March 29, 2024, 06:29:38 AM

Author Topic: NEW BORDER ID RULES BEGIN  (Read 1619 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
NEW BORDER ID RULES BEGIN
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
Few Delays As New Border ID Rules Begin
DETROIT, Thu Jan 31, 08:51 PM

Tougher identification rules went into effect Thursday along the nation's borders, but there appeared to be little added delay as travelers unprepared for the change were in many cases allowed to cross with a warning.

Rather than seeing a bottleneck over the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit, truck driver Paul Kraus said, "It's actually slow today." The 42-year-old regularly crosses the bridge from Windsor, Ontario, and said he always carries required documents.

U.S. and Canadian citizens entering the country are no longer allowed to simply declare to immigration officers at border crossings that they are citizens. Instead, those 19 and older must show proof of citizenship, such as a passport or a "trusted traveler" card issued to frequent border crossers. Driver's licenses must be accompanied by proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

Orville McFarlane of San Diego had just his driver's license as he returned from a sports betting parlor in Tijuana, Mexico, but was still allowed past San Diego's main border crossing.

"I was taken aback a little bit" about being asked for a birth certificate, the 36-year-old pharmacy technician said. "I said I didn't have it. He gave me a reminder slip."

Customs officials said that delays were minimal across the country and that most motorists had the documentation they needed.

"It's been a very smooth transition," said Thomas Winkowski, assistant commissioner of the Office of Field Operations, Customs and Border Protection. "There have been no issues with wait times."

Officers at the ports had latitude to admit people who are unaware of the changes once their identities were confirmed, and many points were offering a grace period and handing out fliers explaining the changes.

On the U.S. side of the border in Progreso, Texas, those returning from a trip to Nuevo Progreso, Mexico, across the Rio Grande carried bags of prescription drugs, cigarettes, liquor and crafts. Bobby and Genice Bogard of Greers Ferry, Ark., crossed so Genice could get a tooth capped.

The Bogards, who winter in Mission, Texas, knew the requirements were coming but thought they took effect in June. So even though they have U.S. passports, they had left them at home.

"He allowed us to pass with a driver's license," Bobby Bogard said of a border agent.

"But next time he said he wouldn't," added Genice Bogard.

Others were ready for the new rules, or say they've grown accustomed to carrying citizenship documents since security tightened following the Sept. 11 attacks. At the Peace Bridge, officials said most travelers entering Buffalo, N.Y., from Fort Erie, Ontario, had proper documentation.

"I always come across with my passport," said Fred Goetz of Burlington, Ontario.

Smooth travel was reported at many crossings along the northern and southern borders.

The rules eventually will get even tougher for U.S. citizens entering the country from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean because of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which Congress approved in 2004.

The driver's license-birth certificate combination will not be allowed when the law is fully implemented, but that has been delayed at land and sea crossings until June 2009.

Mexican citizens will continue to have to present valid passports and visas. Canadian citizens previously were not required to show a passport but will need one after next year.

Critics, particularly in northern border states, have assailed Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff over the changes. Some businesses and lawmakers worry that the new rules — and the costs of getting a passport — would discourage some people from making the trip.

"We are right on the border and 50 percent of our guests are Canadian, so it's an enormous part of our business," said Bill Stenger, president of Jay Peak ski resort in Jay, Vt.

———

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BORDER ID RULES BEGIN
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
well dis is an example of the forkery dat the majority who livin in kansas and baltimore does dream up and den for me to drive on a road out of las cruces is two and more border checks - 'are those your kids sir?' I can't tell you how many f'kin times a month. while hilary and bush and dem taqlk about - double the border patrol.  well - what ah go say such is democracy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
well dis is an example of the forkery dat the majority who livin in kansas and baltimore does dream up and den for me to drive on a road out of las cruces is two and more border checks - 'are those your kids sir?' I can't tell you how many f'kin times a month. while hilary and bush and dem taqlk about - double the border patrol.  well - what ah go say such is democracy.

If yuh eh happy...do something about it or move. 

Imagine Grenadians coming into TnT and complaining about we policies?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:11:53 AM »
Even born and bred Yanks and Canadians complaining.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »

is not only me gettin stop partner.  I ent know if you ever drive anywhere along the border here, but on every road there is a checkpoint..lewwe say you livin in tampa - do you think  it is fair to the people of tampa to put two or more points on every highway and major road where everyone has to stop and answer questions about citizenship, who hile you drivin?  do you have to drive with a passport and proof of citizenshipo everyday where you live?  do you have kids?  do you have papers to prove that your kids are yours everytime you drive in a car? doh talk forkery nah man. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »

is not only me gettin stop partner.  I ent know if you ever drive anywhere along the border here, but on every road there is a checkpoint..lewwe say you livin in tampa - do you think  it is fair to the people of tampa to put two or more points on every highway and major road where everyone has to stop and answer questions about citizenship, who hile you drivin?  do you have to drive with a passport and proof of citizenshipo everyday where you live?  do you have kids?  do you have papers to prove that your kids are yours everytime you drive in a car? doh talk forkery nah man. 

Okay...and other than venting on this board, what are you doing about the situation?

Doh worry...I dun anticipate your answer arready.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »
respec bro.  I don't know if you have a suggestion on a more productive way of trying to bring about change.  I jus figure that some men who does read this forum might be citizens and could vote...and hopefully they read the fineprints of the different politicians plans on the whole "border security" issue.  The original article talk about communities that based on cross border revenue (why dey doh move!).  If is even the few people here who not connected to paying the price for these decisions, I hope I could at least start to make some people aware that there is a consequence (as far removed as they are from the consequences livin in missouri).  I think that is a start and not useless ventin' in the air.  I don't believe Education is ever a bad thing.  But for all the anti-war protest I went to, bush still invade iraq.  maybe you could tell me a lil more on how things does run here.  how decisions does get made.   should I set up a lobby group?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
dat is real inconvenient

and if Barack get eeeenn, he doh talk wid "Lobby Groups" eh ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »
respec bro.  I don't know if you have a suggestion on a more productive way of trying to bring about change.  I jus figure that some men who does read this forum might be citizens and could vote...and hopefully they read the fineprints of the different politicians plans on the whole "border security" issue.  The original article talk about communities that based on cross border revenue (why dey doh move!).  If is even the few people here who not connected to paying the price for these decisions, I hope I could at least start to make some people aware that there is a consequence (as far removed as they are from the consequences livin in missouri).  I think that is a start and not useless ventin' in the air.  I don't believe Education is ever a bad thing.  But for all the anti-war protest I went to, bush still invade iraq.  maybe you could tell me a lil more on how things does run here.  how decisions does get made.   should I set up a lobby group?

...and this is what I talking about.

People have to organize.  Yuh say that is not just you, but other local citizens as well who up in arms.  What your community needs to do is to get together collectively as one voice and bombard the office of your state and congressional representatives with phone calls, letting them know what a disruption this is to your daily life.

Write letters.  Tell them (whether yuh'z ah citizen or not) that you vote for them, and unless the situation change you will vote them out.  Tell them that you and yuh chirren can't even ride to school or the grocery store in peace because they stopping allyuh and questioning yuh.  Tell them this is the US, not Gaza and as a citizen you shouldn't be harrassed on this scale.  Contact the ACLU and see if they're willing to get involved.

There is much that can be done with a little hard work, patience and sacrifice...but it depends on whether you and your community feel it would be a justifiable expenditure of your time.  I don't mean to harp on you personally, but I does get tired of seeing man venting about how evil and what not the US is...yet this is where they choose to make their home and they're not a constructive part of the effort.  We need to organize and manipulate the system to fit our needs.  White people do it all the time...we vote these people in and we must realize that strength in numbers carries the threat to them that we can vote them out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:42:58 PM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>