April 24, 2024, 04:16:19 PM

Author Topic: W Connection laud Colombian triallist.  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
W Connection laud Colombian triallist.
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »
Connection laud Colombian triallist.
… Fevrier praises T&T quintet.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Vibe CT 05 W. Connection seem set to introduce a new South American talent to Trinidad and Tobago football as Colombian triallist Oscar Torijano served notice of his ability with the equalizing goal on Friday afternoon as the Pro League team held Brazilian hosts, Portuguesa, 1-1.

Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier cooed about the impact of the 22-year-old Torijano in their first tour match.

“It was an exceptional goal,” said Fevrier, in a telephone interview. “He was under pressure and he screened off his marker (from just inside the box) and put it in the far corner… (Torijano) was in the Colombian national youth team program and he has deceptive speed and is technically good.

“I think we will keep him.”

The Connection squad found time to appreciate the quality of their opponents too and, in particular, 34-year-old former Brazil and Inter Milan full back Ze Maria.

“I felt real good that our players got an opportunity to play against such quality,” said Fevrier.

There was, according to Fevrier, plenty of value in the contribution from the club’s Trinidad and Tobago players as well.

Connection were regularly criticized for fielding a disproportionate number of foreign to local players since its inception in 1999. But, despite leaving midfielder Aurtis Whitley and full back Kern Cupid in Trinidad on national duty, Fevrier reckoned that present national coach Francisco Maturana could easily summon another four players from within the club’s ranks.

Fevrier, a former Trinidad and Tobago national coach, lauded the performances of right back Nickcolson Thomas and midfielders Andrei Pacheco, Clyde Leon and Hughton Hector against Portuguesa and claimed that all four sparked interest from a watching European scout. Pacheco, Leon and Thomas have only a handful of international caps between them while Hector, an attacking right side or central midfielder, is yet to interest the “Soca Warriors” technical staff.

“It is a pity that Maturana was not here to see them,” said Fevrier. “They were brilliant... (Striker) Dwight Scott did well too.”

Connection, who won the 2007 FCB Cup, Courts Pro Bowl and Lucozade Big Six titles, are preparing for the 2008 season, which kicks off on April 5. The “Savonetta Boys” would be without talisman striker Earl Jean, who joined defending league champs CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, and Brazilian playmaker Gefferson Goulart who has taken up a contract in Angola.

The acquisition of Torijano and the maturing of players like Hector, Fevrier hopes, would go some way towards compensating for their departures.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: W Connection laud Colombian triallist.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
If he dat good ah wonder how come he in the PFL?

...I'll guess we'll see.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »
His full name is Oscar Eduardo Velasco Torijano. Was on the Colombian youth team for real. Might be worth something, William Oliveria was a good buy to, glad he came back, brought real excitment to our league. At Chicago Fire they liked him.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »
That is a good result against a Serie A team. The Columbian must be save dey skin, that's why Fevrier so happy with him.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
“It is a pity that Maturana was not here to see them,” said Fevrier. “They were brilliant... (Striker) Dwight Scott did well too.”

Could be remedied with match footage. Guess they not travelling with a video man or in possession of other arrangements. Maturana aside would be useful for the players.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
His full name is Oscar Eduardo Velasco Torijano. Was on the Colombian youth team for real. Might be worth something, William Oliveria was a good buy to, glad he came back, brought real excitment to our league. At Chicago Fire they liked him.

Was selected for Pan American Games 2003 in Santo Domingo as a U-20.

+++
With respect to why he's in Trinidad & Tobago ... Colombia players are all across the continent. Some feature in Bolivia and Ecuador and Venezuela -the less distingushed leagues ... many of these players possess solid technical ability. I see no reason why our local league ought not feature some of them as well.

We are at a juncture at which many of our players are attracting/have attracted attention elsewhere. I shudder to think of Mexicans wondering what one of our players doing there if he so good. Then again, Mexicans have a modicum of respect for their league.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »

Was selected for Pan American Games 2003 in Santo Domingo as a U-20.

+++
With respect to why he's in Trinidad & Tobago ... Colombia players are all across the continent. Some feature in Bolivia and Ecuador and Venezuela -the less distingushed leagues ... many of these players possess solid technical ability. I see no reason why our local league ought not feature some of them as well.

We are at a juncture at which many of our players are attracting/have attracted attention elsewhere. I shudder to think of Mexicans wondering what one of our players doing there if he so good. Then again, Mexicans have a modicum of respect for their league.

Nice try there Sherlock...but the issue isn't about a Colombian player being in the PFL, it's about a supposed nascent player in their national pool.  Colombia is a team and a program that's head and shoulders above anything Trinidad has to offer.  Their better players may reasonably be expected to be found in respectable leagues in Europe and "all across the continent"...with lesser talented players plying their trade elsewhere in lower leagues...like the PFL.

As for your mention of the Mexican league...please don't tell me you're seriously comparing Mexican league football with the PFL...Mexicans, and many others rightfully have "a modicum" of respect for their league. Bless their efforts, but at this point the PFL is still very much a shit league, on par with the A-League here in the US...not where you'd expect to find nascent players from good footballing programs.  Mexicans on the other hand shouldn't be too surprised if players of some caliber are attracted to their league.  It's better organized, better paying and overall at a higher standard of football than anything else in CONCACAF.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:35:02 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »

Oliveria is a beast!

played against him in the FA cup in 2006. the man REAL work and constantly is keep moving. Had we defenders busy!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:23:24 AM »
SEND MORE SOUTH AMERICANS

we ( Jabloteh) will still win again
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »
SEND MORE SOUTH AMERICANS

we ( Jabloteh) will still win again
Check yuh PM

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »
If he dat good ah wonder how come he in the PFL?

...I'll guess we'll see.

Maybe the money he is offfered is that good  ;D

Either way I think it's good for the PFL, hopefully he is that good and would wake up the other PFL players to do better.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »
 Bake n Shark...I guess teams doing all they can to improve their squad and ultimately improve the League...So far Jablo and Connection beat mexican and American opposition eh...so doh knock dem so..Albiet they get licks the other round but say what...The PFL taking some baby steps but I think they moving forward...Is up to the supporters to go out and support .....I doh know but I think with all the interest from clubs from Scotland and England it would be a indicator that we not as bad as we think we are...Still we are way below standard in many aspects but the effort is there to move forward on behalf of the PFL admin...We are seein teams fundraisin, exporting players, inviting teams and touring...I mean fellas what allyuh really expect from a league that is 10-12 years old and from a small country like ours with such a small talent pool in comparision with bigger nations we compete with...All we have to do is focus on improving the youth in our country and we will be good in the future...We made under 17 WC although we get licks in it but it was a good thing...Stop fighting down....Go T&T!!!

1]; } ?>