May 19, 2024, 01:41:32 PM

Author Topic: T&T goalkeeper Kelvin Jack vindicated. ...Berry took secret payment.  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T goalkeeper Kelvin Jack vindicated.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Berry took secret payment.

Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup goalkeeper Kelvin Jack was vindicated in the Leeds County Court earlier this month when Justice Walker ruled that English football agent Mike Berry took an illegal, secret payment from Dundee Football Club in Jack's transfer there in 2004.
The court decision was handed down on January 11, but the Sunday Express only obtained a copy of the legal transcript on Friday.
Berry, who handles a bevy of Trinidad and Tobago players including Sunderland star Carlos Edwards, Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince and the Swansea pair of Dennis Lawrence and Jason Scotland, successfully sued Jack for non-payment of agent fees.
The Gillingham custodian had argued that he stopped payments to Berry's Imageview Management company when he felt the agent breached his duty to him.
Justice Walker ruled that Berry had been dishonest and showed more interest in his own financial well-being rather than his client's. Dundee, who were in administration at the time, paid $37,708 (£3,000) to Berry unknown to Jack, who had already agreed to give the agent ten per cent of his wages for the duration of his two-year deal.
Jack had asked Berry whether he received a secret payment and was told to "mind his own business". The court ruled that any payment which involved his contract was indeed the player's business.
"In my judgment, the very mischief of a secret payment to an agent," said Justice Walker, "is that the principal will never know what other deal might have been achieved.
"The agent thereby put himself in a position where his own interests and his duty to the Defendant conflicted, or at least may have conflicted."
Berry was ordered to pay Jack $28,280 (£2,250) from the secret commission plus interest of $5,028 (£400)-he was allowed to keep $9,427 (£750) for helping obtain the player's work permit-as well as his opponent's legal fees to the tune of $98,040 (£7,800) plus VAT.
However, Berry was allowed to keep his agent's fees for the duration of Jack's contract as his principal claim remained "undisturbed".
Jack expressed relief at the verdict which, he felt, vindicated his decision to fight his former agent in court and possibly rescued his own character.
Berry is under investigation in England for allegedly accepting $559,332 (£44,500) in unauthorised payments for Edwards' transfer to Luton Town in 2005.
Jack alleged that, after talking to fellow British professionals, he discovered that most agents got money from clubs rather than their clients, while the established rate was around three to five per cent of one's salary. Berry asked for and received ten per cent.
Mike Townley was Jack's instructing attorney, while Roger Quickfall served as his advocate attorney. At present, Townley is also representing the 2006 World Cup team in their legal action against the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) over bonus payments from money generated by the Soca Warriors in qualifying for the FIFA world championships.
"I am absolutely delighted," Jack told the Sunday Express. "This had nothing to do with money because I spent a lot on this case. It was a big risk and I was advised that maybe it wasn't worth the risk but I felt it necessary because my character was called into question.
"I could have ended up close to quarter-million (T&T dollars) out of pocket."
Townley had mixed feelings, though. He felt the court erred in its financial judgment and has already convinced Jack to appeal.
"The judgment went entirely in Kelvin Jack's favour," said Townley. "The disappointing thing for me is that the judge failed to recognise the legal cost of this fundamental breach of trust. But we are confident that we will win the appeal.
"The message is that football agents should not be taking money from both sides under any circumstances."
Two other World Cup players appeared in the Leeds courtroom too. Defender Brent Sancho, a former client of Berry's, appeared on Jack's behalf, while Berry called Ince as one of his witnesses.
Justice Walker said he "did not find Ince a convincing witness" and "was not satisfied that he had a clear recollection of events which occurred more than three years ago".
Jack viewed Ince's appearance as a betrayal.
"I found it absolutely shocking," he said. "Me and Brent Sancho and a lot of the boys were stunned by that fact. If ever we become teammates on the national team again, it would give me more impetus to keep him out of the team like I did for the last couple years by performances on the pitch."
Ince, who was League One "Player of the Month" last November, is set to return to international duty on Ash Wednesday in a friendly against Guadeloupe.
Jack, who has not played for Gillingham this season, was first choice for the Soca Warriors at the 2006 World Cup, until injury sidelined him for the games against Sweden and England, but has not been invited to represent his country since.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:39:13 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: T&T goalkeeper Kelvin Jack vindicated.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
 :applause:
Is a sweet ting to see justice prevail and the deserving come out winners and the deceivers told what time it is.
Those hiding in the closet and fearful to speak up, take heart. Yuh eh bong to lose because yuh stan' up.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
Clayton Ince is headless and heartless. Mike Berry is a scamp. Clayton should not have gotten involved.

Kelvin Jack handle Berry right, I admire him for that.

Now Carlos Edwards should do something about that illegal money Berry stole.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
Now Carlos Edwards should do something about that illegal money Berry stole.

he have to get an HONEST agent first
anyone know who Russell and Dwight have as their agent?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T goalkeeper Kelvin Jack vindicated. ...Berry took secret payment.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »
Townley had mixed feelings, though. He felt the court erred in its financial judgment and has already convinced Jack to appeal.

Good shot.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
what happen in de dark must come to light. de way these agents take advantage of these players remind meh of how the record industry treat unknowing artists.

Jack give de man twice the going rate as a commission? as our players move beyond T&T, this is just more proof that they need an organisation that will look out for them and where they can get professional advice & education.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »
what happen in de dark must come to light. de way these agents take advantage of these players remind meh of how the record industry treat unknowing artists.
Jack give de man twice the going rate as a commission? as our players move beyond T&T, this is just more proof that they need an organisation that will look out for them and where they can get professional advice & education.
since MLK birthday was two weeks ago, leh we see if any of this is applicable to our lives today.  ;)

1. He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. -- "Stride Toward Freedom," 1958.

2. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. -- "Strength to Love," 1963.

3. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -- "Letter from Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963.

4. Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. -- "Strength to Love," 1963.

5. Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor. -- "Letter from Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963.

;)
wrong move Imps :(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:50:58 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
Ince make a real cockroach move they

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
sad to hear bout ince dey......futher troubles in de camp
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
Evil prevails when good men do nutten Big Up to Kelvin as 4 Ince? I eh know what to say bout he
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:36:57 AM »
"I found it absolutely shocking," he said. "Me and Brent Sancho and a lot of the boys were stunned by that fact. If ever we become teammates on the national team again, it would give me more impetus to keep him out of the team like I did for the last couple years by performances on the pitch."

Ince has made some questionable moves over the years...remember him walking out from the team just a few days before the trip to Mexico after Jack replaced him for the WCQ vs Panama in d last campaign?  I don't think he and Jack are the best of pals.
However Ince is having a nice club season and looks like he will be starting vs. Guadeloupe while Jack remains in the wilderness for both club and country.  He needs to start playing club football as he's making it easy for the TTFF to keep him out of the national team based on form, even if the real reason is to 'punish' him for his deep involvement with FPATT.  Same goes for Sancho.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong but what is it really going on?it seems like guys like Jack,Sancho etc etc spending the rest of their Football career trying to make things better for themselves and Footballers,when are they going to start playing?are they turning every body away from them?even players will not want to go near them just now,don't get me wrong it's a good thing they are doing but at what cost,their careers are being affected by the path they have taken,how will history look at them one never knows.   

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »

Ince has made some questionable moves over the years...remember him walking out from the team just a few days before the trip to Mexico after Jack replaced him for the WCQ vs Panama in d last campaign?  I don't think he and Jack are the best of pals.
However Ince is having a nice club season and looks like he will be starting vs. Guadeloupe while Jack remains in the wilderness for both club and country.  He needs to start playing club football as he's making it easy for the TTFF to keep him out of the national team based on form, even if the real reason is to 'punish' him for his deep involvement with FPATT.  Same goes for Sancho.

I'm not a lawyer..but in Ince's defense, if Berry's legal team call him to testify, he probably has to. He could refuse, but then they could issue a subpeona and he wouldn't have a choice. dunno. i could be very wrong.

According to the paper, Jack sees Ince's appearance as a betrayal..but that may not be the case, and hopefully the two of them talk and figure it out. Plus, seems like Ince was a poor witness for the defense, so he may have helped Jack's case with his 'selective' memory anyways. This could be a big misunderstanding between the two. jack may be thinking Ince chose to testify against him. I'm not sure if he had a choice

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:40 PM »
Y he eh call Carlos why Ince ? Is it because he know that he woulda support him.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »

I'm not a lawyer..but in Ince's defense, if Berry's legal team call him to testify, he probably has to. He could refuse, but then they could issue a subpeona and he wouldn't have a choice. dunno. i could be very wrong.

According to the paper, Jack sees Ince's appearance as a betrayal..but that may not be the case, and hopefully the two of them talk and figure it out. Plus, seems like Ince was a poor witness for the defense, so he may have helped Jack's case with his 'selective' memory anyways. This could be a big misunderstanding between the two. jack may be thinking Ince chose to testify against him. I'm not sure if he had a choice

I try making the same case in the next thread but nobody was interested in hearing dat.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »
Y he eh call Carlos why Ince ? Is it because he know that he woulda support him.

maybe. it is very possible. but I have no clue what kind of questions Ince was asked, so it is not obvious to me why he was called upon. It is also not clear to me whether he had a choice. At the same time, I don't think his legal team would advise he call up Carlos, given he is under investigation for taking illegal payments in the Carlos transfer to Luton

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »

I try making the same case in the next thread but nobody was interested in hearing dat.

aye breds. when some people decide they doh like somebody..... :-\

1]; } ?>