April 20, 2024, 02:57:25 AM

Author Topic: Minor League Thread.  (Read 37878 times)

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Pro League says no to "Bandit league' players
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
T&T Pro League says no to "Bandit league' players
BY: NIGEL SIMON ( Trinidad Guardian, 8th-Mar-2008)
The T&T Pro League has taken another bold steps towards protecting its image and that of its participating clubs by taking a decision to punish professional players caught playing in minor leagues competitions.

According to the new rule, when a club cancels a player’s contract for participating in a minor league match the player would also be fined six months wages of which any club wishing to sign him must pay to the league before the player becomes eligible to play for the said club.

Non-contract players will face a minimum sanction of six months before re-entry into the Pro League if caught playing minor league football while they (non-contract player) can continue playing for a minor league team if he so desires.

“The guys have to understand that all teams need to have a strong supporter based which will transfer into good gate receipts and revenue for the clubs which. But if they go about their own way playing in minor league, then the crowds will never show up to watch them play at Pro League matches, because their is a coast cost attached to it.

Something eh sounding right there. They need to clear up this paragraph in bold.  So if a player out of a contract for whatever reason...he decide he going and play minor league ball, then three months later he get a call from a PFL team who want to offer him a contract...yuh mean he and the team hadda wait 6 mths before he could play ?  Yet still he could continue playing with the minor league team...  I don't think the player should be penalised for something like that...unless PFL have some player registry that man must sign on to, so even if yuh not under contract by a team, yuh still under the ambit of the PFL.  Where man go get they bread if they not under a contract ?

I find this Nigel Simon fella always have a set of mistakes/omissions in his articles.  So nobody in the Guardian cyah read over the man editorial and make corrections before they send it out ?  Ah mean the damn thing going all over the world.  Ah always hadda fix he news  ;D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
Wasn't this already posted when the article was written  ???
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »

Hardest cause this mess with the passa passa football tornament in chag!!!!  lol

Does this apply to sweating small goal for recreational game or say do you also ban the footballers from engaging in other recreational sports where they can get hurt, Dont go mountain bike riding cause you may fall or get bounce, or pull a hamsting playing win ball cricket with your kids in the road

this makes some sense but really is it practical, i am not so sure, what about insurance to cover such risk, many loose ends with this one

exactly what constitutes a " bandit league" game ? Most are recreational fun, many loose ends

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
i wish i could say how this come about but rest assured iz not because ah hardest....
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »
So dey does moonlight and wuk elsewhere we all do it. Is it legal when we do it? Some of we do it against we boss wishes if we get caught is d same ting yuh fired.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 08:17:15 PM »
So leh we say because dey went and STILL play minor league football, yuh ban

Cornell Glen

Aurtis Whitley

Hayden Tinto

Keon Daniel

Yuh cyah ban Hyland because he eh playin fuh nobody

What den?  Where does the Pro League put a stop to it?

Do you ban players from playing Minor League Football only?  Only if players gettin PAY yuh go ban dem but fete match is ok?  Or fete match ban too?

Wha bout a WIPA vs Strike Squad charity match and some a dese players get invite as guest players?  They could get injured dey too no?

Or how about de Christmas Mornin sweat by de community centre?  Men could damage a ankle, tear a ACL dey etc.  Dat gettin ban too?

Jes curious.
       First of all what constitutes as being a Minor league,my understanding is any league that is not controled/operated by the governing body for Football in the country,i stand to be corrected.I should think Fete match,Charity match etc etc falls under that,players can't just play in these things it must be sanctioned by leagues/clubs in which they play,it brings me back to players don't have the say we think they have,they under contract i guess they read it before they sign.   

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 11:17:02 PM »
players might have to get a "love og the game" clause in thier contract like jordan did that allowed him to play any where he so choose simply for his love of the game
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »
Pro League is wuk

Minor League football is glory & fun

In many cases, more crowds does show up for some Minor League Football games dan at Pro League games

De Pro League teams have a point as they payinthese players and have dem under contract, but it interestin dat all de comments in dis article comin from Pro League Owners and Coaches.  No comment from de players.

Players want to get paid but also want to have fun at what they do.  In it's current environment, the Pro League CANNOT COMPETE with some Minor Leagues in terms of intangibles.

How they might treat the players

De community feel

De weed, beers, cash wit no tax, girls etc compensation

Minor League Football plays an important role in de overall landscape of T&T football.  While I again state dat de Pro League has a point, I fear dat dey jes ups and decide to ban players rather than maybe trying to come to some sort of compromise.  Ask de players why dey insist on playin Minor League football and what can be done so dat is a kinda win win for all.

We not England and dem places so while we can BORROW from their model, we cyah take everyting wholesale and implement it. 

This makes no sense whatsoever. If you are a professional football team owner you would feel the same way. You have invested in your players if they are injured playing in a minor league game then what? Your team suffers. This is business. The players are professionals. Them things doh happen no where else but T&T. Time to be professionals and think and act like professionals.
Then again the PFL needs to market itself better than it currently is doing and all the intangibles will follow.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 04:02:56 AM »
So leh we say because dey went and STILL play minor league football, yuh ban

Cornell Glen

Aurtis Whitley

Hayden Tinto

Keon Daniel

Yuh cyah ban Hyland because he eh playin fuh nobody

What den? Where does the Pro League put a stop to it?

Do you ban players from playing Minor League Football only? Only if players gettin PAY yuh go ban dem but fete match is ok? Or fete match ban too?

Wha bout a WIPA vs Strike Squad charity match and some a dese players get invite as guest players?  They could get injured dey too no?

Or how about de Christmas Mornin sweat by de community centre?  Men could damage a ankle, tear a ACL dey etc.  Dat gettin ban too?

Jes curious.

Charity matches are played all over the world e.g Zidane11 vs Ronaldo11, Kanu heart foundation match etc, and players are given permision by their clubs to participate, as its seen both as a measure of good will, and also donation from club to that particular charity. These games are normally also very laid back affairs so risk of impact injuries are minimal. Goin an sweat down de park wid some ah dem wile men is a different scene, or minor league football which is not approved by the club that holds your registration is a breach of contract and should be punished  by what is put in place. We can't call the league a pro league and have a less than amateur mentallity about it. I fully agree with what the pro league has implemented. On the case of marketing the league , that's a different matter all together. 

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »
wham to these owners and dem, men from behind de bridge have to eat ah food.  :'(
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Clubs taking stern action against minor league offenders
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
Taken from TTPro League Website

Tuesday, 06 April 2010 17:56    

Ma Pau SC has joined the fight against minor league offenders making a bold statement this week by entering midfielder Rennie Britto on its transfer list.

The club issued a statement on Tuesday that they are willing to entertain any offers for the midfielder who breached his contract over the Easter weekend by participating in minor league football.

Britto, who recently signed a two-year extension ending December 2011 at Ma Pau that is estimated to be worth over $120,000.00, was one of many Pro League players who participated in the Bourg Mulatresse tournament over the weekend.

“Ma Pau is taking a stance with the League in terms of minor league football participation by our players,” the Ma Pau statement said. “It’s unfortunate, but players aren’t serious about professional football and we are of the clear opinion that players are not pushing towards becoming professionals.”

Ma Pau has also imposed a fine on Britto in its effort to crack down on minor league offenders.

Police FC and San Juan Jabloteh are also in the fight against minor league having offenders in the very same tournament.

Police FC are withdrawing six(6) of its players from the 2010 roster until futher notice for participating in the Bourg Mulatresse tournament. Those players goalkeeper Emmanuel Nurse, Jason James, Kaaron Foster, Randy Britto, Hayden Janes and Terryl Alwin.

Meantime Jabloteh player/coach Marvin Oliver has been stripped of his assistant coach responsibilities at the club, plus received a fifty percent cut in salary for the month along with teammate Noel Williams.

Oliver stripped of assistant coach responsibilities at Jabloteh  
Tuesday, 06 April 2010 16:43    

Oliver stripped of assistant coach responsibilities at Jabloteh
Former TT Pro League Player of the Year Marvin Oliver has been stripped of his assistant coach role at San Juan Jabloteh following his involvement in “minor league” football.

The 34 year old midfielder and captain was involved in coaching and managing a “minor league” team, Real vs San Juan on Monday during a Bourg Mulatresse tournament in which he had his Jabloteh teammate Noel Williams playing centre forward, according to Jabloteh Technical Director/Coach Terry Fenwick.

Fenwick who describes it as “a moment of madness by Marvin” said he made a surprise appearance at the game following a tip off from a Jabloteh fan on Sunday.

Fenwick explained that he is furious over the matter and stripped Oliver of his assistant coach responsibilities at the club along with 50 percent salary deductions to both Oliver and Noel. Both players have also been suspended from training.

It is estimated that Oliver and Noel will lose ten times what they earned playing in the minor league.

“Marvin Oliver who I had total respect for, has blown away my respect for him,” said Fenwick. “He is still a good player…no doubt about that. However he has shown total disregard for our club, our supporters, the people of San Juan and his profession.

“Just I did with (former assistant coach) Angus Eve, I had high hopes for Marvin in his development as a coach and a respected role model. However his actions have left me extremely disappointed!”

Fenwick added that both players have failed the club in providing role models—something that is clearly lacking in the Trinidad and Tobago society.

“Noel Williams is still a police cadet,” stressed the Jabloteh coach. “He has not only let himself down, but solid people like Ingrid Maxwell and Isa Mohammed at the Police services.

“We have been trying to help Noel with his life away from football but he has let down good people who are trying to help him in life. Its a shame, simple things like these are making people lose faith. The police service is working hard to build bridges with the people of this country and I’m very disappointed that he would do something like this.

“Trinidad and Tobago is suffering due to the lack of positive role models because people are looking up to all the wrong things. It’s right that we at Jabloteh do whatever is possible to generate our role models through our development programme because we understand that this beautiful country needs beautiful people in it,” ended Fenwick.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:36:18 PM by soccerrama »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Clubs taking stern action against minor league offenders
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
The mindset must change

This must happen

Make it stick!

PROFESSIONAL OR BUST!
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »
D Hardest Clause
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
Legal action should be taken against the minor leagues as well if you want this to stop.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
Legal action should be taken against the minor leagues as well if you want this to stop.

How is that? What are they doing that is illegal. I think the clubs are right to do suspend them guys. These guys sign a contract with their clubs.  Them is pros. They should not do that.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
      I will not agree with you there,players who play in minor leagues is a personal choice and they know what the consequences are,Minor Leagues serve a purpose and that's to create Football all over the country,all these players that getting in trouble that's where they come from,it's an addiction and if they have matured they must understand what's good for their future as players.
        Minor league is for certain players,it's community,village,town,team rivalry etc besides playing they derive a certain amount of heroism from people that knows them,may be it have a little money but these guys have contracts/a job,why are they jeopardizing that?times have change and i'm glad these clubs are putting their foot down.
        We can't pressure the minor leagues,that's one way of killing Football in the country,just continue to do exactly what the clubs are doing,find the culprits and make them pay in some way.        

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
Coops,
              I agree with you dey. Times have changed. I used to play minor league ball, especially just before the POSFL/NSL div2 started. I played with Essex. But I was an amateur. I was working PTSC 8-4 and at times had to work overtime and missed practice. If Essex used to pay me like how them guys getting paid nowadys, I would not have played minor league.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ma Pau transfer list Rennie Britto.
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »
Clubs taking stern action against minor league offenders.
By: Randy Bando (ttproleague).

Ma Pau SC has joined the fight against minor league offenders making a bold statement this week by entering midfielder Rennie Britto on its transfer list.

The club issued a statement on Tuesday that they are willing to entertain any offers for the midfielder who breached his contract over the Easter weekend by participating in minor league football.

Britto, who recently signed a two-year extension ending December 2011 at Ma Pau that is estimated to be worth over $120,000.00, was one of many Pro League players who participated in the Bourg Mulatresse tournament over the weekend.

“Ma Pau is taking a stance with the League in terms of minor league football participation by our players,” the Ma Pau statement said. “It’s unfortunate, but players aren’t serious about professional football and we are of the clear opinion that players are not pushing towards becoming professionals.”

Ma Pau has also imposed a fine on Britto in its effort to crack down on minor league offenders.

Police FC and San Juan Jabloteh are also in the fight against minor league having offenders in the very same tournament.

Police FC are withdrawing six (6) of its players from the 2010 roster until futher notice for participating in the Bourg Mulatresse tournament. Those players goalkeeper Emmanuel Nurse, Jason James, Kaaron Foster, Randy Britto, Hayden Janes and Terryl Alwin.

Meantime Jabloteh player/coach Marvin Oliver has been stripped of his assistant coach responsibilities at the club, plus received a fifty percent cut in salary for the month along with teammate Noel Williams.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 08:42:01 AM »
Professional only in name.  Then, these same fellas does vex when the foreign-based come home and take their spots.  Professionalism is an attitude, and these fellas obviously don't see what they're doing as a job, and that they are risking their careers by participating in these backyard matches.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 08:49:48 AM »
A deal worth over $120,000.00 !!!! ....

Not bad.

Ma Pau spending they money yes.

Rennie Britto was making something like 6 thousand dollars (plus incentives) a month and he is not even they star player. Not bad.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline HEARNAR

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »
 This move is a good starting point make these players accountable for the indiscretions. They have to remember they are under contract.:applause:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
Ma Pau and Police taking chain up from Fenwick though. The best you could do is fine them players cause by selling them or withdrawing from your roster, you only weakening yourself and they will probably just go play for another pro-league side.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »
Remember I live in the US so I'll defer to what the locals say more specificially, however, two things jump out at me:
1  Players putting their professional careers at risk for what many would call "small glory" or
2. Players are so desperate to feel good about themselves and play in front of a local crowd that they are willing to put their careers at risk....

Interesting observation.  Tells us that either money is not the real issue and also guys have no idea how to be professional or what professionalism is.

Arimian to meh heart

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
Interesting point about them yearning for local support, Arimaman.  I think if the clubs were rooted in their local communities, this would definitely be a less frequent occurrence.  At the same time, they need to act like professionals.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
Ma Pau and Police taking chain up from Fenwick though. The best you could do is fine them players cause by selling them or withdrawing from your roster, you only weakening yourself and they will probably just go play for another pro-league side.

You have something personal against Fenwick?  I jus curious cause I notice yuh always have issue with him and mention him.  Unless i misread Fenwick suspended and fined as opposed to transfer listed his players.

I say this is a good move by all teams because the message must be clear.  It also shows that is not just if yuh play fuh ah certain team yuh ha to worry.  These fellas don't seem to be serious about football as a career if they willing to jeopordize it this way.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:16 AM »
Interesting point about them yearning for local support, Arimaman.  I think if the clubs were rooted in their local communities, this would definitely be a less frequent occurrence.  At the same time, they need to act like professionals.

I'm not quite sure these guys know what professionalism is or how to be professional.  That's the sad part.  At the same time, we don't know how the clubs treat them and whether it is in a professional manner as well......Sad sad situation.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Sam
120000 over 2 years is 5000 a month TT.

Small money

Take out tax, gas money, box of KFC and some doubles and your money done?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
So the players need to do whatever because $6000/month is no money. The clubs have money at their disposal so the players could take that money and then do whatever. No scene.

So feast today and farming tomorrow. These players should not want to aspire to play in foreign or at a next level as this game for them is just a hobby.

Arimaman, you think is a yearn for attention or the yearn to impress ah "lil ting" on the side to beat out and pose?

These fellas need to decide and grow up. Is either you want this to be a career or you just on pips. You can't have both unless you play for community teams. Clubs putting out monies for:

Uniforms
Players
Coaches
Staff
Equipment
Travel
Food
Facilities (whatever it is)
Marketing
League fees

As small as it is compared to Man United and Chelsea (who around since the late 1800s to early 1900s), it is still money being invested and they (the clubs) should expect some form of return on investment - even if it's hardwork and committment to the clubs' cause.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »
Well said Elan :beermug:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
I think these men playing minor league for money... seems the logical reason all things considered.
Cyah blame a man for wanting a side job if the primary one not paying as much as people may believe.

1]; } ?>