March 28, 2024, 05:14:44 PM

Author Topic: Maple racks up 90 years of football ‘Government’.  (Read 6069 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Maple racks up 90 years of football ‘Government’.
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
Maple racks up 90 years of football ‘Government’.
By: Gregory Trujillo (Guardian).

The club that stakes claim to being the first to have the distinction of having its entire forward line selected to represent T&T in football is celebrating the incredible feat of 90 years in existence.

Maple, known as the “Government”, will be celebrating its 90th anniversary with a dinner and awards function on May 9 at the Ken Galt Hall at the Centre of Excellence, Macoya, Tunapuna.

The club actually reached the milestone last year, having been founded in 1917 by a group of old boys from Queen’s Royal College and St Mary’s College.

Football was the main sporting activity in its early years but Maple went on to play cricket at the highest level not long after.

In addition, the club members were involved in other sporting disciplines such as table tennis, lawn tennis and billiards.

In earning countless championships and producing individual champions from time to time, the “Government” not only ruled but but molded its players into respectable individuals in the society.

The Maple forward line of J A R “Babsie” Daniel, Clifford A Roach, Sydney deCoteau, Ellis “Puss” Achong and Harold Achong lined up for T&T in 1927.

Of this famous group, Roach and “Puss” Achong showed their all-round ability by becoming international cricketers.

Maple has had the distinction of not only producing top sportsmen but had among its membership many nationals who have distinguished themselves in the academic field both at home and abroad.

Listed among these are Dr Aldwyn G Francis, many times Maple president and also head of the national football and cricket associations; Victor Bruce, the first governor of the Central Bank, and Sir Hugh Wooding, the first local Chief Justice.

In addition, there were prominent public fighures as Sir Courtnay Hannays (legal luminary), Ainsworth Harewood (another Central Bank Governor) and Professor Courtney Bartholomew, internationally recognised HIV consultant.

Apart from Roach, who was the first centurion and double centurion of West Indian cricket, listed among the Maplenites who became national heroes were West Indies fast bowlers, Prior Jones and Lance Pierre.

Also among the elite group were West Indies wicketkeeper Ralph Legall, Andy Ganteaume (he played only one Test match for WI), who could lay claim to the highest Test average with his score of 112, slow bowler Ellis “Puss” Achong, who is the only Test player of Chinese heritage, and Ollie Corbie.

In football, 20 years after Maple became the first club to have its entire forward line play for T&T, arch rivals Malvern duplicated the feat.

Maple did not only produce great forwards, but also exciting and talented midfielders.

At one time midfielders Conrad Braithwaite, Allan Joseph and Noel Winn lined up together to play for T&T, thus creating another record for the men in maroon and gold (old).

In 1965, another Maple midfielder Sedley Joseph, the brother of Allan, was elected captain of T&T’s first World Cup squad.

Also included in that World Cup side were Maplenites, goalkeeper Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips (now Technical Director of football in T&T), midfielder Kenny Furlonge, defender Tyronne “Tank” de La Bastide and forwards Andy Aleong and Alvin Corneal.

Coach of that first World Cup team was Braithwaite.

Over the years, Sedley Joseph has been hailed as arguably T&T’s best ever football captain in the same way that Maple footballer (Sir) Matthew Nunes has been recognised as arguably T&T’s cleverest and best ever dribbler.

IN 2004, Sedley Joseph was presented with the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit, an honour which ushered him into the esteemed company of such football legends as Pele of Brazil, Platini of France and Maradonna of Argentina.

History will recall Maple as the club which twice won the football league championship for four consecutive years (1950 - ’53 under Allan Joseph and 1960 - ‘63 under brother Sedley Joseph).

Coincidentally, Braithwaite, who was a player in the 1950 - 1953 era, was the successful coach of the team over the 1960 - 1963 period.

Maple has the longest list of players who have represented T&T at football throughout the years, leading up to one of the current national goalkeepers Claytob Ince, who was a member of the club when he was first called to national duty.

At present, Maple has as its president 81-year-old Paul Regis, who was also a talented footballer-coach in his day.

Regis, who joined the club in 1946, was trainer of the national team from 1967 to 1975.

Among the oldies still alive are Carlton John (93), Allan Joseph (91), Ganteaume (86) and Tim Joseph (86).

Although not actively involved in cricket, the legacy of Maple is still alive in football as the club has a team competing in the Northern Football Association.

That team will begin training sessions for the coming season under coach Ralph Bartholo on March 18.

Any record of football in T&T would be incomplete if the name Maple is not mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:23:16 PM by Flex »

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maple racks up 90 years of football ‘Government’
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
This team should be one of the big clubs in the PFL  ahh wonder if they would get good support if they joint the league another big club that when down the drain was Colts 
Empty barrels make the most noise

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:40:22 PM »
This team should be one of the big clubs in the PFL  ahh wonder if they would get good support if they joint the league another big club that when down the drain was Colts 

Jack warner destroyed all dem clubs saying dat dey too elite!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
Is rolf bartilo still part of that club, i remeber when he was the coach/ manager. fellas like lincoln bains, trevor "masters" james, and david "bow wow" vollere all came through the maple ranks.

them men also played for corneal, and traveled all over the region playing football. those were real football loving days when ppl used to stand in the rain to watch a match. like i said , those were the days.             positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maple racks up 90 years of football ‘Government’.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
Congrats to Maple on staying around this long. It is a pity that a team with such pedigree cannot get a sponsor to take them to the professional level. The same can be said about Malvern, my second favorite team after Essex. But seeing that these two historic teams are still barely surviving, the two organizations should come together and form Maple & Malvern Sporting Clubs and try contesting the PFL.
      There still nostalgia for these two teams in POS environs. With all the big names they mentioned in the article, it is hard to believe these guys cannot get a decent sponsor. It would be sad if in the next 5-10 years these two clubs are not around.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:33 PM »
Maple to mark 90th aniversary with dinner, awards ceremony
Express

Tuesday, April 29th 2008

centurion: Andy Ganteaume

On Friday May 9, one of the country's oldest and most successful sporting clubs, Maple, will host a Dinner and Awards Function to mark, belatedly, their 90th anniversary.

The event will be held at the Ken Galt Hall at the Centre of Excellence in Macoya, Tunapuna.

The club, formed by past students of St Mary's and Queen's Royal colleges, was established in 1917 under the presidency of CO Waterman, so the 90th anniversary was officially last year.

And while recent decades will not be counted among the most illustrious of the 90, Maple still boast a proud record of achievement, primarily as a football club but also as an institution that produced outstanding cricketers.

Included in their ranks is Andy Ganteaume, also a football representative but who is remembered in the world of international cricket as the man who made a century in his only Test match for West Indies and was not selected again.

Also a Maple star was Clifford Roach, who scored the West Indies' first century and double century in Test cricket.

The club also produced Test players in fast bowlers Lance Pierre, Prior Jones and wicketkeeper Ralph Legall and spinner Ellis "Puss" Achong.

In football, the club, known in their heyday as "The Government", twice won a beaver-trick of Port of Spain Football League (POSFL) titles, first from 1950-1953 under the captaincy of Allan "Caracas" Joseph and then from 1968-1970 under Joseph's younger brother, Sedley, national captain of Trinidad and Tobago's first World Cup squad in 1965.

Maple have also won five FA Trophy titles.

The Joseph brothers were just two of a host of famous Maple players to have played for T&T. Also on that long list is former national coach and forward Alvin Corneal, Tyrone "Tank" de Labastide, Matthew Nunes and Andy Aleong.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:03:20 AM »
Maple is SHIT....I say so because for a team with that History...they playing North Zone...dem eh care

is real " Scotch and coconut Water" old boys club shit.... they have no shame..it eh no giving back at all...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:44:44 AM »
I must say well done Maple and like all other teams from the past THANKS for the good memories you have given those that were fortunate to watch you all play,you all are one of the pillars on which T&T Football stands today.

Like everything else everybody has their time and i don't think there is any place in the modern game for teams like Maple/Malvern/Colts etc anymore,it's the reason why teams have all these funny names today,the youths don't want to hear about those old clubs,they not joining because it makes them feel old,check something the guys who talk about these clubs are guys like myself,nothing you do will bring back any of these clubs.

What i admire about our clubs back then though was that everything was home-made,no foreign Coach,all players were home based,the players were very skilled don't know where they develope that,the leagues had quality Football,the crowds were large for every game,plus the price was right when ever we had to pay,when foreign teams came home they always had a game on their hand.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »
A lime 4 d old foggies let dem enjoy it dey deserve it
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
Hooray to Maple. I hope the club still around for the 100.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 07:51:39 AM »
Big Magician,

When I saw your post about Maple, I was shocked by your strong words about the club.  I have never met you, but you have always given me the impression of being a very rational and understanding person. 

As you probably know, I am a former Maple player.  I have to admit that I was initially angered by your post, but as I started to think about it, I began to get more and more pissed off – not at you, but at Maple.  As they say, there is a thin line between love and hate.  How could this happen?  How could all these “so called” leaders allow an organization of such magnitude to fall?

In 1987, I went home for Carnival and I attended a fete at the new Maple Club in the back of Woodbrook Youth Center.  I felt so proud to be a Maplelite.  However, within a short time, these prominent citizens lost the club.  I could not believe it.

I can just picture the 90th Celebration Gala – a bunch of fogies talking about the good old days and recognizing each other for their contributions.  If they give an award to the most outstanding member of the club, this honor should easily go to Rolph Bartolo for his hard work and dedication to the organization for over 30 years. 

Instead of placing medals and purple hearts on the chests of folks who played for the club, T&T, and the West Indies in 1930s – 1960s, this Gala should be about the revitalization of the organization.  It is really a shame!

Trevor Leiba

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Trevor...i am happy you see the big pitcture...is real scotch and cocnut water going on dey....

3 yrs ago...2 fellas came up with an investment plan to bring back maple...and called me into a meeting to be part of it...and de foggies run dem...scotch and coconut water...

and yuh Right...Rolf Bartolo do real work for de club...great fella..i know him over the years when i was a journalist...then when i was a coach...and i travelled on the same flight to Germany with him...

if dey so proud of this...den organise de club...where de cricket team also...???...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »
I congratulate Maple for still hanging in there, as I had said in my previous post.

I really understand the fustration former Maple players are feeling when they look at the current clubs playing in the pro-league. You asked yourself, why Maple and Malvern not there. Well, I come to the conclusion that all these clubs, Maple, Malvern and all the defunct POSFL clubs were all benevolent associations. They were mainly, but not totally supported by the people from the  different areas of POS. The people who ran them were by and large volunteers. Now that we have a pro-league, they are still stuck in that era.

Running a pro-teams means having money to pay peolple to run the clubs. Maple/Malvern made no effort to change their  mindset. They all want sponsorship but do not want to relinquish control of the club. Look at the most successfull clubs in the TT. They are run by wealthy Trinis. Jabloteh(Duprey) probable has a committee to run the club. Connection(John Williams run thing there). Joe Public(need I say more). Them 3 like Belusconi, Chelsea money man and the commitee that runs Man U.

The old surviving clubs have to change their mindset and bring in big sponsors. How come Maple or Malvern could not get Ma Pau to sponsor them?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
An organisation with all this tradition and history should be playing top flight T&T football and not in a small league like the Northern Football Association..How much recognition will their players get in that league! steupse  :-\
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:35:03 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »
Sando Prince,
                      The same goes for teams in the South. Juniors, Hurricanes, Strykers, Civic Center, etc. I leave out Police, DF, WASA, Telco. They are under the government(we tax money) budget.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »
Sando Prince,
                      The same goes for teams in the South. Juniors, Hurricanes, Strykers, Civic Center, etc. I leave out Police, DF, WASA, Telco. They are under the government(we tax money) budget.
Okay the same goes for the teams you mentioned as well...but this topic is addressing Maple, a team that obviously has more history and tradition than any of the teams you mentioned in you previous post..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »
Well,
           Most of the teams from the past in TT are now defunct or almost dead. My old team Essex from St. James no longer player official football. They won D2 National league and FA in 76 with Sammy. The heads of these clubs never changed or were unable to secure sponsorship to survive. There is one thing I must mention is that POS population has shrunk dramtically over 3 decades and Jack has fustrate all the "tong" teams, that they just packing and fold.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football also mourns Rolf Bartolo’s passing
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
Football also mourns Rolf Bartolo’s passing
T&T Express

The executive and members of the Northern Football Association are also mourning the passing of Rolf Bartolo, who died on Sunday morning.

In a release on Sunday, the NFA described Bartolo as a “stalwart and dependable member”.

Bartolo was a member of the Maple club for more than 40 of the 102 years of its existence. The release described him as ”an efficient goalkeeper,” but one who “made his name by mentoring and coaching a cadre of young players, including standouts Reynold George and Dexter Skeene to the North Zone title in 1991.”

Maple under Bartolo competed in the National League in 1992. He continued his coaching and management of the club continuously until 2017, when he again took the club to North Zone honours. Maple went on that year to qualify for the National Super League but did not participate.

Bartolo also coached the North Zone team in the annual interzone competitions for several years. He was also a driving force in organising the annual Maple versus Malvern old boys game.

He finally left football to concentrate more fully on his work as a racehorse trainer in 2017 and by 2018 received an award from the Arima Race Club (ARC) as the country’s most improved trainer, a vote taken by his peers.

In the release, the NFA sent condolences to Bartolo’s family.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>