March 28, 2024, 06:03:57 PM

Author Topic: Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland stint.  (Read 11800 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland stint.
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
T&T's Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland training stint.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s National Under 17 captain Leston Paul will join his fellow countrymen Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones at Sunderland next month after being one of the eight players selected from the Digicel Kickstart clinic to train for one week at Sunderland’s Academy of Light.

This was announced at the final press conference hosted by Digicel at the Terra Nova Hotel in Kingston on Saturday morning. Paul, a recent call up to the T&T Senior Team, was rated highly by Barnes who said that despite the fact that the Defence Force player was somewhat small in built for a midfielder, his level of skill and understanding for the game was enough to warrant his selection to go to Sunderland.

Of the eight players selected, two of them being late additions on the request of Barnes, seven are midfielders and one a forward. They include Joseph Guemley and Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Gerard Williams and Devaughn Elliot (St Kitts/Nevis), Akeem Brown (Jamaica), Emilio Limon (Surinam), Andrew Murray of Guyana and T&T’s Paul. The current T&T Under 20 team player, during his week in Sunderland will get time to interact with Jones and company and manager Roy Keane will also view part of the proceedings involving the Caribbean invitees.

Also in attendance at Saturday’s press conference was FIFA Vice President and Caribbean Football Union President Jack Warner, Digicel Group CEO Colm Delves, Jamaica’s Minister of Sport Olivia Babsy Grange and Jamaican FF President Horace Burrell.

According  Warner: "These eight players will help bring National pride back into Caribbean football. Guyana, Haiti, St. Kitts & Nevis, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica now have new young football heroes to recognize.

Caribbean football is strong, as recent successes in World Cups have shown, and thanks to this Digicel initiative we have had the opportunity to demonstrate that our young footballers also have the talent and the dedication necessary to make a mark on the International stage."

Delves furrtherexplained: "We are delighted with the fantastic success of our inaugural Digicel Kick Start Clinics and excited about the role this initiative is already playing in the development of our young football talent.

"Sunderland AFC has been a magnificent partner in this initiative and we are confident that their relationship with Caribbean football will continue to grow from strength to strength," added Colm Delves.

The Digicel CEO also acknowledged that the Clinics would not have been made possible without the extraordinary commitment and energy of former England footballer and Caribbean native, John Barnes, who coached all eight clinics in eight countries in the past seven weeks. President Jack Warner and the Caribbean Football Union were also acknowledged as being crucial partners in ensuring that all elements of the Digicel Football Clinics ran smoothly.

Digicel Kick Start Clinics' Head Coach, John Barnes explained the selection: "In the six weeks of travelling, we have seen an abundance of talent, dedication, togetherness and commitment. It is important for all of the boys to know that the chosen eight players will represent every one of them. They are Caribbean Football Ambassadors and my hope, and I know it is also the hope of Digicel and the CFU, is that their journey to the UK will open people's eyes to the potential of the Caribbean as an untapped talent pool."

The eight Caribbean U-20 footballers will begin their Journey of Champions on 23 March where they will spend one week training under the guidance of the English Premier League's Coaches in Sunderland AFC's Academy of Light. At the end of their week's training, the young footballers will visit the Stadium of Light to watch Sunderland take on West Ham in the Barclay's English Premier League.
Much hope for selected Sunderland '8'.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation Special Advisor Jack Warner says he expects Leston Paul to make maximum use of his one-week stay at Sunderland next month and is backing the little midfielder to bring back all the benefits to the local set up.

Warner said he remembered the days when the chance for any footballer to even step foot in Europe on any football venture was looked at as a once in a lifetime opportunity which came on the odd occasion  for the region. But now it has turned into a much more regular occurrence and is set to take off even further.

“I think the decision to take Leston was a good one. He has all the attributes of a good player and of course going there for the week will play a part in his development. It is up to him and the other selected players to make the full use of this opportunity and take it back to their respective countries. They must be role models for their other countrymen of that similar age group,” Warner told TTFF Media.

“I remember the days whenever there was the slightest hint that a player had a chance to play in England it was like a dream come true and now we are experiencing even more of these dreams. We have had John Barnes and Dwight Yorke and several others who have carried the torch and now we are hoping that with more opportunities like this one from Digicel will continue to keep that torch lighting.”

The other players selected to make the trip include Joseph Guemley and Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Gerard Williams and Devaughn Elliot (St Kitts/Nevis), Akeem Brown (Jamaica), Emilio Limon (Surinam) and Guyana’s Andrew Murray.

On the selection of Paul, clinic coach John Barnes said:  “The infrastructure, the dedication, the desire - these are the elements and the attributes I was looking for. Leston Paul who has been called into the full national team is the second player I have chosen. He was quite small because the rest of the Trinidad team was huge. He was their central midfield player, played in front of the back four but he had good quality, good skills and while he was playing against boys much bigger than himself he seemed to have the intelligence. A lot of is expected of Leston Paul, his quality really shun through in terms of his tactical discipline.”

“I have to say a I expected a lot from Trinidad and Jamaica but St Kitts really impressed me as well in terms of their interest and their organization,” Barnes added.

Warner meantime, revealed that more emphasis will be placed on the preparation of the T&T Women’s team for upcoming competitions. It is likely that both the National Olympic and Under 17 Women’s teams will head to the United States for training camps ahead of their respective CONCACAF final round tournaments.

Meantime, St Kitts/Nevis FA President Peter Jenkins extended gratitude for the opportunity given to two of his island’s bright upcoming talents.

“I didn’t come to Jamaica to hear the announcement because to me it was irrelevant. I came to give thanks to Digicel for giving hope to our country, our football development program and for giving hope to the boys of the region. This is going to energies the youngsters in terms of striving for excellence. This is what Digicel, the CFU and Sunderland have been able to do,” Jenkins said on Saturday.

“I am very, very pleased. We started on this youth development program about three years ago. We are on the right road and wee look forward to continuing our development. The boys who didn’t make it this time can now believe they still have a chance to go forward,” he added.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:28:17 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T's Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland training stint
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
A taught Toussaint say Haiti get about 5 or 6 picks ?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »

As I said on that thread....ah go wait fuh de OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

Always figured Jean and dem was torkin out dey ass.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »

There were short lists announced beforehand - that's probably what they had.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »

Do you also notice that the number of selected players have changed?

Actually, Barnes called the FHF and told them that 5 Haitians were selected and gave them the list of the selected Haitians. Then, things started to change. The number went from 6 to 8!  ;) (just business as usual)

Anyway, we have 2 players selected at the end and we are happy with that. Good luck to all the 8 selected kids.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »
T&T's Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland training stint.

They include Joseph Guemley and Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Gerard Williams and Devaughn Elliot (St Kitts/Nevis), Akeem Brown (Jamaica), Emilio Limon (Surinam), Andrew Murray of Jamaica and T&T’s Paul. The current T&T Under 20 team player, during his week in Sunderland will get time to interact with Jones and company and manager Roy Keane will also view part of the proceedings involving the Caribbean invitees.

Andrew Murray is from Guyana.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 02:03:52 PM »

Actually, Barnes called the FHF and told them that 5 Haitians were selected and gave them the list of the selected Haitians. Then, things started to change. The number went from 6 to 8! ;) (just business as usual)

Anyway, we have 2 players selected at the end and we are happy with that. Good luck to all the 8 selected kids.
Ppl lucky them 3 trinis in sunderland ,even get them to do this ,for the caribbean .doh coast nah

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »

Actually, Barnes called the FHF and told them that 5 Haitians were selected and gave them the list of the selected Haitians. Then, things started to change. The number went from 6 to 8!  ;) (just business as usual)

Like Barnes rel mamaguy JA and Haiti boy. First...according to Liopnpaw, Barnes say Haiti and JA had de best youths, yet he select 2 Kitticians and only one Jamaican. Den according to Toussaint he call dey Federation and tell dem 5 Haitians were chosen out of six youths from de Caribbean....

Like Barnes eh get de memo dat JA and Haiti run tings and should be representing de WHOLE Caribbean  ::)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:41:35 PM by FireBrand »

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
if allyuh check back in de thread ah start when cic beat malick

after seeing him play i now see who is the next latapy

ah doh care what nobody say
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 06:11:54 PM »
DIGICEL GIVES FULL BACKING TO CFU DEVELOPMENT.
Warner sets up regional sports ministers meeting
TTFF Media

FIFA Vice President Jack Warner was given the assurance on Saturday that the just concluded Digicel Kickstart clinic which provided the opportunity for Caribbean talent to go on show in the United Kingdom will by no means be a one off.

Warner, in his address at the press conference to announce the eight selected players for a one-week training camp at the Sunderland Academy of Light, said he was anticipating the continuation of such projects and hinted that the next club to get involved could be Premiership outfits Liverpool as he looked over the clinic coach John Barnes who was sitting to his left on the head table at the Terra Nova Hotel in Kingston.

And moments later Digicel Group CEO Colm Delves assured Warner that Digicel will ensure that the programme continues on an annual basis.

“While we are involved in football at all levels we do have a good passion for football. It will be our intention to look at it very closely as an annual ongoing event,” Delves said.

Barnes himself said the Caribbean will experience an influx of scouts and agents in the future as he relayed that initially there was a shortlist of twenty players before the eventual eight players selected. The other T&T players who were in contention were defenders Daneil Cyrus and Akeem Adams.

“This is the beginning of the way forward in the Caribbean for football. When we mention the fact that you will have so many scouts and agents coming to the region, opportunities will be provided regardless of clinics like this because people recognize the talent in the Caribbean so therefore you will have independent clubs coming down. Of course this is set up by Digicel and Sunderland but then there will be clubs that have nothing to do with us coming to look for talent so then these other players who have not made it have nothing to be disheartened about. The clubs will be here once the football is organized and they will be seeing the quality here. It’s a wonderful opportunity that Digicel has created but there will be others like this in the future,” Barnes told TTFF Media.

Warner also extended an invitation to the Jamaica Minister of Sport Honourable Olivia Grange as well as other Sports Ministers from throughout the region to attend the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s Centennial Dinner in September. Both Grange and the Nigerian Minister of Sport Abdullaram Gimba, after meeting with Warner last week, have already agreed to attend.

“I invited the Minister of Sport of Jamaica to attend the Trinidad and Tobago centennial dinner in September and I have done the same for all the other Sport Ministers in the region and also of Nigeria. I hope they all accept because when they all come what we have to do is find the means by which all our Governments in the region collectively can find ways to do things like what Digicel is doing. They can do it but they need the help and therefore it is against that background I hope that when the Ministers come they will do so and be  prepared to sit down and discuss with us how they too can help to lift the hopes and aspirations of our young people in the Caribbean,” Warner added. (Feb 23, 2008.Photo: Warner has the attention of Jamaica's Mins of Sport Honourable Olivia Grange, John Barnes and Digicel Group CEO Colm Delves.)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
I hope Leston get through. This could be his catalyst to becoming a world class midfielder.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:25:45 PM »
jah gol i think england is the place for paul i could be wrong
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
Nice selection dat
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm not a fan of the English brand but anything to expose him to highest level of football would be good for him. Playing against more talented players at a faster pace in a more physical style will enhance his ability. Paul has the capacity to grow into greatness. Success in England can only improve his chances of realizing that dream.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland stint.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
They include Joseph Guemley and Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Gerard Williams and Devaughn Elliot (St Kitts/Nevis), Akeem Brown (Jamaica), Emilio Limon (Surinam), Andrew Murray of Jamaica and T&T’s Paul. The current T&T Under 20 team player, during his week in Sunderland will get time to interact with Jones and company and manager Roy Keane will also view part of the proceedings involving the Caribbean invitees.

Shaun, over de past years I get to like the way you does handle we eh, but come on man, mistakes and mistakes in yuh writing making yuh look bad man.. Andrew Murray is from Guyana.

Them Haitians on this board boast so much how they get 5 picks and all they get is 2.... a loud STEUPS !!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 07:43:31 PM »
No consequences 4 being inaccurate
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
Where Lionpaw, Ja2099 and RF?

So they ent get One pick self.

After all d skill and how they were the most impressive etc.

steuppssssss

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
Shaun, over de past years I get to like the way you does handle we eh, but come on man, mistakes and mistakes in yuh writing making yuh look bad man.. Andrew Murray is from Guyana.

When it reach the press is be corrected or still have the mistakes?
Cuz we cud be getting it pre-release...and I guess it benefit him too for proofing cuz allyuh doh miss nutten.. worse yet big errors  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
Inaccuracy in journalism is akin to professional malpractice...it can be a career killer.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 09:36:38 PM »
When last a dr get charge 4 malpractice in TNT?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »
Inaccuracy in journalism is akin to professional malpractice...it can be a career killer.

Guys, lets not get carried away. Shaun made a simple mistake.

Of the eight players selected, two of them being late additions on the request of Barnes, seven are midfielders and one a forward. They include Joseph Guemley and Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Gerard Williams and Devaughn Elliot (St Kitts/Nevis), Akeem Brown (Jamaica), Emilio Limon (Surinam), Andrew Murray of Guyana and T&T’s Paul. The current T&T Under 20 team player, during his week in Sunderland will get time to interact with Jones and company and manager Roy Keane will also view part of the proceedings involving the Caribbean invitees.

Gerard Williams of St Kitts/Nevis plays with W Connection.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:01:42 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »
Barnes and Pacho on the same page, huh? Hmm.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:13 AM »
Where Lionpaw, Ja2099 and RF?

So they ent get One pick self.

After all d skill and how they were the most impressive etc.

steuppssssss

RF right here. what do you mean by this boss? "So they ent get One pick self."

Lets give the youth men a round of applause. Good exposure for all of them. the real surprise for me is St. Kitts getting two picks. Its obvious that their program is heading in the right direction. Barnes was obligate to pick at least one Jamaicand and One Trini...to appease both burrell and Warner I suppose.  I hope the camp will be held in the suumertime and not in the cold of winter or even spring. I dont think the kids can handle the winter climate :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:08:11 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 08:13:19 AM »
The real surprise for me is St. Kitts getting two picks. Its obvious that their program is heading in the right direction. Barnes was obligate to pick at least one Jamaicand and One Trini...to appease both burrell and Warner I suppose.  I hope the camp will be held in the suumertime and not in the cold of winter or even spring. I dont think the kids can handle the winter climate :)

In all fairness, W Connection should take credit for Gerard Williams of St Kitts/Nevis as he has been in their youth program since a very tender age. Andrew Murray of Guyana is also heading to Caledonia AIA this season. Glad to see T&T clubs continuing to help football in our region. W Connection introdued G.Williams to a professional enviorment that imporve the player.

Good luck to all the youths here, hope Leston Paul goes further and follow his country men Yorke, Jones and Edwards and join Sunderland.

I was surprise to see only two Haitians get pick. As Toussaint and Jean was here boasting they pants off. ...  :rotfl:

And RF and Jamaica2000 say Jamaica get 3 pick....  :rotfl:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:17:09 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
Anybody give me the general run down of the players selected if you know, speed passing tackling attitude, sorry but just names to me.  Any likely stars.

Thanks

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »
The real surprise for me is St. Kitts getting two picks. Its obvious that their program is heading in the right direction. Barnes was obligate to pick at least one Jamaicand and One Trini...to appease both burrell and Warner I suppose.  I hope the camp will be held in the suumertime and not in the cold of winter or even spring. I dont think the kids can handle the winter climate :)

In all fairness, W Connection should take credit for Gerard Williams of St Kitts/Nevis as he has been in their youth program since a very tender age. Andrew Murray of Guyana is also heading to Caledonia AIA this season. Glad to see T&T clubs continuing to help football in our region. W Connection introdued G.Williams to a professional enviorment that imporve the player.

Good luck to all the youths here, hope Leston Paul goes further and follow his country men Yorke, Jones and Edwards and join Sunderland.

I was surprise to see only two Haitians get pick. As Toussaint and Jean was here boasting they pants off. ...  :rotfl:

And RF and Jamaica2000 say Jamaica get 3 pick....  :rotfl:

Hehheh. Why you lieing on me Sam? I dont recall anyone saying Jamaica got 3 picks....in fact, I recall reading here that T&T got 4 picks. And yes, you can rightfully claim the St. Kitts youth as a Trini. Seems to be something you take real pleasure in doing. :)

Jokes aside, lets see how the lads perform when the camp get underway.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »
When last a dr get charge 4 malpractice in TNT?

HMMM, like never  :( i cah even recall
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
Good luck to Paul :beermug:...Hope he uses this opportunity to show his talent

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
nice... leston was ah king for CIC, scored some goals where yuh swear he was just kicksin around wit his opponents.

he has the potential.

lets see what comes of it.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
Congrats to all the boys on their selection.  To those unselected, nothing is guaranteed, but keep up the hard work and you may reap rewards.

Some good things happenining to T&T and Caribbean football.  Well done St. Kitts, yuh program bearing real tangibles.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

1]; } ?>