May 03, 2024, 03:32:56 PM

Author Topic: Keane ponders Yorke coaching offer.  (Read 4235 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keane ponders Yorke coaching offer.
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
Keane ponders Yorke coaching offer.
By: Clive Hetherington (Irish Examiner).

Roy Keane has revealed he could offer Dwight Yorke a player-coach role at Sunderland next season. Yorke was one of Keane’s first recruits in August 2006 when he agreed to swap the delights of Sydney’s Bondi Beach for windswept Wearside. Trinidad & Tobago star Yorke, 36, sees his contract expire this summer, but Keane admits he may try to persuade him to stay on — with the sweetener of a backroom position.

“When I first got the job we had to try to make a statement. It was important I got someone in like Yorkie who had been there and done it — and he has done. Nobody else in my dressing room has been there and done it, really. Obviously he’s pushing on a bit, but when he came in last season he did so with a smile on his face.

“It was great for me to get him to come back from Australia where I knew he was very happy. You can just picture Yorkie over there and I thought, ‘Jesus, would he ever come back here?’
“But he did because Yorkie loves his football. Maybe his lifestyle is something that has been thrown at him over the years, but he loves his football.

“He’s doing his coaching qualifications and I think he would be a good coach. Sunderland was a big attraction for him, and that’s why we’re delighted to have him here. He does things his way — he’s laid-back — but Alex Ferguson couldn’t change him, so I don’t think I could!

“But you have to get your head round that and think about what he brings to the party, and Yorkie brings a lot to our dressing room. A lot of decisions have to be made over the next eight or nine weeks, but I wouldn’t rule out Yorkie being here next season, certainly not.

“It’s not just Yorkie, there are a few contracts up, like Ian Harte and Stephen Wright. They just have to bide their time.” Yorke hasn’t started since picking up an injury in the 2-0 home win over Birmingham on January 29, but he could be back for today’s game away to former club Aston Villa after being an influential substitute in the 1-0 defeat by Chelsea at the Stadium of Light a week ago.

“I’ve known him a long time and I have great respect for him, and when I looked in his eyes before he went on against Chelsea, I knew he was going on with a purpose — and he did. It was the same with Rade Prica and (Ian) Hartey when they went on.

“I had to leave three or four out last week because I felt the other 16 were ready more than them, and Yorkie came on and showed what he is all about. He played two great balls and now he’s coming into the reckoning.

“If he plays, hopefully he will get a good reception from the Villa fans. He left there under a cloud, but they got him for next to nothing, so to then get £12.6m for him wasn’t bad.” Keane believes Republic of Ireland international Reid, a £4m signing from Charlton in January, will have a major say in Sunderland’s relegation escape bid. He said: “Since he’s come to the club, anything good that has come through our team has come through Reidy.

“We saw his quality on the training pitch last week and we’re seeing it in games because he’s getting fitter, stronger and sharper. Reidy will have a big part to play. At this level, sometimes it’s down to a set-piece. We lost a game last weekend and all it took was one quality ball in. “Hopefully, the likes of Reidy, Carlos Edwards or Roy O’Donovan, who have come back into the team, can provide that.”
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:46:12 PM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Keane ponders Yorke coaching offer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »

“He’s doing his coaching qualifications and I think he would be a good coach. Sunderland was a big attraction for him, and that’s why we’re delighted to have him here. He does things his way — he’s laid-back — but Alex Ferguson couldn’t change him, so I don’t think I could!

interesting
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »
so edwards = edwardsy & jones = jonesy in irish?

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »

A player-coach role would be a good one for Yorke.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:54:28 AM »

A player-coach role would be a good one for Yorke.

Can't see that happening unless we are relegated, a coaching role I can easily see as Sunderland do have a habit of looking after people

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:37:33 AM »
Didn't someone write a piece on Yorke a few days back lmabasting Yorke to the highest degree? Steups

giggsy11

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:59:39 AM »
 Dwight fights Villa emotion

By COLIN YOUNG - The Daily Mail

Last updated at 23:30pm on 21st March 2008

As Manchester United soaked up the Nou Camp atmosphere on that famous night nine years ago, one player reached inside his jacket pocket, pulled out his mobile and rang the man responsible for introducing him to English football as a raw 16-year-old, putting him on the path to his Champions League winner's medal.

The name Dwight Yorke scrolled to was Graham Taylor, the only boss brave enough to offer the naturally gifted striker a chance at Aston Villa.

'I remember standing on the pitch before the final and I just couldn't stop thinking that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him,' said Yorke. 'So I rang him up and told him so.

'I wanted to thank him for everything he'd done. It's no secret he was the man responsible for me coming over, who invited me and obviously helped me make the grade. I'm very grateful to him for that.'

Villa was his home for nearly a decade and he has happy memories and many friends from that period, not least his first landlady Sheila Dudley, who hopes to be at Villa Park for the 36-year-old's return with Sunderland today.

His £12.6million departure to United was not well received at Villa Park and neither was Yorke's return there, but the reaction could be less hostile today for what could be his last visit.

Yorke said: 'I have fond memories. They're the team I support and I've got loads of friends and family in that neck of the woods and people I've become really close to, so it will be emotional.

'I'll probably get some stick, but hopefully they'll remember some of the good things that I did, too. It was tough at first.

'It was a whole change of culture for me because when you live in the Caribbean you have a certain type of weather, food and people. Everything was different.

'It was difficult, but I had a desire and determination to make it work because it was what I wanted. It was an opportunity I didn't want to let go.

'I've been blessed that I've achieved the majority of things in the game.

'My new-born son will make his appearance for the first time. I have all that to deal with but it's a great feeling to have, to know that this is where my career started and that it might be the last time I'm in this stadium as a player. The emotion might be running a bit high, but I'll be fine.'

Contract talks with Roy Keane are on hold until the end of the season.

Yorke will be a free agent, with a return to Australia among the possibilities. Others are certain to come his way and he and Keane have not ruled out another year at Sunderland.

Keane's former team-mate has been one of his most astute signings, even if his influence is not always appreciated by supporters.

When Keane called Yorke, the funloving Tobagonian dropped everything in Sydney, where he had just led his team to their first title. He departed a hero, but he was still hungry.

'You can just picture Yorkie over there, thinking would he ever come back here?' reflected Keane. 'And he did because he loves his football and knows his football. I knew he was happy there, but it was great for me he came back.

'I have known Yorkie a long time and I have great respect for him. When I first got the job, to make a statement it was important for me I got someone in who's been there and done it.

'Obviously he's pushing on a bit but he still comes in with a smile on his face. I like Yorkie a lot and I think he's a good player and a good lad. He does things his way. He's laid-back.

'Alex Ferguson couldn't change him so I don't think I can. You have to get your head round that and ask what is he bringing to the party.

'And Yorkie brings a lot to our dressing room. I certainly wouldn't rule it out that he could be here next season.'

Keane often uses Yorke to set the standards for the younger players and, now playing in Keane's role, even the slightest error can be seized upon. But Yorke knew what he was taking on.

'When I make a mistake he'll sometimes come to the line and have a pop, but he knows I'm trying my hardest to make things happen. That's part of my role out there. I'm likely to take risks making a pass.

'I played with the guy for four years. I've got some insight into what to expect from him occasionally, although I can't always read him!

'I could have taken the easy option of staying in Sydney, living on a beautiful harbour, with the weather, the water and everything else that goes with it, but no. We live for a challenge and the challenge was to come to the Championship, which I found extremely hard.

'Part of me thought I must be crazy but Keano wanted me. We got the job done in terms of getting into the Premier League.

'Coming back was obviously the right decision. If it's going to end, then I want it to finish on a high and that's keeping this club up.'

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:02:40 AM by giggsy11 »

truetrini

Yorke fancies one more year
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »

by Joseph Caron Dawe, 22 March 2008

Veteran striker Dwight Yorke believes he still has what it takes to compete in the English top flight ‘for another year’.

Yorke was brought to the club by former Manchester United team-mate Roy Keane back in the summer of 2006, and the forward thinks that he can give one more year of service to his colleague turned boss.

If it’s going to end, then I want it to finish on a high and that’s playing in The Premier League and keeping this club up. But I feel I can compete at this level for another year,” said the 36-year-old in the Daily Mirror.

Australia is an option. There’s America too and a possibility that I could stay here. I know I
can compete at this level at least for another season and then I’ve just got to wait and see.”

Yorke is confident he can play his part in helping The Black Cats stay up this season, and he says the outlook for the club is far better than before Christmas when the team plummeted to as low as 19th in the table.

Now we are in a situation which I think is healthy, where we’ve given ourselves a huge chance of staying up,” he added.

Yes, at the beginning of the season maybe we were thinking the middle of the table was a realistic chance and maybe 12th would be beautiful. But now we would take 17th position and staying up.”

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
Thats amazing.
I remember reading Yorke's autobiography and he was playing in a Jr Tourney for TNT. After he scored he had to be dragged back to the half away as he was staring at the flashing scoreboard as it was the first time he ever saw one  :rotfl: Imagine going from that to the nou camp.....

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »
yorke have a nex son???

who is dis yute?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke fancies one more year
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:36:53 AM »
1 more yr agreee
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane ponders Yorke coaching offer.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

Really nice article!

Anyway, I guess that things are working out with that young lady in spite of rumors of infidelity.

'My new-born son will make his appearance for the first time. I have all that to deal with but it's a great feeling to have, to know that this is where my career started and that it might be the last time I'm in this stadium as a player. The emotion might be running a bit high, but I'll be fine.'

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »
Didn't someone write a piece on Yorke a few days back lmabasting Yorke to the highest degree? Steups
Jayerson, it was some fella on a Football site that allows people to write articles.
He used info that was real old to TRY  ::) prove his point

look the thread here, wherein there is a link to the article
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:12:18 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

giggsy11

Re: Keane ponders Yorke coaching offer.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:22 AM »

Really nice article!

Anyway, I guess that things are working out with that young lady in spite of rumors of infidelity.

Ah tink this article just show dat the people who coach and play with Dwight know and appreciate wat he brings and has brung tuh a side. An dat 'other' article was just a bias opinion dat appeared tuh be motivated by bad mindness. More power tuh yuh Dwight!

1]; } ?>