April 19, 2024, 04:39:13 PM

Author Topic: I proud  (Read 21318 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I proud
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »
I thought Maestro died on th highway in TT!!!
I thought he died in Dominica, but I haven't been able to verify it...what you say could be true.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 07:17:58 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
I thought he died in Dominica, but I haven't been able to verify it...what you say could be true.

It was in TT.

Yuh real get on with dat post. Last year i got the best of Shorty, I see it have a best of Maestro in Kams waiting fuh me. Dem fellas were geniuses, I doh care what anyone say.
 :applause:

yeah man even for all de li'l knowledge I garnered over the years, I too didn't really appreciate the genius that was Shorty until I started listening to the songs as an adult...it was a near spiritual experience.  This was made all the more sweeter because the melodies were very familiar to me, even though I had forgotten them.  Some months ago I clicked on Endless Vibrations and listened to it for the first time since I was a very young boy...instinctively I remembered everything from the chord patterns to the crescendo of the horns.  I went back and read some of the tributes that came out in 2000 upon his passing and I felt a deep sense of loss...not only because Shorty was dead, but also because for all those years between my childhood and when he passed, he was among our midst...and like too many, I too didn't really appreciate the contributions he made to our culture.  Losing a cherished item is one thing, losing it after realizing that while you had it you didn't appreciate it, that somehow cuts even deeper.

I'm still re-discovering Maestro's music...

It was their music and the music of that time that really got me into researching the works of artists during the 70's. People think it's only now that we fusing music with international infulences and what really makes me annoyed is that people criticize based on an opinion that today's soca is not 'pure' enough, when soca itself was born as a hybrid. Men like Andre Tanker, Shorty, Maestro, etc. forced artists like Kitch to re-think their methodology. It also gave rise to the Blue Boys, Shandileers, Rudders and Sound Revs. who were to come on the scene in the 80's and continue the experimentation.

Contemporary DJ's and artists in general in TnT do not take the time to be scholarly about the music they are trying to produce, and so like much else in the country, everything is done by vaps with the hope of a quick buck.

My first relative success as a producer was based on the music of that time though, and i will always say that what we did in the 70's would have made our music huge if we had a star like Marley. Shorty was actually approached by Island, though he refused the terms of the offer. AS my father says, maybe at times, one must stoop to conquer.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
It was their music and the music of that time that really got me into researching the works of artists during the 70's. People think it's only now that we fusing music with international infulences and what really makes me annoyed is that people criticize based on an opinion that today's soca is not 'pure' enough, when soca itself was born as a hybrid. Men like Andre Tanker, Shorty, Maestro, etc. forced artists like Kitch to re-think their methodology. It also gave rise to the Blue Boys, Shandileers, Rudders and Sound Revs. who were to come on the scene in the 80's and continue the experimentation.

Contemporary DJ's and artists in general in TnT do not take the time to be scholarly about the music they are trying to produce, and so like much else in the country, everything is done by vaps with the hope of a quick buck.

My first relative success as a producer was based on the music of that time though, and i will always say that what we did in the 70's would have made our music huge if we had a star like Marley. Shorty was actually approached by Island, though he refused the terms of the offer. AS my father says, maybe at times, one must stoop to conquer.

Swima...whose words are these?  Dat man call some real name there boy....Sound Rev, Shandileer....ah surprise he ent mention Taxi and Blue Ventures, lol

Niceness  :beermug:

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »
Doh forget Charliesroots ,Kalyan and Bever ban those days was dust in deh face .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »

Swima...whose words are these?  Dat man call some real name there boy....Sound Rev, Shandileer....ah surprise he ent mention Taxi and Blue Ventures, lol

Da's me, I mess up d quote function.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 01:08:42 AM »

well yuh take we back dey boy...and Zulu's mention of Kalyan too.  Charlie's Roots needs no introduction...from Rudder to Tambu dem was always up dey.  Never hear ah Bever Ban doh  ???

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »

well yuh take we back dey boy...and Zulu's mention of Kalyan too.  Charlie's Roots needs no introduction...from Rudder to Tambu dem was always up dey.  Never hear ah Bever Ban doh  ???

I feel he referring to Beaver the producer. A legend in the arena.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
Bakes the man name iz Bever Henderson, when they the ban members  came out on stage they were dress lin some shining clothes like space men .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Bakes the man name iz Bever Henderson, when they the ban members  came out on stage they were dress lin some shining clothes like space men .
Oh okay...never heard of them, I was probably still ah yute in dem days.

truetrini

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »

right after singing Bionic! 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 07:43:04 PM »
I came to the Us in Jan 77. I went to Labour that summer and got a ticket to a calypso show at MSG. Maestro was so supposed to sing in that show. But then I hear people in the show was commenting on his untimely death. The Big always know best as the Good Book says!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »
I came to the Us in Jan 77. I went to Labour that summer and got a ticket to a calypso show at MSG. Maestro was so supposed to sing in that show. But then I hear people in the show was commenting on his untimely death. The Big always know best as the Good Book says!!

yeah man, Heaven needed somebody tuh teach de Angel and dem chorus about dis new Soca thing  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2016, 02:43:36 PM »
Bump!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
Bess thread....

And now, "afrosoca"

African AND Latin people loving it.
Two islands are better than one.

1]; } ?>