April 19, 2019, 10:32:33 AM

Author Topic: Naipaul again  (Read 12857 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Naipaul again
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »
Guys,

all yuh sentiments bordering on vitriolic. The man was abused as a kid which has left an indeliable stain on his psyche. But his "naybull string" bury in TT. We have to take the "good" and the "bad". He is OURS, even though he don't big up TT.

truetrini

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »
he nabel string buried in T&T?  Nah!

I feel dem clamp and cut Mr. Naipaul damn toti orf...and leave he nabel sting attached dat is why he so f**ked up and vex with sweet Trinidad.

I could see how getting bulled can screw up ah man psyche eh...but what does Trinidad as a nation have tuh do with dat?  Why doesn't he hate his family and his people for failing to protect him?

Steups.

And my theory has more credence as since he eh have no toti he come out ah BIG sucker!

f**k he!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
Guys,

all yuh sentiments bordering on vitriolic. The man was abused as a kid which has left an indeliable stain on his psyche. But his "naybull string" bury in TT. We have to take the "good" and the "bad". He is OURS, even though he don't big up TT.

Deeks you reallll going tuh bat fuh dis man dred...but I hear yuh.  You could claim him, lol

truetrini

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
Guys,

Deeks you reallll going tuh bat fuh dis man dred...but I hear yuh.  You could claim him, lol

ent.

Yuh is ah true christian fella...unless yuh is he family and yuh was dey when he was young and yuh.....nahhhhhh  cyar be.  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
Guys,

ent.

Yuh is ah true christian fella...unless yuh is he family and yuh was dey when he was young and yuh.....nahhhhhh  cyar be.  :devil:

Nah...I staying away from dat one, lol

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
some ah allyuh ah shame to call even friggin trini...

When i read some of allyuh post....it filled with ingrained hatred...because Naipaul is a blasted coolie right?

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating  culural pressures with that of merit.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »

When i read some of allyuh post....it filled with ingrained hatred...because Naipaul is a blasted coolie right?

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating  culural pressures with that of merit.

I cyah speak for dem fellahs...but I eh think so

I doh see nobody callin for ah boycott of he books or nuttn....his writings are still held in wide esteem
But the fact his for decades he consistently 'waste down' not only where he comes from but the people he left behind in a most condescending manner...especially as his fame and fortune was launched by writing about the very same island he has held in contempt for years.

Regardless of yuh race..dat does pretty much qualify anyone as ah walking penis

Personally I think he mad for years
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:00:04 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »

whappen to you fella, yuh reverting tuh yuh crazy ways or what?

Like yuh never hear de things Naipaul say about trinis and trinidad or what?

Some of his most stinging criticisms have come from Indians.

I hate he nasty ass....take dat in yuh pweffen and chill tuh f**k out.

He could be ah f**king balck man, ah indian ah chinee and ah whiteman...he is still ah f**king asshole.

yuh come with shit ass talk about you shame tuh call some ah we trini?

He is de one who disoen trinidad and say he is ah englishman first and den ah indian second...if anyone racist is he

f**k he and you and de horse dat bull him

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2008, 08:20:01 PM »
f**k he and you and de horse dat bull him...i was surprised yuh didnt say d horse dat bull me too.... ;D

There is way too much ingrained hatred and i stand by that...regardless of whether he iz ah imps or not..d man put we on d map....

It have some trinis who feel dem more american than trini too....and feel like tnt aint nuttin to dem until dey realise america aint give ah shit about them too...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:21:56 PM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
When exactly he start getting heat from Trinis?  I think he said something when he won the nobel...didn't read all his books so i not sure if is based on that.
When he was here last year he say is a big misunderstanding...lol
don't really care....just another one of many who leave and don't have good things to say bout home...usually based on bad experiences (even though he claim he is misunderstood...or was it his wife say that?)
for some reason jus cool come to mind...at least when he had now come and was explaining his signature
So how i get in this argument partner. i dun wid the racist talk on this board,BC doh matter what i say in regard to race, it will allways be missunderstood just like my sig. 

PS:for the record, i'm a trinidadian and i love my country, i just real openly critical of the hypocrisy that plague my home town, and the wickedness that most of our less fortunate citizens have to endure under the govt, and the capitalist who happen to be mainly old money white racist facked-up trini's who does segregate their self from the rest of the population in ah real apartheid stylie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:52:28 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »

While I agree with your views on some of the posts on the board, I would not call anybody a coolie especially since I would not like to be call one. As for my personal opinion of VS I think he full of himself and that is why I don't care much for the individual. I do appreciate his wrk, however his apparent disdain for his home land the setting for for his more successfull wrks makes me dislike the indvidual even more.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2008, 01:31:27 AM »

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating culural pressures with that of merit.

WDMCIDIHHS?  Call out people if you feel so strongly, but don't cover everybody with them blanket accusations. How you know who here is Indian and who is not? Naipaul considers himself an English aryan. And he denigrates African people and Indian people of so-called lower caste. He more likely to denigrate people as "coolie" than many of us here on this board. He is an jackass with a single talent for writing words on paper.

How much Englishman you think does laugh behind Naipaul back?

And as for "put we on the map", he hold we up as fools and nothing else.

Some people here does consistently make some real ignorant racist statements, that they would not like turned back on themselves and their people. And many times it does go unchallenged. But don't paint everybody with the same brush.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:35:01 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

truetrini

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »
Put we on de map?  How so?  By bad talking me...we the mimic men?

I said I enjoyed reading his works, regret I  did though, I vex I contribute one cent to dat lout.

f**k he and he defenders.

I eh care if he get bull, it is obvious he eh get bull enough.....dey should bull him senseless.

Fuch dat Englishman and Indian..f**k he!

I cyar stand he guts.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »

hmm .. I think I have to conclude that TT doh like de man .. :devil:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »
f**k he and you and de horse dat bull him...i was surprised yuh didnt say d horse dat bull me too.... ;D

There is way too much ingrained hatred and i stand by that...regardless of whether he iz ah imps or not..d man put we on d map....

It have some trinis who feel dem more american than trini too....and feel like tnt aint nuttin to dem until dey realise america aint give ah shit about them too...

Well yeah! Lehwe pelt more pitch oil on de fire. I fuh dat. Ah glad race reach in dis, but not for the reason advanced by rotato.

Why? Because race has been a significant component on which Naipaul's legacy has been built. Doh geh tie up tall atall atall ... I would love to delve deeper into Naipaul's frame of race. Frankly, HE has left me VERY curious over time about the lens through which HE views race relations. Hence it's appropriate to deal with this race supposition rotato pushed.

When I read Naipaul I get a sense of racial dynamics in the country 50 years ago. I get hints of why our politics is where we are today. I read confirmation of social marginalization. I also get that Naipaul let experiences before his 18th birthday completely dominate his relationship to OUR country. Ah say that having read several of his works. Some more than once.

+++

rotato that accusation yuh brandish dey is a double-edged sword ... buh lehwe sharpen it lil bit bredda ...

French writes of Naipaul: "The only Blacks he associated with now were Conrad and Barbara" ...

Wheeler writes: "His dismissal of his homeland became part of his persona."

Naipaul on himself: "An autobiography can distort; facts can be realigned," ... "But fiction never lies: it reveals the writer totally."

Akash Kapur writes: "Few writers have offended their readers as regularly as V.S. Naipaul has. From his first travel book, which disparaged the West Indies as a "dot on the map" where "nothing was created," to his most recent, in which he dismissed Pakistan as a "criminal enterprise," the Trinidad-born author of Indian ancestry has shown a staggering capacity for insensitivity and prejudice. Africa is filled with "bow-and-arrow people." India is "an area of darkness." "V.S. Nightfall," Derek Walcott has called him; like a man who turns his back to the sun, Naipaul sees the world through his own shadow."

+++

Further, iz long time now I know VS to be disparaged by all de creeds and races that are trying to find equal places on dem twin islands in de blue Caribbean Sea we call Trinidad & Tobago. Long time!

Today Naipaul is a cynical, eccentric and idiosyncratic old man. Yesteryear he was a cynical, eccentric and idiosyncratic young man.

It's clear that he was affected by his years at Oxford. But I have a fair sense that the man relishes being somewhat of a misogynist ... he may be a firm bastard, but ah go continue to read him. Ah eh read him in 5-6 years (around de time he pulled that stunt with de ppl's questions) but whenever I return to him I find some insights  ... Jes like how when ah figure ah suss EVERY Marley line to emotive perfection, somedays a line from Bob will strike me differently ...

One bone I have to pick with VS is that he's studiously left a void with respect to attaining a Trinidad-centered definition of him. By not answering questions, by being dismissive, by defaulting on the opportunity to place himself in context to a place that wants to claim him, if only as prodigal son ... Yuh would figure that he would employ a path of redemption and conciliation as he heads into his 80s ... but apparently not. He will die an ornery and contrary bastard.

So rotato, guess what? The consequence of this is the firm leverage of vitriol (and even hate) from yet another generation of Trinbagonians.

Naipaul is a missed opportunity. A missed opportunity to broker within our society. A missed opportunity to explain to curious 16, 17 and 18 year olds the difficulties of extricating yuhself from de society one is born into ... to alien worlds in pursuit of ambitions ... as many times as Naipaul bounce he head, he's more than equipped to share.

In the end VS fulfills one of the stereotypes associated with the roots we know him to have had. The greatest taint left by Naipaul is his being the comprehensive definition of an emigre with purposeful amnesia.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:30:26 PM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
afterall dat analysis, he remains ah c**t...f**k he

he is de racist.

haul he stink (******) modder c**t!  (put whatevr adjective yuh want in dey)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
Naipaul learns he has "one" the 1971 Booker from an illiterate note by the publisher Carmen Callil. At a writers' symposium in Sweden our hero and Michael Frayn try their first sauna. When Kurt Vonnegut finds them naked on a bench ("It seems to be getting hotter"; "It's quite hot now"), they are mistakenly still in the changing room. Pity we couldn't have had this as a jacket image.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »
Naipaul learns he has "one" the 1971 Booker from an illiterate note by the publisher Carmen Callil. At a writers' symposium in Sweden our hero and Michael Frayn try their first sauna. When Kurt Vonnegut finds them naked on a bench ("It seems to be getting hotter"; "It's quite hot now"), they are mistakenly still in the changing room. Pity we couldn't have had this as a jacket image.

Two question?

What de hell does dat quote mean?....and how yuh kick off de tibetan flag undercover so?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2008, 04:43:27 PM »
f**k Tibet too

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
f**k Tibet too

blasted kismihass flag flappin yankee
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:03:10 PM by Dutty »

truetrini

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »
f**k Tibet too

blasted kismihass flag flappin yankee

de only flag I have is ah trini flag.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2008, 06:29:29 AM »
When exactly he start getting heat from Trinis?  I think he said something when he won the nobel...didn't read all his books so i not sure if is based on that.
When he was here last year he say is a big misunderstanding...lol
don't really care....just another one of many who leave and don't have good things to say bout home...usually based on bad experiences (even though he claim he is misunderstood...or was it his wife say that?)
for some reason jus cool come to mind...at least when he had now come and was explaining his signature
So how i get in this argument partner. i dun wid the racist talk on this board,BC doh matter what i say in regard to race, it will allways be missunderstood just like my sig. 

PS:for the record, i'm a trinidadian and i love my country, i just real openly critical of the hypocrisy that plague my home town, and the wickedness that most of our less fortunate citizens have to endure under the govt, and the capitalist who happen to be mainly old money white racist facked-up trini's who does segregate their self from the rest of the population in ah real apartheid stylie.

u sure u eh talking bout yuh good ole USA or  even canada???  or Brooklyn eh count
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »

Is it me or TT don't like the English chap?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »

it have anybody TT like??
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »

His ..

President - Bushy
Prime Minister - Manny

and

coconut vendors.. he like the feel of big nuts in his hand and on his lips.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »

Two question?

What de hell does dat quote mean?....and how yuh kick off de tibetan flag undercover so?

The quote is from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/04/12/bonai112.xml

The Tibet flag will be back. It was up there with the South African flag on a human rights level. The fact that South Africa 2010 is the football destination comes as coincidence.

Why? IMV the South African flag and the Tibetan flag hold shared meaning, especially when one interprets current events. These events have presented China with its hugest PR challenge since 1989.

We don't speak much about the 1976 Olympics that we attended and medalled at ... but at which many countries decided not to participate at on the grounds of opposition to sporting links with South Africa.

There are several parallels with what Tibet represents today and what South Africa represented in years past.

truetrini

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »

Plenty I like, but yuh have tuh give meh reason tuh like yuh.

So whappen Organic one, yuh like Very Shitty Naipaul?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »

i doh dislike de man he never do i anythign.. i said i liek him fomr a literary perspective. and i do.
but i perfer sam selvon and micheal anthony ... for reasons in my initial reposne in this thread

truetrini

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
f**k naipaul he is ah ****** c**t

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »

i doh dislike de man he never do i anythign.. i said i liek him fomr a literary perspective. and i do.
but i perfer sam selvon and micheal anthony ... for reasons in my initial reposne in this thread

Green days by the river is still one of my fav books.

doh worry wid TT, he experiencing menopause.