April 25, 2024, 08:34:22 PM

Author Topic: Match gets green light.  (Read 4476 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Match gets green light.
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
Match gets green light.
By: Denyse Renne & Mark Pouchet (Express).

TTFF, Ministry of Sport lawyers settle stadium row

Saturday, May 24th 2008   

"The game will go on."

This was the assurance given by attorneys for both the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) and the Ministry of Sport yesterday, following a special High Court sitting at the Hall of Justice, Port of Spain.

The matter, which came up before Justice Carol Gobin, lasted less than two hours, as attorneys for both parties arrived at a settlement over the historic June 1 international friendly between England and Trinidad and Tobago at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

The agreement came around 8.10 p.m., when the T&TFF agreed to pay the permanent secretary of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs a flat fee of $150,000 for full use of the stadium from May 29 to June 1.

The agreement also noted that the deadline for payment be made on or before May 27 at 4 p.m.

Another condition agreed upon was the use of a digital scoreboard, which will be subject to a fee to advertisers, but free for advertising motivational messages. The figure to compensate for the use of the scoreboard is to be agreed upon, following the completion of the match, in a subsequent court hearing.

Commenting on the agreement, Justice Gobin said: "It is a pity that things had to reach here. This could have been settled outside of court."

Lawyers for both sides-Om Lalla representing the T&TFF and Elton Prescott SC for the Ministry-commended each other on reaching an amicable resolution.

Speaking with reporters following the ruling, Lalla said: "We are happy that the matter has been resolved because of good counsel on both sides and now the people of Trinidad and Tobago could benefit from the upcoming game."

And following the adjournment of Parliament last night, Minister of Sport Gary Hunt said his Ministry was always on "amicable footing".

"We always wanted the match to take place," Hunt said, adding the Ministry would concede the rights for advertising and alcohol to the T&TFF.

He also expressed hope that the T&TFF would use the extra income earned from the concession of those rights to develop young footballers in the country.

After Hunt tried to secure a photo opportunity, T&TFF adviser Jack Warner, who also holds the post of FIFA vice-president, berated the Minister in front of the media.

"You have failed as a Minister of Sport. You are the worst Minister of Sport ever," Warner thundered.

Yesterday's mutual agreement came on the heels of a row between the Ministry of Sport and the T&TFF over rental fees for the use of the stadium.

The T&TFF claimed in an injunction filed in the High Court that the Ministry breached its initial contractual obligations in a March 15, 2008, agreement, by offering the Federation a revised agreement on May 15.

BOSOM BUDDIES: Minister of Sport Gary Hunt, left, greets a hesitant Jack Warner, Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser and Chaguanas West MP, following the adjournment of Parliament at the Red House last night. The disputed June 1 international friendly between England and the T&T Soca Warriors will come off after lawyers for the T&TFF filed an injunction yesterday afternoon in a row with the Ministry of Sport over rental fees for the Hasely Crawford Stadium. The Federation and the Ministry arrived at a settlement in the High Court late yesterday evening.-Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK
Late evening court sitting: T&T-England match on.
By: Francis Joseph (T&T Guardian)

Saturday 24th May, 2008

THE international friendly between T&T and England will be played on June 1 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium after all.

Agreement was reached at 7.38 last night, after the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) took Minister of Sport Gary Hunt to court for trying to impose a new lease agreement on the TTFF for the use of the stadium, just two weeks before the scheduled match.

The new agreement threatened to prohibit alcohol and tobacco advertising, which, according to the TTFF, had already been negotiated with sponsors and the English Football Association (FA).

The England team had already been announced and 70 British journalists have been accredited, along with another 80 from the Caribbean and the Americas.

A meeting between the TTFF and Hunt last Wednesday at the Ministry of Sport failed to resolve the dispute, which was reported in the major newspapers in Britain the following day.

It was agreed that further talks would take place yesterday.

But Om Lalla, attorney for the TTFF, dispatched a letter to Hunt yesterday morning, seeking a resolution.

Lalla gave the Minister until midday yesterday to resolve the matter, or be taken to court.

When no reply was received by 4 pm, the TTFF went to the Port-of-Spain High Court, seeking judicial review of the decisions taken in the new agreement.

The matter was called before Justice Carol Gobin at 5.42 pm.

Lalla and Kelvin Ramkissoon appeared for the TTFF, while Senior State attorney Neil Byam represented the Minister of Sport.

From the outset, Gobin wanted to know if a resolution could not be reached without the court embarking on a full hearing.

Gobin took notice of a letter dated May 23, written by Simon Johnson, Director of Corporate Affairs of the English FA, threatening legal action for breach of contract with the TTFF if the match was cancelled.

In a strongly-worded letter, Johnson gave the TTFF until 9 am today to decide if the match was going to be played.

England players, their security teams, and journalists, were left wondering if the match would be played at all.

That letter was uppermost in the mind of the judge as she pointed out the urgency of the matter before her. She was prepared to sit and decide the matter, even if it meant continuing the hearing into this morning.

She stood the case down for half an hour, by which time Elton Prescott SC arrived to lead the team on behalf of the Minister.

The judge exercised extreme patience as she left the courtroom on five occasions to facilitate negotiations between the parties.

During one of the breaks, Prescott spoke with the Minister by cell phone.

Eventually, and to the relief of both sides, there was agreement.

Prescott returned to the court and announced that the TTFF would pay to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Sport, $150,000 for the rental of the stadium for the June 1 match.

The issue of ten percent of gate receipts did not arise as the Minister of Sport had abandoned that idea since Wednesday.

The $150,000 is to be paid by 4 pm on May 27. The TTFF will be able to use the electronic scoreboard at the stadium free of charge for posting of the score. But advertisers will have to pay a fee for the use of the scoreboard.

Prescott said his client would do nothing to prevent the match from being played.

The items which the Ministry of Sport requested in the new lease agreement have fallen by the wayside: the $45,000 deposit in the event of damage; 100 VVIP tickets for the Ministry of Sport; $5,000 plus VAT concession fee; $10,000 for each of the 32 billboards on the perimeter of the field; $5,000 for secondary billboards outside the stadium; $1,000 for a letter to apply for the liquor licence; and $2,000 for each media booth.

When the agreement was reached, Gobin said she was happy that the parties approached the matter in a conciliatory manner. She said it was a pity that the case had to reach to court before an agreement was reached. In court for the consent order were Richard Groden, general secretary of the TTFF, and Shaun Fuentes, media officer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:12:44 AM by Flex »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Match gets green light
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »
llook dem shaking hands. im sure hunt reached out first. anyway i didnt doubt the match was going to not happen

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »

After Hunt tried to secure a photo opportunity, T&TFF adviser Jack Warner, who also holds the post of FIFA vice-president, berated the Minister in front of the media.

"You have failed as a Minister of Sport. You are the worst Minister of Sport ever," Warner thundered.

BOSOM BUDDIES: Minister of Sport Gary Hunt, left, greets a hesitant Jack Warner, Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser and Chaguanas West MP, following the adjournment of Parliament at the Red House last night. The disputed June 1 international friendly between England and the T&T Soca Warriors will come off after lawyers for the T&TFF filed an injunction yesterday afternoon in a row with the Ministry of Sport over rental fees for the Hasely Crawford Stadium. The Federation and the Ministry arrived at a settlement in the High Court late yesterday evening.-Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »
look at jack face nah, he eh smilin at all bouy. :rotfl:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »
SMILE !!! after the man try to box bread out ah jackular's mouth !
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
llook dem shaking hands. im sure hunt reached out first. anyway i didnt doubt the match was going to not happen
Eh lawo, i love that photo shop bro, well done.   :devil: :beermug:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 11:14:58 PM »
updated above with Guardian article detailing court proceedings

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »
Hunt move like ah real backside dey...real novice thing.  Looks like ah was giving him too much credit.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 05:02:42 AM »
So after all de bachanal, stress, headache, posturing etc. etc de only thing dat change is the $3,000 to $150,000??   ah eh see why de could not also pay the deposit for damages.....and what de hell Hunt doing looking for photo op wid Jack...steups.

.....anywho folks, enjoy the game, it goh be de last one in de stadium for a long, long, long time....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Match gets green light.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
Was there evr a red light. There has been sme changes because I sure Jack go cut dat check and make sure it reach d Ministry by 3 not 4 as Madam Justice give him. So all dem 3000 dat neva was paid is 150,000 bein paid by wed 3. Yuh know cash does close 3 in dem Ministry  them
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »
Excellent precedent set. Good job by Hunt as far as I can see it now.

Couldn't have turned out better. Jackula brings attention to his cantankerous self, at a time when the Warriors have him lookin' like a proven tief, just after he was told by UK arbitration to shut up and pay up. He makes a big pappyshow filin' an injunction, after Hunt shows tactical flexibility at the last minute while still retaining a symbolic position of strength in his (Hunt's) request for the 150,000 instead of the 10%. Jackula loses the case miserably, hoping to pay the old rip-off fee of 3000 dullahs and walks out pouting like a jackulass after having to 4k out 150,000 dullahs and additionally has to pay lawyer fees for the case. And the game is on still with Jackulito being forced to reveal that it songin' like a bribe that he in, to get the England team to come anyway.

This is the first time in a long time that Jackula has been ordered by a court an' told to 4k out some dunseye like dis 150 thousand dullahs. That's a great precedent, as we expect no less the next time. Next time it go be 10% in he ruckuhtuhkungkung. No 2 ways about dat, yuh hear!!!  >:(  Carol Gobin told him what time it is in dis "rongs" and that's de end of that. He could call she unpatriotic too nah but she might just sen' he backside packin' to Golden Grove for contempt of court.

So, he better pay de money (ON TIME!) and shut his blasted mout'. The winner was the campaign for accountability, with a first small step achieved. Jackulito will know that the (complete) rip-off days are over. Plenty people are expecting more of him now with at least minimal levels of appropriateness in business deals with OUR Warriors and OUR facilities.

I am happy. Niceness.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:45:37 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:55 PM »
Dreamer boi happi like pappi. I await d news dat he pay d 150k
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »
glad to hear the news

but i have a question related to these 2 individuals...didnt see a thread on it and didnt see the sense in starting up a new one

Just read that Warner said that Gary Hunt didnt sign the letter for the U17 WC
can someone plz give me a logical explanation as to y he wouldnt sign it??

i dont think it would cost as much as the last Youth WC held here since we already have the stadiums in place
what is the deal behind this whole scene?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
hadda be a real reason
Hunt not likin Warner aint enuff...sounds like the easy answer to run to....

as a sports minister he shoudl promote it. And is not like we are a poor nation say like Haiti(no offense to any Haitians on the board...u know better than that), so we should be able to stage it..
shouldnt we?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
glad to hear the news

but i have a question related to these 2 individuals...didnt see a thread on it and didnt see the sense in starting up a new one

i dont think it would cost as much as the last Youth WC held here since we already have the stadiums in place

Hunt says that more notice was needed... a proper proposal needed to be brought to the Ministry, not the TTFF deciding things on their own then springing the news on the Ministry last minute.  I think he said that too open for discussion though.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 10:28:07 PM »
glad to hear the news

Hunt says that more notice was needed... a proper proposal needed to be brought to the Ministry, not the TTFF deciding things on their own then springing the news on the Ministry last minute.  I think he said that too open for discussion though.
I ent Know about allya, but the way this Governmant/Minister moving it gives me a good feeling for the future.

"Is time to do tings RIGHT"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:30:22 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »
i agree with that though...
time to do things right

but the shit about this game needed to be handled in a more professional manner if all the statements made by Hunt were true. (about him sending the letter since b4 april and never got a response)

put TT in a bad light....esp. since we all know and so does the whole world now that the game only goin on so they could get JAck Warner votes.

I suggest that after we play d game, Warner tell the English FA...."hhhmmmm i'll need to sleep on it"
and organise some games against Italy, Brazil, for example or whoever else lookin to host that WC
lol
what all ya say?
lol

we done looking bad, cah get much worse...soo...might as well!
lol

ya cah be later than late...so jus do it!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 07:16:24 AM »
i agree with that though...
time to do things right

but the shit about this game needed to be handled in a more professional manner if all the statements made by Hunt were true. (about him sending the letter since b4 april and never got a response)

put TT in a bad light....esp. since we all know and so does the whole world now that the game only goin on so they could get JAck Warner votes.

I suggest that after we play d game, Warner tell the English FA...."hhhmmmm i'll need to sleep on it"
and organise some games against Italy, Brazil, for example or whoever else lookin to host that WC
lol
what all ya say?
lol

we done looking bad, cah get much worse...soo...might as well!
lol

ya cah be later than late...so jus do it!

Well...actually...i remember Warner on CNC3 was saying that this isnt going to be the biggest friendly for the year....there is one coming up later. Unless is Brazil...with Ronaldinho....me eh wasting no money nah....and even then i go still be reluctant and hadda debate if i going or not.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »
Well...actually...i remember Warner on CNC3 was saying that this isnt going to be the biggest friendly for the year....there is one coming up later. Unless is Brazil...with Ronaldinho....me eh wasting no money nah....and even then i go still be reluctant and hadda debate if i going or not.

I think he said that it wasn't the biggest GAME of the year. I might be grasping at straws, but in his (and my) mind, playing the US (or even Guatemala) at home in a competitive match in a win or go home scenario might be an even bigger match than the fete sweat against England A B+
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 07:49:46 AM »

I think he said that it wasn't the biggest GAME of the year. I might be grasping at straws, but in his (and my) mind, playing the US (or even Guatemala) at home in a competitive match in a win or go home scenario might be an even bigger match than the fete sweat against England A B+

Well i thinking in JackulaJargon. What for him would qualify a big game? A game in terms of significance or in terms of revenue?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »

Well i thinking in JackulaJargon. What for him would qualify a big game? A game in terms of significance or in terms of revenue?

Revenue, Sah ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »
I was just wondering

Who more stingy Jack or the Grinch.... ??? ??? ???

To me all this brew ha ha is just showing up the TTFF as being fiscially unsound,for all the money they have robbed the players and fans for how many years now,this should not be.while expecting the government to keep bailing them out,at some point in time enough is enough

Is jack slipping down a slipery slop,time will tell I sense that he has met his match in the personality of the present Sports minster

I will be looking to see what happens,when the next important match that involves the Warriors,how that is handled

Can anyone provide any info on what PFATT has to say on the players contracts for this game,as I have not seen any mention of it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
Check d FPATT overseas players thread

1]; } ?>