April 24, 2024, 10:16:03 PM

Author Topic: Smith, Tinto to rock their chances at Earthquakes.  (Read 5758 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Smith, Tinto to rock their chances at Earthquakes.
« on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
Smith, Tinto to rock their chances at Earthquakes.
By: Randy Bando (ttproleague).

Caledonia AIA players Conrad Smith and Hayden Tinto will spend a week each at Major League Soccer club San Jose Earthquakes on trial in efforts to earn foreign contracts ahead of the new season.

Caledonia AIA head coach Jamaal Shabazz confirmed this week that 25 year old striker Smith left Trinidad on Sunday while 22 year old midfielder Tinto will leave on Wednesday to join the Earthquakes.

The arrangement was made through the players’ agent. Both Smith and Tinto have represented the Trinidad and Tobago national senior team. Smith finished last season with 7 goals in the TT Pro League while Tinto had 4 to his name.

Last month MLS club FC Dallas opened the invitation for Conrad Smith and Caledonia AIA teammate Sheldon Emmanuel. Smith’s agent saw the Earthquake opportunity as a more feasible one hence Trinidadian passing on the Dallas opportunity.

For the Caledonia AIA captain Emmanuel, it was a case of VISA problems. The St Lucien defender missed his first opportunity with Dallas due to a delay in his VISA application but is expected to join the MLS club later this month (March), when FCD returns from their Brazil pre-season trip to Clube Atletico Paranaense.

Emmanuel, Smith and W Connection goalkeeper Marvin Phillip were all spotted in action by FCD coaches during their visit to Trinidad last December and participation in the Shaka Hislop Tribute Cup put on by the TT Pro League.

FC Dallas’ Brazilian partner Clube Atletico Paranaense were also part of the tournament. Goalkeeper Phillip spent a week in February with Dallas but until now, no information has been released whether or not a contract offer is imminent.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:41:48 PM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Smith, Tinto to rock their chances at Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »
larddddddddddddddoooooooooooo

good and bad news at de same time

congrats fellers

hard luck cali. it go ba hard to back cali without these men and plus de rastaman gone :'(
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
So Tinto hasn't even made it up yet. An earlier press release said he was flying up 2 Thursdays ago. I'll keep an eye out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:39 PM »
larddddddddddddddoooooooooooo

good and bad news at de same time

congrats fellers

hard luck cali. it go ba hard to back cali without these men and plus de rastaman gone :'(

Is jes a trial hoss.

Dem go be real long shots to make de team.  Good luck to dem of course.

More likely, both go be back with Caledonia.  We all hope is not so and dat dey mek de team, crack de startin lineup, go on to star fuh de Earthquakes, get traded to a top British side and light up de EPL.  But de reality often is far different.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
well cali will have just play the ah all  Guyanese team  if smith and tinto pick up contracts

tuff luck for marvin though
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »
How come Smith can't trial for both teams??....it couldnt be a conflict of interest thing
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
The Quakes have pretty much solidified their defense and mid, but are looking to put their attack together.

They currently have Gavin Glinton (Turks and Caicos) on the roster as well as Fabrice Noel (Haiti) in camp.

edit: The MLS waiver draft is today at 3pm. Pacheco and Telesford in the running.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:14:24 PM by E-man »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Smith, Tinto to rock their chances at Earthquakes.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »
tinto have plenty touches and speed.

come Tinto!
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
Ah feel for these guys who getting blank, but the opportunities are coming fast and furious now. Keep the faith fellas, you know what is required now, and you will make it soon enough.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »
tinto have plenty touches and speed.

come Tinto!

he going places...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
Anyone know Tinto's age/birthdate?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »
Anyone know Tinto's age/birthdate?
August 31st, 1985
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »
Ok unfortunately I was stuck at work and missed this game against my alma mater, but the Quakes beat Cal 3-0 yesterday and both T&T trialists figured into it. Conrod scored the 2nd with an assist from Tinto.

Here's a match report from another fan that was there.

ok, i watched the second half from a stump partway up the hill on the end the quakes were attacking and our backup guys looked pretty good. it was yuri with the first goal maybe ten minutes into the half, then one t & t trialist #25, conrad smith, with the second. he could have had another if his finishing had been better. it was definitely #14 matt hetzke with the third right near the end. he's "very white". i'm pretty sure #33 was the other t & t trialist, hayden tinto. he's small and real fast. he played the whole second half at outside right mid and i thought he looked dangerous and got the assist on the second goal but i don't know what he brings over shea salinas who had a nice first half. i noticed that we played adam smarte the whole second half at right back. he didn't look completely comfortable there but he made up for any errors in positioning with his speed.

we didn't look so sharp in the first half as cal held the quakes first team to 0-0. granted we had virtually all of the possession but we couldn't finish. kamara had several chances and the cal keeper made some nice saves. they kept their defensive shape pretty well and were content to sit back and spring a couple of counters but joe was never really tested.

it got a little chippy towards the end of the first half when grabavoy made a pretty rough two footed tackle from behind on a cal player after losing the ball, he didn't get a card though, and some of the cal kids got pissed off when kamara continued with a break away when one of their guys was down way back on the quakes end of the field. the quakes looked pretty frustrated at the half. we certainly could have been better and corrales, for one, didn't have a good match. the cal kids deserve a lot of credit for playing hard and not backing down during the game. they made some chances as well.

btw from my experience spelling of names in T&T (including my wife's) is somewhat arbitrary, but Conrod or Conrad?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:03:31 PM by E-man »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 03:15:39 PM »

btw from my experience spelling of names in T&T (including my wife's) is somewhat arbitrary, but Conrod or Conrad?

I think its Conrad

Good to hear they had good games.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:18:38 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »
thanks for the update and dont worry if allyuh fulll on the right just play tinto on the left and all is well ;D
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »
Thanks eman
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
"Trinidad & Tobago internationals Conrad Smith and Hayden Tinto were given a run-out by Yallop last week, with Smith showing enough to accompany the side to Charleston for the week-long Carolina Challenge Cup, while Tinto was sent home."

from mlsnet.com:
San Jose remain in search of a striker

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
Looks like Smith is out now, too

This is just a rumor from a blog, not a confirmation.

"Forward shuffle continues

By Jeff Carlisle · March 25, 2008

Conrad Smith and Yuri Morales are out. Ryan Johnson is in, for the moment. Johnson is a forward out of Oregon State who was drafted in 2006 by Real Salt Lake and later shipped to Chicago. He spent part of 2007 overseas before returning to play indoors with the New Jersey Ironmen. He has made one appearance for the Jamaican national team."

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 05:13:11 PM »
That Johnson cyah be de same tall slim man playing for NJ indoors? He seem to be a decent athlete but with little else to offer. He play JA national team? Laaaaaaaawd
Doh loss yuh head boss

1]; } ?>