April 26, 2024, 04:36:28 PM

Author Topic: Leston Paul hopes for return to Stadium of Light.  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leston Paul hopes for return to Stadium of Light.
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:17:57 AM »
Paul hopes for return to Stadium of Light.
By: Paul Fraser (Northern Echo).
[/size]

After impressing during five days' training with Sunderland, hot Caribbean prospect Leston Paul has revealed how landing a contract under Roy Keane at the Stadium of Light would fulfil a lifetime's ambition.

The gifted central midfielder is regarded in his Trinidad & Tobago homeland as one of the brightest talents in the country, where he captains the Under-17s.

And he is known to have been one of the eight players to have caught the eye of the Black Cats' coaching team, with Keane hinting that a couple of them could be invited back.

The group headed back across the Atlantic yesterday morning, having spent a week on Wearside trying to prove they were worthy of a contract at Sunderland.

And, although nothing has been decided yet, Paul would love to be given the chance to join the Premier League outfit where compatriots Kenwyne Jones, Carlos Edwards and Dwight Yorke all ply their trade.

"The staff have said little to us but there is a possibility that one or two of us will be back," said Paul. "The Premier League is more physical and I know I have to work hard on my size, but I should be able to compete in the Premier League because right now I'm mentally ready for it. A bit more training, experience and we will all be ready to compete.

"Hopefully something will happen because my dream is to play in England. Being brought up in the Caribbean my dream is to play for a world-class club.

"Right now my dream is to play for Sunderland. I want another chance to come back and impress the coaches and come back here and sign a contract here."

Paul is widely regarded in the Caribbean as a player with the potential to become a star on the European stage.

But when John Barnes selected the eight players to take the trip to Sunderland as part of the Digicel Kick Start Football Clinics, he was always confident that they could mix it technically with the best Sunderland's Academy had to offer.

Along with Paul (T&T), Barnes sent Joseph Guemsley (Haiti), Gerard Williams (St. Kitts), Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Akeem Brown (Jamaica), Andrew Murray (Guyana), Devaughn Elliott (St. Kitts) and Emilio Limon (Suriname) to the North-East.

And Limon, from Suriname, has outlined a desire to follow in the footsteps of former Middlesbrough striker Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink to one of the region's top-flight clubs.

Hasselbaink, born in the Caribbean before moving to Holland, is one of Suriname's most high-profile sporting exports along with AC Milan's Clarence Seedorf.

"My biggest dream is to come over to Europe and play and now that I have met Roy Keane one of my biggest dreams has come true," said the 19-year-old. "Hopefully another dream will come true to become a pro player here.

"Hasselbaink and Seedorf are my heroes. Clarence is my main idol because when you look back at the things he has met in his life, when he was left out of the Holland squad at times, he's someone I respect. Any disappointments I have I try to think what Clarence might have done.

I have not had disappointment so, far, I have had a happy life."

When Keane met the teenagers from the Caribbean last week, he reflected on his playing days with Manchester United.

"He gave us advice and when I go home I will take this advice back to Suriname, and tell my friends. I will tell them that I spoke with Roy Keane," said Limon, who plays for the oldest club in his country, Robin Hood.

"I haven't heard if any of us are going back to Sunderland. It was, though, a great honour for us to be with them for a week.

"It would be incredible for one or two of us to get the opportunity to come back to Sunderland and if it is me, or someone else, I will wish them good luck."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:31:59 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Re: Leston Paul hopes for return to Stadium of Light.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:51:31 AM »
I hope the lads had a good time (apart from the weather)

They were mentioned in RK's press conference and he said 1 or 2 maybe going back, but I understand a documentary crewe were with him to be shown shortly.  I hope it ends up on youtube or something so I get a chance to see it.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:12:12 AM »
thanks Flex and Kev....keep going Leston
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:20:34 AM »
I hope that all of these players have an opportunity to return to Europe in some capacity, Sunderland or not. It would be a frustrating experience to peep inside the palace but never have an opportunity to roam the corridors freely.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »
Good Luck to the youths...Hopefully they will all make it out dey...I hope dem fellas come back and work harder to reach a good level... ;D

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
now y we couldnt send across just 1 reported with a lil video camera...nothing fancy
steups

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
now y we couldnt send across just 1 reported with a lil video camera...nothing fancy
steups
You know why ,cause accredited journalist don t give ah damn.And where to morally creditable to accept Shawn Fuentes bias propaganda .But don t let your heart hurt ,its better to live by the grace of god ,than by the wine of the devil .
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:41:19 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
now bear with me here ppls...
i never follow it up...
but whas d deal with Fuentes?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:54:07 PM by AZZURRI »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
Some ppl think he is the spawn of satan .A demon vampire masquerading as a real journalist  :rotfl:
I think he more Severus
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:14:12 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 03:07:02 AM »
Severus was an emperor, ah tink yuh mean Cerberus the 3 headed dog guarding the gates of Hades.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »
no I mean Snape

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:58:32 AM »
I eh think too many people here understand your Harry Potter analogy eh horse...just a heads up!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline JW

• Mackem Abroad
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Eat My Goal
    • View Profile
    • Black Cats of North America
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
"Hopefully something will happen because my dream is to play in England. Being brought up in the Caribbean my dream is to play for a world-class club.

"Right now my dream is to play for Sunderland...."

World-Class and Sunderland... two words I only dreamed of seeing in close proximity. ;) :beermug:
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »
I eh think too many people here understand your Harry Potter analogy eh horse...just a heads up!
that was the point ,no since upsetting  the order .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:31:56 PM by Quagmire »

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
that was the point ,no since upsetting the order .

this board is the greatest :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

a man tryin to out a nex man inner potterdom......classic
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »
He was on cnc last nite say it make him more motivated 2 b a Pro had dinner wit Carlos and kenwyne. He will never 4 get seein Man U v Sunderland d atmosphere etc
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>