May 11, 2024, 05:31:00 PM

Author Topic: T&T U-17 women exposed in Costa Rica.  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T U-17 women exposed in Costa Rica.
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:31:34 AM »
T&T U-17 women exposed in Costa Rica.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Charles: Plenty work to do

Marlon Charles always maintained that the work had just begun when his junior "Soca Princeses" swept through their Caribbean Group B Under-17 qualifying series a month ago.

Now, after participating in an eight-team international tournament in Costa Rica last week, the national women's coach knows that lots of work have to be done before Trinidad and Tobago host the CONCACAF final round qualifying series for the 2008 FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup tournament in three months' time.

"First of all, we didn't win any matches (in Costa Rica)," Charles declared. "From the moment the first ball was kicked...in the very first match against one of the American teams, some of our girls were struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. Some of the good, young players we had simply did not have the physical strength to play at that level. With these small, skilful players, we saw that as soon as bigger girls put a body on them, that was it. They could do nothing."

The junior Soca Princesses left Trinidad as an unbeaten bunch after cruising through their Caribbean Group B qualifiers, where they beat Grenada (4-0), St Kitts-Nevis (6-0) and Suriname (7-0). But playing against tougher teams from South, Central and North America, the T&T girls struggled.

Chile, hosts of South America's Under-20 qualifiers, had their Under-20 squad at the tournament, as did Honduras and Costa Rica. The Americans sent four teams.

Trinidad and Tobago had the youngest team in the tournament, including players such as 12-year-old Form One student Jonelle Warwick.

Chile handed T&T their biggest defeat, winning 9-1, while all four American teams won by at least six-goal margins.

The best Trinidad and Tobago result was a 5-2 defeat to the Costa Rica U-20s, while the game against Honduras was washed out by bad weather.

Charles was frank, stating that the problem was not just playing against older teams. He said his girls simply struggled to deal with the pace and the intensity of football at a higher level.

Trinidad and Tobago also suffered a goalkeeping crisis and halfway through the tournament put a tall defender in goal.

Charles said it was important that the goalkeeping improve before T&T host the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup qualifiers in July.

"Everything that went to goal scored," Charles said. "Eventually, we took the chance to put Daystar Swift in the goal. Although she is a defender, she is over six feet tall, so we hoped to at least cut out the crosses. Since then, she said that is where she wanted to play in the first place.

"So, we spoke to (Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation technical director and former national goalkeeper) Lincoln Phillips and we are trying to arrange for him to work with her. We are also looking at a girl in North Carolina, who has been recommended to us...and to also improve the current keepers."

Despite the heavy defeats, the national coach felt the experience was beneficial to his charges.

The team resume training today, hoping to step up on what they had done previously. Charles also hopes to have another stiff test before the CONCACAF qualifying kicks off.

"As a coach, I am seeing that we need to be in this tougher enviroment," said Charles. "I think going to Costa Rica was an opportunity for these girls to grow...and I think they did grow. They are tougher players now, because as the tournament went on, we began to get better.

"We need to play regularly at this next level...not just in tournaments, but at all levels. The experience was good for the young girls, because they saw the level they have to reach. Playing against teams like Grenada and St Kitts will do nothing for us."

Regular play needed: T&T Under-17 coach Marlon Charles...the work has only just begun.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: T&T U-17 women exposed in Costa Rica.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:34:06 AM »
Same ting here for de senior squad. Dey need some good whopping from other international teams to set dem straight. Beating des lil island teams by 1-2 goals making dey head swell.

Play big team bneat dem den beat small team by 10+ goals. JA first ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
I saw the first half of the game against Belaforma Angels yesterday, and I have to agree with the coach. as a matter of fact, they may be as much as two years away from being ready for the U-17 competition. My hope is that the core of this team is U-15, but hardly likely :( :( :(
Live large and prosper!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Marlon Charles shouldn't have publicly singled out the goalie like that. I would think that is harsh on a teenager. He and his staff are the ones who selected her. If she was inadequate, that is partly their fault. In any case, at that tender age, in a sport that is severely underveloped, it serves no purpose to publicly out the youth so. De man say everything that was on target went in...I eh go lie, it would be funny if it wasn't so wrong  :devil: Hope sho doh read that..she must be feeling terrible enough already.

Anyway. That is just the first step in what is hopefully a long journey for the program. The girls should feel some pride in being able to score against older teams. They have a better idea of what level they have to reach and there is lots of work to do. dat is all. Hopefully Mr Charles protects his future players' esteem a little better in the future.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »
when i see exposed ah scared yes
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

1]; } ?>