April 27, 2024, 08:25:42 AM

Author Topic: WASA run dry, Tobago United gets life line.  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
WASA run dry, Tobago United gets life line.
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:07:14 PM »
Policemen want to play.
...WASA run dry.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

WASA FC are definitely out, Tobago United are back in and Police FC are begging for the chance to stay in the T&T Pro League, despite a decree by Police Commissioner Trevor Paul barring all officers from participating in sporting competitions outside the Police Service.

Police only entered the Pro League last season after capturing the 2006 bmobile National Super League, but were a top club in the 1990s, being crowned Trinidad and Tobago champions in 1991 and 1994, FA Cup-winners in 1990 and 1994, and also doing well at the CONCACAF level.

Dexter Skeene, chief executive officer of the T&T Pro League, is still hoping to have the lawmen play, despite the fact that the season is due to start on April 5. The policemen have been give some additional time to declare their position.

"We have not received a final decision from Police. They have asked us for a week and we have given them that," said Skeene, while also revealing a couple new teams have made inquiries and are eager to take the place of the policemen.

Skeene said it was too early to name the candidates, since they are still in preliminary discussions.

Muhammed Isa, technical director of the Police team and a former Trinidad and Tobago national coach, also indicated that Police FC officials are still hoping to convince the top brass in the Police Service of the merits of having a team playing football at the top level in T&T, stating: "There's a meeting on Tuesday, and a decision will be taken there."

While doubt still surrounds Police FC's involvement, WASA's dreams of playing professional football for the first time have ended, according to information gathered from both Skeene and WASA FC team manager Ralph Haynes.

WASA FC, the 2006 FA Trophy champions, earned the right to play in the Pro League after capturing the 2007 bMobile National Super League title.

"WASA informed the League that they will be unable to take up the offer to particulate in the Pro League for this season," said Skeene, while also revealing that WASA's demise has benefitted Tobago United, the team which has finished bottom of the Pro League all five seasons they have played.

"Tobago United have been informed and they are very excited," Skeene declared.

Haynes explained that WASA FC were not able to take up the opportunity to join the Pro League due to several factors not actually related to the playing field.

Most stemmed from his team's inability to meet the financial requirements to field a fully-professional team.

"We are not a football organisation and we don't retain funds. Therefore, it would have been difficult to explain to the public our using public funds to play at the level of the Pro League, which will be very expensive.

"So, it's prudent to stay at the Super League level. Our goal now will be to defeat the Pro League teams whenever we meet them," said Haynes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:21:05 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WASA run dry, Tobago United gets life line.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
Hard luck dey WASA. I hope Trevor stop being childish and let d boys play
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:21:34 PM »
always wanted to know how d rass they go play pro if the govt have to pay dem men

hard luck bennet theres always futsal
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
always wanted to know how d rass they go play pro if the govt have to pay dem men

hard luck bennet theres always futsal

Well the Army and Police is a precedent.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Why Tobago do have any youth teams?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »
I just get redirected to the youth proleague when i try to go on the site, and I just realise that Tobago United don't have one let alone the two youth teams that Ma Pau and all the other teams have.

I thought that was an obligation to be a Proleague team. Why are they exempted? I have nothing aaginst Tobago, but they been pulling stones in the league long enough. You mean on top of all a that they have special dispensations from the rules as well  ???
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>