April 23, 2024, 08:24:10 PM

Author Topic: Elijah Manners eyes US scholarship.  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Elijah Manners eyes US scholarship.
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:19:26 AM »
Manners eyes US scholarship.
T&T Newsday Reports.
[/size]

Elijah Manners, the 2007 Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Most Valuable Player, is eyeing a sports scholarship in the United States later this year. In a recent interview, the 19-year-old midfielder, who captained San Juan Secondary Comprehensive to the 2007 Big 5 crown, made the revelation.
“I’m working on a scholarship right now. I (got) a few offers but, at present, I’m working on my SATs,” he continued. “As I finish (at San Juan), hopefully, I can move on,” he said.
Manners, who will be writing his A-Levels in May and June, is studying Management of Business, Sociology, Caribbean Studies and Economics with the intention of pursuing a degree in Business Administration.
But the soft-spoken Manners made it clear that after this season his SSFL career will be over.
“This is my last year. I’ll give the younger players a chance (to shine),” he said.
Manners has been the captain of San Juan during their most successful period in the SSFL. They were runners-up in the 2005 Big 5 final but were successful in both the 2006 Intercol and 2007 Big 5 competitions.
“They say hard work does pay off, and I always say to my (teammates) ‘work hard’,” he said. “And when you work hard, you’ll get results.
“Over the past years we just keep on getting better and better,” he added.
Concerning the 2007 MVP award, Manners commented: “At first, I wasn’t feeling confident that I would have been the Most Valuable Player but (looking back at) my performance, I felt (it) was real good. I felt I got what I deserve.”
During the earlier part of 2007, Manners played a handful of matches with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh in the Pro League. And he made it clear that the experience assisted his growth as a footballer.
“Playing with experienced players like Aurtis Whitley and Cyd Gray (who took) me under their arms and helped me to be a better player,” he said. “I think that helped me a lot.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Elijah Manners eyes US scholarship.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:25:01 AM »
But the soft-spoken Manners made it clear that after this season his SSFL career will be over.
“This is my last year. I’ll give the younger players a chance (to shine),” he said.

De man is 19 ... if accurate, doesn't he have to move on anyway? SSFL age limit?

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:32 AM »

De man is 19 ... if accurate, doesn't he have to move on anyway? SSFL age limit?

Yes I think so, but he could still be in school...? Was never to sure about some of them things...

Hope he scores well, avg 1200 or so, could use a player like him at Maryland, American, Towson or UMBC.

Best of luck bredda, its a whole different world here... :whistling:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:12:55 AM »

when is he 20 this year?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
All de best Elijah  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:58:52 AM »
All d best meh boi
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:40:53 AM »
age aside...I thought after yuh write A-Levels is time to graduate and move on anyways? 

Oh well, I'm sure he'll be in school up here someway, somehow.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:48:38 AM »
age aside...I thought after yuh write A-Levels is time to graduate and move on anyways? 

Oh well, I'm sure he'll be in school up here someway, somehow.

I thought so too but In 1995 (dec) , I went to a disciplinary hearing in P'Town Senior Comp and saw Ike Juweran in uniform there and I though he was done with A levels by then too... which would have been 1994- 95 being his last year in college. When I ran carifta, 18 goin on 19 was the eligibility cut off years also... dunno if it is the same now ah days...

But best of luck bredda...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:21:52 AM by forever trini »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:09:18 AM »
you can repeat A-Levels but to play you must turn 19 after sep 1. since he is already 19 he cannot play next year.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »
Well tell him study then, because SAT's are no longer english and math.... and to invest in some under armor... and good eating habbits...train hard...

All de best Elijah.... go for it bredda... chance like this doh come everyday... ;D

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:16:06 AM »
some advice, please choose your school wisely...Make sure the Institution and department your getting your degree in is accredited, and finally, please study...don't get tied up with this, I going foreign and play ball. It does be hard work, practice and on d road all d time, MAKE SURE YOU STUDY!! You never know what the situation can be...Other than that...handle your SATs and the rest go take care of it self.

1]; } ?>