March 29, 2024, 02:42:31 AM

Author Topic: Happy Independence Thread  (Read 56360 times)

truetrini

The 1962 Independence Day Address Dr. Eric Williams
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2009, 11:38:31 PM »
The 1962 Independence Day Address

Monday, August 31 2009

Dr. Eric Williams delivered the following speech to the nation over the radio on August 31, 1962, the first day of Trinidad and Tobago’s independence from Great Britain:

Fellow Citizens,

It is a great honour to me to address this morning the citizens of the Independent Nation of Trinidad and Tobago as their first Prime Minister. Your National Flag has been hoisted to the strains of your National Anthem, against the background of your National Coat of Arms, and amidst the beauty of your National Flower.

Your Parliament has been inaugurated by Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal, the representative of Her Majesty the Queen. You have your own Governor General and your own Chief Justice, both appointed on the advice of your own Prime Minister. You have your own National Guard, however small.

You are now a member of the Commonwealth Family in your own right, equal in status to any other of its members. You hope soon to be a member of the World Family of Nations, playing your part, however insignificant, in world affairs. You are on your own in a big world, in which you are one of many nations, some small, some medium size, some large. You are nobody’s boss and nobody is your boss.

What use will you make of your independence? What will you transmit to your children five years from today? Other countries ceased to exist in that period. Some, in much less time, have become totally disorganised, a prey to anarchy and civil war.

The first responsibility that devolves upon you is the protection and promotion of your democracy. Democracy means more, much more, than the right to vote and one vote for every man and every woman of the prescribed age. Democracy means recognition of the rights of others.

Democracy means equality of opportunity for all in education, in the public service, and in private employment—I repeat, and in private employment. Democracy means the protection of the weak against the strong. Democracy means the obligation of the minority to recognise the right of the majority. Democracy means responsibility of the Government to its citizens, the protection of the citizens from the exercise of arbitrary power and the violation of human freedoms and individual rights. Democracy means freedom of worship for all and the subordination of the right of any race to the overriding right of the human race. Democracy means freedom of expression and assemble of organisation.

All that is Democracy. All that is our Democracy, to which I call upon all citizens to dedicate themselves on this our Independence Day. This is what I meant when I gave the Nation its slogan for all time: Discipline, Production, Tolerance. Indiscipline, whether individual or sectional, is a threat to democracy. Slacking on the job jeopardises the national income, inflates costs, and merely sets a bad example. The medieval churchmen had a saying that to work is to pray. It is also to strengthen our democracy by improving our economic foundations.

That democracy is but a hollow mockery and a gigantic fraud which is based on a ruling group’s domination [of] slaves or helots or fellaheen or second class citizens or showing intolerance to others because of considerations of race, colour, creed, national origin, previous conditions of servitude or other irrationality.

Our National Flag belongs to all our citizens. Our National Coat of Arms, with our National Birds inscribed therein, is the sacred thrust of our citizens. So it is today, please, I urge you, let it always be so. Let us always be able to say, with the Psalmist, behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity.

United at home in the common effort to build a democratic Nation and ostracise outmoded privileges, let us present to the outside world the united front of a Nation thinking for itself, knowing its own mind and speaking its own point of view.

Let us take our stand in the international family on the basic principles of international rectitude. When our time comes to vote, let it always be a vote for freedom and against slavery, for self-determination and against external control, for integration and against division.

Democracy at home and abroad, the symbol of it is our Parliament. Remember fellow citizens, we now have a Parliament, we no longer have the colonial assemblies which did not have the full rights of a Parliament of a sovereign country. The very name “Parliament” testifies to our new Independent status. By the same token, however, we at once become the object of comparison with other Parliamentary countries, inside and outside the Commonwealth.

This is a consideration which involves not only the Members of Parliament but also the individual citizen. The Members of Parliament have the traditional Parliamentary privileges guaranteed in the Constitution. The Speaker, the symbol of the power of Parliament, has his status guaranteed in the Order of Precedence.

ADDRESS from Page 4

We shall soon have a Privileges Bill protecting and prescribing the powers of Parliament itself. Measures are being taken to establish the responsibility of Parliament in the field of external relations.

The Constitution recognises the position of the Leader of the Opposition and the normal parliamentary convention of consultation between Government and Opposition are being steadily developed and expanded.

The Constitution itself, Independence itself, represent the agreement of the two political parties on the fundamental question of national unity.

The ordinary citizen must recognise the role of the Parliament in our democracy and must learn to differentiate between a Member of Parliament, whom he may like or dislike, and the respect that must be accorded to that same Member of Parliament ex-officio.

I call on all citizens from now on to accord the highest respect to our Parliamentary system and institutions and to our Parliament itself.

Democracy, finally, rests on a higher power than Parliament. It rests on an informed and cultivated and alert public opinion. The Members of Parliament are only representatives of the citizens. They cannot represent apathy and indifference. They can play the part allotted to them only if they represent intelligence and public spiritness.

Nothing has so demonstrated in the past six years the capacity of the People of Trinidad and Tobago than their remarkable interest in the public affairs. The development and expansion of that interest is the joint responsibility of the Government, the Parliament, the political parties and relevant civic organisations.

Those, fellow citizens, are the thoughts which, on my first day as Prime Minister, I wish to express to you on Independence Day. Your success in organising the Independence which you achieved will exercise a powerful influence on your neighbours with all of whom we are likely to have close associations in the next few years, the smallest and nearest, as part of our Independent Unitary State, the larger and more distant as part of the wider and integrated Caribbean community. Problems of difficulties there will be. These are always a challenge to a superior intelligence and to strength of character.

Whatever the challenge that faces you, from whatever quarter, place always first that national interest and the national cause. The strength of the Nation depends on the strength of its citizens. Our National Anthem invokes God’s blessings on our Nation, in response to those thousands of citizens of all faiths who demanded God’s protection in our Constitution.

Let us then as a Nation so conduct ourselves as to be able always to say in those noblest and most inspiring words of St. Paul, “By the Grace of God we as people are what we are, and His Grace in us hath not been void.”

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: The 1962 Independence Day Address Dr. Eric Williams
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »

Our National Flag belongs to all our citizens. Our National Coat of Arms, with our National Birds inscribed therein, is the sacred thrust of our citizens. So it is today, please, I urge you, let it always be so. Let us always be able to say, with the Psalmist, behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity.

We must never forget that.

AirMan

Hillary Clinton : Happy Independence Day T&T..
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC

August 30, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On behalf of the people of the United States, I would like to congratulate the people of Trinidad and Tobago as they celebrate forty-seven years as an independent nation on August 31. President Obama and I had the pleasure of visiting Trinidad and Tobago in April for the Summit of the Americas and we were grateful for the warmth and hospitality of the people of these beautiful islands. We value the partnership between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago, which is based on mutual respect and mutual interest. Our two nations have much in common – our values, our history, and our hopes for a brighter future for the people of our Hemisphere. Many families in the United States trace their roots to Trinidad and Tobago and they have contributed so much to our culture and our prosperity.

Our warmest wishes will be with the people of Trinidad and Tobago as they take part in Independence Day parades and commemorations. The National Awards presented at the President’s House will celebrate the spirit and accomplishments of a proud nation. And the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting will once again provide Trinidad and Tobago with a well-deserved showcase on the world stage.

On this historic occasion, let me reaffirm the commitment of the United States to work together with Trinidad and Tobago to strengthen and deepen our partnership.

Trinidad and Tobago Independence Day
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:40:26 AM by AirMan »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hillary Clinton : Happy Independence Day T&T..
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks Hillary
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
i wonder who really writes these things..
do they have templates and jsut fill in the blank with platitudes and recent happenings?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
i wonder who really writes these things..
do they have templates and jsut fill in the blank with platitudes and recent happenings?

That sound about right.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
OJTs who just graduate.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
I thought it was decent man.  thanks hillary.  better dan nuttin. I goh have yuh in mind fuh de independence. Happy independence day everybody!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
Thanks HILLS

Happy Independence Day to ALL
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC

August 30, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On behalf of the people of the United States, I would like to congratulate the people of Trinidad and Tobago as they celebrate forty-seven years as an independent nation on August 31. President Obama and I had the pleasure of visiting Trinidad and Tobago in April for the Summit of the Americas and we were grateful for the warmth and hospitality of the people of these beautiful islands. We value the partnership between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago, which is based on mutual respect and mutual interest. Our two nations have much in common – our values, our history, and our hopes for a brighter future for the people of our Hemisphere. Many families in the United States trace their roots to Trinidad and Tobago and they have contributed so much to our culture and our prosperity.

Our warmest wishes will be with the people of Trinidad and Tobago as they take part in Independence Day parades and commemorations. The National Awards presented at the President’s House will celebrate the spirit and accomplishments of a proud nation. And the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting will once again provide Trinidad and Tobago with a well-deserved showcase on the world stage.

On this historic occasion, let me reaffirm the commitment of the United States to work together with Trinidad and Tobago to strengthen and deepen our partnership.

Trinidad and Tobago Independence Day

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2009a/08/128444.htm

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »
Formalities formalities, i would much rather know how she really feels about our twin island banana republic.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Cops plan to boycott Independence parade
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2010, 06:05:24 AM »
Cops plan to boycott Independence parade
Published: 25 Aug 2010
With only five days away before T&T’s celebration of its 48th anniversary of becoming an independent nation, the general council of the Police Social and Welfare Association has taken the decision to boycott the annual Independence Day parade. Not only would they not be participating and attending the celebration but an immediate halt to all overtime work is also part of the council’s plan of major protest action. The decision comes after failure to increase salary and compensation for overtime due to officers, among other issues. A report on CNC3 last night quoted president of the association Sgt Anand Ramesar as saying officers have had enough of empty promises and disrespect. He also stated officers have reached a boiling point and so a strong message must be sent, not only to the police executive but also to the Minister of National Security and other relative officials.

He added that the salary being paid to police officers have not been finalised and the association believed officers could not continue to function on a 2007 salary in 2010. “In some cases officers have not received overtime payments in excess of a year. This is exploitation of officers,” said Ramesar. Ramesar, who had been in marathon meetings with the general council and other officials, said the recent announcement regarding the million dollar salary to be paid to new Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs and the response of the Prime Minister and other senior Cabinet ministers to that reached the breaking point.

Apart from that, he said, the recent killings of officers, including the latest—the murder of PC Jason Thomas, a municipal police officer who was killed while plying his taxi—further angered officers. The association said nothing was being said to officers to address their concerns and there appeared to be no sign of resolution on the table. “Because of this all police officers will no longer work the extra 12 hours overtime, which was only recently hailed by the police executive as the main reason for the largest number of narcotics and weapons being seized in just one week,” said Ramesar. He said all police officers have been told to boycott the Independence Day celebrations. “This is the first step and further action would be taken by police officers,” warned Ramesar.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cops plan to boycott Independence parade
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
woopdeefackingdoo... dey done boycotting the people of the country for years now with the pretense of protection and service.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2010, 06:32:02 AM »
The national parade is done as national service. The Police cannot boycott the event as it would be considered industrial action which is prohibited by members of the protective services. The association knows this and just using the opportunity to grand charge on the government through the media.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »
woopdeefackingdoo... dey done boycotting the people of the country for years now with the pretense of protection and service.

I get yuh point loud an' clear....................but still from d time d COP salary became public knowledge I knew the shit would hit d fan................we going an' pay two man ah set ah money, when ah much better idea would have been to retrained d trainers and d officers, bring ah team ah police training experts to give dem d trainin dey need

97% ah dem fellas cyah properly secure ah crime scene
cyah properly gather and secure evidence.
couldn't investigate dey ass out of ah latrine in pure daylight ..........wit out a "tip-off"
seems to have no clue how to handle accident and emergency...........ah policeman threaten to arrest people dat was tryin to resuscitate ah drownin victim not to long ago ???

.............and we bringin dese two men to do what exactly, what will they bring to the table in terms of getting our policemen up to scratch.......yuh not hearin nutten.

ah realise is slightly outside d point but it all comes to d issue of self worth ...................and as crooked as some ah dem is it jus feel like d govt and PSC take ah massive dump on dey head

grand charge or not but so it go..........
I pity the fool....

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »
from d time d COP salary became public knowledge I knew the shit would hit d fan...........

Lefty...Yuh on d money dey ....dem cops must be cussing now.....now self dey aint want to serve in d service...and if we to put we self in dem cops boots..we might feel d same malice
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »
The national parade is done as national service. The Police cannot boycott the event as it would be considered industrial action which is prohibited by members of the protective services. The association knows this and just using the opportunity to grand charge on the government through the media.

They could work to rule and/or sick out.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »

All dey have 2 to is sent a sick leave for tue.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:19 AM »

Their Association President said the parade is mandatory for some (he didn't specify which officers) but voluntary for most.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »

Their Association President said the parade is mandatory for some (he didn't specify which officers) but voluntary for most.....

D FDO'S -First Division Officers probably mandadory and yes they are peeps who like 2 Drill so dey volunteer but how u plannin 2 unvolunteer at dis hr?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »

D FDO'S -First Division Officers probably mandadory and yes they are peeps who like 2 Drill so dey volunteer but how u plannin 2 unvolunteer at dis hr?

Mih eh really taking dem orn is only mouth they have.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
48th Independence Message to foreign nationals
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »
Independence Message from the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, the Honourable Kamla Persad-Bissessar to nationals of Trinidad and Tobago on the occasion of the 48th Independence Anniversary of Trinidad and Tobago

On the occasion of our 48th Anniversary of Independence, it gives me great pleasure to extend warm greetings to all nationals of Trinidad and Tobago, currently residing away from the beautiful shores of our twin-island Republic. From my own experience, I know that it is on these special occasions that you feel more than a twinge of nostalgia for home; when the colours – red, white and black assume an even greater importance and the bond among non-resident nationals grows even stronger.

As you celebrate our Nation’s 48th Independence Anniversary, I encourage each of you to be true to our national watch words, “Discipline”, “Tolerance”, “Production”. Let us use these simple but powerful words to guide our daily interactions and to define us as a country and a people committed to the highest ethical standards personally and professionally.

Forty-eight years ago a small twin-island territory dared to imagine that it could move forward on its own, “with boundless faith” in its destiny. We took a leap of faith into the unknown, unsure of what we would encounter but certain that we would gain more by treading the path of independence. Today, that audacity to believe that we had the power within us to take control of our lives has resulted in a wonderful story of change, innovation and creativity.

Out of the debris of colonialism we have emerged a community of people at once resilient and resourceful, determined to build a strong, sovereign Nation. Our task now, as nationals of an independent Trinidad and Tobago, is to continue to channel that determination into a building a society which cherishes life, honours diversity, generates prosperity, encourages innovation and acts with compassion to its most vulnerable citizens.

To you, our nationals abroad, I also charge with the responsibility to ensure that Trinidad and Tobago does not gradually recede from the intellectual and cultural horizons of the new generations growing up overseas.

The culture and values of T&T must be transmitted to the younger generations making new homes in distant lands. These are the intangible ties that bind and influence who we are –“of Trinidad and Tobago parentage or heritage” must be spoken often and with pride.

As a young Nation, our journey of exploration and unexpected discoveries has only just begun. How that journey will end is entirely up to us. Let us strive towards a destination of prosperity, peace and security.

I wish you a Happy Independence. God Bless You and God Bless Our Nation.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:51:57 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 48th Independence Message to foreign nationals
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »
Hmmmm. It didn't directly state return and give back etc. Hmmm. Pretty pragmatic on that score.

truetrini

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »
Out of the debris of colonialism we have emerged a community of people at once resilient and resourceful, determined to build a strong, sovereign Nation.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Imagine how we might have been if we used to follow our watchwords.

Well...despite what...Happy Independence. Tings eh perfect..but...I cant think of anywhere else i would rather be.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2010, 07:36:20 AM »

Happy Independence day to all members of socawarriors.net. Just out of curiosity I would like to know how the foreign based usually celebrate Independence Day.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:54 AM »
Imagine how we might have been if we used to follow our watchwords.

Well...despite what...Happy Independence. Tings eh perfect..but...I cant think of anywhere else i would rather be.

:applause:  :beermug:
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »
It very difficult to celebrate Independence day in foreign. If it on a Friday, Sat, Sun. There are activities(Independence balls) in the various cities. But weekday Independence day kinda hard to commemorate. That being said, I am really proud of TT. We are a young country and have done some good and extraordinary things. But we have tremendous strides to make for the betterment of the nation. I really feel patriotic about Independence.

Now republic day, I ain't really care about too much. After the Abu Baka situation and seeing  how he went to the privy Council to save he neck, and we had to follow that order. What kinda joke republic we have. It is also a waste of holiday. It should have been celebrated with Independence day. Blame Eric on that one.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »

Now republic day, I ain't really care about too much. After the Abu Baka situation and seeing  how he went to the privy Council to save he neck, and we had to follow that order. What kinda joke republic we have. It is also a waste of holiday. It should have been celebrated with Independence day. Blame Eric on that one.

Try yuh best, I getting an extended long weekend this year because of it....in fact no Public Holiday is a waste.... ;D

That said, Happy Independence folks!!
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
In de unlikely event that I living foreign in the future....I think I would keep my tail home and let who ever suck some salt. If is one holiday dat i go celebrate is dat.

Buh probably I being idealistic.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>