April 25, 2024, 09:42:10 PM

Author Topic: Coach Wim and his fancies, a real lesson.  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coach Wim and his fancies, a real lesson.
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
Former Soca Warriors coach Wim Rijsbergen and TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner in happier times.
By: Alvin Corneal

The story may have appeared to be one which Wim Rijsbergen wanted to leave an awful picture of our Footballers and by extension, the people of this country. Having read the article which was published in the local Newspaper, after it was given to the Dutch leading newspaper, I was only half surprised.
Here was a man who was invited to reside in this country as an assistant to one of his countrymen Leo Beenhaker. It was not a decision which the local Federation had to make, because they gave Don Leo the right to bring along his own coaching staff.
Those who followed the proceedings of WC Germany 2006 team preparation would have known that Beenhaker did not really want any assistants, other than to make take minor roles in viewing local players and maybe doing some scouting.
Wim would be the first to comment that he hardly ever agreed with his boss, but had to refrain from too much crosstalk against Leo’s philosophy.
In the middle of all this preparation, there were times when Wim may have rubbed some people in the wrong direction, with a special head on clash with David Nakhid who was also part of the coaching staff before he was fired.
We all knew the history of our trek to Germany and satisfactory performances by the team. We also are aware of Don Leo’s decision to move on and leave his friend and countryman with the job.
Whether or not Wim canvassed for the job, it will never be known, but if one was following the reports from him on the newspapers and TV, he seemed never satisfied with what was transpiring.
He groused consistently about the absence of the “blacklisted” players, to a point where one could have gotten the impression that there was a special list of names of the players which he agreed to coach at the national level.
He immediately claimed that the local players were not of the standard he wanted and the existing dilemma was not allowing him to do his work.
Certainly, that would have been an extraordinary arrangement. My impression is that a national coach is employed to prepare a national team with the players available in the country and wherever else our qualified citizens lived or worked.
He reluctantly worked with the local players in the Digicel tournament and gained good results, much to his surprise. He qualified for the Gold Cup in June of 2007 and failed only by a one goal difference to enter the quarter final stage, all WITHOUT the foreign based players.
Then the much needed mediation took place and happily, the players became available for the national team.
But just when we were waiting to see the former World Cup playing Dutchman marshall his forces towards South Africa 2010, he decided to enter some form of confrontation with the country’s Technical director, where his aggravating behavior provoked an unwarranted level of behavior.
The TTFF dealt with the matter in the way that they should and Wim’s acceptance of the suspension left us all with the belief that he knew he had done the wrong thing and would stay out his term.
At that point, it would seem to me that the federation should have had a look at his contract to determine whether or not he had contravened any clause in his contract.
This may have left them with a legitimate option to end his contract and get on with the job.
Clearly, the TTFF was unable to wait through the period and decided to look elsewhere for his replacement.
But instead of filing the lawsuit which he had claimed he would, he decided to explain to his colleagues in Holland and other parts of the world that he was working with a society where everyone tended to thrive on liming, drinking, eating themselves to obesity and sit under coconut trees.
My attention was drawn to this, not because I am unaware that these issues actually exist in many of our players, but I wanted to know how long ago, did the Dutchman have that impression of our people. Two and a half years is quite a long time, and I believe that it takes only about two holiday weekends to understand the mentality of our people.
If he did not like the lifestyle, why then did he accept the job? if he had a problem with Jack Warner making all decisions regarding his job, why did he accept it?
Wim was a very disgruntled man and never actually said good things about our Football and the local players.
Maybe the break in relationship between Wim and the TTFF was timely in favor of both parties.
In the middle of this confusion, do not ignore the comments made by Wim about the attitude of our players. We all have stories which will endorse this type of behavior by some of the players, so maybe this is an area which we must follow the message and not the messenger.
I hope that there were many lessons which are there to be learnt from the association with Wim. I have always been of the belief that many of the professional coaches who accept employment in lesser developed countries, must make careful assessment before jumping at the big payday.
Francisco Maturana is the most qualified coach which we have ever employed and his personality and lifestyle would probably be closer to our own. His English is not great, but he has been doing well to cope with it.
I wish Wim Rijsbergen well and hope that his coaching position in Holland will bring him to work with all quality players. That was his wish here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:29:18 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

Re: Coach wim and his fancies , a real lesson
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
But instead of filing the lawsuit which he had claimed he would, he decided to explain to his colleagues in Holland and other parts of the world that he was working with a society where everyone tended to thrive on liming, drinking, eating themselves to obesity and sit under coconut trees.

My attention was drawn to this, not because I am unaware that these issues actually exist in many of our players, but I wanted to know how long ago, did the Dutchman have that impression of our people. Two and a half years is quite a long time, and I believe that it takes only about two holiday weekends to understand the mentality of our people.

If he did not like the lifestyle, why then did he accept the job? if he had a problem with Jack Warner making all decisions regarding his job, why did he accept it?

Wim was a very disgruntled man and never actually said good things about our Football and the local players.

Maybe the break in relationship between Wim and the TTFF was timely in favor of both parties.

I dont like Alvin Corneal, I don'e ever agree with him.  Did I say that I dislike Alvin Corneal?

But....this time the man is speaking the truth!  I have been asking the same questions...why stay?  why accept the position?  I am glad that f**k-wit is gone!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
reading this article for me i wondering if Alvin reads this msg board...

most of the sentiments there follow the course of debate in the Wim thread.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:58:26 PM by omarldinho »

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:56:45 PM »
whats evident from this article for me is that Alvin reads this msg board...

most of the sentiments there follow the course of debate in the Wim thread.

well, at least the sentiments of a few posters.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »

Seems on point to me.

He hang himself attacking Lincoln....people kinda quiet about that like they cah believe is true.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »

Seems on point to me.

He hang himself attacking Lincoln....people kinda quiet about that like they cah believe is true.
come on dcs.  that is why wim get fired?  come on.  good article alvin corneal.  i waiting on the one about jack warner, the other name on the title (or maybe it was a caption for a picture).

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
the story say Maturana is the most qualified coach etc....
he more qualified than Leo?
not makin a arguement, i jus know Leo been all over and done well where he has been. (ent poland goin euro2008?)

WIm really had a bad attitude, but i have a feeling he was sour after getting the team THEN learning bout these blacklisted players.
but i kinda have a feeling his comments to his colleagues might be a case of sour grapes. A parting shot ya could say. HE do shit, might as well blame it on something other than himself---pass the buck.

As messed up as his comments r, it has SOME truth to it...hear me out...
Trini footballers in my opinion not professional enough. They may have a few obviously but i think the majority way too unprofessional and bitch too much bout the littlest things rather than just pulling up ya socks and moving forward.
We aint no big side yet, we make a WC, but as u can see from the Guadeloupe game, we aint progressing from that WC at all, sadly enuff.

So hopefully dem fellas go take that as some kind of motivation to push forward and prove Wim wrong, not that dey biz bout Wim, but have some pride in ya play and ya attitude as a PROFESSIONAL footballer.
Fete match, party and dem ting go always be there.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
does it matter?
he hang himself with that move.

Seems on point to me.

come on dcs.  that is why wim get fired?  come on.  good article alvin corneal.  i waiting on the one about jack warner, the other name on the title (or maybe it was a caption for a picture).

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:22:42 PM »
off topic a sec.

is it just me or is the time on this forum off?

Offline rick titus

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
I agree somewhat with Beeni's and and Wim's assessment of the local pro league level, but his comments about coconut trees, if true, sounds kinda racist. Is wa de ass he really sayin? It never fails, when it comes down to it, do these European coaches really respect us as men? You really have to wonder sometimes... Even African Cup teams are coached by Europeans. Doesn't that seem a little messed up? Are you trying to tell me that there are no qualified black coaches in the whole world! Black coaches all over the world face a different type of scrutiny than their white counterparts. I find it to be a very messed up situation, but when we do that to ourselves it seems even worse. I am glad Maturana is there because he deserves it! Even black NFL coaches had to go through that shit for years, I think it is wrong, and we need to stop perpetuating it.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
hm...is it racism, or the Federations in those respective countries being frustrated or not seeing a viable option for a quick-fire solution (eg. making the WC ASAP)?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:53:54 PM »
the story say Maturana is the most qualified coach etc....
he more qualified than Leo?
not makin a arguement, i jus know Leo been all over and done well where he has been. (ent poland goin euro2008?).

Some times it pays to read statements in their full context...

I have always been of the belief that many of the professional coaches who accept employment in lesser developed countries, must make careful assessment before jumping at the big payday.

Francisco Maturana is the most qualified coach which we have ever employed and his personality and lifestyle would probably be closer to our own. His English is not great, but he has been doing well to cope with it.

I hardly think Corneal is referring to Maturana's professional qualifications alone.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:57:08 PM »
I agree somewhat with Beeni's and and Wim's assessment of the local pro league level, but his comments about coconut trees, if true, sounds kinda racist. Is wa de ass he really sayin? It never fails, when it comes down to it, do these European coaches really respect us as men? You really have to wonder sometimes... Even African Cup teams are coached by Europeans. Doesn't that seem a little messed up? Are you trying to tell me that there are no qualified black coaches in the whole world! Black coaches all over the world face a different type of scrutiny than their white counterparts. I find it to be a very messed up situation, but when we do that to ourselves it seems even worse. I am glad Maturana is there because he deserves it! Even black NFL coaches had to go through that shit for years, I think it is wrong, and we need to stop perpetuating it.

Judge for yourself

“If you want to achieve something as a footballer, you have to leave the island at a young age,” he affirmed. “Only abroad you can teach them the discipline associated with a professional. Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,” Rijsbergen said. “That belongs to their culture, but between merriment and athletics is a huge difference.”

Source

Offline rick titus

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »
This man Wim sounds to me like a real ass! I've been to his home country Holland, and if you go anywhere at anytime, even during the day, you'll see a whole set of people liming, drinking, and smoking! Even their footballers are that way! They are however not under a palm tree, they are inside of a blasted bar surrounded by smoke and booze! What does he think that is? Is that not merriment? I agree we as Trini's like to lime and enjoy ourselves, but this man sounding a little racist to me. It doesn't sound like he respects our culture, he seems to be looking down on it like he is pitying it! I don't like Wim but Beeni seemed alright to me.

As far as players leaving the island he may have a point, but the island is that way because of what Europeans did to it, so he could eat shit with that statement as well! The reason players have to leave to play overseas is because they made the rule that you need caps to recieve a work permit to be considered for one of their teams. Again it is a situation where the players in T&T have to kiss their ass to make a decent living. European nations should be allowing every nation they colonized to have free access to playing in their country, especially since they reaped the benefit of using our islands to make themselves so much money. The Dutch, English, Spanish, and Portugese to name a few, owe our islands for their wealth and standing in society now, and they owe us for that. Players in our country shouldn't have to go overseas to make a living or a name for themselves, but that is how the system is set up. We perpetuate that system by ripping each other off; am I right Mr. Warner? Hence the hiring of Euro coaches. Why not John Barnes or Chris Ramsey or Paul Ince? Why not hire a black Brazilian coach? Hire people that grew up in our culture and respect us as men, and we will get the best out of our players! I for one always played better for coaches that respected me as a man first. Wim has his views, but he judges all of T&T with that same colonial superior way of thinking. He thinks that we don't count. He thinks we are inferior to him and his countrymen. Well I say to him "kiss our collective asses"! I'm glad he is gone. Beeni understood our culture, and used the best parts of it to make a good TEAM. He used that same spirit that Wim disrepects, and formed a union between himself and the players, and in turn got the best out of the players. Good coaches will do that, black or white!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »
I was a Wim supporter and have no problems with his comments about the players, clubs, set-up etc.

As a coach, from what he show with our players in the digicel and the Gold Cup he is no worse technically than 90% of the coaches that we have had pass thru.

I can't back him on the Lincoln issue though. That kinda assness is indefensible. His haters could make the case that it was just a signn of the contempt that he had for the locals.

My problem is with those who focused on Wim as THE problem in ignorance to the 800-pound gorilla in the room. If Wim was sooo bad who hire him and why. How come they don't get called to task.

It is too bad that Wim give Jack and them an out for the fact that the TTFF has done NOTHING to take the Senior Team forward since the World Cup.

But Wim was the problem and Maturana reach...South Africa here we come.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:41 AM »
I was a Wim supporter and have no problems with his comments about the players, clubs, set-up etc.
As a coach, from what he show with our players in the digicel and the Gold Cup he is no worse technically than 90% of the coaches that we have had pass thru.
I can't back him on the Lincoln issue though. That kinda assness is indefensible. His haters could make the case that it was just a signn of the contempt that he had for the locals.
My problem is with those who focused on Wim as THE problem in ignorance to the 800-pound gorilla in the room. If Wim was sooo bad who hire him and why. How come they don't get called to task.
It is too bad that Wim give Jack and them an out for the fact that the TTFF has done NOTHING to take the Senior Team forward since the World Cup.
well said there JDB
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 09:37:32 AM »

Why you have no problems with his statements?  How can a coach inspire disclipine and confidence through put-downs?

Did you read his comments after those performances by the players during the tourney?  The man expressed surprise!  If he was surprised then how can he be ascribed credit for the performances?  steups.

It is exactly the kind of contempt he had for OUR entire nation.  from day one, according to VERY credible sources he has had that prima donna attitude and bad mouthed all and sundry..leh he haul he stink ass.

Show me ONE person who has signaled out Wim as the problem for our current woes!  It is obvious that he was hired by Jack as no one sneezes in the TTFF without asking him permission, but the real question is, why de f**k did Wim stay if the conditions and the players were so bad?

On this point you are absolutely correct!  Wim had a contract and Jack was locked into it, but wim through his own assness gave jack an out.  I glad though, he was a shit pot.

you are being puerile here.  Wim was part of the problem, a smaller part than jack and his cronies, but a problem nontheless.  Sometimes yuh have tuh do ah root canal, oddertimes de teeth needs to be extracted!  Everyone here at least I feel so, knows that the problem is larger than the dutch ninny.  But dat eh mean he wasn't a problem in himself!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Wim and his fancies, a real lesson.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »
He qualified for the Gold Cup in June of 2007 and failed only by a one goal difference to enter the quarter final stage, all WITHOUT the foreign based players.

I didn't know that ?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »

Judge for yourself

“If you want to achieve something as a footballer, you have to leave the island at a young age,” he affirmed. “Only abroad you can teach them the discipline associated with a professional. Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,” Rijsbergen said. “That belongs to their culture, but between merriment and athletics is a huge difference.”

Source

anobody ever see the link to the original article (in the dutch newsaper) and maybe a babelfish translation/

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »

anobody ever see the link to the original article (in the dutch newsaper) and maybe a babelfish translation/

It's posted on the forum somewhere - under the Wim sues TTFF thread - and the above is essentially the babelfish translation if I remember what it spit out.

original Dutch:

"Alleen in het buitenland leren ze de discipline die hoort bij een prof. Het nationale tijdverdrijf is liming, rustig drinken, praten en eten onder een palmboom. Dat hoort bij de cultuur, maar tussen feestvieren en topsport zit een gigantisch verschil.”

babelfish (actually google translation):

"Only abroad teach them the discipline associated with a prof  The national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree.” That belongs to the culture, but between merriment and athletics is a huge difference."

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:57:51 AM by E-man »

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
Wim was a good Coach just not a good politician.

the stuff he say about the locals not being up too par is true but he should be more tackful,
But this is a personality thing.

He was very fustrated and rightfully so with the Black listed situation.

You have to see it from his point of view.
This is his first head coaching job and he need to get good results.

We had good momentum from the world cup and we throw it all away in Trini Style.

I surprise he did not quit a while back.

The Fight with Lincoln was caused by too much pressure,
because too much pressure does buss pipe.

The only problem Wim make was not to drive completion of the Black List.

By staying in the background he bounce he head with the TTFF.

jack and them is "old niggers" the only thing they understand is cuss and fight,

if Wim did cuss them out in public the first day they give him a shit list of players to choose from he would have cast the stone in play.

Either Jack will fire the "Great World Cup Caliber Coach" and face public vidication for doing so .

Or the TTFF would have to bring the players back and get to the bottom of the issue.

By playing with the locals Wim seal his faith.

His resume get screwed up because of poor performances and fustration level start to build.

Warner only understand one thing.

Face to face combat
Diplomacy is not an option.

The first day somebody walk up to jack and smash a carib bottle in he face for all the shit he does do, that will be the day he will sit down and shut up.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »
KND have meh rolling this morning  :rotfl:

"The first day somebody walk up to jack and smash a carib bottle in he face for all the shit he does do, that will be the day he will sit down and shut up. "

Is true yuh know... watch how he carry on for Andrew Jennings...  :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »
The Fight with Lincoln was caused by too much pressure,
because too much pressure does buss pipe.

what de ass you talking about?

wim was trying tuh fight a lot of people

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »
Man sayin Wim lacked tact who was more unfriendly than Don Leo but he took we to glory so it was ok.

As 4 Corneal as d amn say whey yuh assessment on JW. Dis is d man who say we performed well in d GC
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »
Man sayin Wim lacked tact who was more unfriendly than Don Leo but he took we to glory so it was ok.

As 4 Corneal as d amn say whey yuh assessment on JW. Dis is d man who say we performed well in d GC
Wim is yuh blasted man or what?

What de ass being 'unfriendly' have to do with 'lacking tact'?  De damn man making we look like ah bunch ah lazy shiftless n**gers lying around in de sun sipping rum and coconut water and you here talking about Beenhakker being unfriendly?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 09:01:44 AM »
No Bake he is yuh man
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »
Aside from he fighting and ting,

Was his assessment derived from a wrong understanding of our people and not our players. Or did he intertwine sports and culture? (just curious)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »

Wim is yuh blasted man or what?

What de ass being 'unfriendly' have to do with 'lacking tact'?  De damn man making we look like ah bunch ah lazy shiftless n**gers lying around in de sun sipping rum and coconut water and you here talking about Beenhakker being unfriendly?

You and rick titus reading into comments
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »

...while the jury still out as to whether you can actually read.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »

...while the jury still out as to whether you can actually read.

yeah ok he racist  ::)

1]; } ?>