dementieva, No. 12 Nicole Vaidisova and No. 17 Shahar Peer. But 2004 semifinalist Patty Schnyder, seeded 15th, lost to Australia's Casey Dellacqua.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
anybody watch federer run a clinic last nite? cant remember the name of the opponent..think they called him the magician or sumting so. But it was really good to watch, Federer really is jus pure class!
Back in Trini...

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 06:19:25 AM »
Yeah I watched a bit of it. I just couldn't watch to the end. Federer's truely one of a kind.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »
Roddick knocked out in five setsAssociated Press
Updated: January 18, 2008, 4:21 PM EST 64 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Andy Roddick ran out of ways to vent his anger.

He berated the chair umpire. He cracked his racket. He pulled out of a serve and yelled at the crowd to "shut up." He also reeled off a personal best 42 aces — three in one game to save match points — but none of it unnerved Philipp Kohlschreiber at the Australian Open.
Year Result
2002 Lost in second round
2003 Lost in semifinals
2004 Lost in quarterfinals
2005 Lost in semifinals
2006 Lost in fourth round
2007 Lost in semifinals
2008 Lost in third round

The 29th-ranked German won 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (9), 6-7 (3), 8-6 in a third-round match that started after 10 p.m. Friday and finished at 2:04 a.m. Saturday.

"I took his best stuff for five sets and I thought I was going to get him to break or to fold," Roddick said. "I thought if I kept it on him long enough that that would happen. Tonight he played like a great, great player. There's no doubt about that."

Roddick, seeded sixth, produced some impressive numbers, in addition to the aces. He made 72 percent of his first serves and committed only three double-faults. However, he broke his opponent only once.

"The whole match for me was perfect," Kohlschreiber said. "Just amazing, to start the year like this and beating such a good guy is the best thing that has happened to me in tennis."

Kohlschreiber reached the fourth round only once before at 14 previous Grand Slam tournaments, and that ended in a straight-sets loss to Roddick.

For Roddick, this match had the feel almost from the start of his five-hour marathon against Younes El Aynaoui five years ago in a quarterfinal in Australia. Then 20, Roddick won an Open era longest fifth set 21-19 in a match that finished after 2:30 a.m., also under the roof at Rod Laver Arena.

"Yeah, I thought about it," Roddick said.

Roddick came into the tournament after leading the United States to its first Davis Cup title since 1995 and winning the Kooyong exhibition tuneup for the third straight time. He left with his quest for a second major to go with his 2003 U.S. Open title still unfulfilled.

"It's rough, yeah, but that's sports, man," Roddick said. "If you don't want an emotional rollercoaster, if you want to be serene and kind of chilled out all day, then get a job serving Margaritas at the beach.

"When you decide to be a pro athlete you're going to have ups, you're going to have downs, you're going to have extreme highs and extreme lows. That's just the nature of the beast."

No. 2 Rafael Nadal saved six set points in the first against Frenchman Gilles Simon before winning 7-5, 6-2, 6-3. The Spaniard faces another Frenchman in the fourth round after No. 23 Paul-Henri Mathieu rallied for a 4-6, 7-6 (4), 2-6, 7-5, 8-6 win over Austria's Stefan Koubek.

"In every tournament, you have to overcome difficult moments. It's important, because you feel the pressure," Nadal said. "It's important to play in difficult moments and is important to have alternatives when the things are not doing very well."

No. 4 Nikolay Davydenko beat France's Marc Gicquel and next plays fellow Russian Mikhail Youzhny, a 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 winner over Croatia's Ivo Karlovic.

A section of the draw that could have offered a fourth-round showdown between friends and U.S. Davis Cup teammates — Roddick and Mardy Fish — will now feature Kohlschreiber against No. 24 Jarkko Nieminen, who beat Fish in four sets.

Nine hours after Kohlschreiber and Roddick left the court, No. 2 Svetlana Kuznetsova was to start the second half of the third round Saturday morning against Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska.

In other women's matches, Wimbledon champion Venus Williams takes on No. 31 Sania Mirza of India.

Roger Federer, seeking a third consecutive Australian title, is third match on center court against Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic. Lleyton Hewitt and Marcos Baghatis, losing finalists in 2005 and '06, meet in what could be another marathon at night.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Federer survives scare; Hewitt wins epicAssociated Press
Updated: January 19, 2008, 4:22 PM EST 5 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - fstl:categorylink categoryId="111476">Roger Federer took his time about this one — needing 4 1/2 hours and five sets to advance at the Australian Open.

Lleyton Hewitt took things a step further. The Aussie set a record for the latest finish for a day's play at a Grand Slam. He beat 2006 runner-up Marcos Baghdatis 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-3, completing the marathon at 4:33 a.m. local time Sunday.

American James Blake rallied from two sets down to defeat Sebastien Grosjean of France and Novak Djokovic, Tomas Berdych, and unseeded Marin Cilic were also winners on a day marked by rain.

Hewitt and Baghdatis went on court at 11:47 p.m. Saturday, the last scheduled match at Rod Laver Arena on Day 6, and Hewitt ripped a forehand winner on his fifth match point 4 hours, 45 minutes later.

There was never a letup in the tension. Starting when Federer was forced to rally before outlasting 49th-ranked Janko Tipsarevic 6-7 (5), 7-6 (1), 5-7, 6-1, 10-8 to reach the fourth round of the tournament he has won the last two years.

That pushed back the night session two hours.

Venus Williams beat Sania Mirza in straight sets in the first night match. Then Hewitt was up two sets to one and 5-1 in the fourth when things started to go wrong. He wasted one match point in the eighth game of that set and three more in the ninth game of the fifth before he broke Baghdatis to finish off the day.

"It wasn't easy for both of us. Obviously, an incredible day of tennis. For Roger Federer to go five sets, how often does that happen?" Hewitt said. "It's tough for everyone. Marcos and I are in the same boat."

Hewitt next plays No. 3 seed Djokovic, who beat American Sam Querrey 6-3, 6-1, 6-3. Djokovic, the U.S. Open finalist, is Serbia's highest-ranked player.

Tipsarevic, who has never reached a singles final, could be closing the gap on him after playing the match of his life and gave Federer everything he could handle with the packed crowd screaming on every point.

"I went on court with the idea that I can win," the Serbian said. "I was close. I lost because he was better in the important moments of the match."

Federer, seeking his 13th Grand Slam crown, needed each of his personal best 39 aces — 14 more than his previous mark in one match — to fend off the 2001 Australian Open junior champion.

Lleyton Hewitt needed 4 hours and 45 minutes to take down Marcos Baghdatis in Melbourne. (Dita Alangkara / Associated Press)

"I don't often get to play five-setters unless they're against Nadal at Wimbledon," Federer said, referring to his rivalry with No. 2 Rafael Nadal. "It was good to be part of something like this. It's a pity you can't have draws in tennis."

He beat Nadal in five sets in the Wimbledon final last year.

Federer has reached the finals of the last 10 Grand Slam events, winning eight of them and losing two to Nadal — both at the French Open.

Federer was untouchable in his first two matches, dropping only six games in six sets. He had numerous chances to take control, but Tipsarevic saved 16 of 20 break points against him until Federer finally cashed No. 21 after rallying from 40-0 as the Serbian served at 8-8 in the fifth set.

"I had to block out all the chances I missed," said Federer, who next faces No. 13 seed Berdych, a four-set winner over No. 21 Juan Monaco. "He came up with some fantastic plays and played me well."

Tipsarevic said his strategy was simple.

"Be aggressive, and then try to make him work for the points that he's winning. "Against Roger it's so hard, because he's playing every point. Even when you're up like 40-0, the game is far, far from over."

Blake was only two points from joining Andy Roddick and Fernando Gonzalez as an upset third-round loser at the Australian Open.

Blake rallied from down two sets, then from a double break in the fourth before beating veteran Frenchman Grosjean 4-6, 2-6, 6-0, 7-6 (5), 6-2 on Saturday afternoon.

The 12th-seeded Blake, who has never gone past the quarterfinals at a Grand Slam, will play a fourth-round match against the 19-year-old Cilic, who beat last year's finalist Fernando Gonzalez 6-2, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-1.

Blake started to turn it around as Grosjean, who committed only 15 unforced errors in the first two sets, had 13 in the third.

Grosjean, making his 10th appearance at Melbourne Park, wasn't finished.

Counter-attacking against Blake's go-for-broke style, he broke twice in the fourth set to pull ahead 4-1 before Blake ran off four games in a row.

Grosjean saved a set point while serving at 4-5 and, in the tiebreaker, took a 4-1 and then 5-3 lead. But Blake took the last four points, three on clean winners. He hopped around the court, shouting "Yeah! Yeah!" when he leveled the match on a serve that Grosjean whacked long.

James Blake rallied from two sets down to beat Sebastien Grosjean. (Mark Baker / Associated Press)

That seemed to take the steam out of Grosjean. Blake broke serve twice as he opened up a 5-1 lead in the deciding set. He held at love to finish off the match in 3 hours, 8 minutes.

After losing nine matches that were decided in five sets, Blake has won his last two — here and in the second round at the last U.S. Open against another Frenchman, Fabrice Santoro.

"That's got to be my biggest comeback — down two sets to love, two sets to one, two breaks; 4-1 in the breaker, 5-3 in the breaker," Blake said. "Just seemed like every time there was a mountain to climb ... couldn't have been a better feeling than to accomplish what I did."

Blake said the key was keeping calm.

"I don't think a lot of people like my chances, but I always do - no matter what my body language says."

Seventh-ranked Gonzalez, who used his powerful forehand to reach the final here last year, never settled into a rhythm.

"It was probably the best match of my life," said Cilic, who had never gone past the first round in three previous majors.

The 6-foot-5 Cilic had 14 aces against one of the better service returners.

Gonzalez, who beat Federer in the opening match at the Masters Cup in November, had only 19 winners against 31 unforced errors.

While a few Serbian flags were scattered about Rod Laver Arena — the roof was closed because of rain that postponed matches on outside courts — Federer fans dominated, including one holding a sign reading "Federer Express."

The Swiss star was nearly derailed before extending his winning streak at Melbourne Park to 17 matches, tied for fourth-best behind Andre Agassi's record of 26 in a row.

Federer, who last lost a set in this event while beating Baghdatis in the final two years ago, started in top form again, ripping seven aces in his first four service games. But the Serbian, looking like a grad student in his dark-rimmed glasses and short beard, forced a tiebreaker, where the only point that went against serve came with Federer facing set point at 5-6. Tipsarevic ripped a forehand crosscourt pass that dropped just inside the corner.

Tipsarevic fended off five break points in the second set before faltering in the tiebreaker. Tipsarevic rallied from 15-40 while serving at 4-5 in the third set, then broke in the next game as Federer lost two aces to successful challenges by Tipsarevic, who then held for the set.

As he has done so often, Federer seemed to find an extra gear, running off five straight games to take the fourth set and even the match.

Tipsarevic saved two break points while serving at 2-2 in the deciding set, then a match point at 8-8 before Federer nailed a backhand volley winner to take the last break. Federer held for the match when Tipsarevic netted a backhand to end it in 4 hours, 27 minutes.

Federer shouted in relief as he pumped his fist.

"What a great victory," he said.

Hewitt wasted chances, including a match point in the eighth game of the fourth set.

After letting a 5-1 lead slip in the fourth set, Hewitt ensured he'd pass the record for the latest finishing match at a major when he held for a 6-5 lead at 3:34 a.m. — the same time Italy's Andreas Seppi finished off Bobby Reynolds in a 6-1, 6-7 (4), 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 6-3 match in the first round in Australia last year.

He broke Baghdatis twice in the fifth, the second after the Cypriot saved triple match point and was laughing almost deliriously with each.

"That's why I dream — for matches like this," Baghdatis said. "It's a pleasure ... even losing it."

He just missed becoming the first man at the Australian Open to beat three Grand Slam champions in consecutive rounds. He opened with wins over two former Australian champions — Thomas Johansson (2002) and Safin.

Hewitt ranked the win among his best in a career that includes U.S. Open and Wimbledon titles.

"Tonight is definitely up there," he said. "Marcos has beaten two Grand Slam winners in his first rounds. He hasn't had an easy draw to get through at all. He's a tough guy to finish off."

Rain delayed matches on all outside courts Saturday, with play continuing at Rod Laver Arena and at Vodafone Arena, the other stadium at Melbourne Park with a retractable roof.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:49:50 AM »
Federer, Blake to meet in Aussie Open quartersAssociated Press
Updated: January 21, 2008, 7:00 AM EST 4 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Roger Federer advanced to the quarterfinals at the Australian Open as usual. James Blake did for the first time.

Federer, aiming for a third consecutive Australian title and a fourth in five years, had to save two set points in the tiebreaker en route to a 6-4, 7-6 (7), 6-3 fourth-round win over No. 13 Tomas Berdych on Monday.

The Swiss star is into his fifth straight quarterfinal at Melbourne Park and next will play Blake.

Blake beat 19-year-old Croatian Marin Cilic 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 on Margaret Court Arena to equal his best run at a major following quarterfinal appearances at the U.S. Open in 2005 and '06.

That was the good news. The bad: he lost to Federer in four sets at the '06 U.S. Open quarterfinals.

Federer was taken to 10-8 in the fifth set of his third-round match against Janko Tipsaravic, and was happier with a quicker finish.

"I like this one today better, after all," he said. "I'm quite pleased with the result, pulling up from a tough match.

"Tomas played well and is always a danger. Every time he hits a great ball."

Red Swiss flags were scattered around the stadium, but Berdych had the most vocal support, a rowdy group of about two dozen in the upper deck that included young men with the Czech flag painted on their faces and letters of Berdych's name on their bare chests.

Federer was pushed again, with one good shot by either man often not enough to win a point. But under pressure, he played his best while Berdych faltered.

Berdych, with a strong serve and sharp groundstrokes, had a tendency for poorly executed drop shots at critical times. He dumped one into the net while getting broken for the only time in the first set while serving at 4-4, then again serving at 6-5 in the second-set tiebreaker after Federer rallied from 2-5.

Berdych squandered a second set point at 7-6 when he flailed a forehand long off an easy short ball, and Federer ran off the last three points.

Always a great frontrunner, Federer got an early break in the third set, then held the rest of the way, dropping only four points in his five service games.

He finished in 1 hour and 59 minutes - 2 1/2 hours less than his five-setter in the last round.

Fifth-seeded David Ferrer, who lost to Federer in the Masters Cup final in November, beat fellow Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. He will play third-ranked Novak Djokovic, who ousted the last Australian hope when he defeated No. 19 Lleyton Hewitt 7-5, 6-3, 6-3.

Hewitt didn't have his usual high energy level after beating Marcos Baghdatis in five sets in his previous match, which didn't end until 4:33 a.m. Sunday. That match was delayed by the length of Federer's victory over Tipsarevic.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »
federer should dispose of blake with not much resistance.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
I ain't go lie but it have some seriously damn good young blood coming up from Serbia.
Lawd, and ah cyah even pronounce dey name good.

Federer almost give me ah heart attack what night it was. Djokovic had dey man give ah extra sweat.
To me that was the best match seen up to now.

Blake had the wind to thank for his win over Marin Cilic.  <my opinon>

Somebody complain dat dey balls and dem too hard, that is why dey lose....was that Hewitt or Roddick ???

steupse.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:23:20 PM »
I'm not sure of the wind thing Cana with Blake.The opponent against Federer was Tipsarevic, not Djokovic. People have been saying it looks like Djokovic has a good chance of a win if he meets Federer in the semifinals. I will put my money on the fedex anyday. 
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
I'm not sure of the wind thing Cana with Blake.The opponent against Federer was Tipsarevic, not Djokovic. People have been saying it looks like Djokovic has a good chance of a win if he meets Federer in the semifinals. I will put my money on the fedex anyday. 

You are correct sir, I was looking at the replays again this evening with Federer and Tipsarevic. I was too lazy to come back online to change my error.
But with Blake, even the commentators said the wind will PLAY major part in the match even before it started. So said so done.

Federer go mashup the last American male player.  I like Blake eh. The man have ah powerful serve.

Anyway Fed taking straight sets.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Serena done.
She never look like she wanted to play. I'd love to hear her excuse at the press conference.

On a related note:
Jankovic pan hard. She giving off a real American Gladiators vibe in this pic.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 10:32:51 PM »
now finished watching serena play jankovic...I eh go lie I like Jankovic attitude. She seems to really enjoy her tennis and jokes around a bit. Serena from the beginning looked like something was wrong. However it will be interesting to see if she will be healthy enough to play her doubles match later in the day!
Back in Trini...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
Jankovic moves on to semis, sends Serena homeAssociated Press
Updated: January 21, 2008, 11:29 PM EST 8 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Defending champion Serena Williams slumped out of the Australian Open in a 6-3, 6-4 quarterfinal loss to third-ranked Jelena Jankovic on Tuesday.

Williams, who was unseeded and ranked No. 81 when she won here last year for her eighth Grand Slam title, struggled with her serve and made 36 unforced errors trying to combat Jankovic's go-for-broke game.

Williams had not dropped a set in her four previous matches, including a 6-3, 6-4 result against 12th-ranked Nicole Vaidisova in a rematch of last year's semifinal, but dropped serve twice in the opening set.

Jankovic broke Williams and served for the match at 5-3, only to be broken herself. Williams led 40-15 in the next game only to fall apart again, double-faulting to set up match point, then sending a forehand wide.

"It was an unbelievable match, I am still shaking," said Jankovic, reaching the semifinals for the first time at Melbourne Park and only the third time at a major. "I am so happy.

"I came here with no expectations - it's amazing to beat the defending champion and in general a champion like Serena, it doesn't happen every day."

Jankovic had to fend off three match points in the third set of her first-round match, which included 15 service breaks, before edging Tamira Paszek, 2-6, 6-2, 12-10.

She followed that with straight-sets wins over Edina Gallovits and Casey Dellacqua and was taken to three by No. 30 Virginie Razzano.

After taking the first two games, Williams became increasingly sluggish. Normally bouncing on the balls of her feet and renowned for never giving up on a ball, she was often caught flatfooted, left to watch as Jankovic's shots landed for winners or to whack unforced errors awkwardly into the net.

Her best efforts came when she didn't have to run and had time to set up for a full swing. For most of the match, Williams' usually powerful serve averaged 10 mph slower than in the last round, and she was broken seven times.

Her shoulders frequently drooped as the points piled up against her. On other occasions, Williams looked to the sky as if hoping for divine intervention. Even her shouts of "Come on!" sounded weak.

The fans shared her disbelief, with one shouting: "Wake up Serena!" By the time sister Venus showed up, Williams had lost the first set - squandering five break points in two games and netting an easy forehand volley on set point.

After Jankovic broke her for a 3-1 lead in the second on a stinging backhand passing shot, Williams - who earlier took a swing with her racket as if to smash it - followed through this time. She angrily spiked it once, then slammed it down a second time, breaking it and earning a warning from the umpire for racket abuse.

That seemed to kick-start her for a while, as Williams broke in the next game to get back on serve.

Both women received medical treatment at the changeover, Jankovic for a thigh ailment and Williams for a blister on her right big toe.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »
Maria mows down Henin; Serena stunnedAssociated Press
Updated: January 22, 2008, 12:00 PM EST 8 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Maria Sharapova ended Justine Henin's 32-match winning streak in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, while defending champion Serena Williams was upset by Jelena Jankovic.

The fifth-seeded Sharapova defeated Henin 6-4, 6-0 Tuesday to reach the semifinals for the fourth year in a row. Last year, Sharapova was beaten in the final by Williams.

Williams was eliminated by Jankovic 6-3, 6-4, then was knocked out of the doubles when she and her sister Venus were beaten 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 by Yan Zi and Zheng Jie of China.

Sharapova lost to Henin at the season-ending championships in Madrid two months ago in one of the longest women's tour matches — 3 hours and 24 minutes — and had a 2-6 record against the Belgian.

"I came into the match really prepared to play a three- to four-hour match," Sharapova said.

Instead, she came out hot on a cool night, constantly putting pressure on Henin and refusing to wilt when things got tight.

"It's just incredible," Sharapova said. "I think it was one of the most consistent matches where I did all the things I wanted to do. I had to be aggressive. When I'm playing well, that's what I do. I want to be the one that's forcing their errors. I did a really good job of that today."

She was looking forward to taking on Jankovic.

"We kind of grew up together, practicing at the same academy," Sharapova said. "It's a bit strange. We were always doing the same thing, playing the same groups. It was both of our dreams playing in a Grand Slam, especially playing each other. We've always played really tough and we've always battled it out."

Sharapova, going for winners and keeping Henin on the run with deep, stinging groundstrokes, rushed to a 3-0 lead in the first set. Henin, the crowd favorite in packed Rod Laver Arena, kicked a ball after a fault in a rare show of anger.

She broke Sharapova as she served for the first set at 5-3, only to be broken on a pair of backhand winners in the next game by the Russian, who let out a primal scream of joy and relief.

With little going right for Henin, who won the French Open and U.S. Open titles after missing the Australian Open last year, Sharapova rushed through the second set, ripping 15 winners to only five unforced errors.

"I knew she was in top form and I knew it was going to be tough, so I was ready to fight and give my best, but it wasn't good enough," Henin said.

It was the first time that Henin had lost a set 6-0 since she was beaten in the first round at the 2002 French Open 4-6, 6-1, 6-0 by Aniko Kapros, a qualifier from Hungary.

Now she'll have to try to start a new winning streak.

"It's very hard to be at your best level all the time, and I'll have to think about that and build again for the future," Henin said.

Jankovic was seeded third and Williams seventh, so technically, her victory wasn't an upset. Despite her rise in rise in the rankings, she has never reached the final of a Grand Slam, while Williams seemed to be close to the form that she once used to dominate women's tennis.

Suddenly, gone were Williams' chances of defending her title. Gone were images of her spryly sprinting on the court in her first four matches, clearly leaner and fitter than last year, raising questions whether anyone could beat her.

Instead, the last memories will be of Williams struggling, of smashing her racket — bashing it twice when, like on so many points this day, she just didn't use enough power to finish it off.

"My shots just weren't right," Williams said. "I didn't move the way I traditionally want to move, and I wasn't feeling 100 percent. But as an athlete, you know not every day you're going to feel 100 percent, and some days you have to win feeling 30 percent.

"I'm not going to sit here and make excuses," she added, refusing to specify what was wrong with her physically. "I lost because Jelena played better than me and I made too many errors. I think regardless, the match was on my racket, and I gave it away."

Williams beat Jankovic in the fourth round here last year, and there was little cause to think this would be any different, especially with the Serbian woman still not completely recovered from a thigh injury suffered shortly before the tournament began.

"I'm like a wounded animal," Jankovic said. "I still keep going.

"It was an unbelievable match. I am still shaking. I came out very strong, and I was going for my shots. Especially my backhand down the line was working unbelievably, and that's how I hurt my opponent."

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »
Henin and Serena's lost came as a shock, wasn't expecting it.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
sharapova is de one to beat now.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Ivanovic, Hantuchova in Aussie Open semisAssociated Press
Updated: January 23, 2008, 12:50 AM EST 3 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Venus Williams followed her sister Serena out of the Australian Open in the quarterfinals, both losses at the hands of Serbian players.  2008 Australian Open 

Venus went down 7-6 (3), 6-4 to fourth-seeded Ana Ivanovic on Wednesday, a day after defending champion Serena lost to No. 3 Jelena Jankovic.
Ivanovic, who had never previously taken a set off Williams, is into the semifinals for the third time at a Grand Slam and next faces first-timer Daniela Hantuchova, who beat Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2, 6-2.

In the other women's semifinal Jankovic will meet No. 5 Maria Sharapova, who ended top-ranked Justine Henin's 32-match winning streak 6-4, 6-0.

After four straight losses to Venus Williams, including the semifinals at Wimbledon and the fourth round at the U.S. Open, the 20-year-old Ivanovic was ecstatic about her latest win in Melbourne.

"It was an amazing match and I'm just thrilled to get through," the French Open finalist said. "In the last 18 months I've come a long way.

"She's an amazing competitor and she was playing very well today."

A third Serbian player has a chance of making the semis at Melbourne Park, with men's No. 3 Novak Djokovic playing David Ferrer of Spain later Wednesday.

Defending champion Roger Federer goes against No. 12 James Blake in the night match, aiming to add another major title to move within one of Pete Sampras' record 14 Grand Slams.

The Williams sisters have 14 singles majors between them, but the hold that they once had on women's tennis is declining."There's been a lot of talk every single year," Venus Williams said in response, again, to the question. "I think what's important to me is what goes on in my head. I've been a champion. I have full expectations and aspirations to continue to play high-quality tennis and to continue to be a champion.

"And I think Serena and I, we don't have anything to prove. We get out there and we play our best ... I don't get too caught up in what the next person thinks."

Neither Ivanovic nor Williams showed any respect for the other's serve, with six consecutive breaks in the first set.

Shaking her head and sighing, Williams had 21 unforced errors in the first set to just seven winners as she sprayed the ball all over the court.

She won just one of her five service points in the tiebreaker, covering her face with her hand after netting a straightforward backhand volley to give Ivanovic a 5-2 edge.

Then, after swatting away flies three times as she prepared to serve, Williams hit a swinging backhand volley into the net on set point.

Williams, her left thigh heavily wrapped almost to her knee, picked up her game dramatically to start the second set, jumping out to a 3-0 lead. She was really pounding the ball, her grunts of exertion sounding nearly like screams.

But it didn't last as Ivanovic broke back to get on serve. Then, after Williams fended off a break point to take a 4-3 edge, Ivanovic ran off the last three games, rallying from 15-40 as she served for the match.

Hantuchova had not been to the second week of a Grand Slam tournament since her quarterfinal exits at three consecutive majors, ending with a loss to Venus Williams in the Australian Open in 2003.

"It feels great. I kept fighting for every point, even in matches I wasn't playing very well," she said. "I kept believing I could do it, and here I am."

Serena Williams slumped 6-3, 6-4 on Tuesday to Jankovic, who reached the semifinals at Melbourne Park for the first time and only the third time in a major.

Serena was unseeded and ranked No. 81 when she made her stunning run to a third Australian and eighth Grand Slam title here 12 months ago, punctuating that with an emphatic 6-1, 6-2 win over Sharapova.

Sharapova wants to make amends this year.

"Even though I beat Justine, it's definitely not over," she said. "I still have a lot of business to take care of."

Sharapova, who struggled with a shoulder problem for most of last year, lost the season-ending championships final in three sets to Henin in 3 hours, 24 minutes - among the dozen longest women's tour matches in the Open era.

She turned the tables in only 1:38 on Tuesday, inflicting the first 6-0 set on Henin since 2002.

"I really felt like I was in a bubble," No. 5 Sharapova said. "I think it was one of the most consistent matches where I did all the things I wanted to do, and I did them correctly from the beginning to the end."

Henin, who struggled with her serve and was broken five times by Sharapova, said she had a minor concern over a lingering knee injury but put the end of her winning streak down as an inevitability.

"It's very hard to be at your best level all the time," she said. "I'll have to think about that and build again for the future."

Sharapova will be looking back for lessons to take into the semis against Jankovic, her old tennis academy pal.

"Ever since the juniors we've always played really tough and we've always battled it out, and it's great to see her in the semis," Sharapova said. "It's great we're playing together."

Jankovic has been hampered by a thigh problem since helping Serbia to the Hopman Cup final, where it lost to the Serena Williams-led United States.

She needed treatment during her first-round win here, when she had to save three match points, and again against Williams.

"I'm like a wounded animal. I still keep going," she said, adding for emphasis that she had a point to prove following a fourth-round loss to Williams here last year.

"Getting revenge, it feels so good," Jankovic said.

No. 2 Rafael Nadal, the only player to beat Federer at the last 10 Grand Slams, advanced to his first Australian Open semifinal with a 7-5, 6-3, 6-1 win over No. 24 Jarkko Nieminen of Finland.

He will play unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who beat No. 14 Mikhail Youzhny 7-5, 6-0, 7-6 (6).

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
Federer downs Blake to reach semifinalsAssociated Press
Updated: January 23, 2008, 10:57 AM EST 34 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Roger Federer has a lot of reasons to like James Blake.

The 12th-ranked American has a reputation as a nice guy away from the court and a good sportsman on it. More importantly for Federer, Blake always puts up a good fight against the Swiss star — before losing.

Top-ranked Federer ran his record against Blake to 8-0 and advanced to the Australian Open semifinals with a 7-5, 7-6 (5), 6-4 victory Wednesday.
Federer is seeking to win here for the third straight year and pull within one of Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam titles. He's also one step away from his 11th consecutive Grand Slam final after winning 19 matches in a row at Melbourne Park.

"It's great to be on top of the game for so long and be compared to the greats like Rod Laver and Sampras," Federer said.

He's not too worried about younger players stealing a little of the spotlight, either.

"I'm looking at history, looking at my own game," Federer said.

He next faces No. 3 Novak Djokovic, who beat No. 5 David Ferrer 6-0, 6-3, 7-5 to join two Serbian women in the semifinals. Ana Ivanovic ousted Venus Williams 7-6 (3), 6-4 on Wednesday, while Jelena Jankovic beat Serena Williams a day earlier.

The same three players reached the French Open semifinals last year on clay, proving they can win on different surfaces. Djokovic also made the Wimbledon semifinals and was runner-up to Federer at the U.S. Open.

U.S. flags were outnumbered by Swiss flags on a perfect night for tennis, and Federer had to be nearly perfect to beat Blake, who used his powerful forehand to keep the Swiss star from taking control of point.

"Playing against James, it's always great fun," said Federer, dressed in all-black again for a night match. "He's dangerous when he's even behind in the game. He made some incredible shots."

Blake's feelings about Federer were similar — to a point.

"He seems like one of the guys in the locker room," Blake said. "Then you go out there, he beats you. You come back in the locker room and he's one of the guys."

This was high-quality tennis, and the fans in packed Rod Laver Arena were on the edge of their seats as neither player gave an inch.

With a tiebreaker looming in the first set, Federer was at his usual best under pressure, breaking Blake as he served at 5-6.

Blake saved two set points while serving at 4-5 in the second set and three more after falling behind 6-2 in the tiebreaker. But there are only so many escapes possible against Federer, who finally cashed his sixth set point.

Federer was cruising at 5-1 in the third set when Blake, refusing to yield, ran off three straight games. Federer finally held to finish it.

"I really went in thinking I had a good chance to win," Blake said. "I thought I played pretty well. But he came up with some of his best at the right times, and that was the difference."

Serbia has a population of 10 million — half the size of Australia, which has zero home players left here. Despite a shortage of facilities, the country is churning out good players, just like the rest of Eastern Europe.

Djokovic pounded his big serve and mixed up his baseline game against Ferrer, keeping the Spaniard constantly on the run and moaning when he had to sprint in for a number of well-disguised drop shots.

Djokovic started to lose his composure toward the end, yelling at the crowd for shouting while he served.

"There's no excuse for that. I was very nervous and was behaving very badly, I'm very sorry about that," Djokovic said. "I have a lot of expectations and pressure, and sometimes it's difficult to stay calm on the court. But I'm working on that."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
Sharapova advances to Australian Open finalAssociated Press
Updated: January 24, 2008, 6:47 AM EST 39 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Just when it looked like the Serbian fans were going to head home very disappointed, Ana Ivanovic gave them something to cheer for.

Seemingly headed for a quick departure after drawing a blank in the first set, fourth-ranked Ivanovic made a dramatic turnaround and landed a spot in the Australian Open finals against Maria Sharapova with a 0-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory over No. 9 Daniela Hantuchova on Thursday.

Now she gets the unenviable task of trying to derail No. 5 Sharapova, who was sharp again in overwhelming Serbia's Jelena Jankovic 6-3, 6-1. Third-seeded Jankovic saw any hopes for her own comeback ended by back pain.

Sharapova has shown focus and determination to get back to the final after losing to Serena Williams last year.

"You have your bad moments in your career and you have your good moments, and it's been a good ride so far," said the Russian, who has yet to drop a set in six matches as she seeks her third Grand Slam title. "But it's not over yet.

"It's about execution. You always have a plan in your mind of what you want to do. But sometimes it doesn't always go as planned."

It certainly has so far here, with Sharapova ending No. 1 Justine Henin's 32-match winning streak in the quarterfinals, then beating Jankovic.

With the roof of Rod Laver Arena closed just before the start due to a light rain, Jankovic looked anxious and tight. It didn't help that Sharapova came out loose and confident, whacking winners from all over the court and setting up easy putaways with shots that always seemed to find the lines.

Jankovic was left to smile bitterly toward her supporters, shrugging her shoulders as if to say, "What can I do?"

She fended off three set points while serving at 0-5 in the first set to take her first game, earning a big cheer from the crowd that included a strong presence from Melbourne's sizable Serbian community.

Sharapova, her high-pitched grunts sounding more like shrieks, just pounded the ball even harder, smacking an ace to set up her sixth set point, then getting to a drop shot for a clean winner.

Jankovic double-faulted three times to set up another Sharapova break to start the second set, then went off court for treatment of lower back pain. She called for the trainer again at the next two changeovers, burying her face in a towel.

"I wanted to withdraw, but it was a semifinal," Jankovic said.

The second match started as a near-replay. Ivanovic credited her fans for helping her rally.

"If it wasn't for you guys, I would already be booking my flight back home," she told the crowd.

Ivanovic appeared to have a letdown at the start after beating Venus Williams in the previous round. She repeatedly tried to psyche herself up as she won only nine points in the first set.

Hantuchova had her constantly sprinting side to side with sharp groundstrokes mixed with well-placed spins that kept Ivanovic from finding any rhythm.

"I think she didn't miss a ball," Ivanovic said. "I just tried to tell myself that she can't keep up that level throughout the whole match. I knew I would get a chance at some point."

When Ivanovic finally held for her first game while already down 0-2 in the second set, the crowd erupted in cheers of sympathetic relief.

The small victory provided just what she needed - a jolt of confidence.

Finally hitting with authority, Ivanovic broke twice to pull ahead 5-3, then held at love. What had been a rout in the making was even with a set to go.

Hantuchova shockingly blinked while serving at 4-4. She fended off one break point at 15-40 and set herself up to save the second with a drop volley. Ivanovic scrambled to keep it in play but was out of court when Hantuchova netted an easy volley.

Hantuchova wasn't sure what happened to her.

"Good question," she said. "If I knew that I think I would have changed it while I was still on the court. That's tennis. I had a great opportunity, but it just didn't happen for me today."

She complained to the umpire that while she was serving, Ivanovic's shoes were squeaking loudly.

"That's ridiculous, I think," she said. "I think it's unfair. It's a distraction to the server. We played before and she never did it."

Ivanovic denied she was doing it intentionally.

"If you see other matches I was doing exactly the same thing," she said. "It's just the way these courts play. And if you listen to the guys I think they're doing the same thing. I just tried to move my feet, to return the ball."

No. 2-ranked Rafael Nadal was to play unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in a night semifinal on the men's side.

Roger Federer, seeking a third consecutive Australian title and 13th major, will play No. 3 Novak Djokovic in the other semifinal on Friday.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
Nadal rocked by Tsonga in Aussie semisAssociated Press
Updated: January 24, 2008, 8:03 AM EST 11 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Second-ranked Rafael Nadal, seeking to prove he can win a Grand Slam on a surface other than Roland Garros' clay, instead matched his worst loss in a major as the No. 39-ranked Jo-Wilfried Tsonga reached the Australian Open finals with a dominating 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 victory on Thursday.

Nadal played well against Tsonga, who has struggled with injuries and had never gone beyond the fourth round in his four previous Grand Slams. But the Frenchman was virtually untouchable, smashing 17 aces against one of the best serve returners.

He faces the winner of Friday's semifinal between top-ranked Roger Federer and No. 3 Novak Djokovic.

Nadal had just 12 unforced errors - four combined in the first two sets - while matching the fewest games he has won in a Grand Slam, against Andy Roddick at the 2004 U.S. Open.

"I was playing fine," Nadal said. "He played unbelievable. Congratulate him."

Tsonga had 49 winners and didn't face any break points until the third set, when he saved three in one game in Nadal's only real challenge.

"It's unbelievable, just amazing," Tsonga said, calling it his best performance ever. "Nothing can stop me today. It's like a dream. I can't believe it's true. I was moving on the court like never I move. Everything was perfect."

While Nadal is popular, Tsonga has been adopted by the Melbourne Park fans for his go-for-broke style and outgoing personality. He frequently had them standing and cheering.

Nadal got a taste of what was ahead as Tsonga jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first set. After watching one untouchable service return zip past, Nadal simply stared at him in disbelief.

As three other seeded players already learned here, this guy is for real.

Tsonga picked up volleys off his feet with an amazingly deft touch. Changing speed and spin, he slugged it out with Nadal from the baseline the way few can. And anytime he got close to trouble, his big serve bailed him out.

"I can't believe some volleys," Nadal said. "I tried to play little bit slower; I tried to play a little bit faster; I tried to play more inside the court; behind the court. No chance. Not today."

He broke Nadal at love to finish off the first set, then reveled in the cheers, waving his arms to get the fans to yell even louder.

"They give me lot of energy," Tsonga said.

With Nadal serving at 3-4 in the second set, Tsonga set up break point with a lunging backhand volley that left him with his back facing the net, then raised a finger to indicate "One more." He smacked a blistering service return on the next point, then another stinging shot to set up an easy overhead.

Serving for the set, Tsonga blasted two aces, then another serve that clipped the net and landed on the line. Nadal challenged the call, clearly unwilling to give Tsonga another chance - and for good reason. The call stood, and Tsonga rang up another ace.

Tsonga broke for the seventh time, then served for the match at 5-2, finishing it off with another ace. He looked stunned it was over, then jumped around the court in celebration.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
I had never watch this guy Tsonga play before...the man seems really good, but as they say has been hampered by injuries in the past. He is one to keep an eye on
Back in Trini...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
this tsonga fella....

first time i ever see him play something about him have me feeling he is going to be the next big thing in mens tennis...

de man have ah kinda unorthodox finish.. almost like ah man who just come to sweat some tennis..

he eh too polished at all, but i like that the same way like how agassi used to conduct it.. real passion with this man..

de man blow nadal off de court..

i feel federer could get ah portion..

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 04:48:46 AM »
FedExpress is in serious trouble against Djokovic  :o

as i write he's 2 sets down and its 4-4 in the third
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:55 AM »
FED IS OUT!!!  IN STRAIGHT SETS!! :o
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

1]; } ?>