March 28, 2024, 09:37:46 AM

Author Topic: Northwestern signs 7-footer from Lake Forest Academy  (Read 3105 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Northwestern signs 7-footer from Lake Forest Academy
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »
Northwestern signs 7-footer from Lake Forest Academy
Rowley makes group Carmody's best haul
By Neil Milbert | Chicago Tribune reporter

8:22 PM CDT, May 12, 2008

Northwestern basketball fans' dreams of a big man who can make an impact in the Big Ten appear to have come true.

Coach Bill Carmody announced the signing of 7-foot, 280-pound Lake Forest Academy center Kyle Rowley on Monday, completing a 2008-09 recruiting class that is considered the best in his eight seasons at NU.

Previously, Carmody signed 6-11 center Luke Mirkovic, a Serb who spent last season at LaLumiere Academy in Indiana, 6-9 Davide Curletti of St. Mary's in Orchard Lake, Mich., Glenbard West power forward John Shurma and Batavia shooting guard Nick Fruendt.

"It's a nice recruiting class that addresses the problem of size and frontcourt depth with which we certainly have struggled," Carmody said.

"Kyle is a physical presence. He's certainly going to be given the opportunity to get in there and compete immediately. He has an excellent understanding of the game. He sees things and can pass out of the low post.

"We can do some high-low stuff with him and Luke. They're both big kids, but they have different skills. Both of them like it around the basket. Luke is more able to step out and make longer-range shots, but Kyle is getting better at it."

A native of Trinidad who came to Lake Forest Academy in 2007, Rowley chose Northwestern over Ohio State, Wisconsin, Indiana, Georgetown and Pittsburgh.

Rowley, who played for Trinidad and Tobago's Under-18 team last summer, originally planned to attend Lake Forest Academy for another year. But he had enough core courses to graduate and decided to accept Carmody's scholarship offer after averaging 14 points, eight rebounds and two blocked shots last season. He also was an all-league selection in track and field, specializing in shot put and discus.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern signs 7-footer from Lake Forest Academy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »
What , big thing boy .

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
nba next year?
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
Trinidad does grow ppl 7 ft tall?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
you did remember dis 'Oman?
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=34020.msg397150#msg397150
not quite 7ft but near to amazonian status none the less ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:07:13 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
So now he's at St. Mary's... http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=205155606

They ketching dey tail trying to beat some school name Middle Tennessee State in order to advance to the NCAA field of 64.

I dunno who was advising this fella to tell him to choose Northwestern over Georgetown.  Yes I biased, but poor academic decision, poor athletic decision.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
He got one minute of playing time, but they're into the first round  :beermug:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330782393

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
He got one minute of playing time, but they're into the first round  :beermug:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330782393

Yeah I saw him play... that's when I made the post above.  He still looked mad raw to be honest... shocking for a player whose had 5 years of college ball.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
you did remember dis 'Oman?
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=34020.msg397150#msg397150
not quite 7ft but near to amazonian status none the less ;)
So now he's at St. Mary's... http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=205155606

They ketching dey tail trying to beat some school name Middle Tennessee State in order to advance to the NCAA field of 64.

I dunno who was advising this fella to tell him to choose Northwestern over Georgetown.  Yes I biased, but poor academic decision, poor athletic decision.

Yuh eh biased, yuh just speaking the truth.
Hoyas are the home of the BIG men!
I followed Hibbert's (who mother is ah Trini) career at Georgetown Prep and was astonished to see the transformation that he made after going to Georgetown. He couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. But after banging with the big boys in summer pick up games and the Kenner League he eventually turned out to be a first round pick.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

1]; } ?>