April 19, 2024, 04:08:21 PM

Author Topic: I proud  (Read 21317 times)

d_#1Trinba

I proud
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »
In the name of our lord Iyesus Kristos that came to visit i'n'i a few years ago i want to testify that we are all trinba's as a nation we invented soca that was in 1987,i will not stop to repeat and repeat that it was one of the greatest moment of our two islands.I want to thank specialy ras shorty I and the love circle, a circle that has no segmentation but the limits of our lands trinidad and tobago.I'm proud to be a trinba's BE TRINBA LIVE TRINBA

Ps: please webmaster keep this message,it might be not the correct board but please...because im PROUD.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I proud
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:10 AM »
In the name of our lord Iyesus Kristos that came to visit i'n'i a few years ago i want to testify that we are all trinba's as a nation we invented soca that was in 1987,i will not stop to repeat and repeat that it was one of the greatest moment of our two islands.I want to thank specialy ras shorty I and the love circle, a circle that has no segmentation but the limits of our lands trinidad and tobago.I'm proud to be a trinba's BE TRINBA LIVE TRINBA

Ps: please webmaster keep this message,it might be not the correct board but please...because im PROUD.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

and what d ass does "Come to Meh Jung boy" mean??  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
Trinba ah feeling yuh eh.....but man still wah know.... What de ass is a "doogle" ::)?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:24 AM »
Trinba, Shorty began calling his music soca in the 70's not 1987, unless of course ah missing something. lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:33:29 AM »
Trinba, Shorty began calling his music soca in the 70's not 1987, unless of course ah missing something. lol

Yeah ah was coming to say I think he meant 1978 instead ah 1987, 78 was when Sweet Soca Music was released, the album that had "Om Shanti".  Even still, many hail Indrani as the song that actually got the genre going...and that was from 1973.

This getting move to Culture and Entertainment no doubt.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:37:14 AM »

Yeah ah was coming to say I think he meant 1978 instead ah 1987, 78 was when Sweet Soca Music was released, the album that had "Om Shanti".  Even still, many hail Indrani as the song that actually got the genre going...and that was from 1973.

Indrani kick it off ah remember sitting on ah railing in Couva with ah pardner and we was talking about how that song going to revolutionise kaiso then the late great master of them all Maestro really get it going followed closely by the immortal sugar bum bum and La La by Nelson.
Yes this looks destined for Culture section.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:54:31 AM »
Maestro was singing soca long before 78. i remember one of his greatest hits called tantie or uncle joe.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:26:59 AM »
soul calyspo
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 05:43:48 AM »
soul calyspo
BM..yuh wrong  :devil:
ask TI..he know everything bout music  ;D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 05:49:03 AM »
And here I was tinkin all dis time dat Endless Vibrations was de tune dat started it all.

Dis site rell educational wee.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 05:58:49 AM »
And here I was tinkin all dis time dat Endless Vibrations was de tune dat started it all.

Endles Vibrations came a year after Indrani. Many sources claim that Indrani was the start. But it was all around the early to mid 70's.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »
Omar please translate
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »
soul calyspo

Why do people always believe Soca is a mixture of U.S music and calypso. Soca is a fusion of Indian and Calypso music. :beermug:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:26:01 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 06:35:01 AM »
soul calyspo

Why do people always believe Soca is a mixture of U.S music and calypso. Soca is a fusion of Indian and Calypso music. :beermug:

Perhaps because the person who coined the term described it as soul of calypso?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 06:44:02 AM »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 07:02:28 AM »
soul calyspo

Huh!!
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 07:06:45 AM »

Indrani kick it off ah remember sitting on ah railing in Couva with ah pardner and we was talking about how that song going to revolutionise kaiso then the late great master of them all Maestro really get it going followed closely by the immortal sugar bum bum and La La by Nelson.
Yes this looks destined for Culture section.

We know you old ;D ;D ;D  you was old then  :o
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »
Trinba where you get the word "trinba" from?
Have you heard ppl saying it or did you make it up yourself?
For the Captain Obviouses out there I can tell it is a derivative of trinbagonian, I just never heard the word myself.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
Trinba where you get the word "trinba" from?
Have you heard ppl saying it or did you make it up yourself?
For the Captain Obviouses out there I can tell it is a derivative of trinbagonian, I just never heard the word myself.

de man does call port of spain, poston...so wordplay is nuttn with he

Until Omardihno do the translation I does just nod mih head nervously and agree
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:38:10 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 12:41:09 PM »
soul calyspo

He actually described it as "the soul of calypso".  Shorty was searching for music with a higher spiritual leaning (soul).  However as Swima has implied, there was already other music very similar to what we today call Soca, due to the various experimentations that were taking place at the time.  You had Maestro experimenting with Calypso and Cadence (Cadence-lypso) and Wellington fusing Calypso and American Funk for instance.  Shorty was the first to really define his music and with Indrani in 1973 and Endless Vibration (not just the song but the entire album) in 1975, Calypso music really took off in another direction.  Later in 1975 Shorty visited his good friend Maestro in Dominica where he stayed (at Maestro's house) for a month while they visited and worked with local Cadence artists.  Sadly a year later Maestro would die in an accident in Dominica and his loss was palpably felt by Shorty, who penned "Higher World" as a tribute.

Two years later Sweet Soca Music was released, with the runaway hit, Om Shanti leading the charge.  The incorporation of the Indian elements was obvious on this song, but had been there from the very start thru the influence of arranger Pelham Goddard (among others), who grew up in St. James and as a boy was an active participant in the Hosay festivals of his youth.  Shorty called his music SoKa, and gave his famous description of it as incorporating the two disparate cultural elements.  Sadly, times being what it was, many at home rebelled against this notion of adding anything 'Indian' to Calypso...and many admonished him to "stop trying to be Indian".  Even many Indians themselves were offended (first by Indrani...this 'creole' fella talking about this woman who is basically ah indian 'ho'), now by the near-blasphemous use of 'Shanti'.  Suffice to say the song was both revolutionary and controversial in it's impact.

Those against the name 'SoKa' gained momentum when the press started describing the music instead as SoCa...and from there the Soul and Calypso nonsense started...there was a decided push to discount the Indian influence.  Shorty eventually conceded the fight, figuring that winning the war (pushing his music higher) was more important than winning the battle (over nomenclature).  When Sugar Bum Bum came out shortly before the end of the decade...and everybody started focusing more on shaking their ass rather than shaking up the way they thought...Shorty then gave up the Soca ghost, packed up his family and moved them to Piparo and started focusing on Jamoo...with which he sought to make an even more complete break from Secular music.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:43:44 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
soul calyspo

He actually described it as "the soul of calypso".  Shorty was searching for music with a higher spiritual leaning (soul).  However as Swima has implied, there was already other music very similar to what we today call Soca, due to the various experimentations that were taking place at the time.  You had Maestro experimenting with Calypso and Cadence (Cadence-lypso) and Wellington fusing Calypso and American Funk for instance.  Shorty was the first to really define his music and with Indrani in 1973 and Endless Vibration (not just the song but the entire album) in 1975, Calypso music really took off in another direction.  Later in 1975 Shorty visited his good friend Maestro in Dominica where he stayed (at Maestro's house) for a month while they visited and worked with local Cadence artists.  Sadly a year later Maestro would die in an accident in Dominica and his loss was palpably felt by Shorty, who penned "Higher World" as a tribute.

Two years later Sweet Soca Music was released, with the runaway hit, Om Shanti leading the charge.  The incorporation of the Indian elements was obvious on this song, but had been there from the very start thru the influence of arranger Pelham Goddard (among others), who grew up in St. James and as a boy was an active participant in the Hosay festivals of his youth.  Shorty called his music SoKa, and gave his famous description of it as incorporating the two disparate cultural elements.  Sadly, times being what it was, many at home rebelled against this notion of adding anything 'Indian' to Calypso...and many admonished him to "stop trying to be Indian".  Even many Indians themselves were offended (first by Indrani...this 'creole' fella talking about this woman who is basically ah indian 'ho'), now by the near-blasphemous use of 'Shanti'.  Suffice to say the song was both revolutionary and controversial in it's impact.

Those against the name 'SoKa' gained momentum when the press started describing the music instead as SoCa...and from there the Soul and Calypso nonsense started...there was a decided push to discount the Indian influence.  Shorty eventually conceded the fight, figuring that winning the war (pushing his music higher) was more important than winning the battle (over nomenclature).  When Sugar Bum Bum came out shortly before the end of the decade...and everybody started focusing more on shaking their ass rather than shaking up the way they thought...Shorty then gave up the Soca ghost, packed up his family and moved them to Piparo and started focusing on Jamoo...with which he sought to make an even more complete break from Secular music.

I gonna add my 2 cents here ( kinda outta timin' and nowhere near as well researched as some of the other comments in this thread  ;D).... even though we come up we always looking for d origins and evolution of soca, it actually sounds very similar to alot of west african music thats been around for years. To a non-trini it wud be pretty hard to tell d difference.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
soul calyspo

I gonna add my 2 cents here ( kinda outta timin' and nowhere near as well researched as some of the other comments in this thread  ;D).... even though we come up we always looking for d origins and evolution of soca, it actually sounds very similar to alot of west african music thats been around for years. To a non-trini it wud be pretty hard to tell d difference.

yoy right. I know a fella from Ivory Coast who love to hear we music bad bad. When he see me he always ask for the cassette with the music(as he say) because it sound like back home in Ivory Coast. When de man put it in the player if you see how de man use to carry on.  ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »
ok, but i believe that the modern soca beat was a by product of the music fraternity in Trinidad and not the other way around. I have never heard of that beat being popular and credited to africa origins/music. Musicians in Sierra Leone say that during the late 19 century, sailors brought Calypso music to the coast of africa.
(for the lawyers...this is my opinion)

Here is the opinion of The Roaring Lion.....
"While most authorities stress the African roots of calypso, in his 1986 book Calypso from France to Trinidad, 800 Years of History veteran calypsonian The Roaring Lion (Rafael de Leon) asserted that calypso descends from the music of the medieval French troubadours."

Palos: a Point of order
And here I was tinkin all dis time dat Endless Vibrations was de tune ALBUM dat started it all.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:19:50 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

You're describing soca music as it sounds today...after 20 years of continued experimentation and evolution.  Back in it's infancy it didn't sound that much like West African music.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 01:50:19 PM »
soul calyspo

Yuh real get on with dat post. Last year i got the best of Shorty, I see it have a best of Maestro in Kams waiting fuh me. Dem fellas were geniuses, I doh care what anyone say.
 :applause:
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
Yuh real get on with dat post. Last year i got the best of Shorty, I see it have a best of Maestro in Kams waiting fuh me. Dem fellas were geniuses, I doh care what anyone say.
 :applause:

yeah man even for all de li'l knowledge I garnered over the years, I too didn't really appreciate the genius that was Shorty until I started listening to the songs as an adult...it was a near spiritual experience.  This was made all the more sweeter because the melodies were very familiar to me, even though I had forgotten them.  Some months ago I clicked on Endless Vibrations and listened to it for the first time since I was a very young boy...instinctively I remembered everything from the chord patterns to the crescendo of the horns.  I went back and read some of the tributes that came out in 2000 upon his passing and I felt a deep sense of loss...not only because Shorty was dead, but also because for all those years between my childhood and when he passed, he was among our midst...and like too many, I too didn't really appreciate the contributions he made to our culture.  Losing a cherished item is one thing, losing it after realizing that while you had it you didn't appreciate it, that somehow cuts even deeper.

I'm still re-discovering Maestro's music...

Palos ah owe yuh an apology man, I read what yuh say and thought yuh said he described it as 'soul calypso'...which is why I started my post with "actually...".  but you on point.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
I thought Maestro died on th highway in TT!!!

1]; } ?>