April 28, 2024, 12:29:22 AM

Author Topic: Oliver named Pro League MVP.  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Oliver named Pro League MVP.
« on: April 05, 2008, 05:33:29 AM »
Oliver named Pro League MVP.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

Marvin Oliver pumped his right fist in the air three times on being declared the 2007 Most Valuable Player of the 2007 T&T Pro League season.

On Thursday evening at the Crowne Plaza in Port of Spain, the dreadlocked former Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA midfielder was presented with a new white Toyota Yaris as his prize as the Pro League held its gala end-of-season function.

The event also served to launch the 2008 campaign, which kicks off today. Oliver said he was speechless at being selected the MVP. But was he surprised?

"To be honest, maybe yes, maybe no...because of the administrative problems I have sometimes in the country with being left out of the national team," he replied. "It really makes me feel good to see that at least still I am being recognised for my accomplishments individually.

"This is great for all the ghettos and all the communities in Trinidad and Tobago, seeing that a guy like themselves, who came from nothing, could accomplish this. I'm sending a message to all the youngsters in the country. Stick hard with it and sports does pay."

Having signed a one-year-contract with 2007 Pro League champions CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, Oliver said Trinidad and Tobago can expect to see more from him in Jabloteh colours this season. He also hopes to get another chance with the senior national team.

"I've been trying to get on the national team for the last 15 years, I don't know what more I might have to do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out," he said, also highlighting his club ambitions for 2008.

"I'm home now...I'm playing with my local team from San Juan. I thought W Connection received the majority of the trophies tonight and I think I would like to put a dent into it and have some coming to San Juan."

Couva-based Vibe CT 105 W Connection took most of the prizes at youth and senior level at Thursday's function, also being named Team-of-the-Year.

Connection finished third to champs Jabloteh and runners-up Joe Public in the league, but won three other major Pro League trophies--the Courts Pro Bowl, the First Citizens Cup and the Lucozade Big 6.

And their coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier was named Coach-of-the-Year, while manager Raymond McLean was Manager-of-the-Year.

Known for their neat appearance, W Connection were also adjudged Most Disciplined team, along with collecting three youth awards.

Jabloteh's Cleon John, a transfer from the Defence Force, played the most minutes of any keeper in the league and was also adjudged Goalkeeper-of-the-Year. Teammate, Antiguan Peter Byers, playing his first season with champions Jabloteh last year, was the league's top-scorer with 15 goals and was also adjudged best forward.

Byers said his first season in T&T was good and he promised to raise his goal count to more than 20 this season.

"For the first Antiguan coming to Trinidad and winning 'most goals', I am very proud, because I am a foreigner," said Byers. "I know there will be stiff competition this season after coming out on top of the Pro League but...I know this season will be much better and they will get more goals from me. I will be in my 20s-high this season because I have been working hard and there will be better to come from me."

T&T Pro League chairman Larry Romany said the Pro League had made many achievements and urged clubs to continue to raise standards. He observed that clubs such as Caledonia AIA, St Ann's Rangers and, more recently, North East Stars had brought in professional management, to great effect.

The one disappointment, said Romany, is the absence of the Police teams from the competition this season following a directive from Commissioner Trevor Paul forbidding policemen from competing in light of the crime situation.

"We, however, have reserved a place for the Police whenever they come back into the League," he said.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver named Pro League MVP.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:13:01 AM »
I eh tink anybody would be surprised at Marvin's selection, but ah wonder why dey present dese awards so late. Is about 5 months since de 2007 season ended.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 08:29:31 AM »
they kinda wanted it as a launch for the next season as well talman

i wonder who win the tv from proleage online voting cuz i real vote in that too

oh and any word on the tv coverage at all??
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »
they kinda wanted it as a launch for the next season as well talman

i wonder who win the tv from proleage online voting cuz i real vote in that too

oh and any word on the tv coverage at all??

Dat tv in Oliver house also. I sayin what i have seen. ;D
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »
I organising for the inteview with Marvin Oliver next week, so allyuh put in allyuh questions please.
Tallman, point we to the link for the interview questions again.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:02:17 AM »
I organising for the inteview with Marvin Oliver next week, so allyuh put in allyuh questions please.

Ok here my questions. ;D

-how old are you?
-Which community you come from?
-Did you have the privalidge of going into a coaching school as a youngster?
-How did you made your way despite many distrations to make it into pro-football?
-You are already an example to the youths in the ghettos, what actions are you taking in making sure talents like you don't go unnoticed and encourage them to follow their dreams?
-Many times there is all talk about helping the youths but no actions after, what actions are you taking personally, and if so do you have email or number others can reach you to contribute to your cause.
-When the retirement days come, what types of investments, businesses or endevours are you looking at when you playing days are over

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
congrats....you are now Jabloteh eh ( again)...all the best
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:07:12 PM »

Ok here my questions. ;D

-how old are you?
-Which community you come from?
-Did you have the privalidge of going into a coaching school as a youngster?
-How did you made your way despite many distrations to make it into pro-football?
-You are already an example to the youths in the ghettos, what actions are you taking in making sure talents like you don't go unnoticed and encourage them to follow their dreams?
-Many times there is all talk about helping the youths but no actions after, what actions are you taking personally, and if so do you have email or number others can reach you to contribute to your cause.
-When the retirement days come, what types of investments, businesses or endevours are you looking at when you playing days are over

Yuh gawn posting questions in de people thread again...watch Weary come cuss yuh juss now, lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »
It woulda b news if he did not win. I wonder bout that tv 2 yes
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
I have ah question for Marvin. Ask him if he think Shawn Donald from San Juan Compre could still damper he game and if so line ah small word with Anton and them fuh meh to come back and hold down tha defense? :) I'm happy for tha youth...he used to be on San Juan compre grounds half time during intercol games playing in thee gold post shooting around etc, he always had talent. I always wondered what happened to him after he left the US playing with we in tournament etc up here. Keep on reaching for the stars dread.     
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:01:50 PM by Wehitis »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

1]; } ?>