April 18, 2024, 06:09:32 AM

Author Topic: Oliver in Pro League tug of war.  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Oliver in Pro League tug of war.
« on: January 24, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »
Oliver in Pro League tug of war.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Caledonia warn Jabloteh over approach.

Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA yesterday disputed claims by 2007 Pro League champions and rival football club, CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, that they were set to sign Caledonia star player Marvin Oliver on a free transfer.
Jabloteh coach Terry Fenwick told the Express that Oliver agreed to join his squad, which the 32-year-old playmaker confirmed.
But Caledonia, who finished fourth last season, insist he is not a free agent and a move would not be so simple.
There were stern words too as regards Jabloteh's approach to Oliver which, if the player indeed has another year on his present contract, is illegal under FIFA law.
"He is still under contract with Caledonia for another year," said Caledonia manager Ricarda Nelson.
"He said an offer was put to him but he has not signed anything with Jabloteh and, as far as we know, he is a player with Caledonia AIA.
"Jabloteh need to do things properly if they want Marvin because that was an illegal approach."
Oliver told the Express on Monday that Jabloteh held a special place in his heart because he is from the San Juan area and represented the club from the age of nine to his late teens when he migrated.
He said that he would contact Caledonia coach Jamaal Shabazz as a matter of principle before he completed his move.
Shabazz admitted that Oliver did tell him about "an attractive offer" from Jabloteh-Fenwick claimed to have offered the player a two-year deal on roughly the same salary package as he has at present.
The Caledonia co-founder was abroad on business with the Guyana Football Federation but plans to sit down and discuss matters with the dreadlocked midfielder today.
He said it was too early to say whether he would consider releasing Oliver but suggested that he was not in the habit of forcing unhappy players to stay.
Last year, Shabazz fought off a Jabloteh attempt to sign Caledonia captain and St Lucian international Sheldon Emmanuel in the pre-season.
Emmanuel was a free agent at the time but opted to remain with the "Eastern Stallions" after Jabloteh prematurely announced his capture.
Shabazz expressed displeasure with Jabloteh's recruiting style.
"If Jabloteh do the legal thing and contact us we are open to any suggestion," he said.
"We will never stand in the way of anybody doing what their heart wants them to do. But I would have thought that Jabloteh would follow protocol and contact us like Joe Public or W Connection would have done...
"I will meet with Oliver (today) please God and then I will get the full details I can't say whether I will let him go although we have never held anyone back before."
But Fenwick defended his approach to Oliver who, the Englishman explained, assured him that he was out of contract. He suggested that Shabazz might be referring to a verbal promise between Caledonia coach and player but promised to investigate further.
"My understanding is that (Oliver's) contract was up on December 31," said Fenwick, "but I will have to follow this up. We spoke directly to the player who assured us that he was out of contract."
The tug of war over arguably the Pro League's most accomplished midfielder is likely to continue for at least another 24 hours.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:12:12 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver in Pro League tug of war.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
do these local players have agents representing them? why is fenwick talking directly to oliver when he should be speaking to his representative? he is not supposed to just go by what a player says and conducts a deal without notifying the club. bad business on the part of fenwick!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
Agents pleezeeeeeeee. If he did sign up wit FPATT he would have representation. I sure he eh sign with them. Who eh hear go feel.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »
how can these local players call themselves pros without any representation? if this is what the ttproleague supporting then this league really aint go nowhere at all!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
Agents pleezeeeeeeee. If he did sign up wit FPATT he would have representation. I sure he eh sign with them. Who eh hear go feel.

I suspect there is some pressure on the players not to sigh with FPATT, especially those with a particularly uncertain future. The ones who are not.....march up to FPATT one time and sign yuh name.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
how can these local players call themselves pros without any representation? if this is what the ttproleague supporting then this league really aint go nowhere at all!! :beermug:

You have to bear in mind that the notion of the 'professional footballer' is still a relative young and growing concept in Trinidad.  You think Jackie Robinson had ah agent when he first get sign tuh play baseball fuh de Dodgers?

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »
Marvin doh have a copy of his contract to tell him when the contract expire?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »
shabazz should hold on to him
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:14:06 PM »
In TNT because of our industrial relations legislation  everbody who have a wuk should b in a union. FPATT is d union 4 footballers just as PSA is d union 4 public servants.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:31:01 AM »
In TNT because of our industrial relations legislation  everbody who have a wuk should b in a union. FPATT is d union 4 footballers just as PSA is d union 4 public servants.

Explain please.
I thought we had freedom of choice ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>