April 20, 2024, 04:15:49 AM

Author Topic: Romario retires  (Read 1429 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Romario retires
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
Brazil Legend Romario Retires From Football

Brazil legend Romario has announced his retirement from football after 27 years in the game.

The 42-year-old, who has not played for Vasco da Gama since November due to a drugs ban, had revealed last month that he would be finally hanging up his boots at the end of March.

"I am not going to play any more. I have already stopped. I am out of shape,” Romario told O Dia newspaper.

"My last game was a long time ago and it is over for me."

Romario has retired from both playing and coaching and his only footballing involvement will be to help the Brazilian Football Confederation in their preparations for the 2014 World Cup.

"I am not going to return to Vasco. I am not going to work now and they are not paying me but our friendship continues," he added.

"I have talked to the board about my decision. On Sunday I am going to travel to the Caribbean.

"I have made this decision myself. If I had wanted to continue playing I would have returned to Vasco but that is not in my thoughts.

"I want to be with my children and we are travelling a lot. This makes me happy."

Romario has had a glittering career, in which he has also starred for the likes of PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Valencia and Vasco da Gama.

Last year he reportedly became only the second player ever, the other being Pele, to hit 1000 goals in professional football, when he scored a penalty for Vasco against Sport Recife.

He was also a star of the Brazil national team, and was at the peak of his powers in 1994 when he largely carried an ordinary team all the way to the World Cup final in America, where they defeated Italy on penalties.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Romario retires
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »
Thanks 4 d memories
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
Amen
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »
Small mass done wid the game. Well papa yuh had a good sweat. Big big baller who's book should read "The Art of Finishing"
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:04:20 PM »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
About damn time.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »
yuh tink he goin trini.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
Big big baller. Even bigger ego. Thanks for helping put the selecao back on track after 24 years of drought.

btw. Anybody ever notice how Kun Aguero = Romario
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:32:29 PM by Filho »

1]; } ?>