April 26, 2024, 03:45:37 AM

Author Topic: Love to Hate, or Why are Arsenal the most hated club in football?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well Fabregas has said what i have always encountered:

Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas has revealed his frustration after claiming that everybody is happy when the North Londoners are beaten.

The Spanish sensation has set the Premier League alight since his arrival from Barcelona, but admits he is disappointed by the treatment of his club from the footballing public.

The Gunners have gone five league games without a win and have relinquished a five-point lead at the top of the table to trail leaders Manchester United by six points.

The 20-year-old Spanish international has admitted his anguish at the reaction from the public on the back of Arsenal's recent run of defeats.

"I feel every time we lose or we don't play well it's like everybody's happy," Fabregas told the Sun.

"I still don't understand why everybody is against people who try to play nice football.

"We've been playing fantastic football. But it's true people like to see us lose - that's the way I feel."

Despite the deficit to United, the reigning Premier League champions still have to host the Gunners and travel to Stamford Bridge - giving Fabregas and his team-mates belief that the race is not over yet.

"If we want to win the league we cannot lose any more points - we have to think positive," said Fabregas.

"We have to believe we can do it. Whatever happened we fight to the end - that is what we are recognised for.

"We can change things. Man United have to go to Chelsea and we're going to Old Trafford to win.

"We can win there - we did it last season and we've done it a few times in recent years so why not this time.

"We have to go game by game. Every game is a final right until the end of the season."

Even neutrals prefer to see manchester win, sort of like tha bulls back in the days of jordan, except that ManU jordan is fergie.

Arsenal are by no means a shit side, but they are they team everyone loves to hate, sort of the marmite of the footballing world you either love them or hate them.

i do expect chelski and manu fans to go into thier typical "your shite and were great" rants, and that is expected of such collectively low iq's

and i am going to say it, i love arsenal to the core, but wenger is the yin and yang of our success.

brilliant mind, has unearthed tallents consistently, all without breaking the bank, pushed for the stadium now we are challenging the european powerhouses on the porfits tables. all this balance and relative success stil hasn't brought enough silverware over his ten years, it has brought alot of alomost maybe's but not quite.

and here's why...due to his policy he refuses to purchase players on what he considers inflated transfer fees, nor does he break the salary brackets, which does two things brings in palyers of integrity (although diarra was a fool to go as he would have been playing alot more games this half of the season given our injuries to midfield and up front.) BUT it also keeps the high profiel top players away because thier agents want the biggest deal for thier client (they get a percentage)

anyway, why do ppl hate arsenal so much? who have we offened by staying true to playing beautiful football?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Love to Hate, or Why are Arsenal the most hated club in football?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »
I think Real Madrid is the most hated club in Europe...and Man U might be right behind them.

I think the root of an anti- Arsenal sentiment is the arrogance of Arsene Wenger, but in terms of "hate" I think people dedicate more energy to dislike Man U & Madrid more....

End of day, take it as a compliment, because if Arsenal was not good, people wouldn't waste time and energy disliking them.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
I think Real Madrid is the most hated club in Europe...and Man U might be right behind them.
I think the root of an anti- Arsenal sentiment is the arrogance of Arsene Wenger, but in terms of "hate" I think people dedicate more energy to dislike Man U & Madrid more....
End of day, take it as a compliment, because if Arsenal was not good, people wouldn't waste time and energy disliking them.
Gunner, as the ole sayin goes
"nobody kicks a dead dog" ;)
at least they are top 2
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
Stunner...get a grip on yourself.

This Arsenal self-persecution complex has very little foundation. Guess what Manchester United feels that everybody is against them, Chelsea same thing.

Once a club is successful there will be people that envy that success.

By that measure Manchester United and Chelsea are much more hated than Arsenal (because thay have been more successful over the last 3 years and they have more money).

Just check any United thread on here if you doubt that United has more haters than Arsenal.

The funniest thing is that you could consider Wenger the "yin and yang" of Arsenal success shows that you are seriously out of touch.

You seem to either forget, or not know, that before Wenger Arsenal had 2 titles in almost 30 years.

Perhaps Bruce Rioch would have been a better manager. Wenger has dragged that club into one of the best operations in world football and set them up for years to come with a scouting and development network and now facilities and infrastructure that are second to none .

I wonder if you living in some kinda bubble where the great Arsenal has a right to win the league every year, and in the years that they don't it is Wenger's fault.

Guess what?  other clubs have good players, good managers, play good football, get lucky too. It is not all about Arsenal.

At the end of the day, if anything, Arsenal fans get no love for having the hubris to make post things like this:

who have we offened by staying true to playing beautiful football?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
Stunner...get a grip on yourself.

This Arsenal self-persecution complex has very little foundation. Guess what Manchester United feels that everybody is against them, Chelsea same thing.

not really self -persecution just fed up of other fans ragging on myself and my team wether its founded provooked or not

Once a club is successful there will be people that envy that success.

true but i never once begrudged manu winning anything, chelsea i don't only because its the money that has brought them success so quickly

By that measure Manchester United and Chelsea are much more hated than Arsenal (because thay have been more successful over the last 3 years and they have more money).

see point above chelsea yes because it flies in the face of the "spirit" of football, however i am not naieve enough to think that football isn't about money these days

Just check any United thread on here if you doubt that United has more haters than Arsenal.

i don't read up on other clubs unless they directly affect my club

The funniest thing is that you could consider Wenger the "yin and yang" of Arsenal success shows that you are seriously out of touch.

i find that extremely insulting, espeically given my love and constant interest of the club, if you understand yin & yang, it acknowledges all his positive influences achievements etc. not for once do i forget nor reprimand him for the success he has brought during his time, i do point out that because of this succes we have coem to realise under his guidance his, yang appears to be not willing to pu tthe resources to build a side ergo ManU style where players are eager to stay and fight for a chance, eager to ride bench and reserves for a shot at the theater of dreams, hopefully he stay for another ten years and we get that same desire for a shot at the "grove" but here's to trying to make sure man u don't keep swelling thier trophy cabinet.

You seem to either forget, or not know, that before Wenger Arsenal had 2 titles in almost 30 years.

Perhaps Bruce Rioch would have been a better manager. Wenger has dragged that club into one of the best operations in world football and set them up for years to come with a scouting and development network and now facilities and infrastructure that are second to none .

see above point

I wonder if you living in some kinda bubble where the great Arsenal has a right to win the league every year, and in the years that they don't it is Wenger's fault.

no but ten years of "unlucky with injuries, squad depth not deep enough, youth can only get you so far etc" is heartbreaking espeically when these are recurring themes, yet no action besides "growing talent an scouting have been set up, to great success for the finds such as fabregas, hleb, eduardo, clichy toure, (current squad too many past to name)

Guess what?  other clubs have good players, good managers, play good football, get lucky too. It is not all about Arsenal.

At the end of the day, if anything, Arsenal fans get no love for having the hubris to make post things like this:

hubris? is that greek for balls?

who have we offened by staying true to playing beautiful football?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »
I think Arsenal is disliked IN ENGLAND primarily because their entire starting line up are foreigners.

Most neutral, non British observers are fans of the Arsenal way of playing.

Chelsea is hated because people feel they have bought their way to success.

Man U is hated because dey is Man U

Fabergas need to stop whining and focus his energies on more important matters.  If this helps to motivate him to porove everybody wrong, then more power.

Otherwise..STFU, get over it and play de game.  It comes with the territory.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
I think Arsenal is disliked IN ENGLAND primarily because their entire starting line up are foreigners.

Fabergas need to stop whining and focus his energies on more important matters.  If this helps to motivate him to porove everybody wrong, then more power.

gues sit did today, his shot ping ponged its way in for the extra time winner

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »
Fabregas need to get ah grip and stop talking ah pile......me ent hate Arse anal....

BUT

yuh better get ready for ah good Champions League cutass from Liverpool..... :devil:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »
Arsenal is not de most hated club in football.......
As an english coach told me there are three teams with curse words in their names. Sc**thorpe, Arsenal and fck..in Man United.....

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
Arsenal is not de most hated club in football.......
As an english coach told me there are three teams with curse words in their names. Sc**thorpe, Arsenal and fck..in Man United.....
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:26:10 PM »

Probably because of their huge 'Black' support too LOL

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
man untd is the most hated club in football
bajanscout

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
not really self -persecution just fed up of other fans ragging on myself and my team wether its founded provooked or not

If yuh willing to back a side and enjoy the good times to also have to be prepared to have opposing fans give you stick. It is not unique to backing Arsenal. It is part of backing a side.

true but i never once begrudged manu winning anything, chelsea i don't only because its the money that has brought them success so quickly

Never said that you did, merely giivng an example that Arsenal are not the only "hated" club.

i don't read up on other clubs unless they directly affect my club

Well okay...but if you don't pay attention to other clubs and how people view them you really have no basis to say that Arsenal are the "most hated" club. What is your frame of reference?

i find that extremely insulting, espeically given my love and constant interest of the club, if you understand yin & yang, it acknowledges all his positive influences achievements etc. not for once do i forget nor reprimand him for the success he has brought during his time, i do point out that because of this succes we have coem to realise under his guidance his, yang appears to be not willing to pu tthe resources to build a side ergo ManU style where players are eager to stay and fight for a chance, eager to ride bench and reserves for a shot at the theater of dreams, hopefully he stay for another ten years and we get that same desire for a shot at the "grove" but here's to trying to make sure man u don't keep swelling thier trophy cabinet.

What you not getting is that when you have the best manager in your club's history you do not lose sight of the success he has brought just because your team is not leading the table, especially since Arsenal could well be Champions when the season done. But even if they don't no manager wins titles every year.

I read a lot of your posts and it seems that every good player is a player that Wenger refuse to spend money for when nothing could be further from the truth. Arsenal is just another club who buys some players and passes on others.

Wenger pursues the players he wants and he spends money when he has to. It is not as if he is rolling in money and decides to pass on players like Torres and Ronaldo.

Arsenal is ultimately a smaller club than United or Liverpool who Wenger has brought into the discussion of the best club in the country just as Ferguson did a lot to bring United back into that discussion in the nineties.

no but ten years of "unlucky with injuries, squad depth not deep enough, youth can only get you so far etc" is heartbreaking espeically when these are recurring themes, yet no action besides "growing talent an scouting have been set up, to great success for the finds such as fabregas, hleb, eduardo, clichy toure, (current squad too many past to name)

If Wenger has found so many great players and Arsenal has a B-team that could compete in the domestic Cups then it seems to me that he has done a good job. Maybe not getting the players that you want but they are good players and big money buys are not guaranteed to be successful (Reyes).

You see ten years of squad depth not enough (which is just not true) and I see ten years of success, ten years of the best players to ever play for Arsenal, a 60,000 seat stadium that is full every week and unprecedented financial success which will set the club up for the next 50 years. All part of Wenger's vision.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:13:18 PM by palos »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
Arsenal are no where near the most hated team by the neutrals in the country, most neutrals like Arsenals playing style.

Manu, Chelsea, liverpool and Arsenal are disliked for other reasons, mostly of their own making by the current/previous managers, and its all the one thing in common, bad losers, whinging.

Wenger is a terrific manager if you look at his style of play, amount spent and teams he has build his record is great.  However you do wonder how a man with such vision seemingly can't see whats in front of him on the pitch on numerous instances that happen.  Calling for players/ referees heads when it goes against him, only to sheepishly say he didn't see it when it goes for him and gets away with it.

Its exactly the same for Manu, a prime example of this behaviour a few years ago AF said the Worthington Cup was a Micky Mouse Trophy, suddenlty when it was the only thing manu won it was great again.

Liverpool were probably everybodies favourite but Houllier and benitez have dragged them into teh above camp, whinging players and supporters don't help.  Finsishing 5th and crying to be let in the champions league and being given it, probably was the nail in their coffin as far as the neutrals go.

Chelski are a micture of the above Mourhino, wenger, Ferguson and benitez all trying to outdo eachother, Mourhino with all his mates jumping off the bench as a decision went against them.

Most people like an underdog to win, but the above 4 are seen as getting away with murder changing the rules and treating the public like idiots, thats why most neutrals dislike them, no other reason.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
like Arsenal looking for sympathy or what?..steups

Arsenal was my team in the 80's and 90's but after a couple years of Wenger I didn't like him bringing in all them Frenchmen..even though they were better than the British players and started to play more attractive football.
I ok with all de Spanish at Liverpool..cause yuh doesn't hear them moaning bout every shit  :D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »
Arsenal the most hated club in football? Allyuh insist allyuh HAVE TO win some prize or something dis season eh?
Search on this board self for the most hated clubs thread.....Man U name calling right through. Search any other football site...you would hardly see arsenal name featuring in that sense. Csec starting to get like wenger.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 11:23:45 PM »
So how does Chelsea investing in success go against "the spirit of football"?

Is this 'spirit of football' having Arsenal and Man Utd alone battling for silverware season after season, winning all but 3 or 4 games over the entire course of a 36 games schedule?

Allyuh just cyah handle de new kid on de block..

giggsy11

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 07:50:34 AM »
Ah tink Fabregas lookin for ah hug. He forgettin dat it have other teams worth supportin but also it maybe feelin unloved because this is the first time he and this current side have been involved in leadin the pack and as a result dey became the hunted. Everybody likes tuh see the successful fail especially if yuh doh support dat team and if dey are one of yuh rivals. Plus people like, Fabregas, Wenger, Gallas have at times made it difficult tuh root for Arsenal even if yuh appreciated dey quality of football. Arsenal have serious money tuh spend, dey does buy low and sell high, dey takin in serious revenue from dey new stadia. Wenger is a flickin cheapskate, egotistical, doh like superstars and therefore will not splash money on establish players who may rock dey boat and ones he cah control. Plus he always like dem young so he could shape dem. Arsenal is not the most hated, dey are not even the most disliked; dey should only be so lucky! Dey manager on the other hand maybe one of the most disliked.
Gunnerstunner give Fab ah hug.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 09:25:13 AM »

I agree with you there Palos. One of the only problems I have with Arsenal is that their entire starting lineup is made up mainly of foreigners. It is after all an English club.

On that point, shouldn't there be a limit on the amount foreigners that clubs are allowed to have in their teams or at least in their starting lineups? I think back in the early nineties, clubs in Italy were limited to three starting lineup assignments for all domestic games.

Does anyone have any further info on this?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
Fabregas fighting for attention. In England alone, Arsenal are behind Manu, Chelsea and Liverpool for being hated. The two red clubs based on envy and the blue one because they BUY success and they boring no ass. Arsenal probably even less hated now than when they were defensive champions under George Graham and their main chant was "'1-0 to the Arsenal"". Real neutrals like them, especially if you ave to pick out of the big 4.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »
The only teams I hate more than ArseAnal is ManUre and Liverpool. Man because like Ferguson wok ah obeah on that team. Too many last gasp victories, too many calls going their way and way too many lucky bounces on the ball. But Liverpool seeking to be 1st on my shitlist with their whining. They just complain too damn much. 

Més que un club.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
maybe i should change the title to are arsenal the most hated

thing is in my prejudiced view i don't hate manu its mainly their fans i have a problem with, liverpool no worries

so i guess its to be expected, you know comes with the territory, the more successful we become, the more of a threat we show, if thats the case bring on the hate!

1]; } ?>