April 19, 2024, 04:56:04 PM

Author Topic: 2008 australian open  (Read 6897 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 australian open
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 05:21:17 AM »
FED IS OUT!!!  IN STRAIGHT SETS!! :o

This is great for tennis!  :applause:  Two young stars in the final!

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 05:54:30 AM »

yeah that have me real sad. but the truth is that sooner or later the new players were gonna catch up and slow him down. the road to 15 grandslam titles isn't paved in gold any longer for fed. should be exciting. i think he'll win wimbledon this year though. and i really wanna see him win french but that's tough with nadal

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
Djokovic ousts Federer at Aussie OpenAssociated Press
MELBOURNE, Australia - Top-ranked Roger Federer's streak of 10 straight Grand Slam finals came to an abrupt end Friday when he lost to No. 3 Novak Djokovic 7-5, 6-3, 7-6 (5) in the Australian Open semifinals.

Federer, who had been seeking his third consecutive title here, didn't look like the same player who appeared well on his way to winning his 13th major. The emotional Djokovic had a lot to do with that, hitting 13 aces and 50 winners, largely avoiding the nerves that have occasionally troubled him.

"I am just very amazed I coped with the pressure today," Djokovic said. "In the most important moments, I played my best tennis."

"It's just amazing, indescribable, to beat the No. 1 player of the world, one of the best players this sport has ever had, in straight sets."

He will face unseeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Sunday's final. Tsonga beat No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals Thursday.

In the women's final Saturday another Serbian, fourth-seeded Ana Ivanovic, will meet No. 5 Maria Sharapova.

Other than a twitchy third-round victory over Janko Tipsarevic that went to 10-8 in the fifth set, Federer has been in good form after a stomach ailment interrupted his pre-tournament preparations. He dominated James Blake in the quarterfinals and appeared to be peaking at the right time.

Instead, he fell to his first straight-sets loss in a Grand Slam tournament since a third-round defeat to Gustavo Kuerten at the 2004 French Open.

"I think he made the more important points today, it was a bit unfortunate for me," said Federer, who rubbed his eyes frequently at his post-match news conference. "You can't always play your best. There is no doubt I have played better before.

"I've created a monster that I need to win every tournament - still the semifinals isn't bad."

Despite a 1-5 record against Federer that included a loss in the U.S. Open final in September, Djokovic was far from intimidated on a muggy night in a packed Rod Laver Arena, even after getting broken in the first set.

Federer, who is usually at his best as the pressure builds toward the end of a set, pulled ahead at 5-3 only to be stunned as Djokovic ran off the last four games, with the Swiss star hitting backhands long on the last two points of the set.

Federer grimaced or hung his head as his groundstrokes and feathery drop shots lacked their usual punch and accuracy, or deserted him entirely.

"He covered the court well," Federer said. "I couldn't come up with the passing shot when I needed to.

"There is some sort of a disappointment. The way I tried, that's all I could give. When you give 100 percent, you're sort of happy with your performance. It can't always go your way."

Djokovic broke him to pull ahead at 3-1 in the second set. He finished off the game by getting to a drop shot on the dead run and flicking a backhand past Federer that kissed the line. Djokovic roared and raised his fist, then repeatedly pounded his chest.

He broke again to pull ahead at 5-1. Serving for the set, Djokovic looked a little tight, and Federer took advantage to break. When he held to make it 5-3, the crowd erupted into chants of "Let's go Roger, let's go" that nearly drowned out shouts of "No-vak, No-vak."

"I felt the crowd was not behind me, but that's OK ... I fight two opponents," Djokovic said.

Federer forced deuce as Djokovic served again for the set.

Known for his tendency to bounce the ball up to two dozen times before serving, the Serbian got a time delay warning. Instead of being shaken, Djokovic was fired up. He ripped a forehand winner and glared up at chair umpire Pascal Maria of France, then blasted an ace and stared defiantly at Maria again.

The two men combined to fend off seven break points early in the third set. Federer had two chances to break as Djokovic served at 5-6, but the Serbian refused to crack, hitting two great serves, then getting to a drop for a forehand crosscourt winner to force a tiebreaker.

From 3-3, the two players combined for five straight winners, the last a good serve by Djokovic that set up match point. Federer netted a forehand to finish it in 2 hours and 48 minutes.

The crowd slowly rose to its feet, almost in disbelief, before applauding Djokovic, then gave Federer a standing ovation as he quickly left the court.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 10:10:21 AM »
I've not watched mens tennis in many years, but as I forced my way on that facking treadmill in the gym (eating like it going out of style to blame) the mens semis was on. This Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is ah borse! Took the game to spanish and never looked back. i eh want to blyte the fella..but he reminded me of becker and I hope he goes on to make a name for himself.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 10:45:07 AM »
What! I will have to see that today.

Tsonga looing like the real deal people. That fella have ability and game too bad. Is the first time I see him play he looking like the next big thing in tennis. He riminding me of Sampras when he first emerge as the USOpen winner in '90'. I definitely keeping an eye out for him in the future. Well if Fedex out the final will be some real heat it look like. Djokovic and Tsonga eh go be no small match , it go be fire and brimstone.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »
What! I will have to see that today.

Tsonga looing like the real deal people. That fella have ability and game too bad. Is the first time I see him play he looking like the next big thing in tennis. He riminding me of Sampras when he first emerge as the USOpen winner in '90'. I definitely keeping an eye out for him in the future. Well if Fedex out the final will be some real heat it look like. Djokovic and Tsonga eh go be no small match , it go be fire and brimstone.

if again

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
WOW!
well this final shall be very interesting to say the least. Hopefully I will get to catch it live since we in damn training whole weekend for RAs for the new semester
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »
Well I got up at 3 am to watch the game and i must that i was definitely surprised.
Federer looked tired, astonished and definitely out of his game after the 2nd set cut arse.

Nadel dey night before should really give up on grass and stay on clay.

I going with Tsonga. The young fella have style and mad ability with his backhand and volleys
Lawd fadda....aahhhh another 3.30 am in meh arse Sunday morning.
My hands up in dey air for the women competition....I ain't know ah tall who could play better dan who

Allyuh realised it ain't have not one person that we know of in dey finals ?
Both male and female competitions ?
All the Americans get bowl out in dey quarter finals....The americans who had tennis competitions on dey back of dey left hand. Is only the Williams sisters playing to win games and not for exhibitions purposes only.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »
Sharapova wins Aussie Open titleAssociated Press
Updated: January 26, 2008, 12:31 AM EST 11 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Maria Sharapova's acceptance speech was as polished as her game at the Australian Open.

A year after being on the wrong end of one of the most-lopsided losses in a Grand Slam final, Sharapova wrapped up her third major title with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over fourth-seeded Ana Ivanovic on Saturday.

The 20-year-old Russian didn't drop a set in seven matches at Melbourne Park, including wins over three of the top four ranked players, erasing 12 months worth of painful memories in the wake of her 6-1, 6-2 loss to Serena Williams last year.

After Ivanovic sprayed a forehand wide on match point, Sharapova dropped to her knees and appeared to be fighting back tears as she waved and blew kisses to the crowd.

Then she dropped her racket in her chair before heading to shake hands and exchange high-fives with her father and supporters.

She clasped her hands and swayed as she stood, waiting to receive the Daphne Akhurst Trophy, then told the Rod Laver Arena crowd that she'd received a text message from tennis great Billie Jean King telling her that 'Champions take chances and pressure is a privilege.'

"I took mine," Sharapova said.

Sharapova wished her mother, Yelena, a happy birthday and told her how she planend to spend some of her $1,207,790 prize money.

"With this big fat check, I'm going to send you a bunch of roses," she said. "Last year I lost on her birthday and this year I said I'm going to make it up to her, and I did."

Sharapova said she "wasn't even close to winning last year."

"It's incredible. If somebody would've told me during the middle of last year I'd be here I'd have said 'forget it."'

Sharapova, seeded fifth, struggled with a shoulder injury last year and slipped from No. 1 to outside the Top 5. She rallied to make the final of the season-ending championship, losing in three long sets to top-ranked Justine Henin.

The Russian star said when her coach and hitting partner Michael Joyce's mother died, it helped her put her cope with the hard times.

Every time she went out to play or practice "Jane was the name we were thinking about," Sharapova said. "I want to dedicate this win to her because after the loss (Joyce) suffered, I got a whole lot of perspective with my injuries and setbacks.

"It helped me priorize so many things that were outside of tennis."

Ivanovic is projected to rise to No. 2 in the rankings despite the loss, while Sharapova will remain at No. 5 when the new list is released next week.

Sharapova leads their head-to-heads 3-2, avenging a straight-sets loss to the Serbian player in the French Open semifinals last year.

Ivanovic, also 20, is 0-2 in Grand Slam finals after losing the French Open championship match to Henin.

"I'm very emotional and you guys made it a very special experience for me," she told the crowd as tears welled in her eyes.

Sharapova was aggressive from the start and, apart from one bad service game in the first set that allowed Ivanovic back to 4-4, controlled the important points against a Serbian player for the second consecutive match.

She beat No. 3 Jelena Jankovic in the semifinals after ending top-ranked Justine Henin's 32-match winning streak in the quarterfinals.

Sharapova set up triple match point and waited patiently as Ivanovic saved two before the Russian could add to her titles at Wimbledon in 2004 and the 2006 U.S. Open.

On a hot, sunny day with temperatures touching 93 degrees, people in the crowd were fanning themselves, and Sharapova retreated to the shade behind the baselines to gather herself between points.

It was Australia Day, so organizers put small national flags at each seat. But there were plenty of Serbian and Russian flags, too.

Most of the signs scattered around a packed arena were pretty clear, including one that said "Quiet please Maria," referring to Sharapova's high-pitched grunts that get louder and louder as pressure rises.

Both players showed some nerves in the first set, with Ivanovic particularly shaky, committing 19 unforced errors to just six winners.

Serving at 2-2, Ivanovic set up double break point with a double fault, then sent a forehand long.

After holding serve the first three times at love, Sharapova returned the favor, committing three double faults while serving at 4-3, the last two at deuce to hand the game to Ivanovic.

But she shrugged off the setback, running off the last three games, breaking to go ahead 6-5, then pumping her fist and shouting "Go Maria! Come on!" Taking every second possible between points, Sharapova then held at love.

From 3-3 in the second set, Sharapova ran off the last three games again, breaking Ivanovic twice.

The advice from King, who won 12 Grand Slam singles titles, was a great help, Sharapova said.

"When I was playing junior tennis she'd turn up and talk to my parents and give them advice and talk to me," Sharapova said. Now she's always someone to give me advice

"I woke up this morning to her text ... I had those great words in my mind during the match."

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
well congrats girl....i ain't ah fan of yours but ya play dey game wid class.

dats all

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »
Well I got up at 3 am to watch the game and i must that i was definitely surprised.
Federer looked tired, astonished and definitely out of his game after the 2nd set cut arse.

I going with Tsonga. The young fella have style and mad ability with his backhand and volleys
My hands up in dey air for the women competition....I ain't know ah tall who could play better dan who

All the Americans get bowl out in dey quarter finals....The americans who had tennis competitions on dey back of dey left hand. Is only the Williams sisters playing to win games and not for exhibitions purposes only.

cana how yuh could say dat look sharapova was dey..

well i'm not a big fan of her personality, but dem long legs make me ah fan.  :devil:

i thought that victory speech was never going and finish..

ah backing tsonga for de men's final later.. i think the men's tennis duopoly between federer and nadal has finally come to an end and i hoping that the men's game gets back that unpredictability from back in the days when yuh had any one of becker, courier, edberg, lendl, ivanisevic, stich, agassi and sampras who had a real chance of winning tournaments..
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:33:20 AM by omarldinho »

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »

cana how yuh could say dat look sharapova was dey..

well i'm not a big fan of her personality, but dem long legs make me ah fan.  :devil:

i thought that victory speech was never going and finish..

ah backing tsonga for de men's final later.. i think the men's tennis duopoly between federer and nadal has finally come to an end and i hoping that the men's game gets back that unpredictability from back in the days when yuh had any one of becker, courier, edberg, lendl, ivanisevic, stich, agassi and sampras who had a real chance of winning tournaments..

Agreed........Time to give Federer some real resistance. Let's see what extra he could come up with when these  guys come into their own. Don't count out the Fed as yet though.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »
No no Pass10 we cyah count out Federer as yet...dey man have alot of tennis in him still...I giving him dey excuse that he was tired.  Nadel was definitely outplayed by Tsonga.  But the thing is, I wonder if Tsonga or even Djokovic could meet him on clay ?  You know that is a different set of tennis there already ?

Omar to tell you honestly me ain't really know Maria well..well tennis wise ah talking about eh?
As ah oman, me aint' care bout she legs. What does upset me with her, she doh take the game "seriously."

I have no problem when the players pick and choose their games/competitions they want to part take in, but doh pick one per year. Everybody else in US Open, Austrialian, French, Rogers etc one after dey other. But she go come and win they Austrilan Open den you see she posing on ah poster (showing she legs Omar) den disappear for months with the excuse she pull muscle in some part ah she body while training. Nah girl your excuses getting too often now.

Well, 3 am in dey morning we go see nuh :beermug:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:27:20 AM by TriniCana »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »
fed comin back to win wimbledon,US open and de french.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 09:26:30 AM »
well ah stay up from 3 am to watch dey men's finals....<sigh>

but congrats to dey young fella name Djokovic.
much deserved.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 09:37:09 AM »
I recorded it so I will watch it later today or tomorrow.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
The kinda bad feeling I was getting on work this past 2 weeks as a result of staying up them mad hours to watch tennis! Steups!

Anyway, some thoughts:

1. We have a solid number 3 who will test Roger and Rafa severely in the coming years. This man game built on solidity. He is a handlful but,
...ah cyar stand the man. He and he family cocky. They vex when the crowd behind Federer and he think he is the next best thing. Is one ting to be confident, but a next ting to be arrogant. They say plenty men on the tour doh like he antics, Roger included.

2. Roger coming back, and hell coming with him!
3. Jo Wilfried Tsonga aka Muhammed Ali, is the man. If he could keep it up, men in trouble in the coming years.
4. Ah glad diva #1 beat diva #2 in the women's final. Although Sharapova is the media darling, she play solid determined tennis this rounds. Right now, she playing, ah go give she dat.
5. Venus and Serena could easily continue to dominate if the want, but they sometimes doh take it serious enough.
6. What them women commentators have against these sisters?
Ketch footballitis

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 09:18:51 PM »
Djokovic fends off Tsonga to win Aussie OpenAssociated Press
Updated: January 27, 2008, 11:55 AM EST 22 comments RSS digg blog email print MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Novak Djokovic withstood the expected barrage from upstart Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the first set, then rallied to win the Australian Open for his first Grand Slam title.

Djokovic fended off the Muhammad Ali lookalike 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (2) in the final on Sunday night, ending a sequence of 11 straight majors won by either Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal since Marat Safin's victory in 2005.

The 20-year-old Djokovic had not lost a set in six matches leading into the final, including his semifinal win over two-time defending champion Federer.

But with unseeded Tsonga coming out swinging like he did in his straight-sets upset over No. 2 Nadal in the semifinals and three other top 14 players, that streak came to a sudden end.

The 20-year-old Djokovic rebounded in the second and third sets and after saving a crucial breakpoint in the fourth, dominated the tiebreaker to clinch his first major at his 13th attempt.

"You feel the expectations and pressure, so I'm very happy with the way I dealt with the pressure," Djokovic said. "Coming on against a player with nothing to lose — he was going for the shots and he was very dangerous, especially in the first set — I was pretty nervous."

Djokovic was the youngest player since Stefan Edberg defeated Mats Wilander in 1985 to win the Australian title and the first man from Serbia to win a major.Tsonga, who had been so aggressive earlier in the tournament, seemed more content to rally from the baseline, especially after getting passed several times.

"He was very dangerous," Djokovic said. "I was aware of that fact, but I was trying to stay with him because I knew sooner or later, with my style of game, I could get in control of the match, which I did in the middle of the second set."

As well as Tsonga, he had to overcome cramps.

Djokovic got treatment on the back of his left thigh while holding for a 3-2 lead in the fourth set, then fended off a break point while serving at 5-5.

Wanting to finish it off quickly, he raced through the tiebreaker — with some help from Tsonga, who double-faulted to make it 5-1 and then sent a running forehand long to give Djokovic four championship points.

He only needed one as Tsonga hit a forehand wide.

Novak Djokovic won his first career Grand Slam title. (Mark Baker / Associated Press)

Djokovic fell on his back, then got up to shake hands with Tsonga and put his arm around the Frenchman. He got on his knees and kissed the court, shook hands with his family, then tossed two rackets into the stands before burying his face in a towel.

"First, before I thank everybody in this world, I want to thank everybody in my box, who've supported me all the way through, not just these two weeks, all the way in my life," Djokovic said. "Thank you very much, I love you."

His father, mother and two younger brothers wore white tracksuits and sat in order with letters on the front spelling out Djokovic's nickname, Nola.

"Second of course Jo. Unbelievable tournament and you should be proud of yourself — if he won tonight it would be absolutely deserved, so well done for his success."

Djokovic, who has had a hot and cold relationship with the Melbourne Park crowd, won them back over again in his post-match speech.

"I know the crowd wanted him to win more," he said of Tsonga. "That's OK, it's all right. I still love you guys, don't worry.

"I'm very, very happy that I won my first Grand Slam here, so hopefully we'll see you here on this stage a lot more often in the future."

Tsonga, ranked 38th coming into his fifth major, will move up to No. 18 after advancing past the fourth round for the first time.

He was aiming to be the first Frenchman in 80 years to win the Australian title and the first to win any of the four Grand Slams since Yannick Noah's win at Roland Garros in 1983.

Rod Laver Arena was packed and awash in red, white and blue, the national colors of both countries, but there was little doubt where the rowdy crowd's loyalties lay — with underdog Tsonga, who has delighted the Melbourne Park fans with his ebullient personality and go-for-broke style.

A portrait of Ali, a racket sketched in one hand, was taped to a wall, and Tsonga sprinted onto the court for warmups.

Djokovic, who had complained after his semifinal victory over Federer that he had to fight two opponents because of the overwhelming support for the Swiss star, was at it again, frequently turning toward a pocket of chanting Serbian fans to get them fired up after he fired winners.

Both men looked tight at first, dropping their first service games before settling in.

Tsonga suddenly picked up his game when it appeared the first set was headed for a tiebreaker. He blasted three aces to take a 5-4 lead, then came up with two great shots to break Djokovic.

Serving at 30-30, Djokovic had an easy overhead, but didn't do enough with it. Tsonga ripped a forehand crosscourt passing shot for a winner, then raised his racket and roared with the crowd.

Another good forehand winner finished off the set, and Tsonga went down on one knee to pump his fist before dancing over to his chair to a standing ovation.

Djokovic refused to crumble. He never faced a break point in the second and third sets, yielding only 10 points in his nine service games.

Djokovic said he didn't know where he would go next, but planned to spend a couple of weeks enjoying the celebrations.

"It's my first major, but it's just the start of a long season," he said.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
Checked out the final this morning and it was as expected, descent point build up fellas was hitting the life out of the ball. LEt hope to see some more from this guy Tsonga in the future.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

1]; } ?>